Sign in to follow this  
mbncfc

Empty seats at the FA Cup semis at the weekend

I found this on the BBC website and it struck me as surprising and disappointing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/6551233.stm

No matter where we are in the league, I am sure we would sell out our entire allocation for something like a cup semi.

Blackburn''s trip is not very far and, although it is expensive, this is an FA Cup semi-final and most clubs don''t get there every year.

Is this another signal that people feel football has lost its competitive edge?
Are the travelling distances and ticket prices simply excuses?
Is the football bubble bursting?

Because of this, I started looking into possibly going to the game here in Manchester, just to do my bit... but then I found this on Blackburn''s official website:"£25 and £35 tickets have now SOLD OUT, tickets priced at £45 and £55 remain."May go some way to explaining why the remaining tickets are unsold, and definitely explains why I''ll be sat at home watching the game on telly even though the game is taking place a short distance from me... and that raises an interesting point... if I can watch it on telly for free, why should I bother going to the ground???

[quote user="mbncfc"]

I found this on the BBC website and it struck me as surprising and disappointing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/6551233.stm

No matter where we are in the league, I am sure we would sell out our entire allocation for something like a cup semi.

Blackburn''s trip is not very far and, although it is expensive, this is an FA Cup semi-final and most clubs don''t get there every year.

Is this another signal that people feel football has lost its competitive edge?
Are the travelling distances and ticket prices simply excuses?
Is the football bubble bursting?

[/quote]

To be fair to Blackburn it is a small town and is situated in a footballing hotbed. Manchester United, Man City, Burnley, Preston, Bolton all set in Lancashire so they are competing for fans.

£40-55 tickets for a semi final is a tad expensive but blackburn have never really been renowed for its fanbase mainly because of the point made above about its location with other clubs, but its not this match that is surprising me (although how chelsea STILL have 8,000 tickets left is a bit of a surprise, considering how many ''fans'' they have)

No, its watford that have annoyed me a litte, the game is being played at villa park which is roughly 45,000 or just under capacity of the top of my head and is centrall located for the two clubs involved..... presuming 3-4,000 tickets go to corporate guests, that leaves watford with roughly 20,000 tickets to sell against manchester united to play in the first ever cup final at wembley, now surely even watford can muster that?!

there was a chat on talksport around xmas about blackburn charging £36 for the cheapest seat for a home game. blackburn fans are fairly fairweather with empty seats for games against big clubs and small clubs but is it the price or lack of support. im sure if it was norwich people would go no matter what the price. i myself once follishly paid £120 for a norwich ticket against fulham but i would do it all again. what happenend to the blackburn fans when they won ther league? have they all started supporting chelsea? not exactly much traveling costs involved either. i know the prices are steep but you pay more for a better seat in theory and it could be the only time they reach the final in recent years. there support is pathetic.i never have liked blackburn and hope they get stuffed. although im not a fan of the mancs i would also love to see them hammer the glory hunting watford fans who are no-where to be seen in the championship and now sell out every week. as you may have guessed i detest glory hunters-even the ones that latched onto norwich when things were rosey and now moan at a draw or defeat.

Could the reason be that supporter are catching onto the fact that the Premiership is fast descending to the level of the Scottish league with only two or three clubs realistically going to win anything?

[quote user="Grumpy "]Could the reason be that supporter are catching onto the fact that the Premiership is fast descending to the level of the Scottish league with only two or three clubs realistically going to win anything?[/quote]How is this a new thing? Only 4 teams have won the Premier League since it was started, Manure, Blackburn, Chavski and the Arse... That''s in about 13 years of "competition"... I know it ain''t good, but I think people are getting a little hysterical about it all recently forgetting it''s been like that for years!

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="Grumpy "]Could the reason be that supporter are catching onto the fact that the Premiership is fast descending to the level of the Scottish league with only two or three clubs realistically going to win anything?[/quote]

How is this a new thing? Only 4 teams have won the Premier League since it was started, Manure, Blackburn, Chavski and the Arse... That''s in about 13 years of "competition"... I know it ain''t good, but I think people are getting a little hysterical about it all recently forgetting it''s been like that for years!
[/quote]

it should of been 5 teams EM.. had we of beaten Man utd in 1992/1993 it would of been!

I still feel we were robbed, 14 years on... :(

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="Grumpy "]Could the reason be that supporter are catching onto the fact that the Premiership is fast descending to the level of the Scottish league with only two or three clubs realistically going to win anything?[/quote]

How is this a new thing? Only 4 teams have won the Premier League since it was started, Manure, Blackburn, Chavski and the Arse... That''s in about 13 years of "competition"... I know it ain''t good, but I think people are getting a little hysterical about it all recently forgetting it''s been like that for years!
[/quote]

it should of been 5 teams EM.. had we of beaten Man utd in 1992/1993 it would of been!

I still feel we were robbed, 14 years on... :(

jas :)

[/quote]

Indeed we were robbed, i''d have only recently been born, im surprised my first words werent "FFS" of my dad in anger :p

The blame stops at the FA, first they have stupid kick off times then they charge a fortune to go and watch. It is time to wake up and stop ripping off the fans. Why should prices be any higher than for a normal league game at either Old Trafford or Villa Park, it''s the same seats and the same game so why charge an extra £20?

Next year will be even better, both semis at Wembley (this dilutes the final) and the ticket prices will be even higher.

It''s time the FA and the Premier League clubs stopped taking loyal supporters for a ride, follow the example from Carrow Road, charge decent prices and fill your ground. You can make the extra cash on the burgers, drinks and programmes and even the odd shirt!!

I got an email from Aidy Boothroyd urging me to go and to gather up as many of my friends as well to support the team...I''m on the Watford mailing list as I had to use that method to get a ticket for our game down there just after we got promotion.

IMO the main point re: Blackburn is simply a matter of people''s resources rather than anything - one of my friends is an ardent supporter and says they have a very large fanbase but they are also in an area with lots of poverty and people just don''t have the dosh to keep forking out for football, particularly £45/55; this is also one of the reasons their away support is not good and they have held/reduced ticket prices for next season.

Re: the others, like Chelsea, the simple fact that for many the FA Cup has lost a lot of its shine, and to have people forking £50+ and travel costs for a game they aren''t so bothered about is asking a lot - under those circumstances it is easy to see why some might struggle to get rid of a 30000 allocation.  I''m sure their fans don''t have a bottomless pit of money, and the question for some could be: do I want to see an FA Cup semi v Blackburn or a Euro semi v Liverpool...a question that is not really even worth answering.

Did you read this morning that United received FEWER tickets than Watford!

17,800 Watford received and United 200 less. And Watford have 1500 unsold.

How did the FA work this out considering the comparative attendances of the two clubs?

My first word was BuGer said loudly in an art gallery. I''m so proud of myself for that, much more distinguished than Cat or Mama.  Not particularly football related, but good training for life as a norwich fan.