Sign in to follow this  
ZLF

Player ratings

First half excellent when we dominated midfield,  lost it for 15 mins when Spillane came off/Martin went left.  Better team all day purely because of hux.  Lost two points because of 1st sub and not making 1st half domination count - we stillneed that killer instinct.

Warner 7 solid, unlucky with the goal and probably the best passer on the pitch today.

Hughes - 5.5  full of committment

Shackell 6  Did well but so woeful passing

Dion 6 see above

Drury 7 got forward excellently and defended well

Croft 6 - good to see him running at people again,  but the final ball just continues to elude him - best game for a while

Etuhu 8 - superb in the first half (9) but quiet for 25 mins in the second half which cost him my MOTM

Spillane 7- odd one for me,  good effort but didnt seem to do a lot,  yet enormously missed as soon as he came off suggesting his partnership with Etuhu could be one to persevere with for a little while yet.

Fozzy 6 - lost in the middle,   so right footed on the left yet clearly has an eye for a pass - yet overhit so many in one game

Earnie 5 tried but clearly not fit, 3 v good chances yet didnt make the keeper work once,  ineffective all game.

Hux 8 - it was so nearly a one man show - they didnt know how to handle him and every good chance we had came through him.  Legend.

Subs

Martin 5 - would have been for but for being woefully out of position and for the stunning volley which showed why he is a striker

Colin 5 - why in midfield and a midfielder behind him??????????? 

Warner   6   Solid without looking convincing. Could have done a tad better with goal?

Hughes   7.5   Faultless defensive display, full of committment

Drury   7   Showed what he can do, solid at the back and got forward

Dublin   7   Solild Performance

Shackall   7   Solid Performance

Spillane 6.5   looked a bit nervous but got stuck in, full of energy

Fotheringham   6   A bit sloppy, but keen to get on ball

Etuhu   8   Good goal, tirless especially in first half, ominous presence

Croft   5.5   Poor, full of running, but runs with head down and zilch in terms of end product.

Huckerby   8   Posed a constant threat despite not looking completely fit. Legend.

Earnshaw   5.5   Shouldnt have played, not in game much, wasted chances, off the pace.

Subs: Martin   6 Showed Neat touches, but didnt get in the game enough because of position.

Colin   5   Huffed and Puffed but hopelessly out of position

Warner 6 Not much to do, presence was good as usual

Hughes 9 Was awesome today, Felt you were a little harsh Zipper giving him 5.5

Shackell 6  Solid

Dion 6 Solid

Drury 6 Solid

Croft 6 Gave his all, but final ball has to improve

Etuhu 9 Totally awesome, great goal

Spillane 7- I was quite impressed, more experience and what a player we have

Fozzy 6 - Not convinced yet, but the talent is evident

Earnie 5 Way off match fitness

Hux 8 - Fantastic, a real NCFC legend

Subs

Martin 5 -

Colin 5

Hughes less than Drury and Shacks as high as Dublin?  You sure?

Hughes and Dublin were awesome today IMHO.

Warner 6 Looked shaky, however kicking has improved.

Hughes - 8 Best match he had had for Norwich MOTM

Shackell 6  Did well but poor passing

Dion 7 Another good performance.

Drury 6 got forward but decided to kick ball out of play too much.

Croft 6 - good to see him running,  but the final ball poor

Etuhu 7.5 - Good performance

Spillane 6- Average performance

Fozzy 6 - Average performance

Earnie 6 tried but clearly not 100% fit

Hux 8 - Hard to handle. Great performance.

Subs

Martin 6 - Average

Colin 6 - Average

i disagree quite alot with your ratings

Warner 6- mad one good save and worried me  a lot

Hughes - 8-MOM- Ipswich had to swich wingers because he was defneding so well, but does get him delf into trouble and his long range passes arnt directed to anyone exept for a blinding left foot swich to hux

Shackell 6.5- deefended ok

Dion 6.5 mabey he did not get the birtday match he wanted n=but defended well and won some headers late on up-front

Drury 6.5- did not need to defend as despratley as he did

Croft 6-tried hard but never ammounted to anything

Etuhu 7 not MOM imoh because he did not crontribute gratley and could have scored at leat one more, but more effort was put in

Spillane 6-tried to show some derby spirit but did not pay off really but look s grate for furtue

Fozzy 6.5- good first half, overhits nearely everything

Earnie 6.5- had a good go but wasnt quite able and crosses arnt the best amunitionn for a little man

Hux 8 - was exaught=sted at end but i think alouhgh his runs are blinding, how many goaks come form them?, i get exited wehn he gets the ball but with no target man theres no piont unless he shoots more, but should go on wing cos thatts where he picks up ball and runs, plus we need a target man...

