Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Do We Really WANT City To Get Promoted?....

Because as daft as it sounds, I''m no longer sure!.

I have lost faith with footy of late, not City, but footy, thanks to the blatent ''rule for one'' mess going on in the Premier league with West Ham.

You all know the facts (I see HE scored twice again yesterday!) and I''m not going go into the whole story again.

I''m not sure I want to see City up against that kind of system if they went up. As sure as hell, if City had behaved like West Ham, we would have been deducted 10 points for certain.

So maybe remaining in the Chumps wouln''t be too bad after all, or is that the wrong kind of attitude to take over this awful and one-sided league they call the Premiership?.

We would still have the two cups for excitement, yes?.

Please convince me I''m wrong.

Seaside, the Championship is so competitive now that standing still is not an option.  We have to aspire to a top six finish.  Anything less and we''ll soon disappear out of the division at the other end.  Realistically we''re going to find it very difficult to get promoted again and even more difficult to stay up for more than a season.  But once we stop trying we might as well pack up. 

Competition is the essence of football.  I wouldn''t pay to support a club that is not competing to its utmost, from the boardroom down.  That''s why I didn''t renew my season ticket last season.  

I would like to see promotion and premiership football?!?!?  but maybe its just me  [:S]

It certainly isn''t the view of our Loser Board.  We patently need fresh blood at boardroom level.  Can we get it is the big question, obviously foreign money has been ruled out by the current unambitious fools - backwards norfolk types that we are....

Even Liverpool has relented to the global market that we now live in.

Unfortunatly those in charge at carrow road do not have the funds to take us any further, or the slightest incling of ambition.  Munmby''s statement has made this unquestionably clear.  Had I heard his statement before renewing I would have seriously considered not bothering such is my disgust at his attitude.

You better beleive it now, we are going nowhere.  And it pains me so much to say it.   [N]

[quote user="Seaside Canary"]

I have lost faith with footy of late, not City, but footy, thanks to the blatent ''rule for one'' mess going on in the Premier league with West Ham.

You all know the facts (I see HE scored twice again yesterday!) and I''m not going go into the whole story again.

I''m not sure I want to see City up against that kind of system if they went up. As sure as hell, if City had behaved like West Ham, we would have been deducted 10 points for certain.

So maybe remaining in the Chumps wouln''t be too bad after all, or is that the wrong kind of attitude to take over this awful and one-sided league they call the Premiership?.

[/quote]

I agree with your sentiments. Would the league have dealt with, for example, Wigan or Sheffield if they had been in the same position as West ham?. I very much doubt if. In fact ,I would go as far as to say the Knobs running the Premiership would prefer to see Wigan relegated.

[quote user="Grumpy "][quote user="Seaside Canary"]

[/quote]

I agree with your sentiments. Would the league have dealt with, for example, Wigan or Sheffield if they had been in the same position as West ham?. I very much doubt if. In fact ,I would go as far as to say the Knobs running the Premiership would prefer to see Wigan relegated.

[/quote]

West Sham are the darlings of the Premiership as far as the FA & the media are concerned. In a Kevin Keegan style, "I''d love it if West ham are relegated"!!!

i''m not defending west ham but how can the league condone man utd loaning 2 keepers to other premier clubs (howard at everton, foster at watford) - so that''s 4 matches and a fa cup semi-final against inexperienced 2nd choice keepers  - and then insisting they cannot face them. man utd virtually clinched the title last weekend against everton''s reserve keeper. Who''s ''owning'' the players then?

The Premiership has been an absolute disaster for real football fans. Unless you follow the top 4 what is the point. I am City through and through but can''t imagine us competing in the Premiership whatever happens. In the early ninties Jimmy Armfield stated we were one of the top six teams in the country it now seems a million years ago. I went to Shrewsbury against Accrington the other week and I got far more enjoyment than watching the Premiership with all the hype and bulsh*t from the media we are subjected to. If something is not done to re-introduce compitition then football will die or it will become like wathing Gladiators or the Harlem Globetrotters: purile nonsence.

