Sign in to follow this  
Smudger

Women Commentators? Monkey Tennis!!!!

Women Commentators?

Whatever next???

Anybody watch MOTD with the awful lady commentator during the Fulham v Blackburn game?

I had to switch the volume off during it because it was that bad???

Why oh why, oh why do people have to suffer listening to c**p like that because of political correctness gone mad???

Please, please, please will the BBC do away with this silly cow at once???  If she must commentate then let her go and commentate on ladies football (monkey tennis) at least!!!

Can''t be as bad as that awful John Motson!

Now he is a man to make you turn the volume off!

Initially I was going to ignore this.  

Have we been through thousands of years of evolution as a race to still see moronic viewpoints such as this.  How is this different to being racist or homophobic?  I agree that women''s football should contain women and men''s football should contain men only, otherwise what is the point in the two different games.  But to describe a person as a ''silly cow'' just for liking a sport enough to have a go at commentating on it is deplorable.

But you did say that you do not care what the derby score is, so I am wondering if a NORWICH CITY message board is the place for you to spit out you bile anyway.

[quote user="Smudger"]

Women Commentators?

Whatever next???

Anybody watch MOTD with the awful lady commentator during the Fulham v Blackburn game?

Why oh why, oh why do people have to suffer listening to c**p like that because of political correctness gone mad???

Please, please, please will the BBC do away with this silly cow at once???  If she must commentate then let her go and commentate on ladies football (monkey tennis) at least!!!

[/quote]

How in hell did the administrators let this idiotic and sexist post to appear on the website absolutely pathetic.

People dont want to listen/read your c**p smudger but we still do esp. as you have sunk to a new low place.

Sums you up Smudger. And removes any last doubt in my mind that you are a pure wind up merchant who cares little for football, decency, NCFC or in fact anything.

School not good to you?

Yes, whatever next? Black players and managers playing the white man''s game?

Get a life Smudger - you''re a dinosaur.

Smudger,to be fair it was strange to hear a lady commentating and it took a bit of getting used to but she was not that bad, and why is she a silly cow? are you really that intimidated by women that just a voice can turn you into a 1930''s bigot!! Come on Smudger stop being controversial for the sake of it.  

[quote user="Smudger"]

Women Commentators?

Whatever next???

[/quote]

What I agree with is that I didn''t think that she came across very well (but perhaps that was because it was so unusual hearing a female commentator on MOTD that it stood out more?).

What I disagree with strongly is your criticism of ''women commentators''. Just because this commentator did not come across well (and surely none of us do anything fantastically the first few times) does not mean that all ''women'' should be kept away from the microphone as your post implies. To call her a "silly cow" to "do away with" is utterly unacceptable. These comments are nothing but sexist and it is sickening. It is not political correctness to say this ... your tone and accusation is deplorable.

What I also found distasteful was Lee Dixon''s patronising comment when they went to him after the highlights. "Yes, well done, I thought she did really well" ... she''s not a 10 year old Fulham fan who''s won a competition she''s a professional commentator. I found that shameful and I am sure that the BBC producers were cringing when they heard it. 

I am sure that my post will provoke a whole barrage of criticism from the whole ''it''s political correctness gone mad'', ''this country''s going to the dogs'', ''immigrants are taking our jobs[but also]taking our unemployment benefits'', ''teachers should be allowed to hit pupils'', Daily Mail brigade and I may be accused of being a wishy washy Liberal student (which I most certainly am not!) but I think what I have said needs to be said. Smudger your volatile and provocative words have gone too far this time and I am embarassed that a post like yours sits on a NCFC discussion site that I like to contribute to and read.

There are far more important football things to talk about on this site today so I have said my piece and this will be the last post I make on this thread. 

Have to admit, Smudger, thay she did sound out of place. Whether this was because I am not used to hearing a woman''s voice commentating on a football game or because she was particularly bad, I don''t know.

Whichever way it is, it appears your bait works well as you have already hooked a few. [;)]

I didn''t hear her commentary, I was too busy washing and hoovering and puttin'' the kids to bed - before I started the pile of ironing.........[:|]

Off to the match now.......the missus said I could go now I''ve done my chores, and she even gave me a couple of quid for a pint.......I''m so very fortunate![:D]

Women doing the housework and stuff? Whatever next!

