Sign in to follow this  
Arthur Whittle

more on the Delia clique

Why oh why do fans think that delia is our saviour?

Under the worthigton reign she was always inviting staff and players wifes out for social occasions to create a relaxed and friendly enviroment

,maybe thats why it was so hard to sack worthless because i doubt if i could sack my best mate or his wife/husband. she runs little old Norwich like a WI social event insted of the potentially big club it is. Time to get real folks. i want to see us go forward not back so i think its time for change but then again we are in Norwich and we dont like change do we?

agreed.

it wasnt delia who saved our club. thats just a myth by the chefs supporters.

be nice if delia would comment on the ipswich fan rumours.

About time someone new stepped forward. we are being run by an ex binner and have gone backwards under this board. there is no reason we should be settling for rubbish.

Nobody thinks delia is our saviour that in itself is a myth created by the extreme fringe of the anti delia movement.

Does anybody think delia is our saviour? if so register your approval here!

No no, you''re getting confused... Geoffrey Watling was our Saviour, Delia Smith is our Savoury Chef... I can see how you got confused...Seriously though, give it a rest with this "everyone loves Delia" nonsense... as SHTTA says, the whole thing was just a myth perpetuated by Cluck and co.  If you''ve bought into it, it says something to me about who the bigger mug is...

[quote user="DumbleDelia is Magic"]This is a joke right?  Without Delia we would have no club to support.  Fact[/quote]

That''s not fact.

That''s spin.

[quote]

No no, you''re getting confused... Geoffrey Watling was our Saviour.[/quote]This is actually a very important point.  There are people in Norfolk who believe that standing quite close to some policemen on horseback and chanting creates change at boardroom level.  It doesn''t.  God bless him, Geoffrey Watling bought Chase out.  He didn''t need to create public disorder to do this, he did some rather dull paperwork and released some funds.Direct action doesn''t create change in a public limited company.  If it did, then every time there''s a G8 meeting, all the heads of state would resign immediately.

My god, Dumble old chap, you are still alive!  I haven''t seen you on this board for ages, hope your studies went well!

No, I have read this board for about three weeks since resuming an internet service and this is real. She''s a binner too, apparently. (Hysterical thread re Swap Shop in the 70s).  While she may be critcised for letting Mr W stay a bit too long, her heart is in the right place. 

It makes you wonder, why would anyone ever want to help this club, as they are always going to be slamed by self appointed "saviours" as above, who have never done anything apart from squabble amongst themselves in cyberspace.

I really hope it''s not going to be like this on here until August when some actual football takes place... [|-)]

[quote user="DumbleDelia is Magic"]This is a joke right?  Without Delia we would have no club to support.  Fact[/quote]

no.. if it wasnt for Watling wer would have no club.. FACT!

and we would still have a club, Bradford Survived, the Binmen Survived, Bury Survived, even Rotherham will survive.. all with a worse financial situiation than us.. if Delia hadn''t of bought us someone else would have... Aldo Spinelli should of.. and Look at Livorno''s rise over the past 12 seasons under his Stewardship compared to our performances over that time and i would be suprised to see anyone disagreeing.

jas :)

I wrote the "hysterical" piece about Delia and ''Swap Shop''. Too long, as usual, but I am used to being paid by the word and the habit sticks! Anyway, she isn''t an Ipswich fan, period. If it makes people feel good to think she is, fine, I''m not going to argue the point anymore as it is not even something open to debate or worthy of it.

Immediately before Delia and MWJ were involved in the club, we were in such dire financial straits, that the club was about to go under. That isn''t an urban myth, it is correct and the truth. The club was desperate for funding and made an appeal for help, last act so to speak. It was Delia and MWJ who agreed to inject part of their fortune into the club that kept the club afloat. Without it, it is very likely that we wouldn''t have the club today.

So quite how that very well documented action over that time  after the end of the Chase regime is a "myth" is beyond me-if it wasn''t her who put in the money that saved the club, then who was it & how the hell do you become a majority shareholder without putting a lot of money in, explain that please-did she steal them, did they fall off the back of a Sainsbury''s lorry, or was she able to buy them for £0.000000001p each? If you don''t believe me and want to continue the campaign against her, fine, carry on and do so, thats your right-I dare say you could check back on media reports of the time this happened, club records, accounts, whatever else that is available that might add weight to this, but hey, don''t let your enthusiasm for this mythical sugar daddy you''re all going to attract get in the way of your fight!

Besides, they''d probably all be made up wouldn''t they, more conspiracies to toy with!

[quote user="mbncfc"]I really hope it''s not going to be like this on here until August when some actual football takes place... [|-)][/quote]

Buckle your seat belt!

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

[quote user="mbncfc"]I really hope it''s not going to be like this on here until August when some actual football takes place... [|-)][/quote]

Buckle your seat belt!

[/quote]

LOL! Hopefully we''ll be able to talk about football over the coming weeks as the anticipated new signings come in!

