Sign in to follow this  
Smudger

Women Commentators? Monkey Tennis!!!!

[quote user="Cluck "]

I too have balanced "mens work" with "womans work" before even became fashionable....so I think I have perfect grounds to pass opinion on the matter. I know what I can do best as a male...and I am aware that women are better at many things than me....but we are "not" the same and should never pretend that we are. It is like many things in life where the quest for "equality" becomes a quest for "supremacy"...and once the happy balance is lost one side of the dimension becomes more "equal" than the other.

The fact remains that in some avenues of life...in particular men''s sport,  there is no room for women doing what is now their traditional attempt to displace men on "discrimination" grounds. Same old politically correct garbage where "rights" come before ability. I''ve long promoted equality in the home and within my business...but I will never accept subservience...the aim of the feminists who want it all.

No lectures thanks...as my opinion is every bit as valid as yours.  A close look at the disintegration of family life in this country today might well provide evidence that one-sex adults do not make for a happier world.

[/quote]

Your opinion is not valid cluck because you are wrong sexism should not be tolerated in any capacity, it is no different to racism or homophobia. If you were saying the same thing about ethnic minorities playing football saying they should stay out of the sport and had no place playing a white mans game would that be a valid arguement? because there is absolutely no difference between that and what your saying!

"but we are "not" the same and should never pretend that we are. It is like many things in life where the quest for "equality" becomes a quest for "supremacy"...and once the happy balance is lost one side of the dimension becomes more "equal" than the other."

And that quest for equality which leads to the quest for supremacy is precisely what Political Correctness is all about.

By using the excuse of not upsetting anyone, the politically correct are demanding that people behave like the fool who would please everyone; that everyone must become such a fool! All must accept the notions of the Politically Correct as truth, or else! This is the same mentality that inspired the Inquisition and forced Galileo to recant; the same mentality that inspired the Nazis and obtained the Holocaust. Once expression gets placed in a straitjacket of official truth, then the madness that occurs in all totalitarian states is obtained. Life, in private and public, becomes a meaningless charade where delusion thrives and terror rules.

Political Correctness is social dementia and unless plain speaking is allowed, clear thinking is denied. There can be no good reason for denying freedom of expression, there is no case to rebut, only the empty slogans of people inspired by selfishness and unrestrained by morality. The proponents of this nonsense neither understand the implications of what they say, nor why they are saying it.

[quote user="shyster"]

"but we are "not" the same and should never pretend that we are. It is like many things in life where the quest for "equality" becomes a quest for "supremacy"...and once the happy balance is lost one side of the dimension becomes more "equal" than the other."

And that quest for equality which leads to the quest for supremacy is precisely what Political Correctness is all about.

By using the excuse of not upsetting anyone, the politically correct are demanding that people behave like the fool who would please everyone; that everyone must become such a fool! All must accept the notions of the Politically Correct as truth, or else! This is the same mentality that inspired the Inquisition and forced Galileo to recant; the same mentality that inspired the Nazis and obtained the Holocaust. Once expression gets placed in a straitjacket of official truth, then the madness that occurs in all totalitarian states is obtained. Life, in private and public, becomes a meaningless charade where delusion thrives and terror rules.

Political Correctness is social dementia and unless plain speaking is allowed, clear thinking is denied. There can be no good reason for denying freedom of expression, there is no case to rebut, only the empty slogans of people inspired by selfishness and unrestrained by morality. The proponents of this nonsense neither understand the implications of what they say, nor why they are saying it.

[/quote]Ha-ha-ha.A great example of Godwin''s Law in action.

Shyster, there is a difference between Plain Speaking and Unthinking Rudeness.  Nobody minds the first, but most people are against the second one.The "Political Correct" do not exist as a movement in any real sense, it is a label, just like "KTF" was and "la-la loyalist"/"the sheep" are now.  They are first applied to a subject by it opponents when they are too lazy/unable to come up with an actual logical arguement to defend what they are saying, mostly because if they really though about their position from other peoples point of view they wouldn''t have taken it in the first place.Btw the thinking that caused the Holocaust was that the Jews were massively inferior to the Aryian race, which is rather different from trying not to offend people isn''t it.

