Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Club's ambition? Skipper had doubts

Until being convinced to the contrary by Peter Grant, Adam Drury had doubts about the club''s ambitions. Check these extracts from a Pink''un interview.

Canaries skipper Adam Drury is ready to commit himself to Norwich City after being convinced by manager Peter Grant that the club is heading in the right direction.

Drury''s contract is up in the summer, with the club holding a one-year option, but the left-back confirmed yesterday that he would be staying - and that the only real sticking points had been clarification of the club''s ambitions.

“The things I need to get sorted weren''t issues really, they were matters alongside, not actually in, my contract. I don''t want to sign if the club is not going to be challenging. Any footballer wants to be part of something where they think they are going forward.

“I didn''t want to sign and then think, ''hang on a minute, we''re selling all the players or getting rid of all the players and no one is coming in, that''s not right''.

“I wanted to make sure - and through talking to the gaffer you can see he wants to win things. That is a big part of it for me, I want to be part of a side that is going to be challenging. I don''t want to sign a contract and just be happy to be finishing mid-table every year or, like this season, where with eight weeks to go you get a few points to stay up and then that''s it, you''ve got nothing to play for.”

So, we didn''t have any ambition this year, but next year we will!

We''ll see.

OTBC

I thought it was a thread concerning the ''ever popular'' NCFC Director, Barry Skipper.........and I wasn''t going to bother reading it.[:#]

But, curiosity got the better of me, and I wholly agree with your readings into what ''Kapitan'' Drury has said in the Pink''un interview Bly.

Mr Drury has reached a time in his career where he wants more from the game, after tasting the ''high'' of lifting a well deserved Championship trophy, including having a less successful ''flutter'' in the ''Top Flight'' - just those few years ago.

He and the other ''so few'' left here, from that successful squad, are probably thinking the same thing.......

Only a years extension on his contract, so I''d assume if Veja Doh! occurs again - he will be gone this time next year. I can''t really blame him.

All supporters/players want the ''moon on a stick''..........we, like most mediocre clubs - just get to stare at it with the naked eye - at this moment in time.

But hey, There''s always that little chestnut called ''hindsight''.......and what a fine explanation for ''failure'' and incorrect judgement with refusal to accept responsibility and accountability, that word describes. It''s all the fans fault anyway. 

I am eagerly awaiting the predictable end of season, and, ''on a continuous loop'' Chairman''s rallying call - that we will push for better things next season, and bring not one Crofty type player in, but TWO!......during the latter part of ''nobody does business till the end of the close-season y''know''...... apparently.

Yeah, I''ll be there again, sat on my Plastic Pew, forever hopeful again next season........I just hope that Mr ''ambitious'' Drury gets what he - and the tolerant and excellent support, ''hopes'' for.....[^o)] 

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Until being convinced to the contrary by Peter Grant, Adam Drury had doubts about the club''s ambitions. Check these extracts from a Pink''un interview.

Canaries skipper Adam Drury is ready to commit himself to Norwich City after being convinced by manager Peter Grant that the club is heading in the right direction.

Drury''s contract is up in the summer, with the club holding a one-year option, but the left-back confirmed yesterday that he would be staying - and that the only real sticking points had been clarification of the club''s ambitions.

“The things I need to get sorted weren''t issues really, they were matters alongside, not actually in, my contract. I don''t want to sign if the club is not going to be challenging. Any footballer wants to be part of something where they think they are going forward.

“I didn''t want to sign and then think, ''hang on a minute, we''re selling all the players or getting rid of all the players and no one is coming in, that''s not right''.

“I wanted to make sure - and through talking to the gaffer you can see he wants to win things. That is a big part of it for me, I want to be part of a side that is going to be challenging. I don''t want to sign a contract and just be happy to be finishing mid-table every year or, like this season, where with eight weeks to go you get a few points to stay up and then that''s it, you''ve got nothing to play for.”

We''ll see.

OTBC

[/quote]

biting the hand that feeds him!

hes not far off 30 and is playing for a medicore championship side that could be forced into selling players int eh summer regardless of what Grant says, he isnt as good as he thinks he is and this article suggests someone who was hanging the club out to dry.. his performances havent warranted a new contract imho and my opnion of him has gone down even more..

Captain Marvel? cpatain arrogant greedy mercenary more like!

he''ll be off liek a shot if we dotn start well next season.

