Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

Drury cost us the game again!

im fed up of him.. he is Crap im afraid!

he watched the ball go over his head then failed to react as they went on to score.. if he closed his man down, attempted to jump or even put a foot in we could of come away with a point today...

he has been exploited time and time again this season, its got NOTHING to do with Darren Huckerby being infront of him.. we got promoted with hucks being infront of Drury...

Since we got promoted Adam Drurys performances have declined rapidly.. right up to the point teams attack down his side constantly knowing they will get the crosses in and eventually the goals..

i read on here people criticising Colin and hughes for the goals down that flank but how many goals come from Drurys side.. his positioning has gone to pot, he loses concentration, he bottles challenges and seems generally to light weight to play in this division... im sorry to say it but he came from League 2 and at times it looks like he should still be in league 2... We have no other Left back at the club.. so Drurys lace is assured...

I think Peter Grant should take a long hard look at this position in the summer... if we are to challenge then we need a defender who can actually defend.. not a winger who ponces about at left back.. Drury is better going for3ward than he is defending now.. a Winger.

Time to strip him of the armband and stick him on the bench I think..

jas :)

He didnt have his best game today, but it was hardly all his fault, he wasnt the only one who didn''t play well. Get off his back for christs sake!!!

He hasnt been "exploited time and time again this season" , he''s been average, no worst than most but not miles better either.

Why did we lose?, not because of Drury but because WBA (as much as i hate to say it) were a good team, the best we''ve seen at Carrow Road this season, much better than us. We Lost because our defenders (all of them) didnt mark well (e.g. Kamara umarked), we didnt defend set pieces well (e.g. all the free headers they had from corners, Sodje''s goal), we lost because we sat to deep (everybody!!!) and that we had no creativity!, not just Adam Drury!!!

Teams do not target our Left hand Side, if i was an opposition manager and i saw a left side for example of lappin and Drury with huckerby on that side, or a right side of Hughes and Croft i know i would be targeting the city right, i would be trying to keep the ball away from areas where Huckerby is dangerous.

Simon Lappin, last time i looked he was able to play left back.

Oh and you would drop him when we have no other left back in the club (apparently), either though that would mean playing someone out of position, something you dont agree with, because Drury''s a winger. How Contadictory!!!

Totally agree, man of the match more like idiot of the match, Etuhu was clearly the better player out there today, or anyone else for that matter!

i didnt see anything of the game yet i can beleive every word of this. he runs away from the attackers and thats fine if you guide them to the corners and then put a tackle in but he jus runs away straight into the box and doesnt make a tackle. he is too weak even for the norwich defense.

[quote user="Dicky"]

Another vendetta Jas?

Drury is a good player.

[/quote]

Drury WAS  a good player Dicky.

I dont have a vendetta against the bloke but he needs a swift hard kick up the rear end.

unfortunately we cant drop him until we have another left back so are stuck with him till august.

Bit harsh, seeing as it was Drury who crossed for Etuhu to give us the lead!

Not try to defend Drury always but he was selected the Man of the match, I was not the match sponsor yesterday so it should not be my choice to choose him. I am not sure why he was always be blamed "he was not the good player a few years ago"? OF COURSE he''s not, because he was a few years old but more experienced. People forget he lost a tooth during yesterday game and that surely caught him some attention out, but you just cannot blame him because, did you ever lost a tooth during a game and, what will you react? I don''t know but it must be uncomfortable.

[quote user="Slim"]Bit harsh, seeing as it was Drury who crossed for Etuhu to give us the lead![/quote]

which proves my point about him being better going forwards than he is defensively

[quote user="Dicky"]

Another vendetta Jas?

Drury is a good player.

[/quote]

Agree yet agion Dicky, He is a solid left back, not spectacular coming forward but who crossed for our goal Monday?? 

He is no captain however, but with a leading figure in the defense he has proven he can form part of a solid back line at this level.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Dicky"]

Another vendetta Jas?

Drury is a good player.

[/quote]

I dont have a vendetta against the bloke but he needs a swift hard kick up the rear end.

unfortunately we cant drop him until we have another left back so are stuck with him till august.

[/quote] Maybe not a vendetta but you certainly have an obsession with young Adam!!!

I can''t be bothered to repeat all that i said when you ran a similiar thread about 2 weeks ago so look at that if you want my view.  I thought Drury had a good first half and an average second.  He had a tooth kicked out for Chrissakes.  You try that and see if you can finish the day''s work to your usual standard!!!!

There were unsurprisingly some understanding issues between him and Shackell in the last third of the game.

I still think he is worth his place.  Contrary to what you keep insisting, he has had competition for the last four seasons (Brennan, Charlton, Shackell, Lappin and even Hughes!!). He makes the team because he is good enough.

And, I still think that the best single performance I have seen this season by a Canary (not the best player, player of the year or anything else - just the best single performance) was Drury at home against Cardiff.  He was magnificent that day.

I look forward to replying to your next thread on Drury''s failings which should be due in about 10 days time.

I agree with Jas, Drury just isn''t good enough, i''d prefer Lappin down the wing

he''s gutless compared to most defenders in the league, and far too soft - and he''s supposed to be our captain, what a joke.

Drury has been one of many under performers this season, and being brutally honest I wouldn''t mind if Drury or any of the following were replaced:

Gallagher, Doherty, Hughes, Etuhu, Fotheringham, Croft, Thorne.