We''re all going to disagree on a lot of things relating to the club, sometimes it just best to agree to disagree!

jas the barclay king

well said.

it WAS watling NOT delia who saved us.

Perhaps old shuck would like to argue that one with another war and peace? Does old shuck work for the club i wonder? Not Neil Doncaster are you mate?

[quote user="Millo"]

jas the barclay king

well said.

Perhaps old shuck would like to argue that one with another war and peace? Does old shuck work for the club i wonder? Not Neil Doncaster are you mate?

[/quote]

No incorrect.

Watling removed Chase which was a massive first step, and something (among many otehr things) i will always be grateful to him for.

However the club were in real danger of being served a winding up order, and needed money to placate ur major creditor. Delia and her husband provided this, thus saving the club.

Whats happened since is up for debate, but lets not start altering history to fit our points of view.

I don''t work for the club now but I know people who still do.

Yes, I''ll admit to forgetting Sir Geoffrey Watling''s contribution and I apologise for that to him and to those posters who have pointed that out. I''m a bit blinkered re.Delia and MWJ for various reasons. But they DID help to save the club at a further time of crisis, if they hadn''t bought those shares and injected that money when they did, then we would have been up the old shit creek then, just as we would have been at the time SGW came along on his white charger.

This has been an interesting debate although I''m going to step out of it now and get more into the purely football-related ones! They''re more fun and less controversial!! Its good to see that so many posters on here have the sort of passion for the club that they will write and believe in it so much-even those that have opposing views. We''re all Norwich at the end of the day, after all!

Anyway Jas, no more "War and Peace" (LOL-nice one!) from me on this one now. Cheers, see you on the football threads!

[quote user="Millo"]

jas the barclay king

well said.

[/quote]

Ah, I get it now.

Mr Watling saved the club from going under by buying Robert Chase''s shares...

...but Delia did not save the club because it is very unusual (not impossible - note Accrington) for a club to actually go under.

Excellent. Nothing like a bit of consistency (which this is, of course, nothing like a bit of consitency)

Millo: you don''t work for Cluck by any chance do you? [;)]

MBNCFC

the days of clubs going out of business are long gone.

as for accrington stanley, that was over 25 odd years ago-you dont work for milk adverts do you?

OLD SHUCK

Very good points, lets get back to football.

[quote user="Millo"]

MBNCFC

the days of clubs going out of business are long gone.

as for accrington stanley, that was over 25 odd years ago-you dont work for milk adverts do you?

[/quote]

Why yes... yes I do... [C]

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote] No no, you''re getting confused... Geoffrey Watling was our Saviour.[/quote]

This is actually a very important point.  There are people in Norfolk who believe that standing quite close to some policemen on horseback and chanting creates change at boardroom level. 

It doesn''t.

God bless him, Geoffrey Watling bought Chase out.  He didn''t need to create public disorder to do this, he did some rather dull paperwork and released some funds.

Direct action doesn''t create change in a public limited company.  If it did, then every time there''s a G8 meeting, all the heads of state would resign immediately.

[/quote]

Are you saying that, had there been no protests, Chase would have voluntarily sold his stake to G.Watling anyway?

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote] No no, you''re getting confused... Geoffrey Watling was our Saviour.[/quote]

This is actually a very important point.  There are people in Norfolk who believe that standing quite close to some policemen on horseback and chanting creates change at boardroom level. 

It doesn''t.

God bless him, Geoffrey Watling bought Chase out.  He didn''t need to create public disorder to do this, he did some rather dull paperwork and released some funds.

Direct action doesn''t create change in a public limited company.  If it did, then every time there''s a G8 meeting, all the heads of state would resign immediately.

[/quote]

Make no mistake without the protests Chase would never have gone FACT. If you think different you are very naive.

[quote user="Ricky Knight"]Make no mistake without the protests Chase would never have gone FACT. If you think different you are very naive.[/quote]

You seem to be uncertain as what what the word FACT means Ricky.  I''ve dug it up from dictionary.com if you need a refresher.

fact      [fakt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun

1.something that actually exists; reality; truth: Your fears have no basis in fact.

2.something known to exist or to have happened: Space travel is now a fact.

3.a truth known by actual experience or observation; something known to be true: Scientists gather facts about plant growth.

4.something said to be true or supposed to have happened: The facts given by the witness are highly questionable.

5.Law. Often, facts. an actual or alleged event or circumstance, as distinguished from its legal effect or consequence. Compare question of fact, question of law.

6.after the fact, Law. after the commission of a crime: an accessory after the fact.

7.before the fact, Law. prior to the commission of a crime: an accessory before the fact.

8.in fact, actually; really; indeed: In fact, it was a wonder that anyone survived.

[Origin: 1530–40; < L factum something done, deed, n. use of neut. of factus done, ptp. of facere to do1]

As the protests occured, something that may have happened if they had not occured can not be a fact.

We will never know what would have happened if the protests had not happened.

The fact is that the protests did not cause the change, the handing of money over did.