Listen at the cackling old women on here.

You want total equality?...ok then....let''s do away with women only tennis, golf, football, athletics, swimming, rugby, cricket, darts, snooker etc etc to infinity...and put everyone on equal terms in fully mixed gender sports. That way we will see how "equal" the genders really are....and just how much is being driven by the petty PC brigade in 2007. Can''t see many women winning much on that basis can you?  So where is the reality of "equality"?  The truth is that it doesn''t exist save for in the minds of those who are the weakest and cannot accept coming second.

Stop banging the political correctness drum for Gods sake...because evolution has actually created the differences between the genders the modern day fantasists abhore....the very point made above.  Celebrate the differences rather than pathetically whinge......and that way society might just improve.

Keep women out of men''s sport...and in turn we promise not to disturb their netball.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

I didn''t hear her commentary, I was too busy washing and hoovering and puttin'' the kids to bed - before I started the pile of ironing.........[:|]

Off to the match now.......the missus said I could go now I''ve done my chores, and she even gave me a couple of quid for a pint.......I''m so very fortunate![:D]

[/quote]

Why don''t they just get a 10 year old kid whose balls haven''t dropped yet to commentate next week?

Coz that''s what it sounded like... it was bleedin awful... Her timing was there but she obviously didn''t have a clue as far as the beautiful game goes either.

Love your post MELLO... I am so not sexist... am washing the pots and hoovering the flat now too...

CLUCK spot on again... as usual!!!

KONSTANTIN, DIONYSUS and PHATCANARY... it is nice to see that a few people on here can cut through most of the PC c**p and focus on how poor the commentary actually was!!!

I did not hear Lee Dixon''s comments.... but if he said what he apparently did then it was obviously the BBC''s PC way of saying that she was awful... so why blame him the PC brigade?  He was just saying things in the cotton wool wrapped way that you would like him to...  why if he thought that she was awful should he not be allowed to clearly state that fact over the airwaves???

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]For the same reason that you are allowed to still have draconian viewpoints.  For your information it is now 2007, time to wake up.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

KONSTANTIN, DIONYSUS and PHATCANARY... it is nice to see that a few people on here can cut through most of the PC c**p and focus on how poor the commentary actually was!!!

[/quote]Nobody is arguing how good or bad she was, its the sexist comment of the single white male that has riled people.

hmm, haven''t heard her yet. Although it was mentioned on the Telegraph website yesterday.

My thoughts are:

If she''s good enough then fine, as long as she concentrates on the footie and doesn''t start going on about how nice Lampards legs are.

However, if she''s a substandard commentator then it''s wrong as she''s got the job ahead of fifty better qualified men just because she''s a woman. This would be far more sexist than smudgers above comment, and indeed another example of bonkers PCness.

I''ll reserve judgment until I''ve heard her, and remember there have been female football commentators in Germany and across Europe for years.

Cluck, sports are segregated since women have an natural disadvantage in terms of strength due to a lack of testosterone. It is interessting to note that testosterone is a banned substance in womens sport and any man entering would automatically be guilty of using performence enhancing drugs. see East Germany''s swimming team.What disadvantages do women have in sitting somewhere for 2 hours and talking?  Or are you worried that they may have an advantage?The ability to commentate on the game is purely down to knowledge of the game and while on average women spend less time thinking about sport then men, at the top end the knowledge will be very similar.  Most commentator being journalists rather than ex-players.  Also remember that men can have some really stupid ideas about sport - who picked Heskey, Phil Neville (repeatedly) etc for England - They were MEN.  Who chose Steve MacLaren as england manager - a group of Men.

[quote user="7rew"]Cluck, sports are segregated since women have an natural disadvantage in terms of strength due to a lack of testosterone. It is interessting to note that testosterone is a banned substance in womens sport and any man entering would automatically be guilty of using performence enhancing drugs. see East Germany''s swimming team.

What disadvantages do women have in sitting somewhere for 2 hours and talking?  Or are you worried that they may have an advantage?

The ability to commentate on the game is purely down to knowledge of the game and while on average women spend less time thinking about sport then men, at the top end the knowledge will be very similar.  Most commentator being journalists rather than ex-players. 

