Sign in to follow this  
Citizen Journalist Foghorn

Roger Munmby details future plans!

Roger Munby detailed our spending plans for next season!

“I''d say to the fans, stick with it, of course - but watch this space,” he said. “I believe the football club may have some pleasant surprises in time to come. What I mean by that is a higher standing in the Championship.

“I won''t put a time dimension on that, it would be stupid too, but watch our space and stay with it. Together we can go places.”

“In anybody''s book, in the Football League, thee Championship, Leagues One and Two, money doesn''t necessarily buy success. It does in the Premier League, with the correlation between the biggest spenders and coming top or second is a perfect one. It is not the case in this league."

“What counts in this league is to be cleverer and I think we can be cleverer. We have the management talent, we also have the administrative talent with to be cleverer than most."

Administrative talent??  Management talent??   what load of old twaddle is this??  We have an unproven manager whom has not improved us at all during his time here.  The five players released were obvious to everybody.   Signings have either been average - Lappin, chadwick - or poor so far.

Mumbles continued: "So while frustrating and disappointing might be the simple observation when you look at the league table, there is a lot more promise and there are some real differences now compared to last season and, with that in mind, I can''t wait for next, stressed out as we are.” [:S]

all he does is waffle in that article.. there is no clear statement of intent, no saying they will back grant.

no saying that we have to get into the premiership.. just "pleasent suprises" a "pleasent suprise" could be comfy armchairs in the barclay, it could be a new player for the club, it could be a video score board, it could be a streak by Natasha Bedingfield (heres hoping!).. its anyones guess

so we have to be cleverer... im sure Jeremy Paxman will enjoy having PG, Doomcaster, Delia and Drury on University challenge next year... being "clever" wont get us into the premier league.. how will we gazump other teams? what does he men by "cleverer"?

he says about "not buying success" which to me says ''we have got no money so we should all shut up and get on with it as Grant wont be backed''

jas :)

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

"I believe the football club may have some pleasant surprises in time to come. What I mean by that is a higher standing in the Championship."

[/quote]

Sums up our board much better than the combined talents of Cludger, Smuck and even Mello Yello could possibly manage.  A work of genius.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

....What I mean by that is a higher standing in the Championship....

[/quote]

Well, that''s his sights firmly set then!

[quote user="bunny"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

....What I mean by that is a higher standing in the Championship....

[/quote]

Well, that''s his sights firmly set then!

[/quote]

If we were looking for a statement of ambition from the Board, then that is certainly it... [8-)]

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]We have an unproven manager whom has not improved us at all during his time here.  The five players released were obvious to everybody.   Signings have either been average - Lappin, chadwick - or poor so far.[/quote]I think there has been a slight improvement under Grant. I''d say Lappin has been better than average - he looks an accomplished player at this level already, for a pittance of a transfer fee. Chadwick is another good signing at a good price - he''s only played a couple of hours of football for us so to dismiss him as ''average'' seems a little presumptuous. Grant has also been unlucky with the goalkeeper situation - Worthy was happy to persevere with Gallagher, whereas Grant instantly recognised his lack of command and presence as a key area in need of improvement. If we could have signed Camp permanently, or if Marshall hadn''t got injured, we might have been more solid at the back. Warner also looks a decent experienced keeper. I wasn''t too excited about Chris Brown when he signed, but he''s shown glimpses of being a useful player, neat touch on the ball and a bit of aerial presence - he should prove a good squad player. In fact, the only poor signing has been Fozzy, and he didn''t cost us a penny! I think Grant has also shown a better attitude towards young players - either letting them out on loan, or playing them in the first team. When you consider we''ve been without Earnshaw for the majority of Grant''s time as manager, I think there''s enough reason to be optimistic that next season we can be in the top half, maybe pushing for a playoff place. Worthy didn''t get us promoted overnight, it took him a couple of years to mould a squad in his fashion.As for the statement from Munby, though, it''s just more airy waffle. He''s right that money isn''t the be all and end all, Preston and Watford are indeed good examples for this - but it''s basically just nebulous fluff that''s trying to put a scarcely visible positive on the fact that we''ve now p***ed several million pounds of parachute payments up the wall. I don''t think many people are going to appreciate his choice of words.

