Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Delia Will Never Take Us Anywhere!.............

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[quote user="Plastic Scouser"]When you actually see past 1st Wiz''s reputation for wind-ups and generally annoying the hell out of certain posters on here, he''s actually made some very good points.

[/quote]

Good grief! Plastic Scouser, I don''t know if you''ve just complimented me, or insulted me mate!.[;)]

Never mind though, in keeping with this well behaved thread (can it last I say?) your reply has raised some very vaild points.

For myself, although I''m happy to back Gant (for now!) the board, and Delia, will sacrifice him to save their own backsides from being blamed for any future failings.

I afraid to say I think Grant won''t survive here long.

And no, I don''t want that to happen, because I quite like his honest approach to the game.

[/quote]

But that has always been managements perogative Wiz.

As I have often said "It''s Delias train set". She can run it to what ever timetable she pleases. The question is, will it reach the Premier Station in the Promised Land before all the passengers tire of the journey and decide to get off. You can''t get away with blaming the engine driver for ever.

I''m like you you. I will back Grant but if there is no sign of improvement in 12 months time then Grant and Delia will be in serious trouble. I think in years to come we will look back on the 2007/08 season as pivital in our fortunes. Wether good or bad, remains to be seen.

I don''t think the Board are doing anything particularly wrong, its just that I think their abilities are quite limited and that they, like Nigel Worthington, do not demonstrate much ability to drive the club forward.

Neil Doncaster our chief executive is a lawyer who previosuly supported Bristol Rovers and worked for a regional law firm. He was originally brought in to be company secretary which means negotiating the contracts (largely standard form) and drafting Board Minutes. I was surprised when he was appointed CEO. Contrast him with Gordon Bennett who was a football man through and through and was with us for many of our most successful years.

So you have a CEO who is neither a businessman or a football man, and a majority shareholder who while passionate, appears like a child with a new toy. A sort of innocent wonderment pervades her approach to the plaything.

Is it any wonder then that this combination results in a cautious, retiring and conflict-avoiding way of running the club? My thought is not to parade against the Board or demonstrate against them but recognise their actual strengths but not let them continue to run things in the way they are doing so. They need a strong figurehead, a person of experience of a hard hitting business and also someone with football in their blood.

We don''t need hedge fund managers, organic fruit growers or an accountant. Supplement what we have with the above, reconfigure the roles and responsibilities, let PG practice what he preaches, build the academy and spend money on players rather than ugly hotels or overpriced corner infills.

I agree with that Tumbleweed.  I would not say they are a bad board but they have been unable to drive the club forward on the pitch.  We are back to where they started in terms of league position.

The main problem the board have had in the last few seasons is that they have been no where near proactive enough and have more often than not reacted late to a situation that had been apparent for a while.  Releasing money for a striker in the Premier League, sacking Worthington etc all happened too late and the board almost had to be slapped around the face to see the obviousness of what had needed to be done for some time. 

It appears to me that they procrastinate too much on big decisions and just let things fester until they can go on no longer.  I don’t think we need a whole new board but we do need a new broom and someone with forthright views capable of making tough decisions for the benefit of the club.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]

I don''t think the Board are doing anything particularly wrong, its just that I think their abilities are quite limited and that they, like Nigel Worthington, do not demonstrate much ability to drive the club forward.

[/quote]Exactly the point.  Is this where we want the club to be though?By the way Wiz that was meant to be a complement of sorts!!!!!

[quote user="Pieman"]Is it just me who''s getting REALLY bored of all this whinging and sniping??[/quote]

yes

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="Pieman"]Is it just me who''s getting REALLY bored of all this whinging and sniping??[/quote]

yes

[/quote]

I spoke too soon, and it was going so well!.

Come on guys, don''t let Delia off the hook please, its our club under her leadership, thats going to suffer.

If, God forbid, Ipswich get their much rumoured investor, you''re gonna be pig sick with them waving at us from the Premier league, aren''t you?.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

yes

[/quote] No I am fed up to the back teeth with the constant boring slating of the board. For gods sake pleae stop it!!! ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!

