Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

This Is What Delia Thinks Of Us!

http://new.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PINKUNOnline&tCategory=Norwich&itemid=NOED09%20May%202007%2009%3A32%3A03%3A913

So now we know!.

Even if WE wanted foreign investment.......she will block it.

9/5/07

The day ambition died at Norwich!.

Cluck &  Smudger are owed an apology.....................you were right all the while!.

Pathetic, isn''t it?

It''s like "I know best" - when she clearly doesn''t. And she''s right about one thing at least - yes Delia, you would be absolutely hated if we had a big offer and you rejected it, that I can guarantee. This isn''t YOUR club. It belongs to us too.

Also found her comments about "wishing" one of these foreign investments in some English clubs would go "belly up" completely uncalled for - it just shows how "God" she thinks she is, just so she can say "Look, I was right and you were wrong"

Like I said. Pathetic.

But Wiz, she is a Norwich fan. So is her husband. So are our two new board members.

There is a poll on this forum where a majority have voted they would prefer we said no to a foreign investor (for your information, I voted with the minority).

So, although you, Smmoodge and Clickclock would hate for Delia to do this, there will be many, many City fans who will agree with her and also think the current actions are far more constructive.

Maybe not having one of your better weeks on here Wiz?...

Good to see that 1st Wiz is back in charge of the Pinkun Melodrama Department now that Cludger and Schmuck have run out of steam - welcome back old boy, I much prefer your flounce to their dirge.

* Blatant Plug Alert *

Being a lovely bloke and all round good egg, I''m running a couple of polls on just this subject.  A poll is only as meaningful as the number of votes and opinions it takes, a poll of a thousand people is considered to be an accurate reflection of opinion with a margin of error of 3% for example, so please have a look at these links -

Foreign takeovers - Good Thing or Bad Thing ?

What If - The takeover scenario.

Ta muchly,

Blah.

We have already been taken over by a foreign power-the scots

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

http://new.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PINKUNOnline&tCategory=Norwich&itemid=NOED09%20May%202007%2009%3A32%3A03%3A913

So now we know!.

Even if WE wanted foreign investment.......she will block it.

9/5/07

The day ambition died at Norwich!.

Cluck &  Smudger are owed an apology.....................you were right all the while!.

[/quote]

I hope you''re not apologising for me wiz cos I for one have never agreed with all the negative rubbish that these two pour out.

And when you say WE, please don''t include me because I don''t believe that foreign investment is the only way that this club can be successful.

I firmly believe that our much criticised board who have got us in the premiership before can do it again.

Then again, I am only a SUPPORTER. so what do I know ?

She certainly hasn''t done herself any favours here has she!

Whilst we would all prefer for a true Canary to come along and buy the club to rule out any foreign investment is not wise. Any bid should be considered on its merits regardless of where it has come from. I do agree with some of her comments regarding the motives of some of the buyers and the possibility of "asset stripping". However, we are already £20 million in dept with our "prudent" board and seemingly unable to compete with our peers. I still can''t see where all the money has gone after 3 years of Sky money and 24,000+ gates plus the transfer fees & wages of Ashton, Francis, McKenzie, Green, Jonson, Helveg etc. In the dark days of the 90''s we were able to sign the likes of Iwan, Fleming & Mulryne for fees in excess of £500K - we are currently scrabbling around the basement bin looking for uncut jewells........

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]just shows how backwards we are as a club/county.  We live in a global market these days.  Norfolk - the death of ambition... and haven for the backwards.[/quote]

So the Smiths have said, its in the press, they will never give up control of the club even if there was an opportunity for our FOOTBALL club to have really ambition.

So ambition has died at Carrow Rd, we can look forward to years of mid-table mediocrity (if we are lucky) in the second tier of English FOOTBALL.  All the supports who are happy and comfortable how the FOOTBALL club is run must be rubbing their hands with glee at such a negative attitude coming from the board who control the FOOTBALL at our club. In the past Doncaster has said every thing has its price at the Carrow Rd. That is apart from Carrow Rd!

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

i think what delia has said today is spot on. it shows passion for the club, shows that she cares about it and its not just some play thing. Sludge and Clicker are as wrong today as always. foreign investment will kill english football in the long run. just wait for it to go pear shaped for someone and this buy english clubs craze will go down the drain.

a sad day indeed, while I would be wary of foreign takeover, the real danger is that we will miss the boat. Deli was right when she said it couldn''t last forever... so lets get it while we can. surely the priority has to be getting to the premiership by any means necessary. With the silly money now on offer, if we don''t benefit soon we never will as it will be the same sides going up and down forever. While I see this as potentially disasterous for English football, lets not become a statisitic but be one of the lucky ones! oh yeah and yes my spelling is crap but i have been staring at computer screens all day and am tired...

