Sign in to follow this  
Boogle

Watling Saved Us NOT Delia-FACT!

i want people to know 1st that im not anti delia but this subject is seriously annoying.

Watling saved us NOT Delia!

Saved???

In any case there is no way we would have gone under as some people have said. Thats a huge exageration.

We are actually in more debt now than we were then.

Like another poster explained look at the trouble bradford, rotherham, leeds etc have been in and did they go under?

That just does not happen anymore.

On the Delia being a binner rumour, all ill say is she lived and still lives in suffolk and was at thier biggest game in their history {at the time} in ipswich colours. Does this make her a fan? Only she can answer that!

Delia-did you used to support ipswich? { doubt delia reads the pinkun site but no-one else can seriously answer this question apart from her}

[quote user="Millo"]

i want people to know 1st that im not anti delia but this subject is seriously annoying.

Saved???

In any case there is no way we would have gone under as some people have said. Thats a huge exageration.

Like another poster explained look at the trouble bradford, rotherham, leeds etc have been in and did they go under?

[/quote]

Watling provided a short term fix - Delia provided a longer term fix. Work it out.   

[quote]

On the Delia being a binner rumour, all ill say is she lived and still lives in suffolk and was at thier biggest game in their history {at the time} in ipswich colours. Does this make her a fan? Only she can answer that!

Delia-did you used to support ipswich? { doubt delia reads the pinkun site but no-one else can seriously answer this question apart from her}

[/quote]

No she didn''t - we all know the story - she has answered that question a 1000 times over. Stop believing binner propaganda and being so nieve.

[quote user="Millo"]

[/quote]

And look at the hole they all have found themselves in

[quote user="Millo"]

Saved???

[/quote]

The truth is that when the club was in a fix and couldn''t pay the bills Watling got Delia involved and was her money that guarenteed bills would be paid and kept the club afloat.

In other words it was his business expertise and her money.

[quote user="Millo"]

[/quote]

Anymore - Yes

10 years ago, probably.

Football has changed a lot, so has the ownership of clubs.

But I agree Watlings massive contribution cannot be overlooked and shouldn''t be, BUT these two have taken the club forward in massive amounts.

[quote user="Millo"]

[/quote]

Never heard of inflation then.  The debt today is probably comparable to back then, and if it is more you only have to look at the stadium and training ground to see that we have a little more to show for our money.

Also, Watling bailed us out of the s**t.  Delia helped to finance our longer term future.  Regardless of opinions no one can deny that Delia has sunk a large quantity of her own cash into the club.

There''s a big difference between manageable debt and non manageable debt. I owe the mortgage company over 100k but that''s no problem. Now, if I was that much overdrawn I think I''d be seeing the baliffs pretty soon.

Yep, I worked out today that I am in debt to the tune of 150% of my

assets (and I think I counted my overdraft limit as an asset)! - but as

it is managable I''m fine.

And there is an interesting similarity between Geoffrey Watling and Delia Smith - when he was our Chairman some 40 years ago, he was not at all liked by the majority of the supporters, I recall, due to attitude, arrogance, lack of ambition, not being in touch with ordinary fans etc. But when we needed his financial support many years later he was first in the queue! And to be fair the "he saved us" bit should probably be directed to Arthur South, who led the street collections in 1957 or thereabouts, and found enough cash to keep us afloat - albeit only just! Delia was faced with a situation when she arrived, just as worrying - and whilst we are still in considerable debt, I am satisfied it is well managed debt, and our solution is no different to other Championship sides - the P word. With the present Management Team, and some sensible player additions, that can be achieved. Especially as we do not need to sell anybody, unless we want to.

JIMMY 500- i have not heard of inflation that high. my bosses cant be paying me right. im with the same company now as i was during this era and my salary has not been inflated to that extent.

have your wages tripled in the last 12 years?

was a pint 90p in the mid 90s?

was a carton of milk 12p?

was a cd albulm £3.50? thought i would ask as i clearly remember buying oasis defintley maybe for 9.99 from andys records and my most recent albulm cost 12.99-explain that inflation JIMMY 500

your argument is incorrect.

