Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Lord Ashcroft (If Only)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?xml=/sport/2006/03/15/sfnwat15.xml

http://www.bbc.co.uk/threecounties/content/articles/2006/03/15/watford_lord_ashcroft_investment_feature.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Ashcroft%2C_Baron_Ashcroft

Don''t know what you all make of this! I guess it''s interesting though. But what makes it really interesting is the article from the Mudlark Column in the FT at that time which I have pasted below. I couldn''t link to it I''m afraid.

Maybe somebody can explain the difference between a PLC and a Private Company because I believe that''s the difference between Watford and Norwich. That difference could be why he invested in Watford instead of Norwich. Anyway, this guy is seriously rich and it would be good if he could be persuaded to invest in Norwich although I don''t think one person can have a stake in two clubs. shame!

Byline: CLAY HARRIS

Lord Ashcroft, Conservative party deputy chairman, is underwriting a Pounds 6.19m rights issue for Watford Leisure, owner of the football club now fourth in the Championship.

The stake in Watford held by Fordwat, his company, could rise from 6.56 per cent to 41.6 per cent under the fundraising.

Ashcroft said he''d fall off his chair if the shareholding reached that level but Fordwat has been given a waiver not to have to make a full bid even if it does.

He said the deal was a commercial transaction with a "nice group of people". Watford''s directors include Andrew Wilson, one of his business associates.

Ashcroft''s own primary football loyalty, however, remains with Norwich City.

But if you think the offside rule is complicated, consider the recent history of Watford''s shares. Two years ago, existing shares were consolidated on a 1,000-for-1 basis. Now, each will be subdivided into one ordinary and nine deferred; the latter will be cancelled to eliminate the deficit on the profit-and-loss account.

Watford plans to review whether to remain on Aim.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Maybe somebody can explain the difference between a PLC and a Private Company

[/quote]

In a nutshell, the difference between a PLC and a privately-owned business is that shares in a PLC can be traded publicly on the market.

Archant, for example, is a private company, because although there are shareholders, it isn''t listed on the stockmarket and the shares aren''t traded on an index such as the FTSE.

But a company such as HSBC is a PLC, and that means you can get your stockbroker to buy you a piece of the company - in other words, buy you some shares. The price of the shares when you buy them obviously affects how much it will cost you.

Bet you''re pleased you asked now . . .

Far be it from me to suggest that he''s been given the cold shoulder by Delia & Co . . . If he really is a City fan I find it very hard to believe that he didn''t even consider investing in the club he supports before moving on to Watford.

Fans Eye - That''s what I thought the difference was. My shares in NCFC are only worth what somebody is willing to pay for them where as if it was a PLC the value would go up and down with the worth of the club. So I guess Norwich City shares are not an investment as such but the majority shareholder would probably get back their initial investment if somebody else wanted, for want of a better word, the "trainset". Years ago when it looked like there could be a "power struggle" between Robert Chase and Jimmy Jones the dream senario would have been my 25 shares holding the balance of power! They would have been valuable then for sure!!

Mystic - I didn''t post this with that in mind although I guess it''s possible. I think it''s far more likely that NCFC is not seen as an investment opportunity in the same way as Watford. If your senario was true then I would be as disappointed as you, believe me!

Nutty, I''ve had a trawl through some other sites and cannot find any other reference to Michael Ashcroft being a Norwich fan or having any connection with the Fine City at all.  I tend to think it''s a mistake, bloody journalists . . . 

I see he''s now got a 42% controlling interest in Watford but isn''t on the board (though his representative is).  His estimated personal wealth is c. £820m.  Among numerous investments he owns a bank in Belize, not that I''m suggesting for a minute that he could be a bit dodgy . . . 

[quote user="mystic megson"]

Nutty, I''ve had a trawl through some other sites and cannot find any other reference to Michael Ashcroft being a Norwich fan or having any connection with the Fine City at all.  I tend to think it''s a mistake, bloody journalists . . . 

I see he''s now got a 42% controlling interest in Watford but isn''t on the board (though his representative is).  His estimated personal wealth is c. £820m.  Among numerous investments he owns a bank in Belize, not that I''m suggesting for a minute that he could be a bit dodgy . . . 

[/quote]

He went to Norwich School. That''s the connection.

You don''t have to suggest he could be a bit dodgy, isn''t "Michael Ashcroft, Conservative party deputy chairman" enough to give you a big hint in that direction. (what with Archer having had that job as well)

Michaela Ashcroft used to show the boys her knickers at Sprowston Junior School in 1962.  No connection...but interesting in it''s own way I guess.     [<:o)]

[quote user="Cluck "]Michaela Ashcroft used to show the boys her knickers at Sprowston Junior School in 1962.  No connection...but interesting in it''s own way I guess.     [<:o)][/quote]

Just as a matter of interest was she a student or a teacher?

Sadly she was only seven years old like the rest of us....and the price we boys had to pay in return was far greater.   [;)] 

Mystic - I had to hunt really hard to find the mudlark article in the FT online. The FT is a subscription service but I found it through "access my library". It was first brought to my attention as a photocopy from the printed paper and the headline was "Canary comes to aid of Hornets". I doubt Ashcroft is the kind of supporter who goes to games otherwise somebody would have noticed him before now. If he went to the Norwich School I rather suspect he is the kind of supporter who maybe checks our result first.

I just thought I would throw Dame Peggy Ashcroft into the mix! She was one of the greatest British Stage Actresses and featured in films such as The 39 Steps, Passage To India and Jewel In The Crown.

[quote user="mystic megson"]

Far be it from me to suggest that he''s been given the cold shoulder by Delia & Co . . . If he really is a City fan I find it very hard to believe that he didn''t even consider investing in the club he supports before moving on to Watford.

[/quote]

Lord Michael Ashcroft, the millionaire businessman and deputy chairman of the Conservative party, has taken control of promotion-chasing Watford following a £6.2 million share issue at the Championship club.

He said: "I have a track record of backing entrepreneurial businesses and helping the right kind of management teams realise their ambitions. Watford is a good business that is making steady progress.

All is revealed Mystic in the two extracts copied above from the first referenced article in the Telegraph!!!

Obviously NCFC under the present ownership & leadership is not ''a good business making steady progress''. It is merely a rather lucky lady''s dolly house.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="mystic megson"]

[/quote]

Lord Michael Ashcroft, the millionaire businessman and deputy chairman of the Conservative party, has taken control of promotion-chasing Watford following a £6.2 million share issue at the Championship club.

He said: "I have a track record of backing entrepreneurial businesses and helping the right kind of management teams realise their ambitions. Watford is a good business that is making steady progress.

All is revealed Mystic in the two extracts copied above from the first referenced article in the Telegraph!!!

Obviously NCFC under the present ownership & leadership is not ''a good business making steady progress''. It is merely a rather lucky lady''s dolly house.

OTBC

[/quote]

Absolutely spot on Bly.  No one in their right mind would touch NCFC with a barge pole right now....but when DS does eventually throw in the napkin, the truth about spurned investors will come to the fore. Mandaric will have looked closely at City before going ahead with Leicester...but what would be the point of him pursuing any serious interest?  He has selected Worthington as his manager....so he has obviously been watching his progress over time at Carrow Road. 

Pure coincidence?