People dont seriously believe that protests dont have an affect?

Most recent case glenn roeder took all that stick at the end of newcastles home defeat to blackburn and where is he now? down the job  centre!

If people believe the chase protests didnt have an effect they are pretty foolish.

It doesn''t.

[/quote]

Oh my gawd. What hope have we got with this sort of wally about. Dream on mate cos like it or not youre gonna need torely on us to sort this club out and youll be along for the ride Im sure when things get better. Loving the club is fighting for it not watching it die slowly like a sick animal.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

[quote user="Ricky Knight"]Make no mistake without the protests Chase would never have gone FACT. If you think different you are very naive.[/quote]

You seem to be uncertain as what what the word FACT means Ricky.  I''ve dug it up from dictionary.com if you need a refresher.

fact      [fakt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun

1.something that actually exists; reality; truth: Your fears have no basis in fact.

2.something known to exist or to have happened: Space travel is now a fact.

3.a truth known by actual experience or observation; something known to be true: Scientists gather facts about plant growth.

4.something said to be true or supposed to have happened: The facts given by the witness are highly questionable.

5.Law. Often, facts. an actual or alleged event or circumstance, as distinguished from its legal effect or consequence. Compare question of fact, question of law.

6.after the fact, Law. after the commission of a crime: an accessory after the fact.

7.before the fact, Law. prior to the commission of a crime: an accessory before the fact.

8.in fact, actually; really; indeed: In fact, it was a wonder that anyone survived.

[Origin: 1530–40; < L factum something done, deed, n. use of neut. of factus done, ptp. of facere to do1]

As the protests occured, something that may have happened if they had not occured can not be a fact.

We will never know what would have happened if the protests had not happened.

The fact is that the protests did not cause the change, the handing of money over did.

[/quote]

When Chase finally gave in he said something along the lines of "i can handle the pressure, but when it started to effect my family enough was enough". Its obviously a shame things had to get to that stage but it is also obvious that the protests (and press coverage,effects on his other businesses etc.) lead directly to the handing over of money for the shares. Any one who kept up with events at the time knows that Chase would never have just decided to hand the club over to someone else. If you seriously believe your apparent take on things then i think i really have heard it all.

[quote user="Stop The Cook"]

It doesn''t.

[/quote]

Oh my gawd. What hope have we got with this sort of wally about. Dream on mate cos like it or not youre gonna need torely on us to sort this club out and youll be along for the ride Im sure when things get better. Loving the club is fighting for it not watching it die slowly like a sick animal.

[/quote]

Going under a new avatar these days, are we Cluck? [:D]

[quote] Any one who kept up with events at the time knows that Chase would

never have just decided to hand the club over to someone else. If you

seriously believe your apparent take on things then i think i really

have heard it all.[/quote]I think we both know that he was running out of money and time with or without the protests.  If people want to believe that "they did their bit to save their club", I can''t change that.  He would have gone sooner or later though.  People thinking that organising public disorder can change things sets a dangerous precedent, don''t you think ?  I wouldn''t want to be responsible for encouraging that, who knows where it might lead.[quote]"When it started to effect my family"[/quote]So that''s what we''ve got to look forward to is it ? If we have another season like this one, then people who have spent millions of pounds and thousands of hours into keeping the ship running will get thrown overboard, their families intimidated and businesses effected ?  Stop the cook and your cronies, GROW UP.  We''re football fans, not the Animal Liberation Front FFS.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote] Any one who kept up with events at the time knows that Chase would never have just decided to hand the club over to someone else. If you seriously believe your apparent take on things then i think i really have heard it all.[/quote]

I think we both know that he was running out of money and time with or without the protests.  If people want to believe that "they did their bit to save their club", I can''t change that.  He would have gone sooner or later though.  People thinking that organising public disorder can change things sets a dangerous precedent, don''t you think ?  I wouldn''t want to be responsible for encouraging that, who knows where it might lead.

[quote]"When it started to effect my family"[/quote]

So that''s what we''ve got to look forward to is it ? If we have another season like this one, then people who have spent millions of pounds and thousands of hours into keeping the ship running will get thrown overboard, their families intimidated and businesses effected ? 

Stop the cook and your cronies, GROW UP.  We''re football fans, not the Animal Liberation Front FFS.
[/quote]

Chase ruled Carrow Rd. like his own personal kingdom and i think those who put their necks on the line to protest hastened his departure by a good few years. He may have been running short of ready cash but the club owned plenty of land which could have been flogged off. He didn`t want to do that because it would have looked like an admission that he shouldn`t have bought it in the first place.

"People thinking that organising public disorder can change things sets a dangerous precedent, don`t you think?" I was in Berlin two weeks ago and people still talk with great pride about the day the wall came down. Direct action is often the last resort if those handful of people who hold power refuse to listen to the majority. For what its worth i don`t think the current board deserve anything like that sort of treatment-however it wouldn`t suprise me if the very dim and distant possibility of it focusses their minds a little bit.