Sign in to follow this  
YellowRoad

Injury time ... same old story ... and corners off the line ... or going in the rebound ...

As you said same old story.....i just hope Grant knows what he''s got to do in the summer and that''s to sack this rubbish defence that we have had to put up with for the last three seasons.  If this club is to progress we need a whole new back line + a new goalkeeper for the start of the next campaign.  

nothing to do with the ref. We were second best all afternoon and could and should have been beaten by 4 or 5 clear goals. The midfield and back 4 are far to lightweight and Hughes will never ever make a right full back. I take it that Grant was not watching the same game as me, to bring Eagle on was a joke, he is not strong or clever enough to play against a physical side (or come to that any side). Please, please do not play in such a negative way against Ipsh*t, we need and deserve a positive display..................i fear that with this squad we are going to struggle even more next season.

Beaten by the better side, no doubt about that but would still have had a point out of the game if the ref had been anywhere near average.

Diabolical decision to wave play on when Dublin was taken out late on. But all in all my forecast of a 2-1 defeat was spot on.

No doubt that we were outplayed today.

The manager picked the wrong team. As soon as I knew Martin was in for Dublin I thought we''d be in trouble. Why? Because Chris Martin hasn''t got what it takes to hold the ball up, especially at this level.

I don''t buy into any rubbish about Dion not being able to play 2 games that close together, he''d have put in a performance had he started.

What Martin is good at is running at defenders, twisting and turning with the ball at his feet. But he isn''t cut out to hold the ball up so the ball keeps coming back at us. It''s happened in several matches lately but it doesn''t look like Peter Grant can see it.

I think I''d just about pick Dickson as my man of the match, worked quite hard and scored a great goal. Thought Andy Hughes had a good game too.

West Brom were one of the better sides I''ve seen down here this season though, they looked better than Birmingham did.

Good points about hold-up play GJP - I didn''t have a problem with Martin starting, I do question why Doc, Shackell and everyone else kept lumping the ball up high to him and Hucks throughout the first half. As when Earnie plays, it''spointless. they want the ball on the floor through the channels, or over the top into the space.

I have been critical of Etuhu in the past so fair play to him to have a decent game (two in a row, almost ''consistent''!). Hughes did ok but I would still have given Cave-Brown a chance (why not? There''s nothing to play for)

Fozzy looked lightweight though. Not convinced by him yet.

Strange game though - a draw might have been the fairer result.

[quote user="GJP"]

No doubt that we were outplayed today.

The manager picked the wrong team. As soon as I knew Martin was in for Dublin I thought we''d be in trouble. Why? Because Chris Martin hasn''t got what it takes to hold the ball up, especially at this level.

I don''t buy into any rubbish about Dion not being able to play 2 games that close together, he''d have put in a performance had he started.

What Martin is good at is running at defenders, twisting and turning with the ball at his feet. But he isn''t cut out to hold the ball up so the ball keeps coming back at us. It''s happened in several matches lately but it doesn''t look like Peter Grant can see it.

I think I''d just about pick Dickson as my man of the match, worked quite hard and scored a great goal. Thought Andy Hughes had a good game too.

West Brom were one of the better sides I''ve seen down here this season though, they looked better than Birmingham did.

[/quote]martin looked to be playing just behind hucks, who spent most of the time offside.  i thought martin started well, but he was tackled from behind early on, and maybe was hurting after, becuase i''d agree he didn''t look the same player after and i remarked so to my mates at the time.  imo, martin can hold the ball up, he did so against darren moore when playing derby, so if he can withstand that level of physical presence - he can probably cut it.  however, martin likes to come deep, and as you say run at defenders - his link up play is generally good.  however, too many balls were hoofed up for my liking to relieve pressure, and with hucks and martin up front, that wasn''t a receipe for success. 

thought dicko was below standard required first half, but played better 2nd.we were outfought by a hungry side, who never let us settle on the ball and kept going to the end.  they were on the day, the better side, make no mistake.