This is such a silly thread.

When Chase went the club was in deep cr*p. Watling did a fantastic job buying out Chase and bringing in Delia to provide committed cash for the future. Between them they have stabalised the club.

What is the point of working out who saved us or contributed more? They have both played an important part so just leave it at that.  

[quote user="spud"]

JIMMY 500- i have not heard of inflation that high. my bosses cant be paying me right. im with the same company now as i was during this era and my salary has not been inflated to that extent.

have your wages tripled in the last 12 years?

was a pint 90p in the mid 90s?

was a carton of milk 12p?

was a cd albulm £3.50? thought i would ask as i clearly remember buying oasis defintley maybe for 9.99 from andys records and my most recent albulm cost 12.99-explain that inflation JIMMY 500

your argument is incorrect.

[/quote]

No my argument is spot on.  Can of coke 12 years ago 25-30p, now 50-65p, CD albums are indeed cheaper now than they were, 10 cigarettes 12 years ago £1.20, now £2.80.  12 YEARS AGO A 2 BED TERRACE HOUSE WAS £30,000 - NOW £100,000, go on Spud, explain that inflation. 

These examples are exactly why your counter argument is total crap.

JIMMY 500

ill explain it easily, your examples are incorrect.

what about my examples? are you earning 3 times as much now as you were then or not?

how low can someone sink?

LET''S NOT BEAT ABOUT THE bush: Delia Smith - Norwich director, Norwich uberfan, some say Norwich saviour - used to support Ipswich Town.

"If you have a look at a tape of Swap Shop from May 8 1978," says Phil Ham, editor of town fanzine Those Were The Days, "you''ll see Delia Smith wearing a blue rosette and talking to Keith Chegwin about being an Ipswich fan.

You know how Cheggers always used to have his roadshow on Swap Shop? That day, they had one from north London and one from Ipswich, for the Arsenal-Ipswich Cup final. And there was Delia - the celebrity Ipswich fan. She''s come up with all sorts of ludicrous stories since: sometimes, she actually claims that she was wearing a Norwich scarf under her Ipswich scarf!"

from 4-4-2 magazine

[quote user="spud"]

JIMMY 500

what about my examples? are you earning 3 times as much now as you were then or not?

[/quote]

I am in fact earning 4 times more money now than I did 12 years ago, and yes all at the same company. 

The point I am trying to make is that inflation is not as simple as that, if it was how do you explain the construction industry and housing market.  Also it is important to remember that our club debt includes construction costs for the new stand plus other associated construction costs (new kitchens etc..).

Inflation is not as black and white as just comparing the price of CD''s and soft drinks from 12 years ago to now.  Perhaps it was harsh to say your examples were incorrect, they were not, they were however not particulary relevant.

[quote user="spud"]

JIMMY 500

[/quote]How about comparing it to other football related figures ie - players wages, how much winning the premiership is worth etc?

[quote user="Millo"]

LET''S NOT BEAT ABOUT THE bush: Delia Smith - Norwich director, Norwich uberfan, some say Norwich saviour - used to support Ipswich Town.

"If you have a look at a tape of Swap Shop from May 8 1978," says Phil Ham, editor of town fanzine Those Were The Days, "you''ll see Delia Smith wearing a blue rosette and talking to Keith Chegwin about being an Ipswich fan.

You know how Cheggers always used to have his roadshow on Swap Shop? That day, they had one from north London and one from Ipswich, for the Arsenal-Ipswich Cup final. And there was Delia - the celebrity Ipswich fan. She''s come up with all sorts of ludicrous stories since: sometimes, she actually claims that she was wearing a Norwich scarf under her Ipswich scarf!"

from 4-4-2 magazine

[/quote]Reading between the lines are you saying that Delia is trying to make Norwich bad on purpose? - if so honestly would you put lots of money into Ipswich just to make them rubbish?

