Sign in to follow this  
mbncfc

WORTHY NEW MANAGER OF LEICESTER!

Having read some Leicester message boards and forums, the majority seemingly aren''t very happy with this appointment of Worthington, and want someone else for next season.

[quote user="StainesCanary"]

Errrmmmm.. Wasnt Martin O''Neill manager at Leicester after he left us all those years ago??

Anyone know how that game went?

OTBC!

[/quote]Correct, O''Neill went to Leicester and we played them straight after that. We lost 3-2 after being two up. I remember it well. The game was a perfect microcosm of that whole season - O''Neill gave us a great start, then left, and it all went t*ts up. I can still feel the pain now - the double whammy of losing a manager who we knew even then was special and then losing the subsequent game in that manner, hammered home the feeling that the club had just taken a giant leap backwards. I''m not sure i''ll ever be able to forgive Chase for the part he played in MONs departure.

[quote user="a1canary"][quote user="StainesCanary"]

Errrmmmm.. Wasnt Martin O''Neill manager at Leicester after he left us all those years ago??

OTBC!

[/quote]Correct, O''Neill went to Leicester and we played them straight after that. We lost 3-2 after being two up. I remember it well. The game was a perfect microcosm of that whole season - O''Neill gave us a great start, then left, and it all went t*ts up. I can still feel the pain now - the double whammy of losing a manager who we knew even then was special and then losing the subsequent game in that manner, hammered home the feeling that the club had just taken a giant leap backwards. I''m not sure i''ll ever be able to forgive Chase for the part he played in MONs departure. [/quote]Correction, we played them after he had resigned. Confirmed as Leicester boss a week later as it happens. Still bitter though!!

[quote user="StainesCanary"]

OTBC!

[/quote]My thoughts exactly!  I remember that game well.  We were 2-0 up and looking comfortable for it after 30 mins, but then Leicester get a goal back - from a free kick.  Second half it all falls apart and they win 3-2!  Seem to recall Ullathorne and Prior having a shocker in that second half.  Gutted I was, because I live in Leicester and knew that next week I was going to have to ride neighbourly taunts! Jeez, I hope we win on Sat or my neighbours will be gloating again!It''s interesting that in explaining Rob Kelly''s sacking Mandaric said that the Leicester team showed a lack of passion! So Worthy is the answer?  It''s going to be interesting to watch this develop in Leicester - I''m looking forward to hearing all those old Worthy cliches about honesty and work rate on Leicester Sound!  Jules

[quote user="Jules"][quote user="StainesCanary"]

OTBC!

[/quote]

My thoughts exactly!  I remember that game well.  We were 2-0 up and looking comfortable for it after 30 mins, but then Leicester get a goal back - from a free kick.  Second half it all falls apart and they win 3-2!  Seem to recall Ullathorne and Prior having a shocker in that second half.  Gutted I was, because I live in Leicester and knew that next week I was going to have to ride neighbourly taunts! Jeez, I hope we win on Sat or my neighbours will be gloating again!

It''s interesting that in explaining Rob Kelly''s sacking Mandaric said that the Leicester team showed a lack of passion! So Worthy is the answer?  It''s going to be interesting to watch this develop in Leicester - I''m looking forward to hearing all those old Worthy cliches about honesty and work rate on Leicester Sound! 

Jules
[/quote]

Have listened to the press conf from earlier, in which Worthy has already stated that he wants "passion and honesty" from his players.

Just waiting for "good energy" now [;)]

Thats it, thanks. I think looking back at it now the years following Martins departure I was upset too and lost interest, sad to say I know, but I just was depressed with it all and blotted most out of my head, just like with a dodgy bunny boiling ex, I just wanted to stick my head in the sand and get away from it all.

Spooky how its sort of lighting striking twice in the way the our ex-managers have gone to Leicester and they are our first game as its their first in charge, but hopefully its not striking twice in the way of the scoreline. Also because as am in Teneife Saturday with a Leicester Fan so watching that will be fun..

