Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

martin - 9 games without a goal

And Contract signed...

Chris Martin then, almost completed his first half season in the 1st team side...

Is he the player we all thought he''d be when he burst onto the scene? or were we all living a false hope? 9 games without a goal now and whilst his work rate has been good as has his touch why the sudden dip in form?

some on here were saying he was better than Bellamy.. the best youth product we have produced... others said he could end up the next Adrian Coote...

What do u still all think?

were we all getting carried away? will people be proved right? what does the future hold for the lad?

I think he will do well for us... probably needs to spend a day with Dion to learn how to become the complete striker, but i dont think he will go on to be a mega star in the game.

jas :)

Regardless of the recent goal drought (and all strikers have them), I think the lad looks better and more confident every time I see him.

He looked assured on the ball when he came on against Ipswich even though the left side is not his natural position. He held the ball up well, was strong in possession and tried to make his passes count.

Personally I am very satisfied with his progress. People need to remember that he is only seventeen. He has come a long way in a short time and he still has a long way to go but I firmly believe he will be a big star in years to come.

think martin could turn out to be a very good player.

would like to see him just play up front, he has a distinct lack of pace at the moment. ( looked like he was running in treacle as wright went past him to score for the scummers )

but all in all he looks promising.

I genuinely think that he is a [*]star player[*] (which is fantastic considering that out of our only other stars Hucks will soon retire and Earny could be sold and his millions no doubt divided into numerous average Championship squad-fillers[:''(]).

If you want youth to come through you must get fully behind them, expect regular errors, goalless streaks and weak performances and let them grow into an unforgiving world.

I''ve seen enough Norwich City starlets who the club and fans have raved about down the years and who have utterly faded into adequacey (and worse!) to know that what I see in Martin is something wholly different. We will make a good bundle of Premiership money out of him in a few years time.  

OTBC

No-one''s said it but we''ve all been thinking it - contract signed, goals dry up. Coincedence? Have to say i''ve yet to see him play so will have to reserve judgement. He was performing when he first started so we know he has it in him.But it wouldn''t suprise me if the Man Utd story was planted by one of weasel man Taylor''s cronies at the PFA to give them more leaverage in the contract negotiations. God it makes you cynical this game!!

I think it''s good for Chris to have some lows after he will so many highs in just 3 months, that''s life and a good learning curve to him, he must living with that.

chris did the biz when we needed it - on heavy pitches, and scored the goals we needed to stave off relegation, which without earnie  around  was a real  threat to me and many others. certainly his protracted contract negotiations did him no favours, and he''s lost momentum.   with a summers sun on his back, make no mistake, he''ll come back flying next season - best youth propect since sutton for me.  as long as grant plays him up front and not on the left wing, he''ll do fine!!!

Grant is right ( did I just say that ?)     Martin   is a sprog  who could burn out  easily if  overplayed   , 17 !  he`s still growing , his muscles  need time to form , and I bet  he takes a teddy to bed with him [:^)]        his mentors  should be  Hucks and Dion  ,  listen to them well Chris , and you`ll be a star   my son [:D]  

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]chris did the biz when we needed it - on heavy pitches, and scored the goals we needed to stave off relegation, which without earnie  around  was a real  threat to me and many others.

certainly his protracted contract negotiations did him no favours, and he''s lost momentum.   with a summers sun on his back, make no mistake, he''ll come back flying next season - best youth propect since sutton for me. 

as long as grant plays him up front and not on the left wing, he''ll do fine!!!

[/quote]

Nice to see you admitting to that fact LGT... 

Many others on here have failed to since we won at Luton & Barnsley and everything turned out fine and dandy...

In truth though... it was so obvious that prior to the Luton game a good 90% of Norwich fans were fearing the worst!!!

what you have to remember, is that when martin ''burst'' onto the scene, he was unknown to other teams. Probably 95% of norwich fans had never heard of him when he had his first game on the bench. When a player comes through and start banging goals in every game, then other teams watch them play a lot more and they learn theyre game, and mark them much more.When he first appeared he was a nobody and was unknown and unmarked. now everyone knows hes quality, so they mark him and study his game. Martins now got to get used to being marked out of games, in the same way huckerby has had to.

