Sign in to follow this  
Hardhouse44

All the money in the world - But the wrong man!

All the money in the world won''t get you out of our league if the wrong man is in charge.

I am starting to wonder if we have drop a clanger with Grant. No experience, a strange way of dealing with our better players (the criticism of hucks and the handling of Safri). The touch line arm waving antics (if the don''t know where the should be on the pitch on match day then how come their on the bloody pitch in the first place). And worst of all the players he seems to rate. Fotheringham ( I refuse to call him "fozzy" that would indicate some affection born out of good play) Hughes (he''s still rubbish just not quite are rubbish as in midfield) Lappin (very average and weak). Oh and he’s just give Drury 4 year contract.

My point.

These new investors are rich they could give us say £10m just to spend on players. I''d say with the right manager with the right clout, respect within the game and connections. Coupled with the right tactical knowledge. i.e. don''t play your best players out of position all game to accommodate dross like Fotheringham and you could be out of this league within a season.

Simplistic. Worked for Sunderland.

Maybe our new investors rate our manager as highly as I do. Hence the small amount of input.

Handling of Hucks - Under Grant has played some of his best football and managed to pick up player of the season.

Fozzy - Remember he was free.  With a squad our small and that players often find it difficult to adjust to the league why not give him another season?

Lappin - Imo a very good player, still adjusting and cost us barely anything.

Don''t think you can be critical of Grant on the above.

I think the original post is spot on and i totally agree that Grant lacks the ability to spot a player. He will waste the money on a load of second rate misfits and young scots. Has done nothing to convince me otherwise

[quote user="Hump"]I think the original post is spot on and i totally agree that Grant lacks the ability to spot a player. He will waste the money on a load of second rate misfits and young scots. Has done nothing to convince me otherwise[/quote]

Thuis is the guy who thought Bobinson was a better bet than Safri...   it took 8 games without a win to finally give Safri a go - even then Bobinson may have been injured.   Rating him son his 6 months or so here he is not a very good manager IMO.  Lets hope he improves drastically...

Grant needs a chance with hois own team, he needs the summer to put his own full stamp on things. If is signings are poor and come christmas we are languishing at the wrong end of the table, then yes you''ve got to look at his position but not till then.

As said, Huckerby has been excellant this season and seems perfectly happy at the club so Grant hasnt upset him so no problem there.

Safri i think is a problem for any manager, worthington didnt always see eye to eye with him andi can see why. He is injury prone, and is a paain in the back side when he has been to Morocco or wherever. Safri is a good player, with clubs sniffing around him in Europe, but for the right price his sale wouldnt be a disaster as there are players about who could repalce him.

Fozzy needs to get fully adapted, with a good pre-season he will be 100% next term and hopefully show why he has been quite highly rated.

Lappin started well and has drifted off, but remember only 50k, he has been injured and to be honest i think with the players we have Grant may see him as a squad player anyway.

Oh, and Brown, Grant did get that one wrong i''m afraid!

How can you say he lacks the ability to spot a player?

Of the two outfield players he himself has brought in Lappin looks a decent signing and Fozzy loks tidy even though he has yet to really impress. Certainly both are better than some of the playersWorthington acquired. We are also being linked regularly with lower league and non league talent.

After an iffy start Grant has impressed me in the last couple of months and I think he can see where our problems lie and will try to address them this summer. Whether he is able to do so will probably depend on how much money he has.

the criticism of Hucks was a master stroke by Grant.. he knew what he was doing and it led to Darren playing his best football for this club. Grant wouldnt of risked losing one of his best players so was careful and chose the right time to say Darren Wasnt pulling his finger out...

Look at his perfromances before Grant spoke out and look at them since... There were calls from some on this board (myself included) to Drop Hucks for reasons ranging from Fatigue, to him slowing down, to him looking Lethargic etc... i take my hat off to Grant for giving him the preverbial Kick up the backside... bet no ones complaining now?

jas :)

Can''t agree with the Hux claims. Hux played his best football in the first season he was here - totally brilliant, and consistently brilliant. It''s the consistency that''s faded, not the brilliance. Grant still has to convince me that he''s forceful enough to drag NCFC out of the 10-year comfort zone, where players only perform when and if they can be bothered.

How come Marshall, Chadwick and Warner have been missed on this thread ?

I reckon Grants signings have been excellent so far and all for little money.

With a bit of money which I feel sure the board will find and a bit of wheelin and dealin by Grant, 4 or 5 new players added to what we have already got and there will be a real buzz around the club.

My guess is that by the time the new season kicks off, MOST of us will be confident of better times ahead.

The case for the prosecution rest-Guilty as charged, if the best defence is lappin and fotheringham.

Mary Queen of Scots lost her head at Fotheringham Castle maybe Grant should beware of omens

l  

The Turner''s aren''t going to come on board and start throwing £££ about, demanding and encouraging change here, there, and everywhere.

Andrew Turner said yesterday that the £2 Million that they have already put in was to help the club "immediately"-it wasn''t, and isn''t, IMHO, the beginning and the end of their financial investment. They will want to settle in, get to know how the club is ran, get to know the people who work at the club and generally assess their investment and decide where, ultimately, they see it going. Have no fear, they will be the long term owners of Norwich City. I think Delia and Michael, as much as they love Norwich, know that they can''t go on forever, and, with Andrew and Sharon Turner, they have finally found the people who they see, ultimately, as their ''heirs''. Interesting that Barry Skipper is now the life VICE President-does that leave a little niche, eventually, for Delia and Michael to be joint and life Presidents of NCFC?