[quote user="Master J-Do Pur"]I really don''t want foreign investment. I''m happy we are looking for Norwich Fans. I don''t it to be a Brand, i want to support a club[/quote]

O.K lets get stiffed by Delia WHO IT MUST BE REMEMBERED IS, AT HEART, A SCUMMERS FAN. REMEMBER HER WEARING THE BLUE SCARF.

[/quote]

Rubbish. They said that Delia was lying when she said she would accept investment from outside the current board, we now have two new board members worth 275m who have invested 2m so far (and this is just the beginning). So Cluck and Smudger were wrong.

They also said we would definately get relegated - wrong. They also said our board were just in it for the money too - Skipper not taking a profit shows they are wrong again.

They owe Delia an apology, and all the other fans of the club they have labled ''sheep''. I''m not holding my breath though.

For all you people wanting foreign investment - for every Manderic there is a Romanov. Talk to the fans of some of the clubs who have big investment, ask them how much it costs to see their team. Ask them how many of their friends can''t afford to go anymore. Ask them what it feels like to be part of a money-spinning brand rather than a football club. Ask them why gates are down throughpout the Premiership. Ask them how much prawn sandwiches cost. Ask them what its like to regularly get a Friday night kick-off. Ask them what they think their investors will do if the club starts losing money, will they hang around? Who will pick up the pieces? Be careful what you wish for.

Foreign investment is killing the game in this country, i cannot see how any football fan would welcome it. I for one would walk away from carrow road the day ncfc was in foreign hands. My reasoning isn''t based on xenophobia, in fact this is something i despise, it is based on the belief that whilst the club is run by a city fan they will always do everything in thier power to help the club no matter how dire the situation. If it''s a foreign consortium they will just up sticks and leave the second things go wrong. I don''t trust delia to always get things right but i do trust that she will always act 100% in the clubs best interests.

[quote user="Putney Canary"]

They also said we would definately get relegated - wrong.

For all you people wanting foreign investment - for every Manderic there is a Romanov. Talk to the fans of some of the clubs who have big investment, ask them how much it costs to see their team. Ask them how many of their friends can''t afford to go anymore. Ask them what it feels like to be part of a money-spinning brand rather than a football club. Ask them why gates are down throughpout the Premiership. Ask them how much prawn sandwiches cost. Ask them what its like to regularly get a Friday night kick-off. Ask them what they think their investors will do if the club starts losing money, will they hang around? Who will pick up the pieces? Be careful what you wish for.

[/quote]

I am gratified with the mature and  constructive response............... so far, even the two who disagreed with me!. But I''ve chosen to reply to Putney Canary as I feel I can answer his points more clearly.

1. Instead of asking them what it feels like to be part of a brand...........ask them how it feels to be successful, ambitious and alive. We are already part of a brand, its called NCFC and Flybee!.

2. The cost of  attending games is already too high for some City fans. Although some seats at Old Trafford are cheaper now than when City where in the Premier!.

3. The prawn sandwich question is not worthy of my reply, although I suspect you were being ironic!.

4. As yet, no big investor is losing huge amounts of money Putney. Global mercahandise sales, TV revenue (worth 60 million quid on its own now!!) Transfer profits, catering etc, makes far more money for the investors than matchday attendences.

So yes, I do wish something like that for City, why ever not?.

You asked me to explain in more detail on another thread Putney Canary. And as I don''t intend going through the above all over again, please take this as my reply to you on that other thread as well.

Cheers.

They also said we would definately get relegated - wrong.

They owe Delia an apology, and all the other fans of the club they have labled ''sheep''.

[/quote]

I must jusrt take issue with your two points I''ve hightlighted PC.

1. Had it not been for a Lappin last second winner at Luton, and a couple of scrappy wins, Cluck and Smudger would have been right.

I hate the ''smugness'' you use in your statement, for a while, it was getting squeaky bum time..........and you know it. Compared to Colchester with zero resoures, we were an absolute disgrace!.

2. No they don''t, Delia has just said she will NEVER sell to a rich foreign investor.........so in that respect alone, they''re both spot on.

As for the ''sheep'', many is the time I''ve fell victim to their paticular nasty style of bleating!

Now lets get back on track...........please.

