Sign in to follow this  
Bernard  Futter

BEING FAIR TO MATTHIEU LOUIS-JEAN AND PETER THORNE

Am I the only one disgusted by the ''money grabbing/get rid/scrounger'' terminology used to describe in particular Matthieu Lous-Jean and Peter Thorne?

Some of these descriptions may have an element of truth about them but the reality is, unless we have first hand knowledge of what actually goes on at the training pitch or in the gym, we just don''t know.

Like Justin Fashanu before who battled long and hard against an ultimately career ending knee injury, to me it is pretty unthinkable that these two individuals, with their livelihoods also in the balance, have not tried resolutely to get back to full fitness.

Players the world over whether they are on peanuts or mega-bucks want to play, but these serial injury scenarios have and will always afflict even the fittest players seemingly without rhyme or reason.

Nobody will need to point out to messers Louis-Jean and Thorne of all people that their NCFC careers have been major disappointments but instead of perhaps giving them the benefit of the doubt, it is easier for posters not in full possession of the facts to slag them off.

MLJ was very unlucky....  I wish him well.

Peter Thorne on the other hand has been injured with whatever stupid little niggle he could come up with.  When he has played he hasnt tried at all - he has been a total money grabber.  Having been paid 8000 a week for 2 years by us i''m sure he won''t be struggling too soon.  He has spent more time on his wind surfing (probably where many of his supposed injuries took place.) than giving a monkees about the football.

No you aren''t the only one Bernard, but unfortunately neither player ever had the chance to do anything good for the fans to remember before injury struck. I have noticed that the other players and both Peter Grant and Worthington have continually commented that Thorne''s attitude has been first class but that can''t alter the fact that the only memories the fans will have of him is never being fit to play. Added to that it is rumoured that he is on£8000 a week and the reaction from the fans is understandable if not right.

MLJ is a tricky one.

In terms of Peter Thorne, the guys is allegedly earning £8000 per week, had no chance of playing here later in this season and still turned down the chance of some games out on loan.

Justin Fashanu would not have been on a weekly wage remotely comparable to either player.

But there are always extremes used on here. Most of it should be taken with a pinch of salt. 

If I''d have attemped to take 2 years in sick-leave, my boss would have been rid of me after a couple of months at most.  In Thornes'' case especially, people feel that they have not received value for money, so I guess that''s where the negativity come from. Louis-Jean has just been plain unlucky, and was Forests'' best player when he arrived here.  I would imagine that the players are more annoyed about the circumstances surrounding their inability to perform for us to any level than anyone else though, but receiving 2 years of a 4 figure sum per week probably softens the blow.  I wish them both well in whatever they do next.

Thats a fair point, people do seem resentfull that these players are / were being paid so much but I am sure they didn''t choose to be injured.

I really feel sorry for MLJ...I mean yea he''s been getting paid a f*** load of money but the poor sod''s been injured (and I mean genuinelyinjured) for 2 seasons..how bad must that be??

Thorne on t''other hand is a tricky one...both managers have praised him..hes been "injured" but he''s NEVER impressed even in his bit-part performances.

To be fair to both MLJ and Thornie, they probably deperately pleaded with the Board not to be given their wages on a regular basis.... i can just hear it know.... "No boss no! I just can''t accept that obscene 8 grand a week for doing nothing through injury except sitting here on my surfboard. Please No, dont make me take it!" [;)]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]If I''d have attemped to take 2 years in sick-leave, my boss would have been rid of me after a couple of months at most.  In Thornes'' case especially, people feel that they have not received value for money, so I guess that''s where the negativity come from. Louis-Jean has just been plain unlucky, and was Forests'' best player when he arrived here.  I would imagine that the players are more annoyed about the circumstances surrounding their inability to perform for us to any level than anyone else though, but receiving 2 years of a 4 figure sum per week probably softens the blow.  I wish them both well in whatever they do next.
[/quote]

If you needed 2 years of sick leave because you had a serious problem your boss would be able to do bugger all about it.  He certainly couldn''t sack you.

However he could stick you on SSP and forget about you.  I wonder if the club has an insurance policy to cover eventualitys like MLJ''s injury?

Agree with everyone else though, Peter Thorne is a waste of space.

i stuck up for MLJ on here for almost 2 years... i feel for him.. im sure he''d of loved to of been a regular in the side... sadly injury struck and it wasnt to be.. he looked handy in his 2 games for us too...

good luck to him back home in France... if he can get his fitness up and get some games under his belt perhaps another English team will sign him...

jas :)

i agree that mlj was unucky and i feel for him.

peter thorne on the other hand was a complete waste of time and even when fit was just simply one of the worst strikers i have ever seen.

[quote]If you needed 2 years of sick leave because you had a serious problem

your boss would be able to do bugger all about it.  He certainly

couldn''t sack you.[/quote]Ooh, my back - I think I need to lie down...

so Peter Thorne earn  £8000 per week, 52  weeks for year, 104 weeks for 2 years, he cost us wages...

£832000 for wages and scored 1 goal!!!

I''ll be fair....they can finish their cups of tea before they bugger off.

More la de da tripe supporting a pair of losers.  I wonder if you would be quite so sympathetic towards your plumber if he did everything wrong/never turned up and cost you a bomb to replace?  Overpaid wasters who deserve nothing other than a boot up the backside.

They were PAID good money to play.....so save your charity for more deserving causes............

Nice to see Grant recognising those lacking the talent and desire to play for the club and offloading those that had become too comfy at Costa Del Norwich.

[quote user="Web Team - Pete"]Nice to see Grant recognising those lacking the talent and desire to play for the club and offloading those that had become too comfy at Costa Del Norwich.[/quote]

hmmmm, at least he has offloaded the obvious wasters...  No surprises in there however.

