Sign in to follow this  
XXL16

Gary Holt leave Nottingham Forest

Holty was one of the nine players who will leave Nottingham Forest after 30th June, where will be "Three Lungs" next station? I recall I spoke to him last year he said he still want to play football and will have a few years to offer...

I would say Holty please stay in England so in this October, I can still visit you more easily, if you end up to play in Scotland, oh! Scotland to Norwich! It would be a long flight!!! ;-)

I think he''s 34 now XXL16. His game was all about energy so I would think his career is coming to an end. Mind you, when I saw him with you at Port Vale last year he still looked fit to me!

My favourite Gary Holt moment for Norwich was the second goal at piswich in December 03 (TOTLAPR) when they let him run unchallenged for what seemed like 70 yards before he crossed for McKenzies 2nd!

XXL, Hearts, Hibs (thats you off to Edinburgh then!) are rumoured to be interested in him, ditto Gretna.

Can''t see him staying in England & would think he''d like to return to Scotland anyway, especially as the SPL will be a higher league than any he might end up at here.

Good luck to Holty-in the play off season he was immense for us.

his performance in the play-off final was top notch but my favourite moment was the goal at highfield rd when we beat them 2-0.

a simple goal but the smile on his chops as he celebrated on front of us travelling fans was heart-warming. aaaahhh

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I think he''s 34 now XXL16. His game was all about energy so I would think his career is coming to an end. Mind you, when I saw him with you at Port Vale last year he still looked fit to me!

My favourite Gary Holt moment for Norwich was the second goal at piswich in December 03 (TOTLAPR) when they let him run unchallenged for what seemed like 70 yards before he crossed for McKenzies 2nd!

[/quote]

That was the best pass I think he ever made.  A great cross.

All the best to Holt, was out of his depth in the PL but you can''t fault the man for his commitment to the cause and would have ran through a brick wall for City.  A bargain for £250k.

What I always liked about Holt was that he knew what his strengths were and more importantly he knew his weaknesses as a player and never got too ambitious.  I think in all honesty that is the main difference between him and Hughes.  Hughes could do the same job as Holt but too often he tries passes that are too speculative.

Remember the 30-yard screamer that he scored at Sheffield Wednesday in 2001-02? That and the run in the play-off final are my favourite Holt memories.

[quote user="Karl Pilkington"]Any chance we could get him back???[/quote]

Depends of Granty to be honest, I still think Holt can get a starting place in front of Carl Robinson and Andy Hughes.

excellent memories of him, but get him back , No. Along with Sutton he should stay in the fans memory and not as part of the future.

Good luck to him

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Yeah he looked fit at Port Vale and honestly I still recall many fans was surprised to see him...with me! I was the most luckiest fans!

I remember his assist to Leon at Portman Road, Holty can gone down and get the free kick but he stay on his feet to make a good cross!!! 

I receive Gary Holt''s e-mail today...

Of course I won''t post all of the words there, but he was a bit shocked to leave Forest at the end of this month, he''s having hoildays as every footballer did now, will keep inform which club he will play next season very soon.

I really hope it''s in Coca Cola Football League because honestly I do not want to travel to Scotland in October...:-(

[quote user="XXL16"]

Depends of Granty to be honest, I still think Holt can get a starting place in front of Carl Robinson and Andy Hughes.

[/quote]

you do know carl robinsons left??????

Quote -"The voice of the Thorpe Area!"Is it completely stupid to say could we sign him?? -Quote

YES!!!

He was past it when he left us unforunately, Forest dont want him in league 1, and we are a side hoping for a competative season in the championship. No thanks.

[quote user="XXL16"]

Of course I won''t post all of the words there, but he was a bit shocked to leave Forest at the end of this month, he''s having hoildays as every footballer did now, will keep inform which club he will play next season very soon.

I really hope it''s in Coca Cola Football League because honestly I do not want to travel to Scotland in October...:-(

[/quote]

then dont go to Scotland.. your a Norwich fan! why traipse the other side of Britain for someone who played for us years ago? im a huge Leon Mckenzie fan but it doesnt mean im going to treck off to Coventry to make sure he''s alright does it?

i cant see the logic of going to meet a former player the other side of the country when u support the team that guy used to play for.. lets all swan off to rotherham and cheer Craig fleming on next season then!