The Turners have built up a hugely successful financial company-to do that today, you need to be hard nosed, ruthless, and not suffer fools gladly-they will bring that to the club and they won''t want their investment to suffer because of poor management. PG will get his chance and deserves next season, but, if he fails to perform in their eyes, they''ll put pressure on to replace him, have no fear of that-the old fashioned manager "love in''s" that surrounded Worthy in his last months won''t be so evident next time around

We will prevail and I am convinced that they are going to be good for our club. The financial input and potential is, of course, enticing enough, but, just as valuable is the experience, expertise, and business knowledge that got them to where they are now and which they will apply here as well.

I''m still not sure about PG as I think his hands have been tied thus far with regard to the wage bill.

There are a number of players who I don''t think he rates that I suspect are on a large wage (Thorne, Doherty, McVeigh). This I suspect limited his opportunities in the transfer window.  Now he has cleared out some of the players he considered to be dead wood he can truely start to build his team. My main concern on this issue is that despite freeing up several reasonable sized salries this will not actually give him more money due to the lack of the parachute payments. I think this is where the Turners fit in.

The problem with Safri for me is that whilst he his one of our best midfielders next year is an African Cup of Nations year, can we really afford to be paying someone one of the higher wages and then have them unavailable for 2 months or is he good enough to justify it?

I personally would be happy if Safri came back from international duty in top condition, but as he always seems to come back either injured or in a lower level of fitness I''m not sure he his a luxury we can afford, especially if we could sell him for a reasonable price.

I can''t help wondering if the Turner''s have bailed the NCFC board out.

I''m sure the business couple who have so kindly loaned the 2 mill - are on social and speaking terms with the current hierarchy, and that the NCFC board were desperate to ''refrain'' from selling off our already depleted and wafer thin squad. Let''s face it, the board''s neck''s - (including the Chief Exec''s) would be on the chopping block if we had a selling of the silverware during the close-season to fund the purchase of average replacements, resulting in major unrest if we have a shabby start to the 07/08 season.

I''m afraid, I still remain unconvinced - and still have major doubts concerning the present incumbents in charge of the running of this club.

I do hope Mrs Turner, ushers Deals and Co out of the kitchen - sending them upstairs to the dining room, so that she and her Hubby can assess the mediocre menu and see what needs altering, replacing, adding - and what ingredients and seasoning are really necessary; to make the choices on offer, more palatable and acceptable to the hungry diners.

"The Local 2", could be the kick up the rump that this board needs. I think a new Chairman and a Chief Exec appointment, would be the next step to spicing up the bland board.

I just sincerely hope, they''re not a couple of Delia''s chums - who think it would be spiffing to join the board and raise their business profile.......and help a few mates out during lean times.  

I totaly agree with you Hardhouse44 ... PG is average ...  but I hope I''m wrong  ....

I wrote a same kind of reply on the subject -

Re: Delia Will Never Take Us Anywhere!.............

[quote user="Hump"]I think the original post is spot on and i totally agree that Grant lacks the ability to spot a player. He will waste the money on a load of second rate misfits and young scots. Has done nothing to convince me otherwise[/quote]

Which is generally what Roy Keane signed for Sunderland[;)]

I''m not saying Grant will be a success but I feel he deserves more time. He has had one transfer window to sign new players and lets be honest the January window is not the best for picking up bargains. Lapin is decent enough and the jury is out on Fotheringham & Brown (although some have hung drawn and quartered them on the basis of a handful of games) - again the point needs to be made that some players take time to adjust to a new team (see Iwan & Malky who were both rubbish in their first year at the club).

He has identified our weak areas and will hopefully be able to address them over the summer. 3 or 4 quality additions will see us drastically improve - I can''t see the league being any stronger next year. Charlton will lose all of their decent players and Watford & Wigan have struggled to attract decent players whilst in the prem (except the odd mercenary, yes I''m referring to you Mr Francis!!).

If things haven''t improved by Xmas then by all means the club should address the situation. The history of this club hows that our success has come during periods of management stability (3 managers between 74 and 92). I do not want a return to the mid 90''s when a new manager arrived every 5 mins!

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

The Turner''s aren''t going to come on board and start throwing £££ about, demanding and encouraging change here, there, and everywhere.

Andrew Turner said yesterday that the £2 Million that they have already put in was to help the club "immediately"-it wasn''t, and isn''t, IMHO, the beginning and the end of their financial investment. They will want to settle in, get to know how the club is ran, get to know the people who work at the club and generally assess their investment and decide where, ultimately, they see it going. Have no fear, they will be the long term owners of Norwich City. I think Delia and Michael, as much as they love Norwich, know that they can''t go on forever, and, with Andrew and Sharon Turner, they have finally found the people who they see, ultimately, as their ''heirs''. Interesting that Barry Skipper is now the life VICE President-does that leave a little niche, eventually, for Delia and Michael to be joint and life Presidents of NCFC?

The Turners have built up a hugely successful financial company-to do that today, you need to be hard nosed, ruthless, and not suffer fools gladly-they will bring that to the club and they won''t want their investment to suffer because of poor management. PG will get his chance and deserves next season, but, if he fails to perform in their eyes, they''ll put pressure on to replace him, have no fear of that-the old fashioned manager "love in''s" that surrounded Worthy in his last months won''t be so evident next time around

We will prevail and I am convinced that they are going to be good for our club. The financial input and potential is, of course, enticing enough, but, just as valuable is the experience, expertise, and business knowledge that got them to where they are now and which they will apply here as well.

[/quote]  Spot on that man!!