Wow Shyster! I think I might copy and paste that. I am all for equality of opportunity but also believe our freedoms are being alarmingly eroded and despise micromanagement, political correctness et al. As much as I disagree the views of Smudger and Cluck they are vital for open debate otherwise we never learn and develop and I uphold their rights to expression within the bounds of decency and civility.

[quote]the same mentality that inspired the Nazis and obtained the Holocaust.[/quote]So the Nazis started off with the idea of let''s be nice to minorities, did they ?  Must have missed that one in history lessons...

[quote]the same mentality that inspired the Nazis and obtained the Holocaust.[/quote]

I keep reading this back and I still cannot make sense of it...

A quote from the BBC website todayPaul Armstrong, Editor, Match of the Day:"The dinosaurs probably don''t realise that BBC Football has many women

on the staff. Women have directed our studios for many years, and now

edit programmes, direct outside broadcasts and supervise many of our

match edits, features and analysis sequences every week. I''d challenge

anyone to guess whether any individual part of our output was produced

by a man or a woman. I can honestly say it''s not even an issue, as we

rota our programmes. As Jacqui has just proved, if you know your stuff

and can do the job, your gender is irrelevant."Full article can be found here:http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/sporteditors/2007/04/jacqui_in_the_commentary_box.html

[quote user="Cobain18"]im not sexist - SHE JUST WASN''T VERY GOOD. thats not a slant on women, more of a slant on her.[/quote]Most female newsreaders tend to have low voices, I read somewhere that viewers are more receptive to a lower voice, so if she had a higher voice, that may have put some people off.  That''s not sexism, just the way people are.  I didn''t see the commentary, did she get all the names right ?  I bet Motty was awful for the first 300 or so commentaries he did.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Cobain18"]im not sexist - SHE JUST WASN''T VERY GOOD. thats not a slant on women, more of a slant on her.[/quote]

Most female newsreaders tend to have low voices, I read somewhere that viewers are more receptive to a lower voice, so if she had a higher voice, that may have put some people off.  That''s not sexism, just the way people are.  I didn''t see the commentary, did she get all the names right ?  I bet Motty was awful for the first 300 or so commentaries he did.
[/quote]

yes you''re right actually, she had a high pitched voice which just didnt work, and when she tried to sound enthusiastic it just got even higher. if she had a lower pitched voice she would be a lot better and not get on as many people''s nerves

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]

The bbc would be breaking the law if they discriminated against her on the basis of gender, this is 2007 not 1957 everybody gets treated equally nowadays and quite right too!

The commentry wasn''t great but lets be fair it was her first match hopefully she will improve and pave the way for more women to get involved with football.

[/quote]

Give me strength....... I''m so glad I didn''t fight a war like my father did to end up with a faffy society based purely on "discriminatory rights" above all logic.

Had you lived in the 1950''s and 60''s you might have knowledge of just how pleasant the world was then...and how equal the sexes actually were within society. Since this time women have become ridiculously aggressive in their quest for superiority....and the male gender of 2007 don''t have the guts to stand up for their own status or claim the validity of their existence.

Equality my backside...it''s all about control and you''re simply walking into the valley with your eyes closed.  I wish you luck...but in 100 years time you''ll end up just as subservient as women were in Victorian times....and the circle of "male rights" will then replace the feminist movement.

Men and women are NOT the same....and "equality" is just a scam perpetrated by feminists on the road to domination. Order your large size Marigolds in preparation....as there may well be a shortage looming.

Rudolph, it may be better to cut and paste something that sounds less like the writer is snarling when he worte it.

That kind of rant gets my goat, because while claiming their own right

to say what they like, regardless of any offense it may cause to anyone

or how ill-concieved they are, the author accuses anyone that disagrees

with they''re original views of "being Politically Correct", or worse

"just being Politically Correct". 

This is used to imply, that their opponent

A) doesn''t really believe what they are saying and are just saying it to "fit in".

B) Is ruining the world by expressing these views (as was explicitly stated).

The effect of this accusation is to immeadiately belittle any opposing

views that may be stated, which has precisely the same effect as the

ranter was complaining about in the first place.