[/quote]

While I agree with many of your points, I can''t see the logic of this one. Everything having a higher cost is the price that has to be paid for success. By using these examples, it would be better for the club to be in the Conference as then everything would be far cheaper, which is something I vermently do not wish to see, even if at the end of the day it saves me on the wallet.

English football is in a mess, but as previously mentioned, you either have to try to catch the boat or be sitting on the shore waiving it goodbye forever. If the price of success is for NCFC to be less of a football club and more of a brand (which is proved to be true, and will become more prevalent as the foreign investment increases), then I am prepared to make that sacrifice (not ideal, a true fan with a bucket load of cash is ideal, not just enough so that we DONT have to sell our crown jewels next season as the article says). Unfortunately it is becoming the way of the world, and no matter how much you disagree with it in principle you have to make the choice, success with higher prices and a brand, or obscurity with lower prices, more "true" supporters and investers who actually care about the club. A choice I don''t particularly want to make, but given the option would choose the brand as bringing success for NCFC is greater than all other evils for me.

PC - I think you are right about foreign investment, but to turn your point on its head, for every Abramovich there is a Mandaric, not all foreign investment is bad. I think you will find that spiralling prices and odd kick off times have always been part and parcel of playing in the Prem, way befor the likes of the Glazers, Abramovich were around. Personally I lay the blame of the decline of football squarely at the feet of the FA (Premier League) and Sky, I believe they have encouraged the foreign investors to come knocking at the door because of the ludicrous amounts of TV money they pump in, so many games are now shown live it is easy for people to pick and choose which games they want to see from the comfort of their own living room/local bar.

I have said in previous posts that I think the two new board members and their assocaited investment is a good move and a step in the right direction for us. I have also said that I understand only courting those that have a passion in Norwich City FC but I temper that opinion with this - Personally I do not believe that Delia has been supporting Norwich City all her life (I believe her hubby has), and that she became a fan when she invested heavily in the club (I do believe she is passionate about Norwich City now) so why rule out somebody who is not passionate about the club now but could become so in the long run? 

[quote user="Putney Canary"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

Rubbish. They said that Delia was lying when she said she would accept investment from outside the current board, we now have two new board members worth 275m who have invested 2m so far (and this is just the beginning). So Cluck and Smudger were wrong.

They also said we would definately get relegated - wrong. They also said our board were just in it for the money too - Skipper not taking a profit shows they are wrong again.

They owe Delia an apology, and all the other fans of the club they have labled ''sheep''. I''m not holding my breath though.

[/quote]

I don’t want to get into a cluck/smudger right or wrong debate but I would like to point out that no-one has invested £2m in Norwich City.  They have given City a £2m interest free loan which does not constitute investment to me.  Ok it gives City some short-term breathing space but in the long-term it just adds £2m more the club has to pay back out of future income.  Future income that can now not be spent on the playing side.  They may well write off the loan at a later date but currently all the board have done is increased the clubs debt yet again.

Secondly, whilst I am not the biggest fan of foreign investment I think it’s very narrow minded to dismiss out of hand any foreign investment.  What a lot of foreign investors realise is that for any football club to be commercially and financially viable success has to be achieved on the pitch.  This board should be commended on their investment outside of “pitch activities” but any monies to be made from these ventures is peanuts compared to how much it would be worth to have been promoted this season. 

Of course ploughing money into a team does not guarantee success but the biggest spenders this year have been automatically promoted or are in the play offs.  I understand the board do not want to risk the future of the club by overspending but it appears at times they are forgetting that the same future risk applies from under spending.  We may well have avoided relegation with some comfort in the end this year but it could have been very different.

I will agree that foreign investment comes with a risk but to dismiss it out of hand is risky too.  Robert Chase was a local investor; it did not stop him from nearly running the club into the ground. 

Finally, is Delia really from Stowmarket because she sounds like she is from Royston Vasey.  “Are you local?  This is a local club, for local investors!”

The Premiership is a Global Brand. Every game is beamed around the world and EPL fans can be found in every part of the globe. I live and work in Asia, travelling extensively throughout the continent. You would be amazed by the level of knowledge of the English game that can be found on the street in this pat of the world. In China, Jaopan, Korea and other countries they follow the English game because of it''s far more exciting than Spanish, German, Italian, French etc, etc.