Support your team and accept that Holty has gone.

jas :)

Yep lets face up to it , he was never going to take a team apart , all he had was lots of running , and thats all , no skill , no tackle , 3 lungs and no tackle thats the best i can say about him , a useless side of Ham .[:P]

[quote user="ray ducker"]Yep lets face up to it , he was never going to take a team apart , all he had was lots of running , and thats all , no skill , no tackle , 3 lungs and no tackle thats the best i can say about him , a useless side of Ham .[:P][/quote]

And I thought he did an excellent job covering the defense, hassling and harrying the opposition with amazing positional sense.  But thats just me I guess.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[quote user="ray ducker"]Yep lets face up to it , he was never going to take a team apart , all he had was lots of running , and thats all , no skill , no tackle , 3 lungs and no tackle thats the best i can say about him , a useless side of Ham .[:P][/quote]

And I thought he did an excellent job covering the defense, hassling and harrying the opposition with amazing positional sense.  But thats just me I guess.

[/quote]

I''m with you on this one CJF. Everyone marvelled at Holts contribution when we were successful. Him not having other qualities didn''t matter as people would say "every team needs a Gary Holt". This was forgotten about when we started losing and Holty got singled out for criticism for not having those other qualities.

It''s the same in reverse with Hughes. When we play well his contribution is recognised but when we are poor he is singled out for lack of ability. I wouldn''t mind betting that if we had a successful season with Hughes in the side he would be close to winning player of the year!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="XXL16"]

[/quote]

then dont go to Scotland.. your a Norwich fan! why traipse the other side of Britain for someone who played for us years ago? im a huge Leon Mckenzie fan but it doesnt mean im going to treck off to Coventry to make sure he''s alright does it?

i cant see the logic of going to meet a former player the other side of the country when u support the team that guy used to play for.. lets all swan off to rotherham and cheer Craig fleming on next season then!

Support your team and accept that Holty has gone.

[/quote]

Ever heard of a little thing called friendship, Jas? Seems apparent to me that David and GH have developed such a friendship so why wouldn''t he want to visit him when he is in the country. And I agree, CJF, that when he was here and in his prime, Holt did an excellent job for us in midfield.  

agreed MP and i apoloigse to David too.. i wasnt having the best of days yesterday! Victor Meldrews got nowt on me

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

agreed MP and i apoloigse to David too.. i wasnt having the best of days yesterday! Victor Meldrews got nowt on me

[/quote]

Nice one, lol! [;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

I''m with you on this one CJF. Everyone marvelled at Holts contribution when we were successful. Him not having other qualities didn''t matter as people would say "every team needs a Gary Holt". This was forgotten about when we started losing and Holty got singled out for criticism for not having those other qualities.

It''s the same in reverse with Hughes. When we play well his contribution is recognised but when we are poor he is singled out for lack of ability. I wouldn''t mind betting that if we had a successful season with Hughes in the side he would be close to winning player of the year!

[/quote]

lol I doubt it. If we had a successful season I doubt he would be getting in the side.  Holty seemed to know how to cover players going forwards and when to hasssle and harry.  Hughes, in midfield, just ran about everywhere not contributing much.  He does seem to be better at full back, even so I have to admit he is looking a better player in the side. This says more about the drop in quality of the squad than his own ability however.

I have been a home and away supporter for a number of years, the year we had in the premiership Gary Holt took a lot of stick from canary supporters.

Yes he struggled that season and I think a lot of the criticism came from glory hunting supporters who jumped on the band- wagon when we won promotion, there behaviour was disgraceful and obviously were not around .to see Holtys performances the years leading up to promotion.

And to be honest with you I feel the club has not filled the void that was left since his departure, Mr Ducker if you think Holty was rubbish , can I  please ask you where you leave your dog and white stick on match days?

Gary Holt always gave City 100 per cent and went on to play nearly 80 games for Forest .The player that arrived to us from Forest made 2 CITY appearances, where ever he goes I wish him well and thank him for the service he gave to Norwich City.

Great for us on the whole but not now. Never did the unexpected. Best player we had at doing the simple things at the time. He was a fantastic defensive midfielder who popped up with the odd goal, could run and run and run all day. Could do with his effort and attitude for next season (Dickson)!!!

[quote user="bernie the canary"]

I have been a home and away supporter for a number of years, the year we had in the premiership Gary Holt took a lot of stick from canary supporters.