Clear out the time wasters and bring in some new players please!

Sometimes you only realise how good a job is being done when that player isnt there - and while Juke box isnt standing out at the mo,  we certainly look better defensively with him at the back than without,  and have done for the last season or two - any replacements have looked very weak,  including Lappin

It was the same with Martin yesterday - not really sure what he did but we look better with him up front than dion,  probably just the movement thing.

we have anothe rubbish in our aquad as it is, we need enough new player as it is, with limited resources and thats before trying to replace player slike drury who dont really need replacing. if we had million to spend then you may look at that postion, but then we''d be looking at every position; we havent got million however and drury is not exactly high on my worries at the moment!

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Dicky"]

Another vendetta Jas?

Drury is a good player.

[/quote]

[/quote] Maybe not a vendetta but you certainly have an obsession with young Adam!!!

I can''t be bothered to repeat all that i said when you ran a similiar thread about 2 weeks ago so look at that if you want my view.  I thought Drury had a good first half and an average second.  He had a tooth kicked out for Chrissakes.  You try that and see if you can finish the day''s work to your usual standard!!!!

There were unsurprisingly some understanding issues between him and Shackell in the last third of the game.

I still think he is worth his place.  Contrary to what you keep insisting, he has had competition for the last four seasons (Brennan, Charlton, Shackell, Lappin and even Hughes!!). He makes the team because he is good enough.

And, I still think that the best single performance I have seen this season by a Canary (not the best player, player of the year or anything else - just the best single performance) was Drury at home against Cardiff.  He was magnificent that day.

I look forward to replying to your next thread on Drury''s failings which should be due in about 10 days time.

[/quote]

imhoping your referring to the thread where i had prasied his performances since Lappin had arrived?

Can''t agree that Drury cost us the game......

True he made one or two errors but the whole City team''s display had '' end of season '' written all over it. The supporters know we''re safe, the team know they''re safe so nobody seemed particularly '' up for it ''.

Besides WBA were by far the better team and it would have been an injustice if they hadn''t got the three points yesterday. I can''t remember many occasions when that opinion was almost universally accepted by people I spoke to on the way out of Carrow Road and in the pub afterwards.

No real surprise that Albion won......... they needed the points.

O dear Dury is the scapegoat now,what utter rubbish he is a good left back ,and how you can say he is better going foward than he is defending is beyond me i would say it is the complete reverse it''s his final ball when in good crossing postions that lets him down and seperates him form being a good leftback to a great leftback .

for the last goal, perhaps all the defence looked suspect.drury - allowed gera time and space to pick out a dangerous cross between defence and keeper.warner - stayed rooted to line, made no attempt to meet cross, - cud he have done better??? probably not, he had no chance with well placed header though.shax, hughes and doc - were in a defensive line together, but didn''t see the danger of the goalscorer, and made no attempt to either follow him, or meet the cross.  result, stooping free header 6 yards out, placed right of warner.  easy peasy.all in all, drury is still worth his place imo.  however, for me, he''s the only auto choice.  the others don''t cut it consistently enough.  if we can''t stops the goals, we won''t go up next season.

It''s drury''s fault that all of the other players didn''t bother to mark players i guess. seems like he needs to pick the doc up and move him next to his player.

Jas

I can not agree with you more, Drury is not the sole reason we are one again in the bottom half of the league but he is a major contributor. For goal one he messed up a simple pass that led to WBA rushing down the other end and getting the corner that led to the equaliser. On the second goal he was several yards from his marker and not pushing out of the area.

I never saw him motivate the team which he should do as captain and WBA sussed out at half time he was the weak link and time and again got thru him in the second. There must be someone in the squad better than him.

What worries me is Peter Grant could not see this and replace him. Our back four are still not working well together. How often do they get offside decisions WBA got loads which broke up attacks but you need to be confident and led by someone in the back four.

As you point out competition for places is so important and Drury has none, look how Etuhu''s form has improved since he has someone waiting in the wings. So this is the last year of parachute payments and once again we are nowhere and to be honest I do not think Grant will get us anywhere either. I have been astounded how our central defence has been shored up by Dublin with no real quality in reserve and yet Grant has got no one in. If there had been any serious injuries we could have ended up in real trouble in a relegation dog fight with reserve defenders.

I hope Grant can turn things around but the signs are not good. I thought at half time against WBA he would sort it out and we would get a better performance but instead nothing changed. He must realise that although the players can perform badly its the manager who needs to take the blame for lack of organisation motivation and confidence shaown against WBA.

CJ

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Sometimes you only realise how good a job is being done when that player isnt there - and while Juke box isnt standing out at the mo,  we certainly look better defensively with him at the back than without,  and have done for the last season or two - any replacements have looked very weak,  including Lappin

It was the same with Martin yesterday - not really sure what he did but we look better with him up front than dion,  probably just the movement thing.

[/quote]Precisely Zipper - have you all forgotten Colchester? And every other game he''s not played in. You may moan about him now (and David HK Footy makes a good point about him playing against WBA having had a tooth knocked out of his head which is bound to knock his performance a touch!) but the fact is no-one has been able to fill his boots when he''s not there. I agree we need competition in there but we''d be chucking the baby out with the bath water if we got rid of him.