Sign in to follow this  
Hannibal

GREATEST CITY PLAYER ?

now this is all a matter of preferance but i am intersted to know who you think the best player in city history has been ?
just a few to think about steve bruce, jerry goss, bryan gunn, rob newman, huckerby ?
one player who i feel that norwich have missed is ian crook we need a player of his quality and passing ability ! gota get my vote to be one of the best

It''s a difficult one to call - so many players bring different things to a game. Ian Crook - yes, the best vision and passing I have seen at the club. Robert Fleck, first time round - one of the biggest handfuls a defender could have the misfortune to face. Chris Sutton - likewise with Fleck, but probably a better all round player. Darren Eadie - close control, speed, a deadly shot, need I say more? Gunny - a legend. Nuff said. Craig Fleming - mr consistency for years and years and years now....... the list goes on and on, and this is just from the late 80''s!

there are three answers for me,best young player would be eadie in my opinion with martin peters ,past his best but a joy to watch but the best would have to be brucey for me!

Peters simply oozed class despite being beyond his best and in my mind is the best city player ever.

Of the keepers Keelan was England class and widely (beyond just Carrow Road) acknowledged to be one of the best keepers to have never played for England and unlucky to have Banks, Shiltion & Clemence as competition - he would probably be England keeper over the current encumbant. Woods and Greeno are next.

In defence I liked Steve Walford as a stylish centre back but in my mind our best back four are Culverhouse, Dave Watson, Steve Bruce and Mark Bowen, with Bowen winning the defensive honours for me.

In midfield things start getting tricky, Jimmy Neighbour was an older fave, Fox has to be close too but I think my top four would be Peters, Eadie, Townsend and Crook.

Up front the list is tough - Drinkell, Reeves, Fleck (who was superb but rated as one of the worst finishers in a one on one situation in my mind!) are all close but goal poacher supreme Ted McDougall, for topping the old Div 1 charts (a feet no other City striker is likely to achieve) being fed by the vastly underrated Chris Sutton has it for me.

OTBC

Bloody hell that''s a toughie!. Despite trying I can''t pick one, but do have three favs.

Tommy Bryceland: sheer class with a touch of menace added for good measure.

Ron Davis: best header of a ball ever at this club.

Flecky: just because he''s Flecky!

DARREN HUCKERBY: sheer excitement in motion. Damn thats four!. Oh b**ger, I just thought of another ten now, I give up!.

I would agree with your full backs Zip, but my choice of Central defenders would be the simply awesome Linighan/Butterworth partnership. So composed and graceful, a bit like Malky & Flem ..... but with composure and grace. This was the fist Norwich team I saw, so perhaps I am biased. Townsend is a definite, and of course Crooky. GOD we had a great team once!

I have fond memories of Disco Dale Gordon, but perhaps he wouldn''t make the grade against our best ever. I''d take him over Fox though.

Other than that, what about Huckerby? When his loan spell was up, there were a lot of people quick to state that he was the best player ever to pull on the shirt. Would he make our team of NCFC allstars?

Gunn in goal (although Keelan was quality), Kenton right full back (re-sign him!!), Bruce and Fleming (Mr.Consistency), Bowen (pure class), Fox, Crook, Goss, Eadie (best midfield EVA!!), Up front The living legend Iwan Roberts and a choice between Fleck/Sutton/Gavin/Allcock/Bellamy etc...

No Huckerby for me - yet. All the players I mention played while city were in the old Div 1 so played in a yella shirt against the very best players in the country. It is for this reason that that I did not include Bellamy who I think is a better player than Hux will ever be...

In addition a key role for a striker is to score goals - and you cant argue about the strike rate of the two I mention, or Suttons assists before anyone throws that in.

I had forgotten about Linighan who was awesome - but I still cant squeeze him in. Butterworth is similar to Flem - cool and calm but with the added ability of being able to bring the ball out of defence which gave the team an added dimension. Mind you how could I not include Victor Segura?

ok so here is a big question best team? any players you like any formation
gk: woods

lb: drury cb: bruce cb:newsome rb:bowen

lm:eadie cm:crook cm:holt rm: fox

st: robins st:sutton
subs: gunn, watson, butterworth, o''neil, bellamy, fleck,
pure quality !!!!!!!