Subs

Martin 6- should have switched with hux

Colin 5 - (why in midfield and a midfielder behind him??????????? ) HUGHES is NOT a MIDFILEDER, he dfends very well and does not no were he is in midfield, well any way colin tryied to be crative but only once it kinda paid off but not greatly,

Grant- 4- tried to moatavate but has no idea about the word tactics, the only good thing is playing dubs in defence and huges in defence

Warner 7Hughes 8Shackell 7Dublin 9 MOMDrury 6Croft 7Etuhu 8Spillane 6Fotheringham 5Huckerby 8Earnshaw 6Colin 5Martin 6Grant 4

I thought Hughes had a really good game today.  I couldn''t see anything wrong with him and thought he should have got a 7. 

Warner 7 - never really troubled....apart from goal....one quality saveHughes 6.5 - commitment and wrok rate can''t be questioned...just lacks concentrationShackell 6 - Slightly irrelevantDublin 6.5 -  Decent presence....poor distributionDrury 6 - ...again poor distribution...never really threatenedCroft 6.5 - didn''t shy away but didn''t go his wayFotheringham 2 - ..................Etuhu 9 - different class....simple passing...countless efforts on goalSpillane 4 - not sure why he started...not his fault...taken aback by experience...not sure he touched the ballHuckerby 5 - simple, poor perfomanceEarnshaw 4 - not fit....shouldn''t have startedSubsMartin 5 - should have scored....never a wingerColin 6 - out of position....did Ok

thanks for this. cheered me up no end! just one thing, i find that it helps to actually WATCH the game in question to have an opinion that people will respect.

Warner - 7 - Get your checkbook out Mr Doncaster... payment to ''Mr. M. Al-Fayed C/O Prince Phillip''Hughes - 8 - Well done Andy. Good on yaShackell - 6 - Yeh was ok.... few questionable balls but a solid bet for Next SeasonDublin - 7 - ''Theres no room for boys out there, only men'' - and personfied the quote. Contract??Drury - 7 1/2 - Up and down all afternoon with a fair bit of endevour. Could do with working on a final ball into the box rather than a knock left to Huckerby, but thats a long term GripeCroft - 6 - Good first 20 minutes. Carrying InjuryEtuhu - 8 - Pity he was subbed at 1/2 time though. Spillane - 5/6 - Sorry Mickey, but full of enthusiasim and endevour but let the occasion get the better of him As long as he learns from it, not a problem thoguhFotheringham - 5 - I normally like this guy. But his freekick in the 88th minute makes it a bad mark. few other poor balls in the gameEarnie - 5/6- Rusty. Needs games. Didn''t look at his best by a long shotHux - 8 - I''m bored of Superlatives for Hux. So i''m not going to botherMartin - 5/6 - Im sure he would have been better in a role-reversal with HuckerbyColin - 5/6 - Fair enough not wanting to upset the defence but wouldn''t it have been easier to bring Eagle on and shuffle about a bit???? esp with being a local lad

Quite clearly your free seat in the jarrold meant you were watching a differentgame to me,  mum!?!?  [;)][:D]   

Fantastic effort as normal,  but I would give that;  effort alone is never enough,  but nor is just talent.

[quote user="Dicky"]

[/quote]

Quite sure dicky [:)]

Effort is admirable but I neither look at player reputations nor effort but what impact they have had on the game by playing football.  Dion and shaxs defended well as a pair and hughes worked v hard yesterday, and gave their players a difficult time - tracking peters particularly effectively,  however his positioning and passing remain unaccepable for a right back and his forward play (the bit he was supposed to give ahead of Jurgen) is none existant. 