Who dares wins , you know that makes sense Shrop , next year at this time we could be millionaire''s [:D]

Of course we want Norwich to get promoted. We''re a bigger club than a lot of teams currently in the Premiership, such as Blackburn, Wigan, Fulham, Reading, Portsmouth, Bolton and Charlton, despite what our board want us to think. Our board are trying to manipulate our expectations by saying things like "we''re a small club", so when we fail, it''s okay, and that we shouldn''t expect success, as we''re just a ''little club'', when in reality, we''re bigger than a lot of teams competing for the UEFA cup spaces in the Premiership at the moment.

We could in theory build a team capable of mounting a challenge for the UEFA Cup in the future, which ultimately has to be our aim, alongside taking the FA and League Cups seriously. Just because Man Utd and Arsenal play their reserves in the League Cup doesn''t mean we should. We should treat it as a real priority - as it''s something we could win. As for the top 4 places in the Permiership, I can''t see us ever breaking into the top 4 again, barring the unlikely event of  half a dozen outstanding youngsters emerging from our youth team at the same time, and then having a season free of injury or loss of form for our top 12 or so players.

Some of you more astute posters may have spotted that my new ''experiment'' posted this thread ...........sorry about that!.

But the issue still remains valid.

You all make good arguements for your case, but I''m  afraid it still leaves a nasty taste in my mouth. This sort of double standards will kill football, its affected me for sure. And now Leeeds arre doing legal but bloody devious deals too!.

I still don''t know, somehow things have changed, and I would hate City to be victims of something like this is in the future.

Wiz, I understand where you are coming from. Add to this the lack of competition (only the top 4 have a chance of winning anything), the sterile atmosphere in so many grounds, the gate prices forcing out the average fan, the egos, the lower attendances... the list goes on. There is a strong case for ignoring the Premiership.

BUT mystic knocks the nail on the head, the Championship is getting more competitive and you have to move forward to stand still. And getting promoted then relegated is more exciting than finishing 16th in this league!

One thing nobody has mentioned is the thought of some "investor" looking at us (as Southampton is being eyed up right now) as having potential but actually only interested in TV money, merchandising and asset stripping. Would we want to be owned by a US hedge Fund or one of these so-called benefactors? More likely if we get promoted. But since that appears a long way off I think we have little to fear on that front.

I do recall fondly the years in the top flight when we knew we wouldn''t win the title but we all trooped to stand in the Barclay and howl derision at every slip by one of the stars of the day, watching our boys take on the might of English football. We got the odd stuffing, but we were proud of staying in the division and at our place we were a match for anyone. Sadly those days will never come again- the Prem isn''t as exotic now because we can see the "stars" anytime we want to on TV and they''re not the novelty they once were. But I doubt anyone there will ever forget Deano and Leon''s strikes against Man Utd a couple of years back.

Now, let me think do I aspire for our club to be where Reading are now or where Stoke are and have been for much of their recent history. I know what I would prefer Wiz, notwithstanding the "issues" associated with it.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

I still don''t know, somehow things have changed, and I would hate City to be victims of something like this is in the future.

[/quote]

I agree Wiz, something has changed, we are of the older generation and what we recognize as the norm is the football scenario that we were weaned on twenty/thirty years ago.

In those days any team in any league could aspire to achieve success, they were funded by the attendances of their supporters.

Nowadays the top teams are just rich mens'' toys , funded by non football related millions,who get the "rub of the green" in any contentious issues both on and off the field,  the first four league places are cut and dried after only a half a dozen matches,  the relegated clubs from that league are this year stuffed full of million quid transfer budgets that will immediately put clubs such as us on the back foot when it comes to buying the necessary players to achieve success . The Championship will become an inferior clone of the Premiership.

This all leaves me to believe that with our financial position and management quality  we are unlikely to achieve any rewardable merit in this league let alone the Premiership. Therefore your worries about us becoming "victims of something like this is in the future" will not happen because we unlikely to be in that situation.