Sign in to follow this  
Dr Terrible

Our problems-Its not just last year-its the last 3 years!

Reading what people have said on here they seem to have an obsession with the anti delia brigade moaning because of last seasons pathetic contribution.

In fact we have been in decline from the moment we won the league due to lack of investment.

That is 3 years of crap!

And people have the nerve to make out those who are complaining are fickle because its only been 1 season.

for me worthy was far too much the scapegoat.

People need to seriously think what positive influence has our board had since winning the league?

Investment in the playing staff was too late in the prem,  but bearing in mind Flem Holt and Eddy continued to play despite having far better players in the squad I cant see how that is the boards fault?

Since relegation the manager has had one of the largest budgets in the league yet has spent it poorly on players lacking desire to compete,  leading to  ateam that can do well when bothered but generally only doing enough to survive.  Again this is primarily a managers role -  Colchester have performed far better with a smaller budget due to a better manager and more desire in their players.

Grants moments of truth are upon us,  shaping the squad he wants during the summer and gaining the desire and consistency we are currently missing.   If he cant work his magic with the solid basic squad he has to work around then its for the board to act quickly and decisively.

The board are not innocents in all of this but the budget is healthy if not enormous and its up to the manager to work successfully within it.   

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Investment in the playing staff was too late in the prem,  but bearing in mind Flem Holt and Eddy continued to play despite having far better players in the squad I cant see how that is the boards fault?

Since relegation the manager has had one of the largest budgets in the league yet has spent it poorly on players lacking desire to compete,  leading to  ateam that can do well when bothered but generally only doing enough to survive.  Again this is primarily a managers role -  Colchester have performed far better with a smaller budget due to a better manager and more desire in their players.

Grants moments of truth are upon us,  shaping the squad he wants during the summer and gaining the desire and consistency we are currently missing.   If he cant work his magic with the solid basic squad he has to work around then its for the board to act quickly and decisively.

The board are not innocents in all of this but the budget is healthy if not enormous and its up to the manager to work successfully within it.   

[/quote]

Agree, budget aside I want to see some positives from Grant this summer and it''s up to him, with the right level of support, to mould a team in his own image.

A lot has been said on this forum about Delia and the board in general in recent times and I have had my say too but I think it is unfair to start laying the blame for the last few seasons at one person''s door. 

It''s fair to say that the club have made a fair few mistakes in the last 3 seasons ranging from the board, manager and players.  We spent money too late on a striker in the PL while the board waited to count the SKY money.  Worthington spent poorly the next summer with the likes of Hughes etc and we put too much emphasis on trying to keep players here who clearly wanted out and subsequently did leave.  Last summer was a bit of a joke with only Croft signing before the season started which was well short of what we needed in terms of squad numbers and just a general boost for the club and supporters that new players bring.  In between all this, the players have badly underperformed on many, many occasions letting everybody down.  I''m not talking about losing matches here, teams lose, it happens.  Sometimes it happens when you don’t deserve it.  What I''m talking about is the complete no shows in games against Stoke etc where there was no contest at all.

This is exactly the same thread as the "who do you blame" one from last week. Look Wayne, you even got the Colchester example again! Do you understand it better now that ZLF has explained it far more clearly than me?