Wiz , you are a sweet lovely old boy , but it seems every time something happens to your fish we get a poor response on the board , have you thought about changing their food ?  i know you have beaten chicken flu in your part of the country , but finrot is still abroad , if we could beat that we would be home free , but we would lose you on the board and that would never be good enough .

[quote user="ray ducker"]

Wiz , you are a sweet lovely old boy , but it seems every time something happens to your fish we get a poor response on the board , have you thought about changing their food ?  i know you have beaten chicken flu in your part of the country , but finrot is still abroad , if we could beat that we would be home free , but we would lose you on the board and that would never be good enough .

[/quote]

Ray my friend, the fish are no more, they are deceased fish, they are berift of life and gone to join the great invisible aquarium in the sky................they are ex fish!.

In other words.................I''ve sold up!.

To Whom It Concerns:

I''m not letting go of the Delia situation, its far too damn important. I owe it to to the posters who have made long, and reasoned debate on this subject here to give up on it now.

I also believe the one line comments and insults contribute nothing to this debate.

I believe its vital to continue this thread, and I hope the moderators see it that way too. There has been some brilliant and frank replies already, and in general its been very polite, and the moderators must be take some credit for that fact.

The decisions being made at Carrow Road these days will affect us for the next 20 years.

It is vital, bloody vital, that those against this fortress Delia mentality speak out:

Its our club.................not hers!.

Neil Doncaster our chief executive is a lawyer who previosuly supported Bristol Rovers and worked for a regional law firm. He was originally brought in to be company secretary which means negotiating the contracts (largely standard form) and drafting Board Minutes. I was surprised when he was appointed CEO. Contrast him with Gordon Bennett who was a football man through and through and was with us for many of our most successful years.

So you have a CEO who is neither a businessman or a football man, and a majority shareholder who while passionate, appears like a child with a new toy. A sort of innocent wonderment pervades her approach to the plaything.

Is it any wonder then that this combination results in a cautious, retiring and conflict-avoiding way of running the club? My thought is not to parade against the Board or demonstrate against them but recognise their actual strengths but not let them continue to run things in the way they are doing so. They need a strong figurehead, a person of experience of a hard hitting business and also someone with football in their blood.

We don''t need hedge fund managers, organic fruit growers or an accountant. Supplement what we have with the above, reconfigure the roles and responsibilities, let PG practice what he preaches, build the academy and spend money on players rather than ugly hotels or overpriced corner infills.

[/quote]

Well summed up Tumbleweed, you are spot on....its just human nature to blame someone for what''s wrong....I think the board do have the best interests of the club at heart, but are clueless at how to implement them to bring success....

Thank you gazza. I feel that too often opinions seems to veer from one extreme to another. Either the Board are universally useless and incompetent or they are all beyond reproach. I suspect the actual boring truth does lie somewhere in the middle. What they need to do is realise their strengths and limitations and act accordingly. At the moment I don''t feel that they do understand that not all is well. But that doesn''t mean that all is disastrous either.

Wiz- unlike some others who post frequently on here I do believe you do have the club''s interests at heart and your emotional pleas do often resonate with me. I think you sometimes call for the extreme in the hope of achieving at least part. Knowing that one won''t get everything one wishes for, a standard negotiating tactic is to ask for it all but settle for what one can get. I applaud your attempts to rise above the bile and one-line put downs. This is a serious issue- the current plight of Leeds indeed shows how much negative impact a Board can have.

I may not share all your views my friend but I do agree its an important debate and one I hope those in charge will listen to.

I am with those of the opinion that the real truth of our Board''s abilities lies somewhere in between those who think they can do no wrong and those who think everything they do is wrong: put purely simplistically there are plenty of clubs such as Forest, Sheff Wed, Leeds, QPR, Barnsley who have come off a lot worse than we have on being in the Prem for a spell, by spending time in League 1; plenty who have done about the same in Palace, Coventry, Binners, Leicester et al, and those who have done better such as Brum, Sunderland, Wolves, WBA, Southampton, (though some were possibly in better position having had longer spells in the top flight/yo-yoing between). 

