Sign in to follow this  
the brock man

whos the worst signing ever

i think norwich did make some bad signing eg easton,river(on some games),libra(all the time),edworthy,abby i think we could have better players with the money we had and hope we dont do no more rubbish signings

How can edworthy be anything but a good signing when a) he was free, and b) he''s been solid as a rock this season. Yeah he''s made a couple of mistakes but who doesnt?

You sound quite reasonable until you included edworthy who has performed well all season - very consistent and rarely lets the team down.

Abbey had a reasonable strike rate last season and has been unlucky with injuries and Rivers has the ability but does not deliver it consistently and has fallen out with Worthy - I wouldnt class him as a bad signing though.

The worst signing ever? Probably Drazen Muzinic - cost us a fortune at the time and was truly awful. A case could be made for Bryan Hamilton bearing in mind the number of ''quality'' players he brought in. Of recent years Steve Walsh rates high in the list.

OTBC

None of Easton, Rivers, Libbra etc get anywhere close to being rubbish signings.

True rubbish was Steve Walsh, Willie Young, Muzinic (glad somebody else remembers him), Darren Beckford, Ray DeWaard, Fernando Derveld, Paul Dalglish. But the worst ever has surely got to be the incomparably bad Dean Coney who was brought in to score our goals but had double vision and scored only once.........off his backside.

i go to all the game but i dont think he is the best player in the team at the mo hes all rite but soild is not the word for him he do ok but i think that he can do a lot better

the brock man,
Which planet do you live on? Where have you been all season obviously not at Carrow Road!

Absolutely Tumbleweed - those mentioned by the poster don''t even scratch the surface! Libra caused problems when he played and will be ever remembered for his 11 second wonder goal. He just couldn''t hack the pace of English football.
De Waard? Jeez he was bad. Ulf Ottoson? I''m going to upset a few people here but Flecky in his second spell. He survived in the side on fans good will and for trying soooooo hard but truth be told he was terrible!

im sorry but libbra, easton and rivers were very good acquisitions by worthy. if you consider that at the time we were a club linked more often with relegation than promotion worthy did well to get in who he did at that time. arguably, we have moved on a notch since then, but the previous season we had been playing people like derveld.

Edworthy!!! Do you watch the games ''brock man'' ? He might not be our best signing ever but he''s no where near our worst, and I personally think he''s been one of our better players this season. His drive and enthusiasm are second to none.

Zipper, Tumbleweed, a1 - yep those are definately the all time greats - I would just like to add Simon Tracey.

Worst manager - in my 30+ years - definately, beyond any shadow of doubt it has to be "Mr Fantastic" - Brian Hamilton.

As for Flecky in his second spell - I remember him scoring on his 2nd debut - against Swindon I think it was. He is an all time great City player but yes - a mere shadow of his former self second time around but in no way should he be connected with the other bunch of no hopers.

I think I''d like to put forward 3-

Fernando Derveld
Raymond De Waard
Steve Walsh

All truely APPALLING!

Incidently weren''t they all bought by Hamilton?? Says something about his managerial skills! The top two might have been brought in by Rioch though. Those awful years kind of merge into one for me!

I am also not sure which planet Brock man is living on - why mention him in the list at all? I think the postings noted seem to cover the lot, Muzinic was truly terrible, and, not wanting to sound at all prejudiced, as a matter of interest of all the players coming from the Balkan lands, can anyone mention one who has really been a success in Brithish football? Also agree that "Blarney" Hamilton made some of the worst signings ever, and would be leading candidate to manage the "Worst Ever". I also remember Dean Coney being signed to bolster the City strike force prior to the last dozen or so games when City were riding high in the old !st div. Absolutely dire!

Surprised no-one has mentioned:

Eric "tackling? that''s for men not little boys like me" Fuglestad
Cedric "which position am I playing in exactly?" Anselin
Neil "you might as well just burn 1/2 million quid " Emblem

And the daddy of them all is FA Cup loan signing:

Simon "don''t let that ball come anywhere near me" Tracey

I thought they were all Hamilton aquisitions actually. As NMTD says, Hamilton, a worse manager than anyone could have possibly imagined! whenever i hear him on R5 as a summariser i just switch off - he lost all authority and respect in city fans eyes and it''s no surprise that he decided against another crack at management after he left us!

I wouldn''t connect Flecky with those others. Although i can just remember his first spell when i was only a fledgling canary back then and him being my absolute hero so it was very painful and memorable, for the wrong reasons, to watch him second time around! Perhaps akin to watching an oldie revival band reformed, decades on, like the Rolling Stones, the Stranglers or the Who - just painful! Better to put the CD on or in this case, the 1990 season review!

NMTD and Pyro- absolutely right, Tracey has got to be there in the top three.

Another really recent one occurred to me- Paul Heckingbottom. Even the Darlington fans didn''t know why the heckingbottom we signed him.

Pyro - I''m with you on Simon "Blunderbirds" Tracey.

I did mention him in my earlier post, but maybe you missed it - just like he did with the ball!

Although edworthy has been fair and maybe not the worst sigining i cannot understand why people keep rating him. To many times he gets caught out of postion, he never seems to pick up his player and often leaves it to others. When he does remain in postion he does not stop a determined team (everton for one) from expoliting him. I will always support him while NW picks him but please just watch him and if we do go up you will see tactical teams ripping him to shreds.

To rise to Steve Whites challenge I think you can count Dan Petrescu as a definite Balkan success in British football, although I am struggling to name too many more!

I am sure the balkans could rightly point out how many british players have succeeded in Italy/Spain; they have had many more there than we have.

The more you go through the thread the more I realise just how dire the majority of the last 10 years have really been with the worst of boards, manager and players that have ever graced a yellow shirt - its a miracle we have made it this far and these are truly enlightened times.

PS
It also makes me realise just how good the UEFA team really was and how under-valued they were at the time

pete i never thought anselin and fuglestad were that bad,certainly the better players of an awful team
the hamilton era really was awful, the list is endless - walsh cottee derveld de waard now im stuck but thats just me,i hate it when he is always the summariser for norwich matches and how he manages to report on serie a games on eurosport when we all know he knows nothing

Libra, easton and rivers were all bought to get us out of trouble nad they have done that so now get rid of them cause they aint up to the standerd anymore. Sorry if that sounds harsh! Rivers on his day can be alright but can we really afford to have players blowing hot and cold in the position we are in?! Im quite a young poster and don''t remember some of thep layers being mentioned but I do remember some, e.g Tony Cottee, Raymond de Waard and a couple of others, and I agree they were awful. I''m to young to remember Simon Tracey either that or I hadn''t been introduced to Norwich City Football Club!

Actually think Petrescu was Rumanian, my geography isn´t so good so perhaps it counts as the Balkans, in which case I should have been straight and said Yugoslavian (or Macedonian Croatian etc!) Agree on the UEFA cup team though, the comparison with them and the pile of shit we had to endure under Hamolton made it all the more painful.

In fact I would say that Libbra is actually a legend for THAT GOAL. OK, things didn''t go well afterwards but for that one pure unadulaterated moment of joy (which gave me my computer desktop wallpaper for a year or so) he will live long in the memory.

Romania is on the black sea and is next to and up a bit from Yugoslavia so it probably just counts as the balkans.