The accusations of "just being Politically Correct" normally surface in

an arguement concerning assetions cast at a group of people. They are

mostly made after some attempts at a logical arguement have failed and

by the side that is suggesting one group all have some characteristic.

An example arguement is as follows (slightly abreviated).

A: I say "White Men Can''t Jump".

B: Why?

A: I have evidence: "most basketball players are black".

B: I disagree with the aspertion.

A: You can''t dispute my evidence though. Ha I win.

B: But I''m sure some white men can jump.

[Short Pause]

B: What about Johnaton Edwards, he''s white and holds the triple jump world record.

A: You''re just being Politically Correct and limiting my right to speak plainly as I see things.

B: Huh?

Thats not to say that everything done in the name of Political

Correctness is a good thing however, the renameing of things like

manhole cover and postman are excessive as they do not cause offense to

anybody in particular.  However there are some things that should

have been stopped/renamed because they did cause offense.  The

movement to rename things is generally done by buisnesses in order to

avoid a percieved loss of customers or potentially getting sued about

something that does not mean anything to them or cost any money, For

example, calling postmen "postpeople" probably took the royal mail

about one man hour to change, certainly costing far far less then

calling themselves "Consignia".

The important thing to realise is that: If you are going to give points

of view that are potentially offensive, often due to excessive

stereotyping or generalisation, when lots of people disagree with you

(or take offense) it is most frequently not that they are being

Politically Correct on purpose, just that they disagree with the

stereotype or generalisation that you are using.

I am perfectly behind some of the statements in this thread, such as

that in general women are less interested in football then men, while

while unprovable is accepted However, I don''t believe this statement

applies to ALL women, an thus doesn''t have any bearing on the ability

to commentate or knowledge of the game that one particular woman may

have. 

[quote user="JC"]

Initially I was going to ignore this.  

Have we been through thousands of years of evolution as a race to still see moronic viewpoints such as this.  How is this different to being racist or homophobic?  I agree that women''s football should contain women and men''s football should contain men only, otherwise what is the point in the two different games.  But to describe a person as a ''silly cow'' just for liking a sport enough to have a go at commentating on it is deplorable.

But you did say that you do not care what the derby score is, so I am wondering if a NORWICH CITY message board is the place for you to spit out you bile anyway.

[quote user="Smudger"]

Women Commentators?

Whatever next???

Anybody watch MOTD with the awful lady commentator during the Fulham v Blackburn game?

I had to switch the volume off during it because it was that bad???

Why oh why, oh why do people have to suffer listening to c**p like that because of political correctness gone mad???

Please, please, please will the BBC do away with this silly cow at once???  If she must commentate then let her go and commentate on ladies football (monkey tennis) at least!!!

[/quote][/quote]I hate it when people quote evolution as fact...when it''s only someone''s theory.By the way, I don''t mind woman commentators but they must fulfill two lots of criteria...1) Not sound irratating2) Know what they are talking aboutThe same goes for male commentators...one of which who doesn''t meet the first one is Jonathan Pearce. Why does he have to scream and shout all the time?If Gaby can fulfill both, then others can!

[quote user="Cluck "][quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]

The bbc would be breaking the law if they discriminated against her on the basis of gender, this is 2007 not 1957 everybody gets treated equally nowadays and quite right too!

The commentry wasn''t great but lets be fair it was her first match hopefully she will improve and pave the way for more women to get involved with football.

[/quote]

Give me strength....... I''m so glad I didn''t fight a war like my father did to end up with a faffy society based purely on "discriminatory rights" above all logic.

Had you lived in the 1950''s and 60''s you might have knowledge of just how pleasant the world was then...and how equal the sexes actually were within society. Since this time women have become ridiculously aggressive in their quest for superiority....and the male gender of 2007 don''t have the guts to stand up for their own status or claim the validity of their existence.

Equality my backside...it''s all about control and you''re simply walking into the valley with your eyes closed.  I wish you luck...but in 100 years time you''ll end up just as subservient as women were in Victorian times....and the circle of "male rights" will then replace the feminist movement.

Men and women are NOT the same....and "equality" is just a scam perpetrated by feminists on the road to domination. Order your large size Marigolds in preparation....as there may well be a shortage looming.