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

We''ll see.

OTBC

[/quote]

biting the hand that feeds him!

hes not far off 30 and is playing for a medicore championship side that could be forced into selling players int eh summer regardless of what Grant says, he isnt as good as he thinks he is and this article suggests someone who was hanging the club out to dry.. his performances havent warranted a new contract imho and my opnion of him has gone down even more..

Captain Marvel? cpatain arrogant greedy mercenary more like!

he''ll be off liek a shot if we dotn start well next season.

[/quote]

jas, I''m beginning to suspect that you''ve been abducted by aliens and replaced by a Doomcaster clone . . . the board are more than capable of producing their own propaganda, they don''t need you to do it for them.

I agree with Jas

Drury has not had a great season and he was found out badly in the Premiership so I am surprised at some of his comments. If Norwich aren''t the team for him then there are only a handful of Championship teams who do fit his needed criteria and even then one of them has to be interested in signing him.

Don''t get too big for your boots young man, you were a good player in a great team when we won the championship but you need your ''big boys'' to stand up and be counted when things aren''t going your way and quite frankly mate, you haven''t measured up to that need in the last three seasons.

Sort yourself out 

I was thinking the same thing Jas - a pre-emptive strike by a player who knows he has underperformed this season, and might be watching his back for competition in the squad and new signings in his position.  I think he realises that being at Norwich is as good as it gets for him.

more to Add....

Drury is clearly an intelligent lad and is choosing his words carefully.. but his statement echoes Ashtons "i wont be here after January"

as captain he should be setting an example. by saying "i want to help build long term success at this football club" instead he is basically saying that if we dont get instant results he will scarper.

sign a new contract in May, and we get off to a bad start and struggle so he leaves in January.. is this the sort of captain we want?

He came to the club when we were doing well.. and looked a handy player and was.. but nwo the club is struggling it seems to me that Adam doesnt want to know..

contrast this to Hucks who has taken Wage cuts, expressed his love for the area and his desire to the stay until he retires or the club feels there is no longer a place for him at Norwich City thats the sort of senior player a squad needs!

Drury is basically giving us 2 fingers by saying "If the club isnt successful i will leave... if im not allowed to leave ill throw all my toys out of my pram and lay on the floor kicking and scraming until i get what i want"

Drury is getting idears above his station.. with poor performances and an attitude to boot would he even get a better team than us if he leaves?

He knows the situation at the club, and although Grant wants success if the board goes out and sells Earnie and Hucks in the summer, to stave off loss of the parachute Money then Drurys going to think.. and i quote... "''hang on a minute, we''re selling all the players or getting rid of all the players and no one is coming in, that''s not right''"

Make of that what u want.. but they were his words....to me it seems he is holding out for the big payment.. as captain he isnt going to be a low earner.... and yet is not showing the loyalty a team captain should be.

Take the captaincy away from him and watch him whinge!

i reiterate what i said, your a Mercenary Drury.. plain and simple... i wonder what he will say if we are bottom on September 1st? Grant should go out, sign 2 left backs and send this money Grabber packing!

I have to confess that I didn''t read Drury''s comments in that context.

One quote has been missed out on the original posting, the bit about "kicking up a fuss if he really wanted to in order to get a move." The fact is he didn''t, he stayed.

And another point, if I''m reading it correctly, the Club already have the option of a further year on his contract, it''s always been there, it''s nothing new that has suddenly been offered.

It always puzzles me that supporters query Drury''s defending ability whilst forgetting that for most of his recent career, the man playing in front of him, left midfield, Hucks, doesn''t actually do defending.

He may not be the best left back this Club has ever had, but he''d leave a hugh hole if he actually left.

Drury may not be the greatest or best player wev had, will have or have but hes a damm site better than some of them. The guy gets forward, makes runs, and has a real love for the club. FACT::: How can he possibly impress to much with huckerby in front of him, hucks dont defend so drury when he did take a risk usually lost out due to the fact we did not have a left winger ready to defend. Adam, you will have some cover next season so you can do what you can do! (Does that make any scense) Oh and you talk about passion- He had a tooth knocked out caught it, put it in his pocket and played on through the pain, i no they get paid a bit but he could quite easily have asked to be subbed! WELL DONE ADAM- And thanks for staying cause we NEED you!

