Sign in to follow this  
FUEL ROX

a fair read

[quote user="FUEL ROX"]

http://www.rickwaghorn.co.uk/full_article.asp?i=1270&w=0&a=0&part=1

testiment to being cautious as a board, in my opinion the board at present are not doing as bad as some think

[/quote]

Yeah Roxy, a very fair read indeed.

Some posters would be very happy if we took a similar chance and it would be very nice if it all worked out. Unfortunately the Leeds example shows what might happen should it all go tits up.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="FUEL ROX"]

testiment to being cautious as a board, in my opinion the board at present are not doing as bad as some think

[/quote]

Some posters would be very happy if we took a similar chance and it would be very nice if it all worked out. Unfortunately the Leeds example shows what might happen should it all go tits up.

[/quote]

It''s an interesting article for sure. And yes, I would rather have our prudence than the excessive recklesness of other clubs. But I can''t help feeling that there is a balance somewhere inbetween.

I am all for not spending what you don''t have, it''s a common sense business approach that seems to be missing from quite a few clubs, and I am grateful that we have a financially sensible board.  However, I''d like to see the club actively seeking some form of investment from British / local silent partners over the close season, to give us a chance of at least competing in the top 10 of this league.  In my opinion a silent partner wouldn''t neccesarily have to be a fan of the club, just somebody willing to take a gamble within reasonable parameters - the difference between Championship and Premiership income means that club would be able to offer a good dividend on getting promoted to such an investor or investors.   The board asked the fans to buy shares last time, if they were to actively seek investment from within this country, it would probably protect the club from foreign takeovers of the type that Paul Allen is considering for Southampton.  After all a championship club with a large fan-base is cheaper to buy than a Premiership club with a small fan-base, and would grow more revenue with a reasonable investment in playing staff to get the "sleeping giant" back to the Premiership. In my opinion, the longer we underperform in this league, the more attractive we appear to potential hostile takeover bids.

I admire Delia''s principles and understand her not wanting to sell the club to anyone from abroad.  However - I believe that the way the game is going, it is the clubs that attract the most inward investment that will have the most success in the long term, and if you rule out abroad, you will have to look closer to home.  Arsenal sold the name of their ground for tens of  millions to Air Emirates.  Did they sell out, or make a shrewd commercial decision for the future of their club ?  Could we reward investors with non-executive board positions ?

I used to argue with people that said our squad is too small, however it seems to be no coincidence that Burnley are languishing in mid-table with a squad of similar size, although they were flirting with the play-off places earlier in the season.  It also seems to be no coincidence that the top 3 clubs turned over a lot more money and players than we did over the course of the season.  How many times in the last 2 seasons has the Pinkun run an "Injury Crisis" article ?  Peter Grant and the board will have to be very clever to make a full squad out of what they have available, and to keep that squad competitive over 46 matches, although reading through Roger Munbys'' winks and nudges, it could be that there is money left to spend from the parachute payments.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="FUEL ROX"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It''s an interesting article for sure. And yes, I would rather have our prudence than the excessive recklesness of other clubs. But I can''t help feeling that there is a balance somewhere inbetween.

[/quote]

yeah but wouldnt you rather be like us than like leeds. its hard for any club to dish out a load of money when nothing is garanteed (am sure thats spelt wrong).

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

I am all for not spending what you don''t have, it''s a common sense business approach that seems to be missing from quite a few clubs, and I am grateful that we have a financially sensible board.  However, I''d like to see the club actively seeking some form of investment from British / local silent partners over the close season, to give us a chance of at least competing in the top 10 of this league.  In my opinion a silent partner wouldn''t neccesarily have to be a fan of the club, just somebody willing to take a gamble within reasonable parameters - the difference between Championship and Premiership income means that club would be able to offer a good dividend on getting promoted to such an investor or investors.   The board asked the fans to buy shares last time, if they were to actively seek investment from within this country, it would probably protect the club from foreign takeovers of the type that Paul Allen is considering for Southampton.  After all a championship club with a large fan-base is cheaper to buy than a Premiership club with a small fan-base, and would grow more revenue with a reasonable investment in playing staff to get the "sleeping giant" back to the Premiership. In my opinion, the longer we underperform in this league, the more attractive we appear to potential hostile takeover bids.

I admire Delia''s principles and understand her not wanting to sell the club to anyone from abroad.  However - I believe that the way the game is going, it is the clubs that attract the most inward investment that will have the most success in the long term, and if you rule out abroad, you will have to look closer to home.  Arsenal sold the name of their ground for tens of  millions to Air Emirates.  Did they sell out, or make a shrewd commercial decision for the future of their club ?  Could we reward investors with non-executive board positions ?

I used to argue with people that said our squad is too small, however it seems to be no coincidence that Burnley are languishing in mid-table with a squad of similar size, although they were flirting with the play-off places earlier in the season.  It also seems to be no coincidence that the top 3 clubs turned over a lot more money and players than we did over the course of the season.  How many times in the last 2 seasons has the Pinkun run an "Injury Crisis" article ?  Peter Grant and the board will have to be very clever to make a full squad out of what they have available, and to keep that squad competitive over 46 matches, although reading through Roger Munbys'' winks and nudges, it could be that there is money left to spend from the parachute payments.