“I think also we have the benefit of stability and consistency. That starts with Delia and Michael, runs through the rest of the board, and includes me - this board has been together 10 years.

“Those are the components: I think clarity, confidence, feeling that you are permanently upwardly mobile and taking every step possible to be cleverer and understand the nature of the budget, being in control of things, is the way forward. All of those ingredients I am confident are in place.

“It is management, it is grip, it is certainty, it is confidence, and amongst many things that struck me this season which translates into the future is the amazing support that fans, this community of fans, have given the club, as if to say, ''we are with you, this is a participative venture, and providing you put in, you the club put in all the effort and commitment you should, we are with you''.

What on earth is he talking about here??  Utter Tripe from an unambitious loser.

Roger Munby - Money doesn''t neccesarily buy success in the Championship.Maybe not in 2005 / 06, but did it this season ?  Here''s a comparison between our spending and that of the top 3 in this seasons Championship for May - August of last year, and January of this year. The conclusion I''m drawing from this is that if you can get into the big clubs and get their youngsters on season-long loans, you might have a chance of being successful without spending money.  Birmingham had some big names to sell, and appear to have made a profit on their deals, but have also brought in some fairly big names on undisclosed deals, so it''s impossible to say.  Derby and Sunderland seem to have spent significantly more than they made, all 3 teams brought in top quality young players from Arsenal and Man Utd.Now, I realise that these numbers are not the be all and end all of transfer expenditure, but the teams that have done well have had a much higher turnover of players than us, because they have larger squads.  If there is a table of transfer spending profit / loss for the teams in the championship, I''d like to see it.  I''d be willing to bet that we''d be mid-table.  Funny that, considering our league position. [:|]Source :Wikipedia - English Football Transfers 2006 / 2007 NorwichMatthew Halliday [Norwich - Torquay] LoanRossi Jarvis [Norwich - Torquay] LoanDavid Marshall [Celtic - Norwich] LoanChris Brown [Sunderland - Norwich] £325,000Ian Henderson [Norwich - Rotherham] LoanLuke Chadwick [Stoke - Norwich] £200,000Simon Lappin [St Mirren - Norwich] £100,000Lee Croft [Man City - Norwich] 600,0001.225m spent, 4 loansLeon McKenzie [Norwich to Coventry] £1m Robert Green [Norwich - West Ham] £2mSimon Charlton [Norwich - Oldham] FreeDarren Ward [Norwich - Sunderland] FreeCraig Fleming [Norwich - Rotherham] Free3m received, 2 FreesBirminghamArtur Krysiak [UKS SMS Lodz Academy - Birmingham] UndisclosedGary McSheffrey [Coventry - Birmingham] £4mNicklas Bendtner [Arsenal - Birmingham] LoanRadhi Jaidi [Bolton - Birmingham] £2mSebastian Larsson [Arsenal - Birmingham City] £1mGary