Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

You want some adrenalin! Stranger things have happened!

Support Colchester on Saturday! Unadulterated joy or heartbreak.

Imagine the following scenario.

Colchester 4   C. Palace 0

Preston 0   Birmingham 0

QPR 2   Stoke 1

Southampton 0   Southend 1 

This would lead to the following:

GD               GS              PTS

6.  Colchester                     20                 74               72

..................................................................................................

7.  Southampton                 20                  65               72

8.  Preston                          20                  63               72

9.  Stoke                             20                 62                72

Colchester in the playoffs because although they had the same number of points and same goal difference they scored more goals than the 3 other teams in contention over the course of a whole season. Wow!

Come on Colchester!

Stranger things have happened. And I would be very, very happy for them. Why? Mainly because they would thoroughly deserve it, but also because it ought to ([^o)] produce red faces ([:$]) amongst that shameless current shower ([W] at Carrow Road.

OTBC

P.S I wonder what odds I could get on such a scenario. [^o)]

As romantic as this sounds, I can''t see Southend pushing themselves through the pain barrier to give Colchester a play-off spot.It would be cool if they made it though.  But if they won the final and got promoted, I''m not sure if their stadium is up to Premiership standards.  Awkward moments for the FA there possibly ?

I went to the pre-season match of Colchester vs Norwich a couple of summers ago, and they made us look very poor and average even then. Still, it is good to see unexpected clubs, like Colchester (or like Wigan in Prem last year), make a big impact during their first season in a new league. Will be interesting to see how they are next year.

[quote user="ricardo"]

An unlikely scenario indeed.

Southampton look nailed on to me.

[/quote]

Unlikely, but possible.

And therein lies the romance.

Come on Colchester!

OTBC

This reminds me of the people who wanted us to lose so that Worthington got sacked.

Or maybe reminds me more of a season in the early 90''s.

May 2nd 1992 we was on a run where we had lost 7 of the last 8 scoring only twice in the process. We were beaten by the champions Leeds United and again we failed to score. This left us 18th and we finished just 3 points above relegation.

Meanwhile envious canary eyes looked to the division below where Cambridge United were drawing 2-2 at Sunderland cementing themselves in the play-offs for a place in the first ever premiership. The eyes were on a certain Dion Dublin whose goals had propelled the Amber Army up through the leagues to the brink of the Premiership. Accusing canary eyes looked towards the board and manager Dave Stringer who had let Dublin leave this club for nothing after only a handful of reserve team games.

Cambridge in the play-offs! Come on Cambridge!!!

And why were Norwich fans so happy for them? Mainly because they thoroughly deserved it but also because it ought to [^o)] have produced red faces [:$] amongst the shameless shower [W] at Carrow Road.

What happened?? Well, Cambridge drew 1-1 with Leicester in the first leg but lost the return 5-0. Alex Fergurson paid 1m to take Dion Dublin to Manchester United and Cambridge promptly fell back through the leagues.

And us?? Dave Stringer resigned and the board appointed Mike Walker, an appointment lacking in ambition according to many of the fans. We took the first ever premiership by storm and were only run out of winning it in the final few weeks of the season. We qualified for Europe. Mike Walker became a hero and Dion Dublin was forgotten about until...............................................

BBB said :- "P.S I wonder what odds I could get on such a scenario." Hmm [^o)]

Since you ask, odds on Ladbrokes work are 57,722 to 1, I have had 10p on and will buy you a drink or three if it comes up.

PS don''t hold your breath.

PPS. how do you get those little icons to print ? ? ? ?

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Support Colchester on Saturday! Unadulterated joy or heartbreak.

[/quote]

Er, no. I support Norwich City, could not care less about some team from Essex.