Huckerby 5 - simple, poor perfomance    lonny lynn

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only simple thing around here .........   is you !    

My thoughts in descending order:

Hughes: I was shocked how good he was. Some surging runs and tigerish tackling. A transformed man.

Etuhu: very powerful, ran the midfield in the first half. But as PG said he can''t do two peoples'' jobs (see below)

Huckerby: third in my list because he was out of the game when playing up front with RE, but blistering when wide left.

Dublin: massive presence at the back. Clearances need to be a bit better though.

Drury: little wrong all game, got forward well in last 15 minutes or so.

Croft: typical Crofty- some great runs but too often little end product

Warner: did OK but spilled one long shot which could have cost us.

Shackell: positioning still suspect at times. gave their No 19 some free space (lucky he was too useless to capitalise)

Earnshaw: Not really at the races today. Showed little, wasted one great chance with long range flick two minutes from time.

Martin: Not his fault, but wide left? Really? Showed good touch with volley which went just over but not mush else.

Fotheringham: wasted wide left and then in the middle didn''t show enough. Overhit free kicks. Jury still out for me.

Spillane: I don''t like giving the youngsters a hard time but he wasn''t in the game. Passed poorly, got in the way then offered no escape routes. very poor support to Etuhu. PG right to sub him, should have changed it at half time. gave away some bad free kicks.

Colin: least said the better. Gets a nose bleed when he''s so far upfield he looked terrified every time he got the ball.

And PG: Odd substitutions. Correct with Spillane, but Hux up front with Martin wide was a disaster. Eagle would have been a better bet instead of Colin (though I can''t remember who was on the bench). Got them fired up which was good, spotted the gaping hole between midfield and defence.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="Dicky"]

[/quote]

Effort is admirable but I neither look at player reputations nor effort but what impact they have had on the game by playing football.  Dion and shaxs defended well as a pair and hughes worked v hard yesterday, and gave their players a difficult time - tracking peters particularly effectively,  however his positioning and passing remain unaccepable for a right back and his forward play (the bit he was supposed to give ahead of Jurgen) is none existant. 

[/quote]

I remember a couple of particularly great runs from Hughes in the second half, so I do feel it is a bit of "Hughes bashing", very popular on these boards, for you to say his forward play was none (sic) existant. 

Credit where credit is due, eh?

ratings

Warner - 7 - some good saves.

Hughes - 8 (MOM) - excellent today

Shackell - 6 - OK

Dublin - 7.5 - Won everything in the air.

Drury - 6 - Looked solid until Martin came on and failed to assist him so often.

Croft - 6 - looked quite a threat at times, finishing is woeful mind.

Spillane - 6 - not great but got involved and covered well

Fotheringham - 4 - did ok at left wing but awful in the centre second half, at least spillane was making tackles and getting involved.

Etuhu - 8 - fantastic first half, couldnt do the job of two players in the 2nd.

Earnshaw - 6 - did ok, no service second half.

Huckerby - 7 - always a threat.

Subs
Martin - 5 - played like a striker on the wing, didnt seem to know where he should be defensively and was directly at fault in the goal. Not his fault mind - he was totally out of position

Colin - 5 - we offered zero threat from the right wing when he entered the pitch.

Posted By: phrankin on April 22nd 2007 at 16:20:52

Grant - 4  Poor substitutions which could have cost us the game

Some strange ratings on here but it just shows how different people see the game differently.

How anyone can give Hughes 5.5 beggars belief  however. If you were really at the match Zipper I would suggest you turn your seat round to face the pitch.

Hughes, Hucks and Etuhu had fine games.

Fotheringham was rather disappointing. The rest were about average.

I also don''t subscribe to the idea that the substitution of Spillane was a bad substitution. We lost the midfield from the start of the second half up until Ipswich scored. The boy had a decent first half but he was obviously struggling in the second.

I have never been a Hughes fan and I think he should be weeded out in the summer but that does not stop me from admitting that yesterday was his best display for City.

[quote user="Dicky"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"][quote user="Dicky"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I remember a couple of particularly great runs from Hughes in the second half, so I do feel it is a bit of "Hughes bashing", very popular on these boards, for you to say his forward play was none (sic) existant. 

