Sign in to follow this  
Steve Mortlock

Safri or Fozzy

I know who I would much rather have in my starting line up.  Safs never ducks out of a challenge and has the vision and skills to take the sting out of a game.  He is every bit as intelligent as he is skilfull.  although his goal scoring ratio is poor, how many times has a youseff ball resulted in a scoring opportunity.  He is dogged, hard working and never shirks responsibility.  Surely the best ball player we have had at this club since crook.  would work well at the base of a diamond midfield, sitting just in front of defence, allowing Etuhu to use his much vaunted pace and power further forward.  Fotheringham from what I have seen lacks any kind of pace.  I have not seen him complete a convincing tackle, without giving the ball away.  Does not seem to follow the pace of the play and seems in the wrong place or in the way.  Passing woeful and an inability to track back and win the ball once he has lost it.  For me, it seems youseff is perhaps drawing a higher pay cheque and for some reason Grant does not like him.  I heard the radio a few weeks back when grant says he is unfit to play (prior to getting injured) and that he cannot handle playing two games on the bounce.  a friend of safri rang in stating this not to be the case and that if he was not fit to play he would publiclly state this.  Perhaps a clash of ego''s who knows.  Worst case scenario is we lose Safri due to these politics and we get Fotheringham as a replacement.  I hope this is not how things pan out. Please also ensure gary doherty does not get to wear yellow and green again.  V poor, uncomposed and charitable to opposition in the final thrid.

Fozzy probably still isn''t up to the pace of the english game after stints in Switzerland & Germany.  A good pre-season and we may well see a much improved player next year, lets hope so.  Jury is still out for me on Fozzy.

Safri is OK but he rarely plays these days.  Perhaps he doesn''t look after himself as well as he should.

At this moment in time I would ditch both in favour of Michael Spillane.

Safri - even though he only plays half the games due to absence he is still more influential over the season than any other current midfielder (alhough that could be dickson if his recent performances can be continued - but I think I typed that this time last year)   

i would start with saf but keep fozzy on the bench to see what he is like when fully fit plus we have a small squad so need squad players

Spillane does seem to be the ventual replacement for Fozzy and Sa, athough his preerence is to play in central defence. Spillane seems to have better control than most of the youngsters, as well as flexibility as to position played. All in all a fine prospect.

well would keep both play safri as much as poss but of course he seems to get injurede or tired alot so fozzy there as a reserve

everyone keeps saying that Safri gets tired "alot"  maybe im wrong but i can only remember this happening the once?

Surely this can''t  be a serious question? Unless, of course you''re really Peter Grant in disguise.

Come on now Granty. Own up, own up!

OTBC

For whatever reason, Safri just doesn''t play enough games in a season. The teams that get promoted are generally those that keep a consistent team, week in week out.

[quote user="sdldjl05"]everyone keeps saying that Safri gets tired "alot"  maybe im wrong but i can only remember this happening the once?[/quote]

and actually he wasnt ''tired'' in that sense, he was suffering muscle fatigue.

However it is obvious is is an injury prone player.  But to level this critisism at him and not Croft and Chadwick, whom both seem to have far more fitness issues than Safri is unfair in the extreme.

I do truly wonder if some of you people actually watch the games or are to busy throwing balloons around to notice the events on the pitch....

Safri is a good player, and a good passer. And he would look good at the base of a midfield diamond. 

However, you miss one vital point - that is the only position he can play, deep and central!

Fotheringham may not be the answer, but he has been switched from centre to right, to left, to the holding midfielder, to the attacking midfielder during his games this season.  Has Safri had to deal with that?  No.

I think you and others make the big mistake of thinking that Fotheringham is Safri''s replacement.  I think Grant sees him as a utility player (as this is what he has been this season), and perhaps we should all wait and see who comes in before we jump to so many conclusions.

[quote user="JC"]

I do truly wonder if some of you people actually watch the games or are to busy throwing balloons around to notice the events on the pitch....

Safri is a good player, and a good passer. And he would look good at the base of a midfield diamond. 

However, you miss one vital point - that is the only position he can play, deep and central!

Fotheringham may not be the answer, but he has been switched from centre to right, to left, to the holding midfielder, to the attacking midfielder during his games this season.  Has Safri had to deal with that?  No.

I think you and others make the big mistake of thinking that Fotheringham is Safri''s replacement.  I think Grant sees him as a utility player (as this is what he has been this season), and perhaps we should all wait and see who comes in before we jump to so many conclusions.

[/quote]

Fozzy was neat and tidy in his first few games but really hasnt shown anything since.  Waghorn was pushing the Fozzy being Safri''s replacement idea, through his interviews with Grunt.  Its fair to say he is never going to be able to do this as he is not this type of player (and he is not much good either if early signs are anything to go by)

[quote user="JC"]

[/quote]

I want to echo this. Excellent post...