Sign in to follow this  
taintedtom2000

Play off final

There will be about 9,000 empty seats at Monday''s Championship play-off final after the Football League and Wembley failed to reach a deal that would have allowed unsold tickets to be passed on to fans of Derby and West Brom. (The Guardian)

I know this isn''t a NCFC post but imagine if we had got to the play off final, this would leave a seriously bitter taste, especially with our support. Its just more proof of football being about money and not the fans anymore.......disgusting!

Very true...

It is an utter disgrace that over 20,000 tickets were given over to corporate guests for a game that means so much to both sets of fans.

The FA have allowed the money men and touts to run big games like this for far too long...

It is about time that the FA were shown up for the bunch of money grabbing old farts that they are and returned games such as these back to the real fans!!!

[quote user="Smudger"]

Very true...

It is an utter disgrace that over 20,000 tickets were given over to corporate guests for a game that means so much to both sets of fans.

The FA have allowed the money men and touts to run big games like this for far too long...

It is about time that the FA were shown up for the bunch of money grabbing old farts that they are and returned games such as these back to the real fans!!!

[/quote]

I agree but it ain''t never going to happen. Sadly the FA have an expensive stadium to pay for thats why we also get the daft event of the FA cup semi''s also at Wembley next year.

tis a shame, but unfortunately we have to accept it in this day and age, incompetance starts at the top and works its way down at the FA

jas :)

Very true, Taintedtom, and I have to say, with no bitterness, that I actually agree entirely with Smudger!Its already beginning to look like the FA are just going to use Wembley as a massive cash cow, rather than for providing entertainment to the millions of football fans in this country! But then again, did we ever think anything else would happen when the governing body is one that is happy to let the Premier League dredge millions of pounds in tv revenue and who then proceed to "negotiate" a bonus for the league clubs which sees them lose only a fraction of that money...

If the FA were to use Wembley as a massive cash cow would it not then be in their interests to sell these tickets rather than hold them back?

People are to easy to criticise, Derby and WBA are both midlands clubs, not many miles further apart than Norwich and Ipswich, a local derby in some respects, who can blame the authorities for not taking a chance on fans mixing, imagine if trouble broke out and our beautiful game was stained further at what has become a ''showpiece'' occasion in the football calendar.

As for the Premier League, remember that they put alot of money into the FA which is then used to development of the grassroots of the game, another fact which is lost on some!

The solution- follow the Carling Cup- 100% of final tickets went to fans, and only fans. Carling (main sponsors) also ensured that the whole day was made for the fans to enjoy- eg no annoying flashing sponsor board things.

The disgusting thing about it though is that the big, infact most premier clubs don''t give a stuff about this tournament- so their fans will hardly benefit from this.

As much as I agree the FA are highly incompetant, and agree that they are letting money men ruin the game, I''m not sure you can pin this at their door. If you read the article http://football.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,,2087989,00.html it seems the Football League and Wembley haven''t been able to reach a decision on either profits from selling the extra tickets, and/or segregation. Yes Wembley is the responsibility of the FA, but they aren''t directly involved in this decision.I hate the way major football tournaments and finals allow such a large percentage of seats to go to corporates. It kills the atmosphere. Anyone notice how there were so many empty seats as the FA Cup Final 2nd half began, as Club Wembley members finished their prawn sandwiches?

Well one answer to the FA is for all the League clubs to "resign" - declare independence. Then go back to Cardiff for the playoffs ... or is a measly 500K pound per year handoud from the Premier League / FA enough to buy them?

BTW I always wonder where the heck the FA got off on declaring everyone a professional a few years back .. is that still the case ?