Sign in to follow this  
barclay4ever

dont giv fotheringham a contract PLEASE

why has this man been offered a contract, hes appauling. wastes every set piece we have. i understand if safri is going to leave, ok hes been one of our best players in the last 5 years but hes proberly past his best but i cant stand for him leaving if fotheringham will be starting in his shirt. sack fotheringham and get spillane in in his place. spillance can pass and tackle as well as most players and with the right development and guidence could be the next safri.

Come on now, can''t you see Fotheringham needs our help, not criticism. He clearly is working so hard during games that he begins hallucinating. This clearly explains why he is aiming all his corners and free-kicks at the 8ft striker at the back of the penalty area.

We need squad players in a perfect world we would have 20 darren huckerbys he needs some time to settlehe is skillfull just needs fitness give the lad a chance

[quote user="sdldjl05"]We need squad players in a perfect world we would have 20 darren huckerbys he needs some time to settlehe is skillfull just needs fitness give the lad a chance[/quote]

how long is it going to take for this man to be"fit", people hav been saying that since he arrived. if he cant get fit in 4 months then thats not good enough

They guy needs time to get to grips with the pace of the game here. It has been well publicised that prior to his move he had lacked games and had previously been playing abroad.

He has shown he has a good first touch but he needs more time to adjust to things - and certainly more run outs than the one or two first team games he has had and the occaisional reserve team fixture.

What nobody seems to have mentioned yet is that Fozzy is STILL a better player than Carl Robinson who, for me at least, is simply the worst player to be seen in a City shirt in recent years.

He was also the best player on the pitch in the first half of the derby. Yeah - he faded badly in the second half, but it proves he has the skill if not the sharpness. He is also free and probably on low wages - I can''t imagine he was in a position to demand much!

[quote user="barclay4ever"]why has this man been offered a contract, hes appauling. wastes every set piece we have. i understand if safri is going to leave, ok hes been one of our best players in the last 5 years but hes proberly past his best but i cant stand for him leaving if fotheringham will be starting in his shirt. sack fotheringham and get spillane in in his place. spillance can pass and tackle as well as most players and with the right development and guidence could be the next safri.[/quote]

He''ll get a new contract because he meets the new NCFC business plan. He comes cheap and cost nothing in the first place. 

[quote user="Bigmarkcanary"]What nobody seems to have mentioned yet is that Fozzy is STILL a better player than Carl Robinson who, for me at least, is simply the worst player to be seen in a City shirt in recent years.[/quote]

a 1 legged drunk with no eyes would be better than Carl robinson ever was

jas :)

There is no way that Mark Fotheringham is a better player than Carl Robinson.  Do you think Fotheringham would get in the Wales team or gain 40 international caps?  He wouldn''t even get in the squad.  As for the comment about CR being the worst player in a City shirt, that''s ridiculous.  Robinson is also a much better player than Hughes to start with.  Anyone to have played the game at a good level would be able to see that.Fotheringham is struggling but he has not been helped by being asked to play in a holding role alongside Etuhu.  He does not have the attributes to play that role.  It was a very poor substituion for him to replace Spillane in that role during the Derby game and for him to continue in that role against Southampton.  He would be useful if he could get his foot on the ball and was given a bit more freedom but I personally can''t see how he is going to play in that position while Etuhu is at the club.

[quote user="Grumpy "]

[quote user="barclay4ever"]why has this man been offered a contract, hes appauling. wastes every set piece we have. i understand if safri is going to leave, ok hes been one of our best players in the last 5 years but hes proberly past his best but i cant stand for him leaving if fotheringham will be starting in his shirt. sack fotheringham and get spillane in in his place. spillance can pass and tackle as well as most players and with the right development and guidence could be the next safri.[/quote]

He''ll get a new contract because he meets the new NCFC business plan. He comes cheap and cost nothing in the first place. 

[/quote]And what''s wrong with that? I don''t think Fozzy was worth the contract on his performances so far (he''s been garbage IMO!), but I understand he''s only been given one more year, on low wages. The worst-case scenario is that he doesn''t improve, gets dropped from the first team and leaves next summer having cost us very little. The best case is that he trains hard over the summer, picks up his form and ends up being an important part of the squad. Can''t see it happening personally, but I''d rather Grant tried to pick up bargains than wasted a load of budget on a highly paid underachiever. Remember those people who were saying "Who the hell is Simon Lappin, he only cost £75k so he must be rubbish"? I don''t hear too many people complaining now they''ve seen him play!

[quote user="viennacanary"]There is no way that Mark Fotheringham is a better player than Carl Robinson.  Do you think Fotheringham would get in the Wales team or gain 40 international caps? 

[/quote]

no condisering he is Scottish!

and Robisnon was awful! at Least Hughes Runs around and shows some heart.. Robinson barely moved, went missing in games, passed it backwards, never tackled, never shot, never went up for a header... he used us to get "fit" before waddling off to america and being Lazy there.

