Sign in to follow this  
bigbear

Did the Burnley result matter?

For the 1st time this season, I really wasn''t bothered at all by the result last night.  As all my concentrations and hope is geared towards this coming Sunday.  Unfortunately, all I can see is a bad loss against a team who I detest, but also, have been scoring for fun, against us, who are struggling to get a starting 11 let alone a 16 man squad.  Sounds like they played quite well against Burnley, but this game is much bigger,  hopefully they will show no fear. 

After reading the pinkun match report and listening to what people I know had to say about the game, who listened to it, some of Grants issues with the match officials were unfounded, and also, from Grant pretty much saying we deseerved to win the game, the commentary and match report say otherwise.  Who am I to believe, unless the interviewer couldn''t fully understand Grant and just wrote what he thinks he said!

[quote user="bigbear"]

For the 1st time this season, I really wasn''t bothered at all by the result last night.  As all my concentrations and hope is geared towards this coming Sunday.  Unfortunately, all I can see is a bad loss against a team who I detest, but also, have been scoring for fun, against us, who are struggling to get a starting 11 let alone a 16 man squad.  Sounds like they played quite well against Burnley, but this game is much bigger,  hopefully they will show no fear. 

After reading the pinkun match report and listening to what people I know had to say about the game, who listened to it, some of Grants issues with the match officials were unfounded, and also, from Grant pretty much saying we deseerved to win the game, the commentary and match report say otherwise.  Who am I to believe, unless the interviewer couldn''t fully understand Grant and just wrote what he thinks he said!

[/quote]

I was with you. I listened to Canary Call after the game even it''s 4:45am, I recall one callers said right, this game was a test for young players, let them played and let them made mistakes, because it''s just similar to everyone go to school, you worked on the subject but if you want to decide how good you were, you need to take the test and exam -- that''s the academy players had yesterday. I would think a defeat was better since you can let the kids to taste success so easily.

Unless Grant was trying to boost the confidence levels of the young, inexperienced pro''s, who he''ll have to rely on on Sunday? Nothing to be gained by knocking them - trying to blame the officials takes the heat off the kids. Fergie does it all the time at Man Ure.

if you ask me yes it did count, if only for the reason that it gave us a chance to go above ipswich -  finishing below them would be an absoloute disgrace

Grant was right about the officials up to a point and yes I do think he was trying to "look after" some of the younger players. However, we did play well for much of the game and it was only late in the game when we moved Dublin up front that they managed to make the game safe. We could have taken the lead when Dublin hit the bar early on. Then Dublin got caught out by Akinbiyi just as the youngsters were beginning to settle down and we went a goal down. Martin had a really good chance to level soon after and although Burnley had the lions share of posession we were not out of the game by any means. We made a few chances in the second half and Shackell in particular was unlucky before the keeper made a good save from Dublin. In my opinion, until those last 5 minutes,  we had as many chances and attempts on goal as they did. And those of you who prefer to use the match stats as a guide will see that they back up this point of view.

[quote user="barclay4ever"]if you ask me yes it did count, if only for the reason that it gave us a chance to go above ipswich -  finishing below them would be an absoloute disgrace[/quote]

Call me a disgrace but I would rather lose twice to Ipswich and win automatic promotion to the premiership.

(and I REALLY hate losing to Ipswich)

Everything we do NOW should be woking towards our ultimate goal of getting back in the prem.

Everything else should be secondary.

Lets not get distracted.

every result matters... i cant see how anyone can look at their football attitude and not have a winning attitude...

The whole point of the game is to win... im not that competitive but why take part if u dont have ambitions to be the best?

jas :)