Oh well, need to win this one big time!

OTBC!

Am I the only one praying and hoping to God that Worthy gets the job full time, and actually pays money to take back some of the dross + rubbish he bought here.

Oh - and Jason Jarrett is there.. bet he cant wait to team back up with a guy who rated Andy Hughes over him. Good luck to Leicester. They need it.

Here we have the chance to judge Worthington when properly backed by a decent Chairman...and no doubt given his own choice of signings without the "prudent" apron strings of DS and Co. attached in every case.

I''ve a feeling he will do ok....and we will finally get to see just who really was to blame for the shambles of the Worthington era at Carrow Road.

I can see Delia walking the plank as Worthington gleefully rubs the salt into the Smith and Jones faithfuls'' wound.

[quote user="Jules"][quote user="StainesCanary"]

OTBC!

[/quote]

My thoughts exactly!  I remember that game well.  We were 2-0 up and looking comfortable for it after 30 mins, but then Leicester get a goal back - from a free kick.  Second half it all falls apart and they win 3-2!  Seem to recall Ullathorne and Prior having a shocker in that second half.  Gutted I was, because I live in Leicester and knew that next week I was going to have to ride neighbourly taunts! Jeez, I hope we win on Sat or my neighbours will be gloating again!

It''s interesting that in explaining Rob Kelly''s sacking Mandaric said that the Leicester team showed a lack of passion! So Worthy is the answer?  It''s going to be interesting to watch this develop in Leicester - I''m looking forward to hearing all those old Worthy cliches about honesty and work rate on Leicester Sound! 

Jules
[/quote]

I was at the game the day O''Neill walked out (and NO it wasn''t the last game that I attended you cheeky few)...

O''Neill walked out that very day with strong rumours linking him to the vacant job at at Leicester because he was p*ssed off with the fact that there was no money there for him to sign Dean Windass despite Chase promising him enough money to sign Windass and several other players only 5 months earlier (these rumours that were confirmed a few days later).

I too was sickend by O''Neill joining Leicester (as I grew up in Leicestershire too JULES)...

I Wish Worthy all the best.... but why, why, why did you have to choose Leicester Nigel???  Anybody other than Leicester and the scum and I would of hoped with all my heart that you would do a great job... but if you done really well with Leicester then I would have mixed feelings at best I am afraid!!!

As for Paul Ince I agree SOB... If I was looking for a new boss right now... then he would be at the very top of my hitlist.  He has done a great job keeping Macclesfield in Div 2 since taking charge, he is a fantastic motivator and what better name could you wish for when it comes to attracting potential new players to your club???

Can you imagine the damage that a Milandaric/Ince Dream Team could inflict upon sides in the Championship next season???

[quote user="Rasputin was a C..."]Why are there two threads with exactly the same posts on both? Just wonderin'' [:)]
[/quote]

Why do you need such a huge picture at the bottom of your posts?

i want to wish him luck.. i think he deserves it, fair enough he out stayed his welcome but his inexperience as a manager showed when we were in the premiership.. i''m sure he''s learnt from that. Every managers brought their fair share of rubbish. he brought us our best times of the last decade so cut him some slack. But i do hope we hammer them on sat!! 2-1 martin and croft!

[quote user="Cluck "]

Here we have the chance to judge Worthington when properly backed by a decent Chairman...and no doubt given his own choice of signings without the "prudent" apron strings of DS and Co. attached in every case.

I''ve a feeling he will do ok....and we will finally get to see just who really was to blame for the shambles of the Worthington era at Carrow Road.

I can see Delia walking the plank as Worthington gleefully rubs the salt into the Smith and Jones faithfuls'' wound.

[/quote]

Here''s hoping hey Cluck???   oh how I do hate Leicester though!!!

I hope he and Livermore lose all 5 of Leicester''s remaining games this season and gets them relegated !!!