If Thorne was fit enough to wind surf he was fit enough to play footbal - the question with MLJ is was he injured when he signed for us?

I was out the other week and spoke to MLJ he came across as a top guy.

He was genuinely disappointed that he has lost 2 yrs of his career with an injury that almost finished him for good. I do think its unfair to barrack him as it really aint his fault that he got injured. His situation reminds me of John O''neill....now i know his career did finish but MLJ''s now is as gd as.

All the best MLJ oh what could have been......

[quote user="Cluck "]

More la de da tripe supporting a pair of losers.  I wonder if you would be quite so sympathetic towards your plumber if he did everything wrong/never turned up and cost you a bomb to replace?  Overpaid wasters who deserve nothing other than a boot up the backside.

They were PAID good money to play.....so save your charity for more deserving causes............

[/quote]

I have to agree !!   SURELY there should be a clause in players contracts  to  say that any  " injury "  that incapacitates a player for longer than one season   should  be reasonable grounds  to end the contract  ?     I said , way back when , that MLJ   would never   " recover "  , on the grounds that an entire year spent injured  could only mean that his playing days were over !   he took over two years  ,  sheer  madness . and a sheer waste of , much needed , money  !     and it has to be remembered ,  OUR money !   you know , the hard earned money from the wage slaves who file through the turnstiles ........  ?     IMO  both MLJ and Thorne were piss takers , and we are WELL rid of both of them !   same goes  for McVeigh  et al  ......  this club  should NOT get a reputation as a rest home  for the bone idle  !   bleeding PLAY  , or don`t stay   !

[quote user="sheded"][quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

I have to agree !!   SURELY there should be a clause in players contracts  to  say that any  " injury "  that incapacitates a player for longer than one season   should  be reasonable grounds  to end the contract  ?     I said , way back when , that MLJ   would never   " recover "  , on the grounds that an entire year spent injured  could only mean that his playing days were over !   he took over two years  ,  sheer  madness . and a sheer waste of , much needed , money  !     and it has to be remembered ,  OUR money !   you know , the hard earned money from the wage slaves who file through the turnstiles ........  ?     IMO  both MLJ and Thorne were piss takers , and we are WELL rid of both of them !   same goes  for McVeigh  et al  ......  this club  should NOT get a reputation as a rest home  for the bone idle  !   bleeding PLAY  , or don`t stay   !

[/quote]

You''re missing the point. It''s NOT THEIR FAULT.

They didn''t decide to get injured and then also, they have no power to decide whether to end their contract - it''s in the CLUB''S hands. How many of us in their position would have gone to the manager and said "Look, I haven''t had the best of times here, the injuries are getting me down and i''d like to be released from my contract for the good of the club"

No, didn''t think so!

It just shows up the inept board we have even more in that they can''t make the big decisions when it matters - they could have saved themselves a lot of money in wages had they mutually cancelled the contracts of MLJ and Thorne, which I''m sure would have been understood in both cases, but they chose not to.

You''re missing the point. It''s NOT THEIR FAULT.

They didn''t decide to get injured and then also, they have no power to decide whether to end their contract - it''s in the CLUB''S hands. How many of us in their position would have gone to the manager and said "Look, I haven''t had the best of times here, the injuries are getting me down and i''d like to be released from my contract for the good of the club"

No, didn''t think so!

It just shows up the inept board we have even more in that they can''t make the big decisions when it matters - they could have saved themselves a lot of money in wages had they mutually cancelled the contracts of MLJ and Thorne, which I''m sure would have been understood in both cases, but they chose not to.Alex_ncfc

Not their fault ?  well , I guess you can`t blame them  if they can get away with it !    IMO opinion contracts should be for no longer than a year !    the  case of MLJ  is a case in point .....   the club  IS  a business  , NOT  a bleeding convalescent home for  wasters !   same with Thorne  ,  criste , getting paid 8 grand a week for F `all  ?   this is  goddamn fairyland stuff  !  I agree that the club has to look seriously   at this  " injury " business  ,  quite a few of our ( so called ) players  are making a career out of being  " injured " !   time indeed for the board to get a grip  ..........

I would imagine the club can''t just get rid of people because they are injured - there are employment laws in this country and this would in all probability be classed as unfair dismissal!

The problem was in signing them in the first place! MLJ was a distinctly average full back for a Forest side that got relegated! Thorne was on paper an OK signing as back up to Ashton & Leon but he will go down as one of our worst signings. Just a constant series of stupid injuries (didn''t he miss a game with toothache?) and then he decided against going out on loan to a lower league team......good riddance I''m afraid.

Personally I think Peter Thorne was the biggest disgrace to ever grace Carrow Road. The very fact he pulled out of a reserve game because of a mouth abcess, and pulled out of a game over the Christmas period with a ''bad back'' were the final straws for me. He had no interest what so ever for even remotely trying to perform. And in a way I am a bit annoyed that Grant came out and said nice things about him after releasing him. I would''ve said the truth: "he''s utterly useless, if you sign him up, you need your head examining." And then maybe it''d send a message to the rest of the squad to pull their weight next season or else their career might go down the swanny like Thorne''s has.

As for MLJ, okay, he got a bad hamstring injury. But I do struggle to understand how a hamstring injury keeps you out for a whole season and prevents you playing the next as well. I''ve done my hamstring before, it hurts like hell yeah, I even rushed back to play a big game before it was properly healed, and playing that game was incredibly painful when I had to sprint, but those injuries heal after 4 - 6 weeks rest. I simply cannot believe he was ''that'' injured that he missed two seasons. Maybe I''m wrong, but I think he pulled a bit of a fast one myself. It doesn''t matter anyway, his career looks over at any meaningful level.