Okay so would he get 40 international caps for Scotland?  Or even get in the Scottish squad?  The answer is no.  And when you consider that Wales have been a better team than Scotland over the last 8 or 9 years (maybe not today), but certainly in the recent past, I think that backs up my point.  What better evidence than when the great man Earnie banged a hatrick against them and Wales destroyed them in Cardiff.Anyway, I do not think that Fotheringham is necessarily a poor player.  I was just emphasising that he can''t play in a holding role, and Robinson could clearly play that role a lot more effectively.However, the point about Hughes running around is just ridiculous.  The fact that he has basically been abandoned from any midfield role while an 18 year old Centre back takes his place in the most important game of the season just about sums up his ability.I''m afraid that when anyone talks about ''passing it backwards'' or even ''passing it sideways'' it displays a lack of understanding of how the game is played.  I do not mean that in a personal way and of course, you are more than entitled to your opinion, but if you asked any player who has played the game who was a better player out of Hughes or Robinson, it would be Robinson without doubt.

[quote user="viennacanary"]

I''m afraid that when anyone talks about ''passing it backwards'' or even ''passing it sideways'' it displays a lack of understanding of how the game is played.  I do not mean that in a personal way and of course, you are more than entitled to your opinion, but if you asked any player who has played the game who was a better player out of Hughes or Robinson, it would be Robinson without doubt.

[/quote]

I know what point you''re trying to make about ''passing it backwards'' or ''passing it sideways'' displaying a lack of understanding but.. I''d have to say that sometimes players don''t know what to do with the ball when they get it and that''s when it''s safer to try and pass back to the keeper than actually do something with the ball. In some cases it is, of course, sensible to keep the ball. But in other cases it does mean that the player doesn''t have a clue where to go with the ball.

When it comes to Carl Robinson I agree a lot with you, I don''t think he''s the worst player City have had. He''s had a career in professional football, he''s not been to the very top but he has played for his country which is something. He''s a player who plays within his limits.

Andy Hughes is a different type of player, he''s got a bit of an engine on him and he''s very enthusiastic. He''s prone to some erratic passing whereas Robinson keeps things simple, wins the ball and plays it nice and simple. However, Robbo doesn''t have that omph or that drive that Hughes does.

Basically if Norwich were to be near the top of this league you''d expect players like Robbo, Fozzie and Hughes to be backup players.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="viennacanary"]There is no way that Mark Fotheringham is a better player than Carl Robinson.  Do you think Fotheringham would get in the Wales team or gain 40 international caps? 

[/quote]

no condisering he is Scottish!

and Robisnon was awful! at Least Hughes Runs around and shows some heart.. Robinson barely moved, went missing in games, passed it backwards, never tackled, never shot, never went up for a header... he used us to get "fit" before waddling off to america and being Lazy there.

[/quote]

viennacanary - Yes Fozzie probably could, and after he''s properly settled and had a good run in the team I reckon that I shall be proved right in my opinion that he IS better than Robinson. 

jas - You''re being a bit harsh on Robinson there, he did actually shoot AND score when we thrashed Barnsley 5-1 at Carrow Road early in the season. Then again, how many other players have done that in this League to them LOL [:D].

I have to say that I think Robinson was a highly underated player, certainly nowhere near as bad as some people thought.  You can''t play 45 games for Wales if you''re not a very good footballer.

Also, just because somebody doesn''t spend half the time clapping the crowd and clenching his fists, doesn''t mean that he is lazy or disinterested.  Every player has their own style.

[quote user="viennacanary"]There is no way that Mark Fotheringham is a better player than Carl Robinson.  Do you think Fotheringham would get in the Wales team or gain 40 international caps?  He wouldn''t even get in the squad.  As for the comment about CR being the worst player in a City shirt, that''s ridiculous.  Robinson is also a much better player than Hughes to start with.  Anyone to have played the game at a good level would be able to see that.

Fotheringham is struggling but he has not been helped by being asked to play in a holding role alongside Etuhu.  He does not have the attributes to play that role.  It was a very poor substituion for him to replace Spillane in that role during the Derby game and for him to continue in that role against Southampton.  He would be useful if he could get his foot on the ball and was given a bit more freedom but I personally can''t see how he is going to play in that position while Etuhu is at the club.

[/quote]

do you not realise what you are saying. he has 40 caps for wales man. wales!!! when were they last in the world cup or european cup????

As I said in my post, they may not be an especially good side today but they were certainly a pretty decent side about 2 or 3 years ago.  Giggs, Bellamy, Speed, Savage, Hartson, Delaney, Koumas etc etc - a team of good premiership players.  Earnie was not always starting for them then.  The fact that he gained so many caps alongside those kind of players means that he is a much better player than he is generally regarded amongst some Norwich fans.  There are also a lot of good championship players that he gets in the team and starts ahead of, e.g. Fletcher, Parry etc as well.

Anyway enough said.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  The original post was about Fozzie, and as I did say - I do not think he is necessarily a poor player.  I think he''s got some potential to work with and if we can get him out of that holding role, I think we''ll see that he can play a bit.  Let''s hope so.

OTBC.