A note to Milan Mandaric -don''t give him a penny to spend or he will p*ss your money up the wall like he did here over the past 3 years, unless of course you allow him to take Hughes off our hands and right that particular wrong doing.

Worthington Out !

[quote user="mystic megson"][quote user="BallymenaMan"]

Not yet. He has said that he wants to manage NI at some stage. My information is that Leceister moved quickly for Nigel when Sanchez took the Fulham job before discussions between NI and Nigel (about post-Sanchez era) progressed ....

[/quote]

. . . and it appears Worthy is only in charge of Leicester on a caretaker basis until the end of the season.  Sounds like that was his decision, and he wants to keep his options open.  Very interesting.

[/quote]

Nigel is just earning a bit of cash before he goes on an inter-railing holiday around Europe during the summer months.

Really hope things work out for Nigel. I hear if he sorts them out and gets results in these 5 games then the job is his.

All things considered he did pretty well for Norwich and Peter Grant has got a long way to go to live up to what he did for this club.

Too many people can only remember a few bad months and some dodgy signings. They seem to forget that great day out at Cardiff, winning the league and then playing Premiership football.

[quote user="GJP"]

Really hope things work out for Nigel. I hear if he sorts them out and gets results in these 5 games then the job is his.

All things considered he did pretty well for Norwich and Peter Grant has got a long way to go to live up to what he did for this club.

Too many people can only remember a few bad months and some dodgy signings. They seem to forget that great day out at Cardiff, winning the league and then playing Premiership football.

[/quote]

That is very true.  Peter has got to work immensely hard this summer to bring in the kind of quality Worthington brought in with the likes of Louis Jean, Hughes, Colin, Etuhu, Thorne, Boyle, Lisbie, Jarrett, Rehman, Robinson.... Phew work cut out.  Also Peter needs to sort out our youth policy.  He appears to be of the illusion that playing kids or sending them out on loan will some how make them better players!  Ludicrous!  He also needs to sort out the general atmosphere between the fans and general anomosity between supporters and to the board.  I mean for goodness sake, when did we last have a protest??

A long way indeed

[quote user="DumbleDelia is Magic"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

That is very true.  Peter has got to work immensely hard this summer to bring in the kind of quality Worthington brought in with the likes of Louis Jean, Hughes, Colin, Etuhu, Thorne, Boyle, Lisbie, Jarrett, Rehman, Robinson.... Phew work cut out.  Also Peter needs to sort out our youth policy.  He appears to be of the illusion that playing kids or sending them out on loan will some how make them better players!  Ludicrous!  He also needs to sort out the general atmosphere between the fans and general anomosity between supporters and to the board.  I mean for goodness sake, when did we last have a protest??

A long way indeed

[/quote]

I''m probably going to judge Grant on what we do on the pitch and where we are in the league (based on the resources he''s given). Sending a few duff youth players out on loan doesn''t really make it for me.

Hopefully Peter Grant will also be able to bring players with the quality of Huckerby and Earnshaw to this club. I''ll then focus more on the good signings he''s made and accept that everyone makes mistakes.

Personally, I don''t bear any ill will to Worthy nor have any desire to see him fail.  He achieved the high point of the last ten years and then threw it away leaving the club in the same condition as when he found it.  That is still better than others might have managed.   He did not really perform for City after the celebration night at City Hall.  A better manager would and could have kept us up.

All that this says to me is that he is a mediocre manager with limited ability.  His man management skills are deficient to say the least.  The next few years will be interesting.  I expect to see him turn into a Tony Pulis type Championship manager - able to survive in this league but without the flair or people skills to take himself or his team higher.  He will be a better bet to avoid relegation than to achieve promotion.

Without becoming obsessive, I will be watching.  Leicester will avoid relegation this season and if he stays will be top half next.  They will not be serious contenders for promotion.

Not since the first leaving of Mike Walker has a manager left City for greater things and I don''t think Worthy will change that run.