Dicker [University College Dublin - Birmingham] LoanPat Kavanagh [unattached - Birmingham]Rowan Vine [Luton - Birmingham] UndisclosedSteven Kelly [Tottenham - Birmingham] 750kCameron Jerome [Cardiff - Birmingham] 3m10.75 m pounds spent, + 2 Undisclosed, 2 Loans, 1 Free.Mario Melchiot [Birmingham - Rennes] FreeJamie Clapham [Birmingham - Wolves] UndisclosedMarcos Painter [Birmingham - Swansea] £25,000Matthew Upson [Birmingham - West Ham] £6mDavid Dunn [Birmingham - Blackburn] UndisclosedAdam Legzdins [Birmingham - Macclesfield] LoanJermaine Pennant [Birmingham - Liverpool] 6.7 mKenny Cunningham [Birmingham - Sunderland] FreeEmile Heskey [Birmingham - Wigan] 5.5 mStan Lazaridis [Birmingham - Perth Glory] Free18,225,000 made, 2 undisclosed, 1 loan, 3 FreeSunderlandDavid Connolly [Wigan - Sunderland] £1.4mKenny Cunningham [Sunderland - Birmingham] FreeGraham Kavanagh [Wigan - Sunderland] £500,000Liam Miller [Manchester United - Sunderland] Free Stanislav Varga [Celtic - Sunderland] UndisclosedRoss Wallace [Celtic - Sunderland] UndisclosedDwight Yorke [Sydney FC - Sunderland] £200,000Tobias Hysen [Djurgarden - Sunderland] £1.7mAnthony Stokes [Arsenal - Sunderland] £2mJonny Evans [Man Utd - Sunderland] LoanCarlos Edwards [Luton - Sunderland] £1.5mStern John [Coventry - Sunderland] UndisclosedDanny Simpson [Manchester United - Sunderland] LoanJon Stead [Sunderland - Sheff Utd] £750,000Clive Clarke [West Ham - Sunderland] SwapTobias Huygens [Djurgardens - Sunderland] 1.7 m9,750,000 spentGary Breen [Sunderland - Wolves] FreeAndy Gray [Sunderland - Burnley] 750,000Chris Brown [Sunderland - Norwich] £325,000Steven Caldwell [Sunderland - Burnley] £400,000Ben Alnwick [Sunderland - Tottenham] £900,000Neill Collins [Sunderland - Wolves] £150,000Kevin Kyle [Sunderland - Coventry] UndisclosedDan Smith [Sunderland - Aberdeen] FreeJon Stead [Sunderland - Sheff Utd] £750,000Rory Delap [Sunderland - Stoke] FreeKelvin Davies [Sunderland - Southampton] 1 mJulio Arca [Sunderland - Middlesborough] 1.75 mGeorge McCartney [Sunderland - West Ham] 600,0006,650,000 receivedDerbyRyan Smith [Arsenal - Derby] UndisclosedArturo Lupoli [Arsenal - Derby] LoanMo Camara [Celtic - Derby] UndisclosedMatt Oakley [Southampton - Derby] FreeDean Leacock [Fulham - Derby] £375,000Stephen Bywater [West Ham - Derby] LoanJon Macken [C Palace - Derby] FreeTyrone Mears [West Ham - Derby] LoanJay McEveley [Blackburn - Derby] £600,000Stephen Pearson [Celtic - Derby County] £750,000Gary Teale [Wigan - Derby] £600,000Craig Fagan [Hull - Derby] £750,000David Jones [Man Utd - Derby] £1m-plusDerby also bought Steve Howard for about 1 million from Luton, doesn''t show in this list.  Hmm.5,075,000 spent, 2 Undisclosed fees, 3 Loans, 2 FreesJeff Kenna [Derby - Kidderminster] FreeLionel Ainsworth [Derby - Bournemouth] LoanTommy Smith [Derby - Watford] £500,000Inigo Idiakez [Derby - Southampton] £250,000Nathan Doyle [Derby - Hull] UndisclosedAdam Bolder [Derby - QPR] UndisclosedPaul Thirlwell [Derby - Carlisle] Undisclosed750k Received, 1 Free, 1 Loan, 3 undisclosed.

