Sign in to follow this  
lucky green trainers

cull the defence and start afresh.

who??? NCFC??? - reportedly, if sam.a takes over at newcastle, he''s planning to cull the entire newcastle defence and start fresh - even quashing roeder''s deal for Anton ferdy - lining up sol campbell instead.  let''s face us - since the day''s of keegan, the magpies defence has been leaky - if anyone can plug the gaps, sam can.just as keano recognised, when he did the same at champions sunderland and changed their entire defence, and as we found in our champs winning season, a rock-solid defence is a must to become successful.drury would stay on my book, with shacks as bench back up, but as for the rest???naturally, we need a protective midfielder in front - but if the back 4 are dogey, it doesn''t help the confidence of the team in front.however - drury on a 4 year deal - 2 max for me with a year''s option.  we''ve been rolled over imo.

The basis of a winning team is clean sheets - Roy Keane (& many others)

But, with us it''s more than the back four. 

Can we afford two players in the same team who ''don''t do defense'' - Hucks and Earnie. In this modern era, I don''t think so.

Defensively, I would suggest that that is our major dilemma.

We have to learn to defend as a team from the front if we are going to get out of this league (upwards!!)

OTBC

It''s a reasonable point - i''m always amazed by the defensive capabilities of Drogba. Iwan wasn''t bad - which suggests the target man type forward tends to be more defensively capable. Brown should be ok at least. I still think he can be a major figure for us, i really do, despite the slatings he''s received on some quaters here.

Nice idea is principle, but where does the money come from to replace them? With our spending and wage power there is no guarentees that any replacement will be any better, and could be worse, meaning another wage millstone around NCFC neck.

[quote user="a1canary"]It''s a reasonable point - i''m always amazed by the defensive capabilities of Drogba. Iwan wasn''t bad - which suggests the target man type forward tends to be more defensively capable. Brown should be ok at least. I still think he can be a major figure for us, i really do, despite the slatings he''s received on some quaters here.[/quote]similary, the closing down kuyt did against chelsea in their champions league match springs to mind as well.