Sign in to follow this  
NavMan

Derby day too late in season

Anybody agree that the local derby on Sun was too late in the season to give either team the impetus to go on and win the game - neither team could go up and neither team could go down and with only one point seperating them in the league it was always a good draw on the coupons.  Needs to be at the beginning of March at least to ensure that there is still enough of the season left to warrant a game where things could still be at stake and not an end of season clash that will affect absolutely nothing.  

In another season, this fixture could have been determining play-off or promotion places, like the Birmingham - Wolves game, so it''s impossible to say if moving it to March or anywhere else would make a difference.  That said, I preferred it when all the local derbies happened on Boxing Day and some time over Easter - a practice which stopped some time in the late 80s I think.  I would imagine that a lot of other people would have preferred short trips during the holiday periods too.

[quote user="NavMan"]Anybody agree that the local derby on Sun was too late in the season to give either team the impetus to go on and win the game - neither team could go up and neither team could go down and with only one point seperating them in the league it was always a good draw on the coupons.  Needs to be at the beginning of March at least to ensure that there is still enough of the season left to warrant a game where things could still be at stake and not an end of season clash that will affect absolutely nothing.  [/quote]

There would have been plenty at stake if City and Ipswich had been two of the clubs who currently occupy 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the Championship.

It''s just the luck of the draw when the two derby fixtures are played although I would like to see them revert to the Christmas and Easter holidays with a 3.00pm kick-off. 

[quote]Am I right in thinking that we haven''t had a Saturday/3PM derby day kick off since the 93/94 season?[/quote]Probably.  I believe the reasoning behind it is that if you kick a game off in the early morning or at lunchtime, fans don''t have enough time to get bladdered into an alcoholic frenzy of disruption.  Pure nanny state-ism if y''ask me.  Ooer, is that cluck or Smudger I''m sounding like there ?

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote]Am I right in thinking that we haven''t had a Saturday/3PM derby day kick off since the 93/94 season?[/quote]

Probably.  I believe the reasoning behind it is that if you kick a game off in the early morning or at lunchtime, fans don''t have enough time to get bladdered into an alcoholic frenzy of disruption.  Pure nanny state-ism if y''ask me.  Ooer, is that cluck or Smudger I''m sounding like there ?
[/quote]

Lightweights or wot ? ....... Even I managed to get four in between 10.00am and kick-off

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]

Am I right in thinking that we haven''t had a Saturday/3PM derby day kick off since the 93/94 season?

[/quote]

the 5-0 was the last saturday 3pm kick off

jas :)

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]

Am I right in thinking that we haven''t had a Saturday/3PM derby day kick off since the 93/94 season?

[/quote]

Don''t know ALEX...

I believe there has been a few...

There has certainly been one (around 1996 time) that was a 7:45pm kick-off on a Friday night.

I had a MASSIVE yellow ''Ian Crook is a football genius'' banner (just after the time when he had signed for Ipswich scum on a free transfer pre-season only to never play a game for them prior to returning to City).

Nearly took a spanking in Norwich train station that night by a load of scummers when trying to get a friend of ours who had epilepsy and learning difficulties on the train home.

Then to our surprise we saw a guy with an Ipwsich shirt on (beneath an unbuttoned shirt) dancing around in The Waterfront at about 1am...  We started taking the pi$$ out of him... he started giving us the come on then... so I walked over and pushed him away in the face and spat on his shirt...  As soon as I done that about 30 Norwich lads (the majority of whom I had never met) were ready to whack him one...

Considering we were well pi$$ed by that time I think that us Noriwch fans showed considerable restraint by not landing a punch on him...  Bet it would of been a different story if the boot was on the other foot and it was a City fan out on a Friday evening immediately after a derby match in Ipswich???

Apparently the scummers had trashed a few pubs in the City earlier that day also...  The Coach & Horse''s prior to it''s more recent renevations for starters!!!

So anybody that was unaware of this and who thinks that it has all been relatively well controlled in the last however many years due to the early kick-off''s may be slightly surprised by these events???

I myself can still not believe that this game was played at that time on a Friday evening!!!

Was there not as game held at Poorman Road on a Friday evening around about the same period in time also???

I think that there was???