I think it is highly unfair for Munby to make himself look a total pillock like this....as it is depriving others of doing their job.  What next...Delia installing a couch in the Barclay End to get closer still to her lap dogs?

Utter bilge....and if anyone sucks this in they really are in need of professional help. Cue NN..........[N]

It is one of the few times when someone seems to be digging a hole for themselves in writing, which is quite impressive in itself.

And they''ve already got your season ticket cash.....................you were warned..........................so enjoy!.

If  Grant had the balls of Martin O''Neil.................he''d walk away....................NOW![:@].

[quote user="mystic megson"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

"I believe the football club may have some pleasant surprises in time to come. What I mean by that is a higher standing in the Championship."

[/quote]

Sums up our board much better than the combined talents of Cludger, Smuck and even Mello Yello could possibly manage.  A work of genius.

[/quote]

And another thing.  Why should "a higher standing in the Championship" be a surprise, pleasant or otherwise?  Oh dear.

Memo to Mumbles:  If you really want to be "cleverer", Leeds have gone into admin today, so we could do the same tomorrow, get a 10-point penalty and still avoid relegation.  Then put the club up for sale, with the debt cleared you wouldn''t be short of offers . . . 

[quote user="blahblahblah"]I personally think the sheer turnover of players is revealing in its own way.
[/quote]

yes, player turnover was a Worthington excuse...  as well as the relegation hangover Birmingham and Sunderland also suffered.

And our inept and stupid Board fell for this claptrap.  Cleverer my rear end....

Appalling.

Absolutely appalling.

The New Norwich City exposed.

I cry for my club.

And challenge anybody to give us a positive spin on our chairman''s analysis and vision.

OTBC 

I don''t know why everyone is complaining, it makes perfect nonsense to me.[:S]

Maybe Mr Rogernator has a secondary and therapeutic hobby of writing junk-mail?[:|]

I wonder if he had a pencil up each nostril - and uttered ''wibble'' when he wrote it?[8-)]

[quote user="Cluck "]

I think it is highly unfair for Munby to make himself look a total pillock like this....as it is depriving others of doing their job.  What next...Delia installing a couch in the Barclay End to get closer still to her lap dogs?

Utter bilge....and if anyone sucks this in they really are in need of professional help. Cue NN..........[N]

[/quote]

Read the whole article and none of it makes any sense to me! I''d still like some professional help though!!

Managing to get the obligatory Delia reference in so early in such a short post say''s more about you though Cluck [;)]

I have defended actions by the board on other threads, but I can''t defend that statement. We should be treated to an outline of a plan to get us challenging at the top of the league, we get wishy washy nothingness. Contrast this to the words coming out of Sunderland. The sad thing is I DO have faith in Grant, but I damn well hope he is getting stronger management and support by the board than this. Whilst I wouldn''t expect details, I want to see the board stating a goal for next season, tied to a 3 and 5 year plan, outlining how the club will achieve these goals and actually sounding like they are in control of the situation.

Grant himself seems to have a plan and an idea of how to achieve it. He has highlighted weaknesses (such as scouting and youth development) and made moves to fix the issues. However we fans need to see him working on these areas in tandem with the board.

The club needs and deserves stronger leadership than this.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Appalling.

Absolutely appalling.

The New Norwich City exposed.

I cry for my club.

And challenge anybody to give us a positive spin on our chairman''s analysis and vision.

OTBC 

[/quote]

Beautifully put BBB.  Brought a tear to my eye.

Where on earth do we go from here?

The only way I can interpret it positively is that he might be saying that we''ve stored some of the Premiership cash, and have it to spend now.  But why would you some out and say that before the season ends and the transfer window opens ?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

Read the whole article and none of it makes any sense to me! I''d still like some professional help though!!

Managing to get the obligatory Delia reference in so early in such a short post say''s more about you though Cluck [;)]

[/quote]

Maybe...but then defending the indefencible is your continual hallmark NN.

I can''t see how anyone so apparently "knowledgeable" can be so wholly naive...unless of course they have a hidden protectionist agenda or are getting paid for it.

Why highlight my Delia reference? Who is it apart from her and her cronies that have got us into this mess? Is it the fans? No.  Is it Archent? No. Is it the NCISA? No. So how you can separate a preposterous statement by Munby from Smith herself I''ll never know. His words are her words...so what part of the "defensive united front" aspect don''t you understand?

Munby is Smith''s puppet to deflect public criticism away from her celebrity persona. Why can''t you grasp this fact?  He takes the flak while Smith smiles serenely...knowing that hiding behind the "major shareholder" tag it keeps her public nose clean and clear of "blame". Sack the "Chairman" means sack Munby....so we''d still be left with Smith playing with her little yellow and green dolls house....moving her 24000 dolls into postion safe in the knowledge that she has their undivided attention.

You represent everything that is wrong with NCFC in 2007 to be frank. It''s just excuse after excuse..."spun" posts to confuse issues....and a general " It wasn''t me Guv" when you are confronted. Candy floss to the Board and confirmation that many City fans of today are lilly livered and scared of facing the future without their mother figure in place.

God help us.........

[quote user="Cluck "][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I can''t see how anyone so apparently "knowledgeable" can be so wholly naive...unless of course they have a hidden protectionist agenda or are getting paid for it.

Why highlight my Delia reference? Who is it apart from her and her cronies that have got us into this mess? Is it the fans? No.  Is it Archent? No. Is it the NCISA? No. So how you can separate a preposterous statement by Munby from Smith herself I''ll never know. His words are her words...so what part of the "defensive united front" aspect don''t you understand?