I said he''d be on loan to Rochdale next season...and I stand by it.  Too many fan''s desperate for a "hero" I''m afraid....and a club so desperate to hold on to one that they break the bank to do it.

I''m pleased the lad can afford a Hummer now.......but he''s been sussed and eliminated as a threat.

Chris has talent but has plenty of hard work still to do to become a really successful star - some many youngsters burst onto the scene and make early impression only to fizzle out a season and a half later.  

He has made a better impression than say Eagle or the Jarvis brothers in recent city times - his challenge is to improve all aspects of his game (especially given his lack of pace) to sustain his bright start.   

Sheded wrote:  and I bet  he takes a teddy to bed with him [:^)]     

And what''s wrong with that? I take a teddy to bed too; but at least I don''t wear Lincoln green pjamas!

This sums up why perhaps your absence from games will save you pain.  You obviously cannot spot a decent footballing talent when you see one.  He has all the attributes and will figure strongly next season in our team. 

Lets see who is right.

[quote user="Cluck "]

I said he''d be on loan to Rochdale next season...and I stand by it.  Too many fan''s desperate for a "hero" I''m afraid....and a club so desperate to hold on to one that they break the bank to do it.

I''m pleased the lad can afford a Hummer now.......but he''s been sussed and eliminated as a threat.

[/quote]

Agree with cluck-needs more to be any good and arrogance alone is a long way short of what is required. Without pace will struggle in this league and zero chance of moving on-Shame really but he can join the rest of the highly paid average players we have  

[quote]When he first appeared he was a nobody and was unknown and unmarked.

now everyone knows hes quality, so they mark him and study his game.

Martins now got to get used to being marked out of games, in the same

way huckerby has had to.[/quote]Very good point DTT.  With Earnie ready to go next season (touch wood), Martin will probably find more space available to him if they play up front together, could be a very potent combination.

[quote user="JC"]

This sums up why perhaps your absence from games will save you pain.  You obviously cannot spot a decent footballing talent when you see one.  He has all the attributes and will figure strongly next season in our team. 

Lets see who is right.

[quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote][/quote]

Yep....we''ll see who''s right indeed...but by the time you''ve spent a hefty wad finding out...I''ll be chilled and simply waiting for the day reality returns to the club and it''s ovine fans. He''s has his 15 minutes of fame...now he''s got his 3 years of inflated wages to enjoy.

Martin is a decent kid...but he ain''t no match winner in a serious promotion chase.  That''s where you should be looking instead of trying to reason with the mediocrity so many of you seem contented with.

[quote user="Cluck "][quote user="JC"]

Lets see who is right.

[quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote][/quote]

Yep....we''ll see who''s right indeed...but by the time you''ve spent a hefty wad finding out...I''ll be chilled and simply waiting for the day reality returns to the club and it''s ovine fans. He''s has his 15 minutes of fame...now he''s got his 3 years of inflated wages to enjoy.

Martin is a decent kid...but he ain''t no match winner in a serious promotion chase.  That''s where you should be looking instead of trying to reason with the mediocrity so many of you seem contented with.

[/quote]

I think you''ve got that one wrong Cluck.

You can usually tell pretty quickly when a young player has something special about them and young Martin certainly has it.

It was immediately obvious that Sutton had it and the same with Dale Gordon and Bellamy and just as obvious that Henderson didn''t.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

And Contract signed...

Chris Martin then, almost completed his first half season in the 1st team side...[/quote]

He hasn''t been quite as sharp since he signed the new deal.

Must have something to do with the £10,000 a week he is now getting!

that £10000 a week is more like £500 to £1000 a week i think you''ll find.No manager is stupid enough to give a teenager that kind of money. Look at jermain pennant as an example of what that much money does to kids. Its taken him a long while to get back on track again. Plus its insulting to other teammates to give a kid who''s played a dozen games a 10 grand a week deal.This aint the premiership, theres a world of difference. Most of our players are on less than £6000 a week. just a couple of them are on more than £10000