Surely to be in that middle group doesn''t mean we have a bad Board, but an ''average''/''ok'' one.  We''d all want to be in that "better" group, but it is surely something reasonable if not spectacular that we aren''t in the bottom one.

IMO what we need is not necessarily an overhaul of the proportions mooted by some, but some investment and transition to possible new ideas - indeed, largely along the lines of what appears to be happening.  The idea that our Club''s owners should sell up lock stock and barrel to some (foreign or otherwise) investor who cares nothing for the club and is only in it for the money/kudos fills me with absolute dread.  If that is really the way forward for football clubs then I will start to watch Rugby or something, as it is not what I want for football or my club.  Others are entitled to their different opinion, but mine will not change.

Wiz- unlike some others who post frequently on here I do believe you do have the club''s interests at heart and your emotional pleas do often resonate with me. I think you sometimes call for the extreme in the hope of achieving at least part. Knowing that one won''t get everything one wishes for, a standard negotiating tactic is to ask for it all but settle for what one can get. I applaud your attempts to rise above the bile and one-line put downs. This is a serious issue- the current plight of Leeds indeed shows how much negative impact a Board can have.

I may not share all your views my friend but I do agree its an important debate and one I hope those in charge will listen to.

[/quote]

Tumbleweed:

I must admit, I''d never considered that theory of yours. Maybe, on a deep subconsious level I''m doing exactly as you say.....spooky that.

I agree with you, it is a serious matter, bloody serious!.

But at the risk of tempting fate I''m pleased about the general mature nature of the posts and replies on this subject. And apart from the odd one line rebuffs and jibes, I have taken on board an awful lot of what posters have had to say on this.

And that my friend, is as it should be.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="ray ducker"]

[/quote]

Ray my friend, the fish are no more, they are deceased fish, they are berift of life and gone to join the great invisible aquarium in the sky................they are ex fish!.

To Whom It Concerns:

I''m not letting go of the Delia situation, its far too damn important. I owe it to to the posters who have made long, and reasoned debate on this subject here to give up on it now.

I also believe the one line comments and insults contribute nothing to this debate.

I believe its vital to continue this thread, and I hope the moderators see it that way too. There has been some brilliant and frank replies already, and in general its been very polite, and the moderators must be take some credit for that fact.

The decisions being made at Carrow Road these days will affect us for the next 20 years.

It is vital, bloody vital, that those against this fortress Delia mentality speak out:

[/quote]

So sorry you have given up your fish Wiz , i hope you have still got your tanks , because once a tropical fish man always one , let me know if you ever want to get started again , get some good stock next time .

[quote user="ray ducker"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="ray ducker"]

[/quote]

To Whom It Concerns:

[/quote]

So sorry you have given up your fish Wiz , i hope you have still got your tanks , because once a tropical fish man always one , let me know if you ever want to get started again , get some good stock next time .

[/quote]

Ray, are you suggesting that Wizard operates in a similar manner to what he accuses the Norwich Board of doing....buying cheap and not getting the required performance.?

YC:

At long last you enter the debate!, but I was expecting a little more sunbstance to your imput, but what do you bring to the table?.................just petty point scoring.

Thats a shame.

Because I''ve always thought, if nothing else, you are the one poster I''m aware of who on their day, can fight their corner in a terrier like manner, in that respect you are unsupassed.

So, unless your post was just a ''toe in the water recon'' job, before the full force of your spleen is vented upon us......you''ve wasted your time..............again!.

Very dissapointing my old nemises.[:P]

Putney Canary, IMHO an excellent post well balanced with a view to a sensible conclusion.  It''s nice to read a piece that has a non whingeing content.  The main content says that we should be looking as fans for a club that looks for old fashioned values with its requirements and aspirations built from our grass roots, with realism being our guiding force.  Thanks PC for pointing us to realism and diverting our gaze towards realism rather than Abramovism.OTBC

Except obscurity maybe.