[quote user="Millo"]

from 4-4-2 magazine

[/quote]

not being funny but a binnie fan is going to try and justify it, i wasnt born in 1978, and didnt watch swapshop (01 811 8055 i believe was the number), surely if she is appearing on swap shop she has swapped Norwich for Ipswich by that logic?

and what issue of 4-4-2 magazine was that in? i get it monthly and cant remember reading that... i can remember some clueless scum fan talking crap about Dion Dublin a month or so back, think he said he was press officer at the scummers.. he''ll be out of work soon then when they go bankrupt... heres hoping anyway!

jas :)

[quote user="Millo"]

from 4-4-2 magazine

[/quote]Oh well, why didn''t you say so ?  A bloke who used to run a fanzine said it was true.  Well then, I''m really sorry, I don''t know why I ever doubted you.Does sarcasm come across in text ?

MAGICMOL

this is not my words, this has been copied and pasted from 4-4-2 website-not my words!

just put it on to see what people thought of the article.

ITS NOT MY STATEMENT!

jesus!

[quote user="Millo"]

MAGICMOL

this is not my words, this has been copied and pasted from 4-4-2 website-not my words!

ITS NOT MY STATEMENT!

jesus!

[/quote]

Did he write it then? Was it like a parable??

[quote user="Millo"]

MAGICMOL

ITS NOT MY STATEMENT!

jesus!

[/quote]I take back my comments (I didn''t mean to offend) however it would have been helpful if you had said you wanted people''s thoughts on the quoted text in your original post.

Millo has to be Cluck in disguise... no one else has ever come close to matching the yellow ranting one for sheer tenacity in the face of contrary evidence, and for using tenuous sources to justify his arguments... Smudger and Wiz may try, but even they must bow to the master...A Scummer tells us that Delia is an Ipswich fan, so it must be right.Do you reckon that if we start a rumour about Sheepsh*gger being a closet Norwich fan that their fans would be stupid enough to believe us? You''d like to think so...

EVIL MONKEY

Clearly you need glasses as all my posts say im NOT anti delia

I DIDNT write the quotes from 4-4-2, i copied and pasted as this is a debate about delias links to ipswich in the past to see what people thought.

Besides which being on tv wearing a ipswich rossette is hardly a rumour is it? Just wanted to see what constructive intelligent input people had on the debate-you obviously have none!

sift through my posts properly before accusing me of crap.

Yeah thats right im cluck, are you mw jones?

[quote user="Millo"]

EVIL MONKEY

Clearly you need glasses as all my posts say im NOT anti delia

I DIDNT write the quotes from 4-4-2, i copied and pasted as this is a debate about delias links to ipswich in the past to see what people thought.

Besides which being on tv wearing a ipswich rossette is hardly a rumour is it? Just wanted to see what constructive intelligent input people had on the debate-you obviously have none!

sift through my posts properly before accusing me of crap.

Yeah thats right im cluck, are you mw jones?

[/quote]

The only FACT here is that this argument has so many holes it could almost be a string vest!

I can honestly say that I have never witnessed anyone saying or typing that Delia saved the club by herself. That is just pure imagination. The fact is the club needed fresh investment and she came in and offered just that. I should imagine that should some big multi-millionaire come in now many would claim him to be the saviour but then you would have to conceed to the arguments of your own opinion that the new guy did not "save" the club as such - just built on what Delia had built.

Its really sad that some people have it in their head that the majority of people in Norwich actually respect what Delia has done for the club and our city and want to try and degrade that but inventing some half cooked story about everyone thinking she saved the club. It is simply a matter of what you consider the term "saved" to mean.

Am I MWJ? Why yes, how did you know?Forgive me questioning the tone of your posts, but you''ve publicly asked Delia if she''s a binner - if you didn''t believe that to be the truth, then surely you would have written so??If you would like to know more on this case, then simply refer to this thread: http://new.pinkun.com/cs/forums/2/940048/ShowPost.aspx#940048On which Old Shuck gives a detailed explanation of the events that led to Delia having that scarf on.The reason I and others get annoyed at posts like this is that they have generally been debated and settled before, in this instance only a few days ago.  It feels sometimes like we''re going round in circles actually trying to get the truth and reason out into these boards over reactionary crap.On the "saviour of Norwich" issue, I trust you see now that your interpretation of events is just as valid as those who choose to praise Delia''s input?