[/quote]

I don''t for one second think that feminism is about a quest for domination by all women, but answer me this if it was and if they succeded so what?

last time i looked us blokes aren''t exactly doing a great job of running the world are we? all of the worlds problems are created by men, how many wars have been started by women? how many women have commited genocide? how many women commit murder compared to men? why not give them a chance at power, they can''t do much worse than us!

If men had treated women fairly and with respect in the first place then maybe women would not have needed to fight to get to where they are today and maybe they would feel no need to carry on fighting for superiority as you suggest?

smudger, i run a ladies team here near kings lynn and they said you arewelcome to come and show your talents and prove no woman can run rings round you, just name the date and they look forward to it, so are you up for it?

"I hate it when people quote evolution as fact...when it''s only someone''s theory"

Eh? So you''re saying that evolution isn''t true?

So how did monkeys get to play tennis?

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="Cluck "][quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don''t for one second think that feminism is about a quest for domination by all women, but answer me this if it was and if they succeded so what?

last time i looked us blokes aren''t exactly doing a great job of running the world are we? all of the worlds problems are created by men, how many wars have been started by women? how many women have commited genocide? how many women commit murder compared to men? why not give them a chance at power, they can''t do much worse than us!

If men had treated women fairly and with respect in the first place then maybe women would not have needed to fight to get to where they are today and maybe they would feel no need to carry on fighting for superiority as you suggest?

[/quote]

Hysterical nonsense from either a feminist in Y-fronts or someone who really has been taught life from an entirely feminist point of view.  Women have long been equal in the eyes of enlightened men...and have ruled the home for centuries.  The problem that we have now relate to women seeking domination and control over every aspect of daily life....and while that might be fine for you, it will only happen in my world over my dead body.

If you are infact a "male".....I find it surprising that you have so little respect for your gender. You may well quote a number of negative things males have been involved in (who can deny it)...but shall we discuss the tens of thousands of medical and scientific discoveries made by men?..not to mention great architecture and art etc. etc........

I have a great deal of respect for women and always have...but as an equal...not a controller. 

[quote user="baldyboy"]smudger, i run a ladies team here near kings lynn and they said you arewelcome to come and show your talents and prove no woman can run rings round you, just name the date and they look forward to it, so are you up for it?[/quote]

Tell you what then Smudger, if at least one of the girls fails to take the ball past you more than Twice i will give £50 to a charity of your choice. Im sure Baldyboy is a man of his word and will arrange anything that needs to be done. I''ll even come and watch.

I think its time you showed that you have got balls Fudger. no more Talking and hiding behind crap on the internet.. someones thrown down a challenge to you.. if your as good as u make out you will accept.. what have you got to lose? youd make me, Baldyboy, and this womens team look stupid, a charity is better off. of course your the mighty Fudger.. so you cant POSSIBLY lose to a girl.. can you? are u a man?? or are u just full of crap spouting what u want?

Lets see you make up some cock-and-bull story to try and weedle your way out of it.. im with Baldyboy and the Ladys team!

jas :)

[/quote]

[/quote]You enjoy being awkward dont you?My opinion is, she was awful. Not her, just her voice, put me off.What i dont understand is why the bbc used her. Surely they shouldnt have to prove to the public they use females?hogesar

please give an example, smudger.

i think this thread just shows a whole new host of reasons why smudger and cluck deserve to be laughed at heartily.

i heard her commentary, and yes, it was strange to hear, but only for the first couple of minutes and then i just got used to it. i saw nothing wrong with her commentary at all it was perfectly competent, and resent strongly your suggestion that women should not be allowed to commentate on a men''s game.

people who complain incessantly about ''political correctness gone mad'' whenever there is the slightest change in society are generally the kind of people who would have been resistant to the end of the slave trade, or to women getting the vote. Political correctness is a figment of the imagination of a partially-fossilised reactionary part of society who wish to live in the dark ages due to a general fear of change. It would appear that Smudger and Cluck, as well as a small number of others on this board, fit this category like a glove.

i''m glad i''m not them.