Also remember that men can have some really stupid ideas about sport - who picked Heskey, Phil Neville (repeatedly) etc for England - They were MEN.  Who chose Steve MacLaren as england manager - a group of Men.
[/quote]

Disadvantages are that it is a mans game.... she is a woman that obviously has never competed in such an environment at any level... also they just don''t have the voice for it.... if she learns how to deepen her voice and plays a few games of footie with us men then people would perhaps take her seriously.

She knew little about football history and players etc from the sounds of it either!!!

Do you honestly think Motson, Alan Green or Jonathan Pearce have ever kicked a ball in their lives? NO!!

They''re just fat blokes with a penchant for stats. I didn''t think her commentary was any good, but it''s still a damn sight better than anything Motson has ever yelped.

With any luck, she''ll blaze a trail and we''ll get more and better quality female commentators to give the men a run for their money. I don''t see anyone complaining about Gabby Logan???

I heard the commentry on the Fulham and Blackburn game on Match of the Day and my first reaction was "what is this awful commentry?" I don''t think it was necessarily what she was saying which was a problem, but her voice seemed to be too high. It would certainly take a long period of time getting used to. That''s not saying there aren''t some good female commentators working on 5live on the radio, as there are, but they have deeper voices and it sounds more natural. But maybe at the end of the day it''s an issue of credibility. The majority of women I know don''t know a great deal about football and certainly couldn''t hold their own in a debate with me over football and most aren''t even terribly interested in football, so it becomes hard to beleive that the woman commentating is as passionate and knowledgable about football as a man. She might be, but I doubt it. As others have said, equality does not exist in the real world, between sexes or even between people of the same sex, so why try and artificially enforce it? People should get the job on merit. If she was really good enough to commentate, fair play to her, but she just didn''t sound up to the job to me. 

give her 3 or 4 more matches and we wont even notice to be honest.. it did seem odd hearing a female commentate on a football match at first.. btu then it seemed odd having Gabby Yorath present Football on Tv.. but no one give 2 hoots now do they.

jas :)

[quote user="Mook"]

Do you honestly think Motson, Alan Green or Jonathan Pearce have ever kicked a ball in their lives? NO!!

They''re just fat blokes with a penchant for stats. I didn''t think her commentary was any good, but it''s still a damn sight better than anything Motson has ever yelped.

With any luck, she''ll blaze a trail and we''ll get more and better quality female commentators to give the men a run for their money. I don''t see anyone complaining about Gabby Logan???

[/quote]

They may be a fat bloke with a penchant for stats but I am sure that in some stage of their lives they have probably kicked a ball about in mens football?

Yes that may have been only Sunday Morning Park Football... but even at that level you gain some knowledge of how to play the game and the physical stresses & strains that physical competitive activity against other men can place one''s body under...  Something no ''lady'' has any real idea of I''m afraid... and until they compete on an equal stage with their male counterparts then they never will have either...

Like I said if she wants to commentate then she should commentate on womens football (monkey tennis)...

As for Gabby Logan she is c**p too!!!

Alan Green is too fat to move, Jaqui Oatley used to play for Leeds ladies and I bet she''s a better footballer than any other male commentator out there, and probably you and I too Smudger. Well maybe you, I''m amazing at football....  ;-)

If you think geek-of-the-year Motson can kick a ball straight then you''re nuts.

And what the hell does understanding the physical side of things have to do with being able to commentate? Do you think Murray Walker or James Allen have ever driven and F1 car?!

And as for Gabby Logan, give me her over that smug to55pot Lineker anyday. If your voice sounds good you''d make a good commentator, if not then you probably won''t. Judge her on the quality of her commentary - which incidentally I didnt think was very good - rather than blaming it on her sex. It''s irrelevent.

And we wonder why society is so mixed up and disjointed these days? Men don''t know their place...and women just surge on in their quest for superiority and control while the half arsed lady boy generation of 2007 sit by and watch.

How strange that I can sit down quite logically and list many things women do better than men...but still not lose sight of "difference". This generation?  It''s hands up at the slightest hurdle and you roll over like a bunch of naval recruits in Iranian waters. Try watching a few tv adverts these days and see who is represented as either the "idiot"..."wrong" or just plain subserivient to the female. You''ve sadly lost the plot as males of the species in 2007 and that will ultimately be your ruin.....so take heed that once you lose your place in life, you won''t ever get it back again. 

