Sign in to follow this  
jetstream

DION IS STAYING! OFFICIAL NEWS...

http://www.canaries.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetails/0,,10355~1028583,00.html

One more season.

Confirmed by the Club.

This is great news for everyone at the club, I do hope this one year deal comes with a coaching option. He brings so much experience for the team and offers much for the youngsters at the club.Great News

While I accept how happy people are about this, I am finding it a little hard to get very excited about it.

It still leaves us needing to bring in a couple of defenders and another striker. I really hope signing up Dion is not the alternative to signing someone like Baptiste, because I would be pretty annoyed if that was the case.

[quote user="mbncfc"]

While I accept how happy people are about this, I am finding it a little hard to get very excited about it.

It still leaves us needing to bring in a couple of defenders and another striker. I really hope signing up Dion is not the alternative to signing someone like Baptiste, because I would be pretty annoyed if that was the case.

[/quote]Dion was offered the contract way before baptiste was even mentioned. So i don''t think this is the case.

Can only be good news.  Dion offers far more than his on the pitch performances, he injects a different

mind set and attitude into the team and is a great example to our youngsters.  Just ask yourself, did he

have a positive effect last season: YES so loosing him would have been negative, keeping him is

positive, end of. Has no bearing on other transfers. In my view, if he plays less next season due to being

older,  his off the pitch and unoffical coaching / mentor roles will increase to compensate.  Also I like watching him

play, which is more than I can say for a fair few of the also rans on show last year.

[quote user="mbncfc"]

[/quote]

I Have similar views mbncfc, if he had decided to leave i wouldnt really have been too dissapointed. I know he adds experience to the squad, but i really hope Grant hasnt got him down for a 1st choce spot because a) he wouldnt manage half the games, (contradicting what Grant  says about consistency) and b)  he isnt good enough if we want to be a competative side at the right end, there is no way he''s good enough up front and i have doubts as to whether him playing as a Centre Half next season is in the short or long term best interests of NCFC.

This is great news, it really is [:D].

I think Grant knows that he''ll only get about 20 or so starts from him next season, so I''d be surprised if he did let up his search for another central defender/forward.

He''s a fantastic role model and consummate professional who''s looked after himself really well and is a shining example to all the youngsters coming through the Norwich City Academy [:D].

DIIIIIIION, DION, DION, DION!!!

agree with most of the posters here.. what Dion offer off the pitch is just as important, if not important, than what he offers on it

a great player and im sure he will go into coaching or some kind of media role in the club which can still only benefit us even more.

good news!

jas :)

I have no problems with what he brings off the pitch, and if they could offer him a role to run alongside his playing contract or make him club captain, I think that would be excellent.

I am also sure we were and will be linked with all kinds of players regardless of Dion signing for next season. 

PG has said: "Probably by the end of next week I would have to know, because then I know whether I have to replace him or not, so it is important to us and I am sure Dion understands that as well... I will have to know probably within the next 10 days what he is going to do, because it lets me be clear in my mind what I am going to do."

But I also agree with PGTA completely, in that I don''t want Grant or the Board to now think ''Well, we''ve got Dion there so we won''t bring him in...'' as I think that will hinder our long-term progess.

It is good he will be here next season, but I still find the rebuilding the squad more important IMO.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Whilst I am really pleased he has signed up, I just cant help thinking how far we have fallen to be in a situation like this.[/quote]

Agreed, I''d be happier if they announed that it was combined with a part time coaching role at the club.

This had really better not scupper any plans to bring in a younger defender/striker, as Grant''s words in the last few weeks have been along the lines of "I need to know if he is staying or not, so I know whether to replace him". Lets just hope that he still has eyes on a "replacement" because Dion can''t (and shouldn''t) do 46-50 games for a season.

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]Whilst I am really pleased he has signed up, I just cant help thinking how far we have fallen to be in a situation like this.[/quote]

Agreed, I''d be happier if they announed that it was combined with a part time coaching role at the club.

This had really better not scupper any plans to bring in a younger defender/striker, as Grant''s words in the last few weeks have been along the lines of "I need to know if he is staying or not, so I know whether to replace him". Lets just hope that he still has eyes on a "replacement" because Dion can''t (and shouldn''t) do 46-50 games for a season.

[/quote]

Oh FFS, some fans just cannot bring themselves to be pleased about this news can they. I am very sure that Grant has got his eyes on another centre half/forward, at 38 years of age, he is not going to do 46-50 games a season - no matter how fit he says he is!

And why should they announce that it''s combined with a part-time coaching role? It looks as if next season could be his last, so why not announce it then? I''m sure that he will be helping the youngsters along, when needed, as it is.

I would say if Dion say, then our youngsters liked Shackell, Martin and Renton can surely learned more from him. GREAT NEWS!!!

Fair point CJF, but it is great news, I`ve just got in from work and it has given me a lift.

We lost our way and leadership when Malky left, Dion does give us a bit of that and hopefully his commitment to the club will add some weight in our attempt to buy players.

Nevertheless I do concur with your sentiments.

[quote user="XXL16"]I would say if Dion say, then our youngsters liked Shackell, Martin and Renton can surely learned more from him. GREAT NEWS!!![/quote]

My sentiments exactly mate, well said [:)]

You missed out Andrew Cave-Brown though - very remiss of you [;)]

Good news as far as I am concerned. His knowledge and desire can only help with our youngsters.

Now lets get some new blood and start to build a squad that might just surprise us all.