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="7rew"]Cluck, sports are segregated since women have an natural disadvantage in terms of strength due to a lack of testosterone. It is interessting to note that testosterone is a banned substance in womens sport and any man entering would automatically be guilty of using performence enhancing drugs. see East Germany''s swimming team.

What disadvantages do women have in sitting somewhere for 2 hours and talking?  Or are you worried that they may have an advantage?

The ability to commentate on the game is purely down to knowledge of the game and while on average women spend less time thinking about sport then men, at the top end the knowledge will be very similar.  Most commentator being journalists rather than ex-players. 

Also remember that men can have some really stupid ideas about sport - who picked Heskey, Phil Neville (repeatedly) etc for England - They were MEN.  Who chose Steve MacLaren as england manager - a group of Men.
[/quote]

Disadvantages are that it is a mans game.... she is a woman that obviously has never competed in such an environment at any level... also they just don''t have the voice for it.... if she learns how to deepen her voice and plays a few games of footie with us men then people would perhaps take her seriously.

She knew little about football history and players etc from the sounds of it either!!!

[/quote]

I may regret this, but finally I bite… Or rather graze the grass more heavily.

Cluck you mention I presume WW2, but would also include WW1. Surely both wars were not just a battle fought on the battlefield, but also in the workforce. Who played their role there in the factories, fields and many other positions one may ask?

Where do “Women” dominate society in business, politics or even football in your eyes apart from NCFC?

Even why worry if they take over the main roles from us “hunters”. When was the last time you stepped out with a bow and arrow?

Actually enjoy your post, but stop worrying about women taking over the world.

As for the broadcast, alas I had to watch a re-run of Dallas from 1978 and then “how to cook an egg” show….

If she’s good enough, then keep her. If not, then show her the door.

yes, men and women tend to be different and have different talents and attributes, but this is all it is, a tendency. What is wrong with a woman who doesn''t fit in with a general tendency from reaching the position they deserve on merit?

[quote user="Cluck "]

And we wonder why society is so mixed up and disjointed these days? Men don''t know their place...and women just surge on in their quest for superiority and control while the half arsed lady boy generation of 2007 sit by and watch.

How strange that I can sit down quite logically and list many things women do better than men...but still not lose sight of "difference". This generation?  It''s hands up at the slightest hurdle and you roll over like a bunch of naval recruits in Iranian waters. Try watching a few tv adverts these days and see who is represented as either the "idiot"..."wrong" or just plain subserivient to the female. You''ve sadly lost the plot as males of the species in 2007 and that will ultimately be your ruin.....so take heed that once you lose your place in life, you won''t ever get it back again. 

Rather you than me then my dear ladyboys...and I just thank God that I''ll be long dead before "cloning" finally makes the male of the species totally redundant and totally disposable. 

[/quote]

if you were driven out of the room by her commentating, how can you make comments about her lack of footballing knowledge? Is it the same way you manage to dismiss each move made by Peter Grant without ever having seen a game by a Peter Grant-managed team? I think we have a clairvoyant in the house, ladies and gentlemen!

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="macdougalls perm"]I''m wondering if Smudger actually watched the episode in question or stood outside his living room shouting his protests through the door, lol! [:D] [/quote]

It certainly made me switch the sound off and drove me out to the kitchen until it was over... it was that bad MP  [;)]

[/quote]

I''m confused.... You disapprove of ''one-sex adults'' damaging family and society it seems. I''ve met very few adults in my time who have anything other than one sex. It appears we are all guilty.

[quote user="Cluck "]

No lectures thanks...as my opinion is every bit as valid as yours.  A close look at the disintegration of family life in this country today might well provide evidence that one-sex adults do not make for a happer world.

[/quote]

Does anyone know a female professional footballer? It might be fun to test this theory some time. The Pink ''Un could adjudicate.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

i think she must of been nervous too lets not forget.. im sure she will get another chance, will be less nervous and after a while we will hardly notice her...

the Beeb should never of got rid of Barry Davis mind u... but i dont see the problem in a woman commentator and good luck to her...

i knew a girl when i was younger who was probably the best footballer i have ever seen... We used to have this lad live on our street who was a youth defender with Norwich he would skin us all with the ball but as soon as this girl appeared he couldnt get anywhere near the ball.. she would do step overs, drag backs, nut megs, flick the ball with her heel over the lads head and nip roudn the other side to get it before he could.. she had quick feet and a good footballing brain.. when playing at the park or in the streets shed dribble the ball.. stop...do a few keep ups and if anyone came near her she''d drubble the ball again and skin them!

she''d run rings round smudger...  but i have a feeling he''d go home crying because he lost to a "girl"

she was better than a lot of male footballers i have seen.