Rather you than me then my dear ladyboys...and I just thank God that I''ll be long dead before "cloning" finally makes the male of the species totally redundant and totally disposable. 

Lets be fair to smudger she did sound dodgy. no im not sexist but does that mean i have to like it? she probably will get better but she sounded awful last night. as for gabby yorath, i dont like her either, not a sexist thing but she does not fit the footy broacasting bill. i do however like and have met kirsty gallagher and helen chamberlin so dont call me sexist, i just didnt like it.

[quote user="macdougalls perm"]I''m wondering if Smudger actually watched the episode in question or stood outside his living room shouting his protests through the door, lol! [:D] [/quote]

It certainly made me switch the sound off and drove me out to the kitchen until it was over... it was that bad MP  [;)]

[quote user="Cluck "]

And we wonder why society is so mixed up and disjointed these days? Men don''t know their place...and women just surge on in their quest for superiority and control while the half arsed lady boy generation of 2007 sit by and watch.

How strange that I can sit down quite logically and list many things women do better than men...but still not lose sight of "difference". This generation?  It''s hands up at the slightest hurdle and you roll over like a bunch of naval recruits in Iranian waters. Try watching a few tv adverts these days and see who is represented as either the "idiot"..."wrong" or just plain subserivient to the female. You''ve sadly lost the plot as males of the species in 2007 and that will ultimately be your ruin.....so take heed that once you lose your place in life, you won''t ever get it back again. 

Rather you than me then my dear ladyboys...and I just thank God that I''ll be long dead before "cloning" finally makes the male of the species totally redundant and totally disposable. 

[/quote]

Hang on Cluck, being a bit harsh on lady-boys aren''t we ?

They do make rather attractive ornaments, especially when draped over a bar in Thailand. There they are quite partial to rolling over with a bunch of naval recruits although, sadly, it''s usually at that point that mis-understandings occur............

Get ready for some more.

OTBC

Our pride at Jacqui''s debut

By Niall Sloane - BBC Head of Football

Match of the Day commentator Jacqui Oatley

Jacqui is the first female commentator to appear on MOTD
The Earth didn''t shift on its axis last night. Match of the Day went on air at 10.30pm and Manchester United''s draw with Middlesbrough led the programme.

Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer and Lee Dixon presented and discussed the issues, closing titles were run before midnight and everyone went home.

Somewhere in there, a woman commentated on a football match on BBC 1. In and around that, a few people lost their sense of perspective.

Jacqui Oatley is a fine young broadcaster with a deep love of football. Working on Five Live, the television production teams noted her work. I spoke to her and then decided to give her a chance on MOTD towards the end of the season.

606: DEBATE

Since regaining the rights to Saturday night highlights nearly four years ago we have sent commentators to all the games we cover. Previous contracts had only allowed commentary on three or four games with the rest done as reportage at the end of the programme.

As a consequence approximately 20 commentators have now worked on the programme. Most work well, a few don''t.

Jacqui deserved a chance and she was given Fulham v Blackburn. We put her name on our normal rota and somehow this reached a tabloid newspaper. Cue Apocalypse.

The phone-ins revved up, the newspapers took a view, and the bloggers blogged.

Dave Bassett opined that: "Commentary is different. You must have an understanding of the game and the tactics, and I think in order to do that you need to have played the game." He also said: "When she commentates at the weekend, I shall not be watching."

He believed that everyone he knew in the game, and Mrs Bassett, agreed with him.

Down the years I have played football with most of the major football commentators in the land. If Dave meant they should have played at the top level, then all of them are in trouble. If he meant that a woman should be able to play as well as a man, then I suspect Dave is in trouble.

One sportswriter felt it was an "insult" to her more established BBC colleagues. Colleagues like Motty actually wished her well. The Premier League (through chief executive Richard Scudamore), Fulham manager Lawrie Sanchez and managing director David McNally, and Blackburn chairman John Williams were intelligent, supportive and generous.

How did she do? She did fine. As well as we thought she would. And like a number of other commentators who start with us, Jacqui will be given more opportunities.

If some people wish to moan while roaming the Earth that''s OK. The programme and all its contributors consider Match of the Day a delight and privilege to work on, and hopefully the viewers continue to enjoy it. Perhaps last night we picked up a few new ones.