Sign in to follow this  
Texas1

Summer Transfers In - New Spine needed!!

Sorry if this has been discussed recently but I think in the summer transfer window we need.....

A new GK  -  So many loan keepers this season!  I thought Camp did very well and was dissapointed to see him go to QPR.  Marshall also did well but unfortunately injured.  Not sure he would come to us when it seems like he has a future at Celtic.  Gallacher is not good enough as 1st choice for me and Lewis not ready for a full season.   I dont think Coyne is the answer either.

A new CB  -  Doherty/Shackell are part of a defence that conceeded far too many goals this season - Doc worries me too much in defence and think at best he is back up to 1st team.  So I think money must be spent on a strong defender who could take over as captain from Drury.

A new CM  - Safri/Etuhu frustrate the hell out of me as they are capable of being great in the middle but are far too inconsistent.  I think Safri may be off anyway, but even if he stays, we need someone more consistent in one of those positions as surely this is where games are won and lost - weak midfield leads to an overworked defence.

A new CF  -  Earnshaw will obviously be the main man but I still think we need a decent partner for him- even more so if Dublin leaves.  Martin is  a rising star but I fear he will not be consistent enough throughout a whole season.  Brown I dont think is the answer although I suppose he deserves a try.  Jarvis hasnt done enough in his chances he has had and it is probably time he moves on.

Anyway theres my 2p''s worth.  Who do you think these new players could be??

russel Anderson of Aberdeen would be a great one for centre back. Marshall in goal hopefully.

Couldnt agree more - a spine is what we have lacked and it needs to be sorted quickly.   We have no cover for doc/shax,  just Hughes and spillane for etuhu/safri and only brown as a partner for Earnie.  Where is the back up let alone the competition for places? 

For the keeper I am very tempted to let Lewis have a chance - its not that we have much to lose by not doing so is it?

I cant even decide which is most important;  CM for me but unless we get Earnie a real partner he will remain an expensive luxury that we cant afford to have,  as the defensive clearances will continue to come straight back at us.    

A spine is needed I agree and has been needed for 3 seasons now.

Like Zipper I would be tempted to let Lewis have a go in goal.  If we signed Coyne let them fight it out but let Lewis know he has 5 -10 to claim the jersey.

Defence - I don''t go along with the Doc bashing, I do however think that it''s looking more and more that he and Shackell are struggling to play together.  Personally I would like to see a bit of pace added in the defence to compliment either Doc or Shackell.  Saying that better protection from midfield would see a massive improvement in the goals we concede.

Midfield - This is still the big problem area for me and I know most will disagree but I still think this is more of a problem than the defence.  On paper a partnership of Safri and Etutu should offer all you want from a central midfield partnership.  There is the possibility that the two could run the show, the physical presence and goal threat of Etuhu and the tackling and passing ability of Safri but as we all know this very rarely materialises on the pitch.  This is why it’s our biggest problem.  On paper, we don’t need anyone but in reality we could need two. 

Strikers – A big concern here, will Earnie go?  If he does then we need a replacement because I don’t think Martin is ready for 40 odd games next season.  If Earnie does stay then who partners him?  The problem is here is that it could be Brown but we don’t know as they haven’t played together.  I think we still need another target man to challenge Brown or play instead of him.

More important than what positions we need to add to though is the sort of player we need to bring in.  In my opinion too many of our guys go missing when the chips are down and all too often it’s left to Hux to roll his sleeves up and make something happen for us.  We need to bring in players with strong characters who will stand up and be counted and have enough quality to make a difference, not players who shy away when needed.