[/quote]

Total bilge.  We haven''t got it now...but we have had it a plenty in recent times but simply allowed it to trickle through our fingers.

Apologist nonsense from the handful of hooded denialists who still think that lalaland exists. £20 million in debt and the highlighted passage simply reads like a Tony Blair escape method.  With a tiny income now lying ahead...how on earth are this shower of amateurs going to balance the books?

Yes, both bbb and waghorn have got it quite right.  It is also pleasing to see that alot of plans proposed on here involve getting the money up front.I feel however that getting continuous income from other buisness streams is a very good idea.  Investment is basically one off income, all be it large and for a specific purpose.

Oh i see now. So a club which spends more than £6million and 36% of turnover on new players and wages in two seasons when they have raked in £16million in tv income and £14million in player sales is inevitably "doing a Leeds" is it? And there was me thinking it was reasonable to expect a decent percentage of this "bonus" income to be spent on creating a squad which has a realistic chance of a Promotion which would lead to another 3 years of multi-millions. Utterly, utterly ridiculous.

[quote user="Cluck "][quote user="blahblahblah"]

[/quote]

Total bilge.  We haven''t got it now...but we have had it a plenty in recent times but simply allowed it to trickle through our fingers.

Apologist nonsense from the handful of hooded denialists who still think that lalaland exists. £20 million in debt and the highlighted passage simply reads like a Tony Blair escape method.  With a tiny income now lying ahead...how on earth are this shower of amateurs going to balance the books?

[/quote]

And how exactly was it "allowed to trickle through our fingers?"

Worthy signed a load of duff players, Thorne, Jarrett, Louis-Jean, Robinson et al, that''s how.

And you can throw in many loan players like Boyle, Lisbie, Davenport, Wright and Rehman to name but five, all of whom would have cost money to bring here and added little to the Club.

Whilst we would all agree with not spending what you don''t have there is a happy medium to be had.

Unfortunately, we seem to have completely missed the boat over the last 2/3 years with a collection of inept signings, money wasted on either crap loan signings or players who were never likely to sign fulltime and a criminal failure to change the manager when it was obvious that is time was up. The big question is who is to blame for this - it seems to me that blame lies with everyone involved in the running and management of the club. Yes, Worthy made some poor signings but was this because he wasn''t given the money by the board?

7/8 years ago we were getting gates of 15,000 and had no Sky money and were able to spend big money on the likes of Iwan, Fleming, Rivers, Libbra, Mulryne & Drury. Why after 3 years of Sky money and gates of 24,000 are we scrabbling around the bargain basements looking for uncut diamonds? Why over the last 2 summers have we spent next to nothing on new players? Yes, I know we have signed Ashton & Earnie in that time but Earnie''s fee came out of the Ashton money.

We are now in the situation of hoping that our untried manager can work miracles in the transfer window and that Hux can keep producing the goods week after week.

Quite simply this is disgraceful and we as loyal supporters deserve better than our club being essentially a one man team!!

[quote user="cludger"]Apologist nonsense from the handful of hooded denialists who still think that lalaland exists[/quote]

Lala land.  Is this the lala land that requires other sources of income to come from places other than football ?  The land where Chelsea Football Club floated on the stock exchange as Chelsea Village, as their club accepts the need for restaurants hotels and shops as part of the overall package ?  The land where the only people preventing our club falling into foreign hands are the board that you sneer at ?  Our board have to operate in a landscape created by Murdoch, Abramovic, Learner, and Paul Allen.  If you refuse to accept that then your problem is not with Delia, but with the 21st century.

In cluck-speak : Your reply is reactionary twaddle from a Canute-like buffoon who refuses to accept the existence of anything later than the end of Woodstock, and further than the end of his arrogant reflection.

[quote]How will they balance the books [/quote]

If you''d care to read my post again, you will see that I have made several suggestions for creating revenue.  I assume that the board have been hoarding some nuts for the winter ahead too.  It will be an intersting summer, I hope that the board and manager pulls some rabbits out of hats.

[quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

I am going to have to agree with Cluck here and £3m profit from two seasons ago adds weight to this. Having made £3m profit we sold Helveg(£135k), Jonson (£700k), Francis (£1.5m) and Svensson (£50k). We then signed Louis Jean (Swap), Jarrett (Free), Thorne (Free), Hughes (£500K), Colin (£263k) and then later Etuhu (£450k). Now I appreciate that signing on fees will have bumped up the prices of these players etc etc but what I can''t work out is how we got to a situation in the January where after a £3m profit and after receiving more in transfer fees than we spent, Delia had to "lend" the club the £50k to buy Robinson and to pay his wages. Someone was not being prudent there!!!

What a lovely fair read........"Aaaah luvverly."

"And, they all lived happily together, forever an'' ever, at ickle Championship Cottage Carra - that can only be ever reached, by that long and winding road to perdition"........The End.