Small world Smudger!  Where did you live?  I''m over in Knighton, Leicester - been living here since 1986 when I came to Uni here.  As much as I hate the Scum (I also had the misfortune of growing up near Ipswich - Alan Brazil used to live in our village ), Leicester

Small world Smudger!  Where did you live?  I''m over in Knighton, Leicester - been living here since 1986 when I came to Uni here.  As much as I hate the Scum (I also had the misfortune of growing up near Ipswich - Alan Brazil used to live in our village ), Leicester have 2nd place in the darkest place of my heart.  It''s an ok place to live but I do dislike the ''Lesstor'' accent!

[quote user="DumbleDelia is Magic"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

A long way indeed

[/quote]

The original post did actually acknowledge the poor finish to worthington''s career at city so i don''t quite know what the point of your response is?????

Everybody knows he f**k*d it up in the end but I think if you read again GJP is saying that worthington got us to the play off finals and won the league and that despite the poor last couple of seasons grant needs to be aiming for at least the same before he can be rated alongside worthington.

It''s simply fascinating. I would always have wished Nigel luck in his new role, but it is certainly going to be an interesting five games.

Of course I expect them to stay up. They do have a few points and a game in hand on the teams below. But it would be very funny if they did get relegated, probably more to do with Mandaric than Worthy...

As others have said, if he did get the opportunity to spend some money with them then I will be very curious to see how he spends it and the team he builds. NW''s record with money was mixed, and his management record is up and down too.

I am sure Leicester will win on Saturday, but it would be very sweet if they didn''t of course...

has he mentioned "situation" or "Stuck to the taaask" in a ny interviews yet!

Good luck Worthy

seems an act of desparation on worthy''s part - contract to the end of the season???  its no lose for mandaric - i can''t see leicester failing to get the 3 points plus they need to be safe. worthy has taken a gamble imo because there''s no sign of a plum job coming up for him - so he''s using it as stepping stone to get himself in the shop window. he''s hoping to turn leicester around and get rewarded with a longer contract with them, or with another club impressed by the job he does there.  the leciester job is all about worthy seeking to renew his reputation.however, if he bombs - he won''t get the job at the end and who else will take him on???its a difficult situatshun for worthy - make or break i''d say, between managing a champs/prem side next season of a league1/2 side. 

And to think I would have welcomed Mandaric and his huge bank balance into Carrow Road. He can afford the best... and he ends up with the man that left Norwich City in the sewer.

[quote user="charlies dad"]And to think I would have welcomed Mandaric and his huge bank balance into Carrow Road. He can afford the best... and he ends up with the man that left Norwich City in the sewer.[/quote]

It has always been slightly blurry from Portsmouth fans as to who had the greater effect - Harry or Milan?

Personally I do not feel there are any guarantees that MM will achieve success at Leicester without Harry as his manager. Several Pompey fans questioned many of MM''s decisions. Alain Perrin anyone??

Worthygate clearly makes things interesting in terms of how well he does, but it was a few months ago when I decided I wanted it to go t*ts up at Leicester

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

Personally, I don''t bear any ill will to Worthy nor have any desire to see him fail.  He achieved the high point of the last ten years and then threw it away leaving the club in the same condition as when he found it.  That is still better than others might have managed.   He did not really perform for City after the celebration night at City Hall.  A better manager would and could have kept us up.

All that this says to me is that he is a mediocre manager with limited ability.  His man management skills are deficient to say the least.  The next few years will be interesting.  I expect to see him turn into a Tony Pulis type Championship manager - able to survive in this league but without the flair or people skills to take himself or his team higher.  He will be a better bet to avoid relegation than to achieve promotion.

Without becoming obsessive, I will be watching.  Leicester will avoid relegation this season and if he stays will be top half next.  They will not be serious contenders for promotion.

Not since the first leaving of Mike Walker has a manager left City for greater things and I don''t think Worthy will change that run.

[/quote]

Not Martin O''Neill, he did better after leaving you didnt he?