[/quote]

No girl would run rings around me... and if one did you JAS then you must be as c**p at playing the game as your knowledge of building a successful team is also???

Pick any woman from the ladies England team and I can asure you that even in the unfit state I am in today that she would not be able to dribble the ball around me.  A lot of ladies have good technical ability I will give you that... but to take the ball around me you also need experience, excessive pace and strength as well... Ladies are just not capable of that I am afraid...  Maybe in another 10 years or so (when my legs have completely gone).

She was given the job as a Politically Correct PR Stunt from the BBC that will backfire on them...

As most of the views have pointed out on here... she was useless...

She only got the job because she is a lady, has got blonde hair & a sexy smile...  and Gary Lineker is probably giving her one (the dirty rascal) [;)]

[/quote]

yeh.. because your Fabio Cannavaro arent u Smudger?

so your saying that woman who plays internationally wont be faster than you??? maybe not but if shes got the skill u will not win the ball! im a goalkeeper so im no outfield player, but im willing to bet i could outpace you smudger. and why would u need experiance to take the ball past you? are you a world class defender? no.. are you a coach?? no.. you have played pub football for some tin pot sides... and yet someone who plays at a higher level cant take the ball past u!?

god u talk some bollox mate!

my knowledge of building a succesful team is based on what i see.. not what i THINK is happening.... how can you have an opinion on the club when u rely on Roy Waller who cant tell his backside from his glasses sometimes and Neil Adams who has sat on more Fences than B and Q make in a year!

Smudger the Fudger... talking crap since 2007.

[/quote]

Do you honestly, hand on heart, believe that it was a notion of political correctness which allowed the Nazis to commit their atrocities? If so, I am concerned.

[quote user="shyster"]

[/quote]

Thankyou for your comments on this issue, 7rew. I wholeheartedly agree with your assertion that ''the political correct do not exist as a movement''. The invention of an imagined barrage of banner-waving cultural uniformists censoring our every thought is a complete myth. It is unlikely that in human history such a freedom of speech as we enjoy today through mediums such as the Internet has ever been equalled.

it seems no coincidence to me that the very people advocating protests against Delia are the very same people who have such an ossified view on woman''s place in modern society

[/quote]

[/quote]

This has got to be the most unbelievable thread I have ever read on this board. Is it really 2007?

Cluck / Smudger, I can''t believe your attitude to women. If you aren''t making yourselves a laughing stock because of your outdated beliefs, I will really dispair at the state of this message board. Women have proven themselves more than capable in so many fields previously thought to be mans'' domain, this is just one more. Its not a question of women trying to be men, or of women trying to control men, its a question of women living their life to the full as they wish to. I certainly don''t feel threatened by this, why do you?

Life might have been better for you in the 50s/60s Cluck, but I know of many many women growing up during those decades who would have loved the chance to follow the career of their choice. They look upon the new generation of women with a touch of jealousy for what they have been able to achieve, but also huge amounts of pride. I''m sure you enjoyed having the little woman controlling her kitchen and balancing the housekeeping , but women these days balance global budgets. My girl has an MBA, a very succesful career in IT sales management to a very senior level, and is now starting her own business and I am VERY  proud of her. Why is her fulfilling her potential in life ''political correctness''?

I''m not knocking women who are home makers, a career isn''t for everyone. I also know couples where the man is a house husband and the woman builds her career and earns the money, and this suits them just fine. What we are talking about here is the right for people to live their life as they chose, fulfilling their ambitions and dreams, without the outmoded restrictions placed on people based on the shape of their genitals.

At least we now fully understand your attitude towards Delia. Its just not a woman''s job, being on the board of a football club, is it? Should she just stick to the cooking?