Yes he struggled that season and I think a lot of the criticism came from glory hunting supporters who jumped on the band- wagon when we won promotion, there behaviour was disgraceful and obviously were not around .to see Holtys performances the years leading up to promotion.

And to be honest with you I feel the club has not filled the void that was left since his departure, Mr Ducker if you think Holty was rubbish , can I  please ask you where you leave your dog and white stick on match days?

Gary Holt always gave City 100 per cent and went on to play nearly 80 games for Forest .The player that arrived to us from Forest made 2 CITY appearances, where ever he goes I wish him well and thank him for the service he gave to Norwich City.

[/quote]O .K  BERNIE , lets have a look how good this wonder player was , we all saw he had a basic fault ,(don''t think you did ) which you always try to knock out of every 12 year kid , he ran with the ball at his feet looking down at it , so there would never be an end product ,by the time he looked up and then down to the ball the move was gone . Tought tackling , don''t make me laugh he never tackled anyone ,he ran beside them pointing to some spot in the defence which i could never understand . Now i don''t won''t to  understand how good the top midfield players in this country are but   if its Lampard , Joe Cole , Carrick , they will always mistime a tackle and get booked , When did Holt ever get booked ? COME ON YOU KNOW IT ALL WHEN DID HE EVER GET BOOKED ?how could he as he never tackled anyone ? now can you tell me why at every break in the game he ran over to the bench ?he was not even captain .well i can guess how the  dialogue went ,  1st visit "be over in the morning boss to clean your car " 2nd "tell the wife to leave her car out i will do that as well" 3rd "if i have any water left over i will do your windows boss " now Bernie lets talk of his cannon ball shot ,he must have scored net fulls of goals for us now come on Bernie don''t be shy tell us how many Holt scored for us in 6 seasons ?I don''t mind you coming on this this board but have some kind intelligence on football before you open your mouth .i won''t go into the childish white sticks rubbish i regard my self above all that , far more intelligent .

The odd goal? Haha, didn''t he score 3 between 2000-2001 and 2004-2005? Even Craig Fleming hit the back of the net more consistently than Holt...

Gary Holt never did the unexpected...

...well, apart from scoring from 20 yards in the first 3 minutes at home to Burnley...

...and then from 30 yards away at Hillsborough...

...oh and also him running the midfield in the playoff final against Birmingham....

...and didn''t he play some kind of part in the side which won the Championship for only the third time in our history...

He wasn''t great in the Premiership, but then I guess it would be quite difficult with only one lung. Still, we might as well give him a good old barracking anyway. It''s not like we have issues with recognising the contribution of some people, is it? [:D]

Im not saying he was the best in Britain, you cannot compare him with the likes of Lampard,Joe Cole etc,etc, but I think you should appreciate the good job he did for City.

How many times over the last few seasons have you seen our midfield players tracking back helping out the defence and breaking up the oppositions play,how many times have you heard city fans saying Drury and Colin or Hughes at right back were not very good this season.

Did you not notice they got very little help from there midfield colleagues and were left two on one on numerous occassions.

Never mind that Holt was not a prolific goalscorer,let me ask you .how many clean sheets City kept last season and compare it to how many clean sheets they kept when Holt was one of the midfield players who knew the meaning of the word teamwork.

You might be right about certain players cleaning the bosses car when Worthy was here but like I say check your eyesight out it was not Gary Holt.

You might want to check out the post of mbncfc sounds like an intelligent chap.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

lol I doubt it. If we had a successful season I doubt he would be getting in the side.  Holty seemed to know how to cover players going forwards and when to hasssle and harry.  Hughes, in midfield, just ran about everywhere not contributing much.  He does seem to be better at full back, even so I have to admit he is looking a better player in the side. This says more about the drop in quality of the squad than his own ability however.

[/quote]

hehehe I agree with you 110% on this one CJF...  [Y]

Holty over Hughes any day of the week... There is no way that Hughes will play in a team that wins anything during his entire career.

Holt and Francis made a fantastic centre-midfield partnership at this level!!!

Holt was a big part of the only success that NCFC has seen during the past 12 years... I will never forget the day that I raced across the pitch and gave Holty a hug after we qualified for the play-off''s (in my younger days with the rozzers and stewards trailing in my wake).

As for having him back though... if he ain''t good enough for Forest nowadays then he certainly ain''t good enough for us!!!