Sign in to follow this  
Boyo

Midfield to be built around safri

from the last couple of seasons i think youssef safri is our main man in midfield (and probably the whole team) so i think regardless of what Peter Grant thinks he should be put in the team before Fotheringham and etuhu and i also think the midfield and the whole team should be built around him instead of huckerby.  Why cant Peter Grant see this. 

[quote user="Boyo"]Why cant Peter Grant see this. [/quote]How do you know he can''t?He''s had a little over half a season to get a feel for what the existing players are fit for and the coming season is what I''m going to be judging Peter Grant''s managerial nous on.

Disagree.

Safri, is not, imho, our ''main man'', infact I don''t think anyone is, also, building a team around one player would be nonsensical, and finally, there is a chance Safri could leave this summer.

[quote user="Boyo"]

from the last couple of seasons i think youssef safri is our main man in midfield (and probably the whole team) so i think regardless of what Peter Grant thinks he should be put in the team before Fotheringham and etuhu and i also think the midfield and the whole team should be built around him instead of huckerby.  Why cant Peter Grant see this. 

[/quote]

I would think/hope Peter Grant is aiming to build a team with balance, strong across the whole pitch.

Safri is a good player and, at this level, a very good passer of the ball. But without doubt The Dazzler is the best player at this club.

I definately think that Safri''s presence usually has quite a big effect on how we play, but i think to base the future midfield around him would be foolish because he is so often absent due to injury, suspension and international duty. If anything we could look at getting a midfield that didnt rely on safri to make decent play.

Even if Safri stays next season... and he probably wont... i don''t think we''ll get more than 15 games out of him, we need a consistant performer to build around, and right now... we''re not exactly blessed in that department. Wholesale changes required in defence and midfield... and hope that they gel early on... we need to get people in asap... not a week before the start of new season.

Because he is injury prone, that is a fact. put this club before his country then he may well have a chance of being our main midfielder.

because he playes when he wants and is injured half the time and has not been fit for more than 5 games this season

A lot depends on which Etuhu turns up next season,

If it is the same Etuhu who played in the first half of the recent Ipswich match then I feel he should be the midfield nucleus.

His performance in that 45 minute period was probably the best I have seen in fifty years or so watching Norwich. His distribution and vision were first rate and his presence domineering. 

Youseff comes and goes for various reasons and I think we need someone more consistently available both physically and mentally to build our team around.

I feel that Etuhu is more often available fitness wise, if he can add the same consistency to his performances then he will be our "main man" next season.

IMHO.

African Nations?

Ramadan?

Whilst I love the little fella the fact remains we simply will not get enough games out of him so highly unlikely

I dont think we have any players really to build the team around. I wouldnt build it around any of the midfield due to lack of consistency in form and appearance. i also wouldnt build it around Hucks as this is likely to be his last season now so perhaps we should start preparing ourselves to attack as a team. The team needs restructured in my view, and that requires signings.

[quote user="Bury Green"]

African Nations?

Ramadan?

Whilst I love the little fella the fact remains we simply will not get enough games out of him so highly unlikely

[/quote]

Ramadan does not affect professional athletes.. for the millionth time!

jas :)

the only reason safri is always injured is because he is the only man who gets stuck in unlike etuhu who just cruises along all game.

He will be missing for a month of the season due to the African Nations assuming Morocco qualify. If the last time he went is anything to go by he will come back a shadow of the player he is in the December.

Too injury prone and these tend to be muscle problems as apposed to contact injuries.

Plus this year he missed  game because he was "too tired". Too Tired!!!! He quite simply cannot play Saturday Tuesday Saturday which rather restricts the possibility of a building a team round him.....

Does not score enough goals either - one 20yd special a season for a player with his skills isn''t enough. I wouldn''t mind if the defensive side of his game was upto it but in the last 2 years we have conceded to many goals where players have strolled through a non-existent midfield - not something that happened too often when Holt was playing as the defensive midfielder.

I wouldn''t disagree with the view that he is one of our better players and is a decent passer. I just think we need to look at making sure their is serious competition for his place next year.

[quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]That''s a matter of opinion.[/quote]

Mohammed Ali never shirked out of a figh due to being "tired due to Ramadan" did he?

Niether did Zinedine Zidane need 2 weeks off in November.

Ramadan is a fast during Daylight Hours... in Britain in November its dark by 4pm.... so Youssef (and other Muslims involved in sport) can eat and drink freely without worrying... it doe''snt get light till about 8am.. so fo example if Youssef woke up at 7 am and had a large Carbohydrate/energy producing breakfast he would be ok until 4pm on a saturday where, once the dark has rolled in, he can munch on a chocolate bar, or something for energy...

for a midweeker its not a problem.. have a meal at 4pm and ur right as rain by 7:45.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]That''s a matter of opinion.[/quote]

Mohammed Ali never shirked out of a figh due to being "tired due to Ramadan" did he?

Niether did Zinedine Zidane need 2 weeks off in November.

Ramadan is a fast during Daylight Hours... in Britain in November its dark by 4pm.... so Youssef (and other Muslims involved in sport) can eat and drink freely without worrying... it doe''snt get light till about 8am.. so fo example if Youssef woke up at 7 am and had a large Carbohydrate/energy producing breakfast he would be ok until 4pm on a saturday where, once the dark has rolled in, he can munch on a chocolate bar, or something for energy...

for a midweeker its not a problem.. have a meal at 4pm and ur right as rain by 7:45.

[/quote]

I don''t know. Did Ali actually win a title fight during Ramadan?

As you point out, it depends where dawn and dusk (and kick-off!) fall at Ramadan. You have conveniently chosen November when there is less daylight hours and obviously less of a problem. (I haven''t checked when Ramadan falls in 2007/2008 ...)

it also depends on the athlete and some cope better than others. I like Safri - but he''s hardly a sportsman of the calibre of the 2 examples you''ve chosen - and unless its a coincidence, his form has dipped previously during Ramadan, and this, together with his injury and discipline record, and his disappearances with Morocco, undermines his position........in my opinion