Now I see Coventry, yes bloody Coventry!, will be taken over next month by a USA investor, thus wiping out their 28 million pound debt overnight,  they will also have a 20 million warchest too, so watch them go up next season.

But none of this of course is for La La Delia and her ''little old Norwich''. Oh no!, we aren''t allowed to court that kind of investor. Simply because La La won''t allow it!.

No, we get two new local directors who have LOANED us 2 million!. And even that isn''t for new players, its so we don''t have to sell our best ones, as we only have two anyway, who''s bothered?. 

La La''s insists any investor must come from Norfolk, and no foreinger will be allowed to invest in City. Not only is that statement dubious by its very nature, I''m sure the current shareholders are well pleased with their smaller profits too.

Unless that woman leaves our club, we are going to continue to be left behind whilst others of our statue leap ahead.

I cannot see how anyone can possibly support this pathetic view of hers.....................so why try to do it?.

She''s not a saint, she didn''t save Norwich (Mr Watling did!) she''s a tired figurehead for a club adrift alone in the football world.

Someone save us please.

[/quote]

Now you say you dont want investment?

Strange?

No, we get two new local directors who have LOANED us 2 million!. And even that isn''t for new players, its so we don''t have to sell our best ones, as we only have two anyway, who''s bothered?. 

[/quote]

It has to be a loan, otherwise it is called a financial irregularity.  I sincerely doubt the Turners expect to see this money back anyway.

And finally, you don''t court these types of investors.  Wealthy (billionaires/multi multi millionaires) either want to invest or they don''t.  You don''t just nip down to Monte Carlo, look for the biggest yacht and say "excuse me rich man, fancy investing 50+ million in a chamionship football club".  For heavens sake get real man!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

[quote user="Millo"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

Except obscurity maybe.

Now I see Coventry, yes bloody Coventry!, will be taken over next month by a USA investor, thus wiping out their 28 million pound debt overnight,  they will also have a 20 million warchest too, so watch them go up next season.

But none of this of course is for La La Delia and her ''little old Norwich''. Oh no!, we aren''t allowed to court that kind of investor. Simply because La La won''t allow it!.

La La''s insists any investor must come from Norfolk, and no foreinger will be allowed to invest in City. Not only is that statement dubious by its very nature, I''m sure the current shareholders are well pleased with their smaller profits too.

Unless that woman leaves our club, we are going to continue to be left behind whilst others of our statue leap ahead.

I cannot see how anyone can possibly support this pathetic view of hers.....................so why try to do it?.

She''s not a saint, she didn''t save Norwich (Mr Watling did!) she''s a tired figurehead for a club adrift alone in the football world.

Someone save us please.

[/quote]

Now you say you dont want investment?

Strange?

[/quote]

Not really it''s called changing your mind.

We did delete some of them Wiz, but we allowed a few to stay to allow Millo to make his point.Ideally we need a ''don''t allow replies to this thread after X days'' option, but this message board system doesn''t have it.

[quote user="Web Team - Vince"]We did delete some of them Wiz, but we allowed a few to stay to allow Millo to make his point.

Ideally we need a ''don''t allow replies to this thread after X days'' option, but this message board system doesn''t have it.

[/quote]

With respect Vince it''s the last thing we need.  Exposing frauds and charlatans is always worthwhile and adds to the entertainment.  More seriously, sometimes there is factual information on old threads which can be useful in backing up or challenging opinions - unless you''re a fan of unsubstantiated speculation . . .

[quote user="Web Team - Vince"]We did delete some of them Wiz, but we allowed a few to stay to allow Millo to make his point.

Ideally we need a ''don''t allow replies to this thread after X days'' option, but this message board system doesn''t have it.
[/quote]

Well done Vince. Its a valid point. If people are allowed to slag us off for the sort of posts they used to make only weeks ago, accusing us of not being true fans etc, its only right that we provide evidence of what they have said in the past. Well done mods!

[/quote]

In replying to a months old thread of mine Vince!, which I''ve already justified a 100 times before, its just that I can''t be bothered to republish my old explanation for my change of heart from my past threads.

I''ll leave that to others!