Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

The Scottish Thing

Is it just me or are we only interested in Scottish players at the moment?Can someone explain why this is? Is it because our manager is Scottish?If we had an Italian manager, do you think there would be an influx of Italian players?Don''t anyone get offended now!

i don''t know how you can say only scotish players but it is obvious that because Grant has links in Scotland it helps get scotish players

Well, I don''t think we are only being linked to Scottish players at all.

I think a lot of people have got a little wrapped in the idea though. It really is just people in the media making quick little sums to fill a few column inches. Clearly PG has a strong contact list up north, along with Jim Duffy, but I don''t expect us to only bring in Scots over the summer (not that I would have a problem with that at all, as long as they are good enough).

You are right though, if our manager was Swiss we''d be linked to high heaven with Swiss internationals and misfits.

[quote user="Canary Boy"]Is it just me or are we only interested in Scottish players at the moment?

Can someone explain why this is? Is it because our manager is Scottish?

If we had an Italian manager, do you think there would be an influx of Italian players?

Don''t anyone get offended now!
[/quote]

which country would u rather be at the moment... Scotland or england???!!! get the jocks in!

jas :)

[quote user="Michael Starr"]

Cos that works really well...

Stoke + Iceland

Hearts + Lithuania

Wimbledon + Norway

[/quote]

Arsenal + France?

If Grant turns out even nearly as well as our most famous Scot, the late great Archie Macaulay, then we''ll really be humming. Of that we can be assured folks.

We''ve had a few good Scottish players over the years. Bryan Gunn, Matt Crowe, Duncan Forbes, Malky Mackay, Tommy Bryceland, Jimmy Bone, Robert Fleck, Hugh Curran, come to mind. Good spine players.

Good luck, Peter Grant.

OTBC

I think we are most fortunate........Scottish Football is much better quality, more skilful and played at a higher standard than English Football.........Apparently.

So, we should have lots more sweaty socks playin'' for us, then we may qualify to play against Rangers and Celtic and the Scottish Champions ''elect'' Forfar Fife Dundee Nessie.

Anyway, how many Englishmen have played for the Scotland national squad, eh? I''ll tell you how many, NONE! Because English players are just not good enough! FACT! FACT FACT! 

I read it in Shoot magazine and on the back of the Daily ''quality rudey read'' Sport........

Did you see the pics of Girl''s Aloud on stage in the Sport Today? They''re well fit, and even that ginger lass is well tidy and fanciable these days.......Just goes to show, beauty is only skin deep, and not just when you''ve had 10 pints of Stella.[B]  

Now, what was this thread about again?[:|]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Michael Starr"]

Cos that works really well...

Stoke + Iceland

Hearts + Lithuania

Wimbledon + Norway

[/quote]

Arsenal + France?

[/quote]

Chelsea + Portugal (Carvalliho, Ferrera, Hilario & Maniche were all brought in by Mouriniho)

Liverpool + Spain

I don''t mind a few jocks coming in, but I would prefer it if Granty cast his net far and wide. Surely he would be more likely to find talented players if he was to look beyond just the one small country (Scotland). Still, we are supposed to be interested in an Irish striker at the moment, although I think he has links with the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

I read it in Shoot magazine and on the back of the Daily ''quality rudey read'' Sport........

Did you see the pics of Girl''s Aloud on stage in the Sport Today? They''re well fit, and even that ginger lass is well tidy and fanciable these days.......Just goes to show, beauty is only skin deep, and not just when you''ve had 10 pints of Stella.[B]  

[/quote]

do you er, think we could get them on at half time to put of the opposition teams?

it does seem that way....

although he has bought in Chadwick, Warner, Brown and is also linked with (poss gonna get in) Jon Ostembor and that Irish fella, so dont worry unduly.

[quote user="Broken_hearted_canary"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

do you er, think we could get them on at half time to put of the opposition teams?

[/quote]

Half-time entertainment is just not what it used to be. Spare a thought for us older generation who had season tickets in the late sixties.[8-|]  Old Tom would have the hot toddies [D]lined up on the bar by five and twenty to four and we would be back in our seats under the blanket ready to stamp our feet to the invigourating sounds[8] of the Stiffkey and Little Snoring Brass Band at ten to.[O]

Of course in those days our teams were full of players from north of the border[Y] with the likes of Tommy Bryceland, Hugh Curran, Duncan Forbes, Ken Foggo, Neil O''Donnell and who could forget the cultured left boot of Alan Black.[8-)]

And of course if results were disappointing, which they invariably were, we could show our displeasure[N] at the lack of ambition from the boardroom by chucking a carefully aimed cushion towards Mr. Watling.[um]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Broken_hearted_canary"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Half-time entertainment is just not what it used to be. Spare a thought for us older generation who had season tickets in the late sixties.[8-|]  Old Tom would have the hot toddies [D]lined up on the bar by five and twenty to four and we would be back in our seats under the blanket ready to stamp our feet to the invigourating sounds[8] of the Stiffkey and Little Snoring Brass Band at ten to.[O]

Of course in those days our teams were full of players from north of the border[Y] with the likes of Tommy Bryceland, Hugh Curran, Duncan Forbes, Ken Foggo, Neil O''Donnell and who could forget the cultured left boot of Alan Black.[8-)]

And of course if results were disappointing, which they invariably were, we could show our displeasure[N] at the lack of ambition from the boardroom by chucking a carefully aimed cushion towards Mr. Watling.[um]

[/quote]

Lol NN.... i could here the "hovis" music playing as i read.... "back in the day" and all that

jas :)

I can''t believe that people within this thread are actually getting excited about Scottish Division One players.

To put things in perspective; the mighty Gretna have now reached the Premier Division in a few short years, so that says alot about the quality of the Scottish League, don''t you think?

The average Vauxhall Conference side could hold their own in the Scottish Division One.

[quote user="shyster"]

I can''t believe that people within this thread are actually getting excited about Scottish Division One players.

To put things in perspective; the mighty Gretna have now reached the Premier Division in a few short years, so that says alot about the quality of the Scottish League, don''t you think?

The average Vauxhall Conference side could hold their own in the Scottish Division One.

[/quote]

I seem to remember Wimbledon doing that in the English leagues and that was widely regarded as a massive achievement.

Credit were credits due !!

I would suggest that is purely because he has started with what he knows.  It is a natural thing to do, look in an area you are familiar with, and then move further afield, hence the scouting trips to eastern europe etc not going on.

[quote user="Canary Boy"]Is it just me or are we only interested in Scottish players at the moment?

Can someone explain why this is? Is it because our manager is Scottish?

If we had an Italian manager, do you think there would be an influx of Italian players?

Don''t anyone get offended now!
[/quote]

Ever heard the phrase "start with what you know"?Scottish players are what he knows best, so first off at least, i''m more than happy for him to focus there. With the exception of Paul Gallacher and Brian McGovern, i can''t think of a Scot who hasn''t gone on to be a huge asset to us as has been highlighted.  I don''t think PG will turn out to be as foreigner-phobic as Worthy.