Ted McDougall and Chris Sutton without a doubt as far as goalscorers go. What about Colin Sugget, Dave Williams or Doug Livermore? Or even Trevor Hockey who kept us upon his own one season. At the back Clive Payne was always reliable. Also no one has mentioned Pape Diop, Steve Walsh or Tony Cotee.

Good shout with Dave Williams - a more than able Crook understudy.

I also forgot to mention Kevin Reeves who was awesome when playing for us.

Guest CFrost
Gotta be Iwan!!!!!!

Also Huckerbys got to be up there is he''s such a talented and exciting player. I''m not that old so I dont know every single NCFC player.

No one has mentioned Kevin Keelan - an absolute giant of a man who saved us in many occaisions.

Then there was Ron Davies - in my opinion one of the best centre forwards ever to grace Carrow Road

But for me Kevin Keelan must be number one

Given I only became interested in football at the age of 8 just after David Stringer was appointed manager I can only name the best players since then....

And my team would be Gunn (obviously), a back four of Culverhouse (who was quality at right back), Bowen (superb ball playing full back although back passes were not his strong point!!), with Linighan and Butterworth centre backs. Midfield...Left wing has to be David Phillips for me, pure class and scored shed loads of goals from long range efforts. Right wing Dale Gordon. Having watched old Norwich videos recently that guy was mint. Great skills. Centre mids would have to Andy Townsend and Ian Crook. Up front, Chris Sutton and Craig Bellamy - pace and height. Just think if we had those two up front at the moment, unstoppable.

Öf course many of the players mentioned are well deserving, but perhaps I am showing my age here, but Hugh Curran was a brilliant striker for Norwich.

Over the past 46 years it has to be the one and only KEVIN KEELAN.
Hands down. Argument done. My wife agrees - so that''s 3 votes!
He also had a good right hook as far as I recall!!
OTBC.

Flecky, the legend,the crowd pleaser,the one who made us laugh,the one who gave his all,the passionate one,the green and yellow one, is the one I will love for ever!

Sorry, my age is showing again, but how is no-one has mentioned Barry Butler? A class centre half, capped for England B while playing in the third division? (We''ve even named the Player of the Season trophy in his honour).

I''d also have to include in my list of favourites Flecky, Sutton, Bowen, Bruce, Barham, Keelan, Ron Davies, and Gunn. The more I think about it, the more come to mind, and the harder it is to pick one. Huckerby could end up in there before long, and with a bit of luck Jarvis will eventually join the list.

For the benefit of Welsh Canary Fan if he''s reading this, Chris Llewellyn would NOT be in there!

Me:

Bryan Gunn

Daryl Sutch Malky MacKay Rob Newman Mark Bowen

Ruel Fox Ian Crook Gary Holt Paul McVeigh''

Chris Sutton Darren Huckerby

Sub: Chris Woods, Darren Eadie, Adam Drury, Jeremy Goss, Craig Bellamy

Amazed that no one has yet mentioned Graham Paddon who I would rate alongside Crook and Suggett as our best ever midfielders. Up front unquestionably Hugh Curran, but if I had to pick a single player then it would be, and I suspect always will be, Kevin Keelan.

Did not get to see all the greats mentioned but, if there was someone greater than Kevin Keelan, he was great indeed. In my time, honorable mention for Ron Davies as a pure striker. Can''t help thinking what a great job someone like that at their prime could do in the present squad.

Glad to hear someone agrees with me on Hugh Curran, truly great. Forgot about Paddon though, great left boot, shame that Mick Mcguire had injury problems, otherwise he may have been in there. At the risk of attracting some stick, although Crook was good, when he first came to City he struggled to get in the side, kept out by Townsend and Phelan, a more workmanlike and effective combination - something familiar with the present set - up? XXL16, enjoy and agree with most of your comments, but you´ll have to forget about Daryl Sutch. I fear that most City supporters would think of him as one of the least able players, and the only thing keeping him out of the "worst signing "list is the fact that he wasn´t signed, he was an own product!