Canarie fans, Please can we all get behind our team and love it for what it is and what it can be!! ON THE BALL CITY!

Jas Wrote: "Take the captaincy away from him and watch him whinge!"

The stupidest remark I have read on here in some time.  If you remember Jas, He DIDNT WANT THE CAPTAINCY..... in the first place when Worthy handed it to him this season, AND TRIED TO GIVE IT UP when Grunt was hired.

Unfortunatly Grunt has kept this ridiculous decision going - but he is a very slow learner by the looks of things.

I feel a tad sorry for Drury, even at the weekend the goal came from his side.  Out of position due to the manager Striker Martin failed to cover properly, Drury got dragged to Martin''s man as a result, and the scum took advantage to get in behind Drury.  Drury barely has a bad game, unlike other supposed ''stars'' according to some....  never disappears off the pitch for long periods, never sulks, he is able to hit 5 yard passes, is always solid in defense even if he is not the greatest coming forward.  He has the ability to be a part of a solid back four.

[quote user="GazzaTCC"]

It always puzzles me that supporters query Drury''s defending ability whilst forgetting that for most of his recent career, the man playing in front of him, left midfield, Hucks, doesn''t actually do defending.

[/quote]

and he didnt Defend when we got Promoted either... yet Drury looked a good player then???? so whats different now? The game at this level is starting to pass him by

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

more to Add....

Drury is clearly an intelligent lad and is choosing his words carefully.. but his statement echoes Ashtons "i wont be here after January"

as captain he should be setting an example. by saying "i want to help build long term success at this football club" instead he is basically saying that if we dont get instant results he will scarper.

sign a new contract in May, and we get off to a bad start and struggle so he leaves in January.. is this the sort of captain we want?

He came to the club when we were doing well.. and looked a handy player and was.. but nwo the club is struggling it seems to me that Adam doesnt want to know..

contrast this to Hucks who has taken Wage cuts, expressed his love for the area and his desire to the stay until he retires or the club feels there is no longer a place for him at Norwich City thats the sort of senior player a squad needs!

Drury is basically giving us 2 fingers by saying "If the club isnt successful i will leave... if im not allowed to leave ill throw all my toys out of my pram and lay on the floor kicking and scraming until i get what i want"

Drury is getting idears above his station.. with poor performances and an attitude to boot would he even get a better team than us if he leaves?

He knows the situation at the club, and although Grant wants success if the board goes out and sells Earnie and Hucks in the summer, to stave off loss of the parachute Money then Drurys going to think.. and i quote... "''hang on a minute, we''re selling all the players or getting rid of all the players and no one is coming in, that''s not right''"

Make of that what u want.. but they were his words....to me it seems he is holding out for the big payment.. as captain he isnt going to be a low earner.... and yet is not showing the loyalty a team captain should be.

Take the captaincy away from him and watch him whinge!

i reiterate what i said, your a Mercenary Drury.. plain and simple... i wonder what he will say if we are bottom on September 1st? Grant should go out, sign 2 left backs and send this money Grabber packing!

[/quote]

You have to remember that this is the bloke who earlier in the season rightly pointed out the reason for our failure since relegation-that the squad has been "ridiculously small". I think the point about the "hang on a minute...." quote is that selling players and not adequatly replacing them is what has BEEN happening for the past 2 seasons and Drury has been looking for assurances that this policy is not going to continue/get worse from now on. Don`t lambast the man for seeing the bigger picture a little clearer than you can.

Its interesting that Grant has today stated that the newly relegated clubs will have "10 times as much money" as us, and yet looking back the moment we were relegated all we got from the club was how skint we were and we had to be happy with losing Francis,Jonsson,Helveg and Svennson for mega-bucks and replacing them with erm....Thorne,Colin and Hughes for peanuts. And its been the same old story ever since. It seems that the team captain inside the club can see what the sheep outside it cant-and respect to him for kicking up a fuss.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

Yeah, I''ll be there again, sat on my Plastic Pew........

[/quote]

The local chemist says you can get tablets to sort this out [;)]

[quote user="djcat"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

Yeah, I''ll be there again, sat on my Plastic Pew........

[/quote]

The local chemist says you can get tablets to sort this out [;)]

[/quote]

To swallow, or insert?[:|]