Munby is Smith''s puppet to deflect public criticism away from her celebrity persona. Why can''t you grasp this fact?  He takes the flak while Smith smiles serenely...knowing that hiding behind the "major shareholder" tag it keeps her public nose clean and clear of "blame". Sack the "Chairman" means sack Munby....so we''d still be left with Smith playing with her little yellow and green dolls house....moving her 24000 dolls into postion safe in the knowledge that she has their undivided attention.

You represent everything that is wrong with NCFC in 2007 to be frank. It''s just excuse after excuse..."spun" posts to confuse issues....and a general " It wasn''t me Guv" when you are confronted. Candy floss to the Board and confirmation that many City fans of today are lilly livered and scared of facing the future without their mother figure in place.

God help us.........

[/quote]

What mess?????????

Surely when Robert Chase departed the club was a mess. When does disappointment become a mess? I can''t "defend" this article because as I stated none of it makes any sense to me. I could speculate what was meant, as blah did, but that would only be speculation or dare I even say spin!!! I knew I shouldn''t have bothered reacting to your post in the first place, one throw away remark brings on a tirade of abuse in a personal post but I guess I only have myself to blame.

Don''t forget, of course, that, if we DO have some £££''s to spend, it won''t be in May ("...everyone is still busy re.play off''s etc, no-one wants to let players go then..."); June ("...everyone is on holiday..."); July ("...still on holiday and, when they come back for training, they''ll be evaluating their squads etc, no-one wants to sell players then..."); August ("...we''ve made the calls, Nigel Doncaster was actually on the phone at 9pm one evening!!!!!!....we''ve sent faxes*, we''re waiting for people to get back to us...") etc etc...

*Never heard of E Mail obviously!

Then, come the start of the season....

"...well, Earnie and Luke are now fully fit, so thats like signing two new players, in addition, Tony Warner has come back on loan, so, really, we''ve made three signings..."

You know it!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Cluck "][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

God help us.........

[/quote]

What mess?????????

Surely when Robert Chase departed the club was a mess. When does disappointment become a mess? I can''t "defend" this article because as I stated none of it makes any sense to me. I could speculate what was meant, as blah did, but that would only be speculation or dare I even say spin!!! I knew I shouldn''t have bothered reacting to your post in the first place, one throw away remark brings on a tirade of abuse in a personal post but I guess I only have myself to blame.

[/quote]

You call that abuse?  Where do you live?...Toy Town?

It''s called direct disagreement....maybe something you''re not used to living next door to Big Ears.  How can you say being £20 odd million in debt, a loser of a manager and a crap squad is anything but a mess?  Maybe you''ll be happy to wait until we become another Leeds before you drop the apologist stance and get real....but some of us aren''t that foolish and prevention as you may well know, is considerably better than cure.

To be honest NN, I''ve come to the conclusion of late that Cluck is Robert Chase - local business man approaching retirement made good, multiple properties and an insanely irrational hatred of Delia Smith?? [:)]  

[quote user="Cluck "][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Cluck "][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

God help us.........

[/quote]

What mess?????????

[/quote]

You call that abuse?  Where do you live?...Toy Town?

It''s called direct disagreement....maybe something you''re not used to living next door to Big Ears.  How can you say being £20 odd million in debt, a loser of a manager and a crap squad is anything but a mess?  Maybe you''ll be happy to wait until we become another Leeds before you drop the apologist stance and get real....but some of us aren''t that foolish and prevention as you may well know, is considerably better than cure.

[/quote]

Your direct disagreement is a credit to you

A major part of our problem is being led by people who are financially successful despite themselves rather than because of themselves.[:-*]

And are too thick or mean to engage effective expertise.[8-|]

OTBC

[quote user="macdougalls perm"]To be honest NN, I''ve come to the conclusion of late that Cluck is Robert Chase - local business man approaching retirement made good, multiple properties and an insanely irrational hatred of Delia Smith?? [:)]  [/quote]

If that''s the case then I''d sooner rather have Cluck in charge at our club than the gutless numpties who are presently occupying the boardroom.