Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

the 92

Well I haven''t got the stubs to prove I have been to all the grounds - many of them were in the old days of cash admissions (remember that?).  Still I don'' t keep much in relation to collectors items, it''s all up in the memory box!  For now, anyway.

I finished the 92, as existed at the time, at Sunderland''s Roker Park in January 1996 - Ashley Ward''s goal giving us a 1-0 win, which I think was Gary Megson''s first away victory as manager.  I wanted to finish at a ground that had some history and character, so I started to try and plot how to do that when I had about 10 left.  When I started out life travelling to away games with my father for the FA Cup QF at the Goldstone Ground in 1983, I certainly never expected to finish by the age of 26.  The closer you get, the more of an obsession it becomes to finish, although I was really lucky in getting 31 in a single season with Norwich when I started going to every away game, supplemented by plenty of blank International Saturdays to add others.

Since then, I''ve lost a few because Clubs have moved and new entrants have joined the Football League, so I guess I''m in the high 80''s of the current grounds. 

BTW, you don''t need ticket stubs to join the 92 Club (at least, you didn''t when I qualified) - the only requirement is to complete a list of games with date, match, competition, result and attendance.

The best ground?  Well, having been to the Trophy final last week the new Wembley takes some beating - certainly on a par with the San Siro.  For Club grounds in this country, Old Trafford before the Stretford End was seated always produced a good atmosphere, and Anfield has always been a ground for the ordinary fan above the corporate pound.

The worst? Probably Barnet, although the awful result didn''t exactly help ...

[quote user="swindoncanary"]Yes there is a ''92'' Club. as a record that you have done it, you must retain your ticket stubs.[/quote]

DOH.. Does that mean the previous 38 do not count! No way am I going back to Palace!