Sign in to follow this  
Hump

JARVIS AND MARTIN

As fantastic as it is to have two players in the England side at U19 last night,can someone explain based on their end of season performances how they were selected.It does appear that similar to the senior set up once you get in the side you stay in the side. Martin looked tired and out of sorts at the end of his season and a good rest would have seemed to be the best solution and his form would hardly merit international duty.Jarvis not good enough to be recalled when we were desperate also gets a game.

These two boys will then be back in pre season without a rest and more excuses will be made for them. Same applies to Spillane a first team place in the Championshipwould seems more attractive than youth international football and he will also come back knackeredl,although on his form he does deserve selection .

Finally Cave Brown will need two months off when he returns, when he should be competeing for a first team place? 

At least 2 months means mid July - should only miss the first few

preseason games, which we will need to right back position if for a new

right back should we get one, which seems likely.

i have always thought that the u19''s is the championships version of the England u21''s, because if you are 18 but a brilliant player, you get promoted to the u21''s. So all the players who can''t quite cut it are left in the u19''s. this is why you always see our youngsters in the u16''s, u18''s, u19''s, but not the under 21''s.

[quote user="Dan Grant"]i have always thought that the u19''s is the championships version of the England u21''s, because if you are 18 but a brilliant player, you get promoted to the u21''s. So all the players who can''t quite cut it are left in the u19''s. this is why you always see our youngsters in the u16''s, u18''s, u19''s, but not the under 21''s.[/quote]

to say the under 19 squad can''t cut it is rubbish, there is one 18year old in the thirty man  U21 squad

[quote user="Dan Grant"]i have always thought that the u19''s is the championships version of the England u21''s, because if you are 18 but a brilliant player, you get promoted to the u21''s. So all the players who can''t quite cut it are left in the u19''s. this is why you always see our youngsters in the u16''s, u18''s, u19''s, but not the under 21''s.[/quote]

Spot on.

There is a gulf in quality between the England U21s and the other ranks such as U19 and U20.

That''ll be a good way to judge how good Chris Martin is, if he is the business then he''ll eventually knock on the U21 door.

[quote user="Chris Meadows"]

to say the under 19 squad can''t cut it is rubbish, there is one 18year old in the thirty man  U21 squad

[/quote]

I would add to this the fact that Robert Green, Lee Marshall and Andy Marshall all got capped at Under 21 level, David Nugent has never played in the premiership but has scored for the U21''s and the senior tea..... if you want to go even further back there was chris sutton. In addition, many of our youngsters are not and have not been english.... such as llewellyn, bellamy, spillane, renton...... so i think that pretty much invalidates your point.

[quote user="Chris Meadows"]

[/quote]

This goes to show that most of the english youngsters coming through are not good enough to win a major competition

[quote user="Dan Grant"][quote user="Chris Meadows"]

[/quote]

This goes to show that most of the english youngsters coming through are not good enough to win a major competition

[/quote]

or that a 20/21 year old is a more developed player than an 18 year old