Sign in to follow this  
ca

City Angel's Match Report

Always a very nerve racking game for me as this is one that I want to win more than anything else in the world. I didn’t asleep for days before the game and it will take me until Monday evening to unwind and get back to normal – well normal for me!

Big bonus before the game both Croft and Hucks had made it, Gunny had said they might up at Colney on Friday , no surprise re Hucks as he’s not one to miss an important game, anyway the team sheet settled my nerves.

Started off really well, Wright and Peters were struggling down the left to keep reins on Hucks and for the first 30 mins he ran the show. But once Ipswich switched Peters and Roberts, it was noticeable that Peters made more of an impact on the right and we let Ipswich back into the game, especially the last 10 mins of the first half. Fotheringham in my opinion was poor and Spillane’s in- experience showed. Great goal by Etuhu  and Hucks was only inches out with a blasting shot too.

First half was definitely ours, but we should have had it sewn up and left them no way back.

We started badly in the second half, couldn’t believe it was the same team , Hucks had lost some pace, Croft seemed to be struggling and for the first 30 mins Ipswich gave us a lesson in the passing game. Peters was flying down that wing and we had to defend big time with Dion & Shackell getting some work to do after the rest in the first half.

Jeffers went close before Wright the man who struggled against Hucks in the first half equalised to make it all square 1-1 in the 62nd minute.

After that Martin came on and should have scored and the last 10 mins Norwich held possession and went guns blazing to get a winner. Earnshaw also had a great chance but didn’t look fit, he worked hard and looked busy but 90 mins looked a struggle for him..

1-1  a fair result for both team.

A game of 2 halves, another ‘derby game’ over and hopefully I’ll sleep tonight.

Man of the Match Dickson - Dickson Etuhu

Special mention for Andy Hughes who isn’t the most skilful player on the pitch and gets loads of stick but today he made up for that with passion, grit and his terrier- like chasing, when we didn’t have the ball.

My Ratings

Warner - 6 - Didn''t have much to do to do, made a couple of good saves 2nd half

Hughes - 7 - One of his best games in a Norwich shirt, showed passion grit and determination

Shackell - 6 - Did a decent job

Dublin - 7 - Won a lot in the air and showed us why we love him. Happy Birthday you Legend

Drury - 6 - Struggled against the pace of Peters in the 2nd half, think we need another left back to give him competition

Croft - 6 – Didn’t look fit to me but did a reasonable job

Spillane - 5 – Tried hard but needs more experience

Fotheringham - 4 Our owrst player – why are we giving him a new contract??

Etuhu - 8 – My Man of the Match

Earnshaw - 5 - Looked short of match fitness, should he have played the 90mins??

Huckerby - 7 - Looked our biggest threat, ran the show for the first 30 mins and Peters and Wright just couldn’t contain him

thats fairly good, but i thought earnie played ok not a 5 or 5.5 where i have seen other places, he went for the ball alot, i only remember 1 chance where hre had thye ball, that was from colins pass, but should have come off earlyer

as well as showing passion grit and determination i think Hughes gave 110% and had a never-say-die attitude  Stick out tongue [:P]

I think your marks out of ten are spot-on but a bit harsh on Croft. Lets face it kicking off at noon was a real problem for him as it clashed with lunch and he wanted to get off the pitch early to have first choice(s) of pies.

As for Fotheringham, I can''t see what Grant sees in him. He''s done nothing of note since he arrived, but perhaps Grant knows (or insists) Safri is going and needs squad cover until he get someone better.

I think Spillane has potential (and certainly more than Eagle) and would like to see him remain in situ for the last two games.

[quote user="TwoSheds"]Next stop.......... Match Of The Day[/quote]

I''m after Neil Adams''s job, would love to liven up Canary Call [:D]

[quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]

but a bit harsh on Croft.

[/quote]

Croft was awful, not harsh at all, good report CA.

have to totally agree with the ratings given, and i to am at a loss as to how fotheringham might be given a new contract, he''s not the most physical of centre midfielders and therefore he has to be skillful instead which before he signed i got an impression that passing was he best asset which today he was beaten by andy hughes at, MF''s passes were simpl awful and set pieces were poor as well bar 1

also was andy hughes not fed all week or something? he really was a pshyco and i was waiting for him to get sent off but for me he summed up the match.... good determination and commitment on a hot day to play football on but the lack of quality and ''cutting edge'' on both sides was evident, damien francis anyone?!

[quote user="Peter Grantys Tartan Army"][quote user="FilletTheFishWife"]

but a bit harsh on Croft.

[/quote]

Croft was awful, not harsh at all, good report CA.

[/quote]

I thought Crofty looked lively for the first 30-40 minutes. As a player who obviously struggles for fitness it was no surprise he went off the boil, I mean he can hardly last 60 minutes when fully fit!! [:S]

A very fair summary.

I''m glad to see that somebody else was at at the same match that I attended.

A very fair report and in agreement with what most people around me thought.  I sometimes think that people go to games with fixed opinions and it would not matter what certain players do in the course of 90 mins they will already be cast as heroes or villians.  Previously I have castigated Dickson Etuhu but yesterday he was very good.  Similarly Andy Hughes who has looked a plank in midfield had an excellent game at full back.  I do feel positive about next season but as 1st Wizard so correctly says let''s have more ambition from the Board.

Spillane gets a lower mark than croft?Croft was awful!At least Spillane got stuck in and threw his weight around a bit, you knew he was on the pitch!

Also, i feel Hughes was MOTM every time over Etuhu on sunday.

Another nice job Angel.

It was pleasing for me to see Hughes get a fair and balanced write up in your report.

Is it just me who loves the little sod?.

Another good piece from our very own "Roving reporter"! Nice one CA!

I agree with most of your post and your ratings except that I couldn''t seperate Etuhu, Hucks and "Hooze" so for different reasons made all three MOM!

I can''t help but wonder why although your excellent contributions are so readily accepted on this site, and rightly so, a woman commentator on MOD seems to cause so much offence. I may even be tempted to "watch it on the wireless" if you presented Canary Call!!!

I thought Croft did well on sunday.. he looked lively actually used the ball well and was covering more ground that he normally does.

jas :)

Hi City Angel

Like you, this game always is the highlight for me and as derbies go was better than the last few.

Have to say the player who stood out for me was Hughes, he was simply fantastic - so he''s not the most technically gifted player but he wore the shirt with pride and got stuck in...

Etuhu is a vast improvement on last season and the start of this, where has he been hiding, is this simply the result of bad management and coaching or is he a slow starter?  Dion was excellent too and we can always rely on Hucks, who was visablly cream crackered but gave his all.

We should have wrapped it up in the second half and were guilty of letting them back into it, but I still maintain there are big signs of recovery and it''s great to finally see the youngsters getting a fair trial.

Would love to see you present Canary Call.  I simply can''t listen to it, it''s just so embarrassing to think we, the supporters, cannot do better than this, both as contributers or presenters.  Neil "sit on the fence" Adams is a waste of space as a presenter.  Sorry I missed your call, and won''t be able to listen next season....Please continue to summarise on here!

[quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]i thought it was obvious (from the rest of my post) that I was joking.[/quote]

That''ll teach me for replying without reading the whole post! Sorry FTFW!!!