A couple of years ago I sat in the ruins of Angkhor Wat chatting to a couple of poor Cambodian kids about the chances of Bolton geting into Europe. They hardly could speak a word of English but football is a global language. While we were chatting an undercover policemen came up and demanded to know from the kids what we were talking about; and when he learned it was aout English football he joined in too. Within ten minutes a small group had gathered, food vendors, souvenier sellers,  street sweepers, curious kids, and the policeman. Everybody forgot what they were supposed to be about as we chatted about football.Funnily enough they even knew about NCFC. One guy told me that City were known in Cambodia because of the ''little yellow bird'' which just happens to be a commuist symbol in Asia.

Anyway, my point is that the Premiership is Global, and global brands (Ford, Nike, Pepsi etc. etc) will want to reach to the global market through football - particularly English football.Whether we like it or not that is the way the future is going. We can choose not to be part of it (Little Old Norwich) and look forward to a future of second and third tier football. Alternatively we can become one of the big boys and link up with a major investor who has the global vision of the next decade.

Regardless of whoever owns the shares, Tony/Sharon or Toshiba, I will always be a fan of NCFC.

only wants a norwich supporter? im sure i recall photos of delia floating about at the ipswich cup final wearing a blue and white rossette and does she not come from and live in suffolk?

does not have to be foriegn investment, what happens if some one from up north or london or whatever wants to invest?

are we now the comedy series the league of gentlemen where we are "a local shop for local people"?

do we now say we cant have foriegn supporters or non norfolk folk following the club? im sure the capital canaries will be happy.

i like delia but this is foolish to rule out a takeover by anyone who isnt a city fan.

what exactly does she mean by brand? Leicester city a brand? portsmouth? millwall? southampton? All been in takeover talks yet i doubt you would class them as a brand.

The reason a lot of foriegn investers look at english clubs is because they all grow up watching english football and want to get involved in the best football leagues in the world.

If you grew up in a country where the football was poor and english football was beemed over constantly would you not become interested in english football?

Ive worked with a lot of foriegners and they all love english footy, some even supported wimbledon.

whats more important, taking the club forward or being regarded as a club of inbreds?

i would also like to point out that i have met norwich supporters in bulgaria, germany, holland, hungary, sweden and denmark while following england and found 2 americans in las vegas who at 1st glance thought they were wearing brazil tops but we got chatting and they watch norwich on the net. so much for only locals support the club.

i do like delia but this sort of small club mentality really gets my goat!

well said wiz!

I think Norwich need to take the risk of investment from anywhere.At the end of the day one of these clubs who are getting substantial investment and then fail to get to the premiership are going to count the cost because the investor will not be happy in the lost profits. This will cause them to withdraw there funds and probably put the club into administration causing lower tier football. This could very well happen to Norwich considering that the team has a habit of underperforming - I''m sure most people will agree that the team we have should have been challenging for promotion rather than fighting off relegation.However without decent investment from somewhere the team will just drift to the lower leagues anyway - I would rather us attempt to be great and if it fails then try the rebuilding then rather than us go out with a whimper. I also think it is pointless sacking the current board until that new investment comes along but they must be willing to look at all offers.

Thought i would stick my head into this as 1st wizard was at 1 point totally against me and the board demo campaign { which is nothing to do with me anymore, but you should hear more next season from the new organisers}.

1st Wizard- Im glad you have finally come round to my way of thinking, and its only posts like yours and mine that might get the "happy little norwich" and the "lets be avin you" brigade to get there heads out of the sand and realise that we can be a decent club, and dont have to settle for mediocrity.

People are slowly realising this club needs a new board and new direction.

Whats so wrong with investment from overseas? Are people that stupid that they believe any buisnessmen from abroad are going to buy norwich and run them into the ground with debts? Are we not in debt at the moment? Wouldnt the debts be cleared by a takeover.

Hopefully more and more of you will begin to see sense and that people like wiz are not wind up merchants but simple care about the club and feel so strongly they are not afraid to upset the applecart. I wish there were more like you.

All the best Wiz. Ricky Knight, Smudger etc with your efforts to convince people. It takes time for people to realise but we are slowly getting there.

Lee Oliver

p.s im now a grandad!!!

1. Had it not been for a Lappin last second winner at Luton, and a couple of scrappy wins, Cluck and Smudger would have been right.

[/quote]

If you believe this to be true then you must also accept that if it hadn''t been for many last minute goals against us and a few scrappy defeats we could have been in the play offs!

What I believe to be the truth is where we finished this season is where we deserved to finish - nowhere near the play offs and in no danger of being relegated. Which in fact is where we have been since September!

[quote user="theolster"]

p.s im now a grandad!!!

[/quote]

Congrats Theolster [B]

My 4th grandchild will be arriving early next month!