Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Alan Ball RIP

I was saddened to learn late last night, that one of mt 66'' hero''s Alan Ball, died after a massive heart attack, aged 61, which is no age in these days.

My condolences go out to his family.

Thanks for some great memories mate.

I echo your sentiments Wiz,

I have fond memories of this squeaky voiced little dynamo who did so much for English football both as a player and manager.

R.I.P. Alan

An ambassador of the English game & a great mentor to generations of footballers that superceded him.

Rest in peace, Alan Ball.

This is very sad news Wiz.

My very first memories of football are the 1966 World Cup. Alan Ball was probably the youngest player in that team and he was definitely the engine of the side. Many people said he was MOM in the final despite Hursts hat-trick.

Great memories for sure.

I was very surprised to hear this - strange because only the other day i was wondering about how many of the 66 team are actually still alive. The vast majority thankfully (is it just bobby moore who''s no longer around?) but this is sure to change quite a bit in the coming years. Starting it seems with Alan Ball. He has never been far from the football scene, and it''s a shame he didn''t have another go at management after the ill-fated match up with Citeh. He was one whose view was always sought during world cups and euro champs. It will be strange not to see him around. Sad indeed.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

I was saddened to learn late last night, that one of mt 66'' hero''s Alan Ball, died after a massive heart attack, aged 61, which is no age in these days.

My condolences go out to his family.

Thanks for some great memories mate.

[/quote]

sad news indeed wiz.. i can remmeber him as manager of pompey and the saints.

jas :)

Yes Wiz, he will be sadly missed. Great player and a true English legend.

It always gives pause for thought when someone in your own age group dies suddenly.

Another timely reminder to "seize the day"

This was a total shock. Alan Ball was a great player and a total football fanatic, such a great ambassador for the game. More like Alan Ball in this day and age would certainly inspire football to be played in the right way. Will be sadly missed.

RIP ALAN.

I hope there is a minutes silence on saturday.

[quote user="DIZNAZZA HIZLOMEZ"]

I hope there is a minutes silence on saturday.

[/quote]

There is going to be a 1 minute applause for Alan on Saturday. 

although im too young to remember im playing, on the many times ive seen re-runs of  ''66 he was superb and the mans legend status across the country speaks for itself....my hands will ache with applause on saturday.

RIP Alan

im sure all the message boards thoughts are with your family and friends.

Sorry, but why? I have every sympathy for Alan Ball''s family but he has no association with Norwich City. Do we need a one minute silence/applause everytime a well-known footballer or personality dies? We even had one for Ken Bigley! This mass public bereavement trend is a bit sickly.

[quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]

Sorry, but why? I have every sympathy for Alan Ball''s family but he has no association with Norwich City. Do we need a one minute silence/applause everytime a well-known footballer or personality dies? We even had one for Ken Bigley! This mass public bereavement trend is a bit sickly.

[/quote]

He just happened to be the best player on the pitch when we, England, actually won the world cup in 66, that is a minute silence right there, imo. Maybe you are too young to remember, otherwise you would not have wrote what you did.

we are playing southampton, a club who he had strong links with, and also ricky knight is right (hey that ryhmes!) im a poet and i didnt even know it.

Although Alan Ball has no association with Norwich City he was a huge figure at international level in football.

Where as I agree that the mass public bereavement trend is sickly I don''t believe a tribute to Alan Ball would be part oif that trend.

Although why we had minutes silences at football matches for random members of the royal family is a different thing entirely!

[quote user="ricky knight"][quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]

[/quote]

He just happened to be the best player on the pitch when we, England, actually won the world cup in 66, that is a minute silence right there, imo. Maybe you are too young to remember, otherwise you would not have wrote what you did.

[/quote]

Being 42, I can certainly remember Alan Ball, although my memory of the World Cup is a bit hazy. I am not disputing his stature in the football world and had overlooked the Southampton question.

What i was disputing though was the need to join the bandwagon that feels the necessity for fashionable ostenatious and tacky one minute silences for remote cult heroes , royalty and celebs etc.

I didn''t ask 25,000 people to share my grief when my dog died and that upset me considerably more.

All you youngsters out there should realise that this is where white football boots came from! he certainly done his bit for football fashion.

RIP Alan and thanks for the memories.

[quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."][quote user="ricky knight"][quote user="FilletTheFishWife ."]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Being 42, I can certainly remember Alan Ball, although my memory of the World Cup is a bit hazy. I am not disputing his stature in the football world and had overlooked the Southampton question.

What i was disputing though was the need to join the bandwagon that feels the necessity for fashionable ostenatious and tacky one minute silences for remote cult heroes , royalty and celebs etc.

I didn''t ask 25,000 people to share my grief when my dog died and that upset me considerably more.

[/quote]

Well of course that would upset you more, a pet is a part of the family. But please show a bit of respect for someone who has given the footballing world a lot of great memories. Not too much to ask of you is it?

you''ve got me wrong. as i said in my original post I have every sympathy for his family and recognise his contribution to the history pf English soccer. But people die every day and many have a miserable life. By contrast, Alan Ball has had a happy and successful life playing sport. My point was, and still is, is it really necessary to have these en masse public gestures so frequently (if at all). I will inevitably join the applause and, like the majority of the others who do so, forget about Alan Ball as soon as a ball is kicked. That''s not being disrespectual. That''s being honest.

Man of the Match at the age of 20 for England in our biggest football match of all time - The World Cup Final at Wembley Stadium in 1966.

What better time to come good.

Real character and class.

I had a glimpse at my ticket stub and shed a quiet tear.

A giant.

OTBC

[quote user="Rustyboy"]

All you youngsters out there should realise that this is where white football boots came from! he certainly done his bit for football fashion.

[/quote]

"He won the world cup, in his stupid white boots... now you turn up for work in flat-caps and shell suits!!!"

Although I was too young to remember Bally in his prime...  I share your sentiments WIZ... Good post mate [;)]

Would like to add my sentiments regarding Alan Ball a great player his passing has saddened me. I am 59 years of age and had the most amazing privelage to have been at the 1966 World Cup final (in fact all the games held at Wembley) My mate and I travelled down from Norwich for all the games and stood in the same spot behind the goal, the one which became imortalised with "they think it''s all over" Brilliant memories, thank you Alan, rest in  peace.