Credit where credit is due, eh?

[/quote]

Football is all about opinions - and nun (sic) of us are are right;  just saying as I see it.   Like everyone else I have favourites which colour a view. 

Hughes works hard; so does croft and all he get is criticism for lack of end product yet is a far more effective footballer than hughes.

[quote user="ricardo"]

I also don''t subscribe to the idea that the substitution of Spillane was a bad substitution. We lost the midfield from the start of the second half up until Ipswich scored. The boy had a decent first half but he was obviously struggling in the second.

[/quote]

I agree the substitution of Spillane was not the wrong decision, but to bring on Chris Martin and play him as a left winger was.  Bringing on Right Back Jurgen Colin in right midfield also seemed a tad foollish, considering Grant himself has critisized him for his inability to get forward (something which he did nothing to dispel as one half decent crossfield ball was more or less his total attacking contribution).

Obviously our poor squad size has much to do with the situation, but Grant still got it very wrong in these cases - and with regards to Martin, did nothing about it despite attack after attack coming down our left side.

Zipper wrote:

Quite clearly your free seat in the jarrold meant you were watching a differentgame to me,  mum!?!?  Wink [;)]Big Smile [:D]   

No, I really did think he played well.  I am not a Hughes fan, but did think he played very well yesterday.  Iwill admit he fell apart a little in the second half, but so did most of them. 

Really good seat though.  The same place I used to stand when I first went many years ago. 

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="ricardo"]

[/quote]

I agree the substitution of Spillane was not the wrong decision, but to bring on Chris Martin and play him as a left winger was.  Bringing on Right Back Jurgen Colin in right midfield also seemed a tad foollish, considering Grant himself has critisized him for his inability to get forward (something which he did nothing to dispel as one half decent crossfield ball was more or less his total attacking contribution).

Obviously our poor squad size has much to do with the situation, but Grant still got it very wrong in these cases - and with regards to Martin, did nothing about it despite attack after attack coming down our left side.

[/quote]have to say the fact that martin found himself drawn to the far right stick, to nearly volley in hucks cross, says it all for me.  not exactly the orthodox position you''d expect to find a left winger who''d just come on the pitch!!!

Too right lgt- I thought exactly that. Had young Chris been stuck in there in those last few minutes we might have had the high of the season and the roof lifted off. I think PG wanted CM to bolster the left flank but still, you don''t put in a striker to add defensive weight on the wings!!

[quote user="sonnycityfan aka Ginger Pele"]i disagree quite alot with your ratings

Warner 6- mad one good save and worried me  a lot

Hughes - 8-MOM- Ipswich had to swich wingers because he was defneding so well, but does get him delf into trouble and his long range passes arnt directed to anyone exept for a blinding left foot swich to hux

Shackell 6.5- deefended ok

Dion 6.5 mabey he did not get the birtday match he wanted n=but defended well and won some headers late on up-front

Drury 6.5- did not need to defend as despratley as he did

Croft 6-tried hard but never ammounted to anything

Etuhu 7 not MOM imoh because he did not crontribute gratley and could have scored at leat one more, but more effort was put in

Spillane 6-tried to show some derby spirit but did not pay off really but look s grate for furtue

Fozzy 6.5- good first half, overhits nearely everything

Earnie 6.5- had a good go but wasnt quite able and crosses arnt the best amunitionn for a little man

Hux 8 - was exaught=sted at end but i think alouhgh his runs are blinding, how many goaks come form them?, i get exited wehn he gets the ball but with no target man theres no piont unless he shoots more, but should go on wing cos thatts where he picks up ball and runs, plus we need a target man...

Subs

Martin 6- should have switched with hux

Colin 5 - (why in midfield and a midfielder behind him??????????? ) HUGHES is NOT a MIDFILEDER, he dfends very well and does not no were he is in midfield, well any way colin tryied to be crative but only once it kinda paid off but not greatly,

Grant- 4- tried to moatavate but has no idea about the word tactics, the only good thing is playing dubs in defence and huges in defence

[/quote]

I honestly think that Hux didnt swap with Martin because as you say he was "exhausted" and the wing certainly is alot more demanding.