About right-back, i thought Hughes was our best player today. And Etuhu was fine.

Fozzy hasnt impresed me much unfortunately.

OTBC

hhhhmmm, hughes did play well, but, he still left their left winger with to much space to work with the ball, time and time again, but there again drury gave the right winger the same as well. All in all, a shocking display, sorry, but it is true.

This was a game we could easliy have won, even though we didn''t deserve to, almost certainly should have drawn, but, the sad fact is, the better team on the day won.

West Brom weren''t too pleasing on the eye, they didn''t create a load of chances, but, they were far more effective than us in most departments. If you rated them man to man against us, they''d have come out on top generally.

On our day, this team can match any within this league, the sad fact is we just aren''t consistent enough and Peter Grant still has much work to do in the summer to create a decent team that can complete week in, week out in this division.

[quote user="sussexcanary"]As you said same old story.....i just hope Grant knows what he''s got to do in the summer and that''s to sack this rubbish defence that we have had to put up with for the last three seasons.  If this club is to progress we need a whole new back line + a new goalkeeper for the start of the next campaign.  [/quote]

i dunno bout the whole defence, or rather we should keep shackell because he throws his body at anything and that is what all good defenders need.

I feel that saying out whole back four needs to go is a bit over the top but definately doherty needs to go; bad marking, constant fouling (infact we were luck not to have more free-kicks against us today) and just sheer idiocy are just a few of his list of major faults. Hughes is not good enough unfortuneatly and never will be and he needs to be replaced. Our midfield was very good i thought until safri went off and it fell all around etuhu. Forthingham is not good enough, i dunae what sort of player he is supposed to be but he can''t do Safri-tackles, etuhu style runs, shots, playmaker balls or hard man graft.Croft... well i wot even bother with him, a waste of cash methinks a poor player really.Oveall today we did well when safri was on. When dublin came on immedieatly there was a huge difference, he is a fantastic player, nobdy can argue about that. Why eagle came on i don''t know, it left our whole team completely un-balanced and poor lappin played 5 different positions today and still had quite a decent game.

[quote user="ridgeman"]I think we are still paying the price of Worthingtons small squad mentality, look at our bench today and who could we bring on to change the game noone. All those that were fit were playing bring on the end of the season and lets see who we can get in.[/quote]

Yea easy aint it keep blaming Worthy, who will you blame next season, you might even bame the person in charge, Grant.

We were seriously outclassed today - probably the first time we have been that outclassed since Reading away last season. 

The baggies dominated midfield and our 4 were ineffectual,  particularly in the first half.  The difference was the quality of the subs - Koumas and Chaplow came on for them and looked like having an impact, while even Safi on an off dayhas more impact than any of our subs. 

Croft looks like he needs a rest, Etuhu vanished again,  Safri was injured from about the 18th min when we went down holding his right calf and never ran fully again so no surprise he eventually more seriously hurt himself,  lappin had his quietest game so far.  Things improved slightly inthe second half but we scored against the run of play and the baggies deserved their win.  Fozzy needs more time on the ball than he gets or is likely to get in this league. 

Up front Matin looked lightweight and like hux suffered from a lack of any service from midfield.  Dion too was completely ineffective up front but was excellent defending at corners.

At the back both full backs suffered from being overworked,  both battled hard without playing well,   Warner did OK, had no chance with either goal and kept us in the game with a couple of decent saves.   Both Shax and doc were overworked and for me the MOTM had to be one of those two,  battled well and gave kamara and ellington very little in the way of chances,  forcing our opponents to little more than a long series of long range efforts.   The first goal seemed to be about slow reactions from the midfield once Fozzy had cleared off the line and the second we sat too deep and again lappin failed to track the overlappin baggie 

GK & full backs,  6, centre backs 7,Midfield 5s Martin 5, hux 6.   

The ref was odd but we didnt deserve anything from the game.