Sign in to follow this  
Ulf Ottosson

Stop this Nonsense about Grant Championing Youth

Please - the only reason he''s playing Renton, Smart and even Martin is because he has NO CHOICE! Are people starting to see why Worthington did''nt loan out fringe players, the minute an injury crisis arrives you''re done to 16 years olds. Before you say but you can recall - which manager in there right mind wants a player who could leave at any moment.

Watch the reaction when we get beat on Sunday when it may well be against Men against Boys.

ive been thinking about this for a while. the only reason he is backing youth is because he has no one else left.

If I remember rightly our team of men lost to their team of boys this time last year and everyone was saying how we should be using the youth. I don''t care why he''s using the fact is he is rather than trying to get in loans. You can say that the window is closed but when he brought Martin into the side he could have made a move into the loan market but he didn''t. Yes he may have tried to bring in someone as it has been quite a dramatic situation regarding the youth involvement but I think he still would have used the younger players earlier in the season had he needed to.

[quote user="savenell"]ive been thinking about this for a while. the only reason he is backing youth is because he has no one else left.[/quote]

What?????

I am sure he could have recalled Ryan Jarvis and Henderson by now??????

He als has no problem letting P McV go on loan and Thorne not even get anywhere near the first team.

PG has probably played MORE Youth players than he would have liked because of injuries but not because he has nobody left.

[quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]

Please - the only reason he''s playing Renton, Smart and even Martin is because he has NO CHOICE! Are people starting to see why Worthington did''nt loan out fringe players, the minute an injury crisis arrives you''re done to 16 years olds. Before you say but you can recall - which manager in there right mind wants a player who could leave at any moment.

Watch the reaction when we get beat on Sunday when it may well be against Men against Boys.

[/quote]

Yes of course we played the kids only because we had nobody except the Norwich fans. ;-)

But I should think when Grant take over, he already know how thin our squad depth is, he should know we will get injuries and some player cannot play for a while. He know Earnie injured while the transfer window is still open and if he decide he don''t want to play Martin, he should go to the loan market to pick up a striker, or not loan out Jarvis and Henderson.

On this Sunday of course it''s man against boys if you compare with Alan Lee and Francis Jeffers against Martin and Renton, we know it.

[quote user="DumbleDelia is Magic"]If he has no choice but to play the youth, why did Grant send out McVeigh on loan and refuse to play Thorne?[/quote]

nail.. head.. hit! well said DD.. that kills the arguement stone dead

jas :)

What a pointless thread set up just for a reason to moan.......

If he hadn''t been using youth players this would have been started "WHY NOT USE OUR YOUTH.." or something like that!!!!!

We can not be relegated and we can not be promoted lets see what these "BOYS" can do and get behind them, who knows our "boys" may turn over the "GRANDADS" from over the boarder.

Bring it on......!!!!!!!!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="DumbleDelia is Magic"]If he has no choice but to play the youth, why did Grant send out McVeigh on loan and refuse to play Thorne?[/quote]

nail.. head.. hit! well said DD.. that kills the arguement stone dead

jas :)

[/quote]

he tried both, neither wanted to be here, and they made it perfectly obvious that was the case.

[quote user="Ulf Ottosson"]

[/quote] I disagree completely as he did have a choice to not send out McVeigh and play Thorne.  By the time this season finishes Grant would have had an opportunity to look at all of his senior squad players and some of the academy lads, and he will know exactly who he wishes to retain.  He hasn''t rushed into the loan market and wasted money like the previous manager.

Regarding the loaning out of players, every manager who takes a player on loan knows that those players can be recalled after a certain time, that is a gamble you take.  Grant hasn''t recalled the Jarvis brothers and Henderson  because they are getting invaluable first team football.  What is the sense in bringing a player back for one game and then sending them back again.

Wake up Ulf what Grant is doing is what Worthy should have done.  We cannot get relegated now so it is an ideal opportunity to give the youngsters a run.  McVeigh will not be at this club next season and we will have saved a big wage packet.  Renton will be here next season and even if he is given a professional contract, it will be peanuts compared to McVeigh''s wages.  Thorne will be away and I would hate to think how much we have been paying him.

The youngsters are our future and thankfully under this manager some of them might just have a good future.  Finally I hope some of them do get to play against Ipswich on Sunday because you know they will give evrything.

The only reason people champion Grant for playing youth at all is because people still feel so aggrieved by Worthington''s alleged ''non-use'' of our younger players.

This, of course, despite Spillane getting a few games at the end of last season, with Ryan Jarvis, Ian Henderson, Jason Shackell and Robert Green to name a few others.

Both managers have used our youth players in the past when they have seen fit, but what PG has is the ability to avoid loaning in players for the sake of it, an acceptance in loaning out players to get experience, and a better way of handling those young players at the club.

Different horses for different course. Not everything is black and white. (cliche batch run over)

ID RATHER SEE THESE KIDS IN THAN WHAT WE HAD UNDER THE OLD REGIME, A JOBBING LOAD OF FREELOADER JOURNEYMEN HERE ON LOAN WHO GOT SPLINTERS IN THEIR A***S KEEPING THE BENCH WARM!!

[quote user="ncfc1"]Does anybody really believe Martin would of got a run in the team if  Chris Brown had been fit .[/quote]

Thank heavens for back injuries then (bar Hucks!).

[quote user="baldyboy"]ID RATHER SEE THESE KIDS IN THAN WHAT WE HAD UNDER THE OLD REGIME, A JOBBING LOAD OF FREELOADER JOURNEYMEN HERE ON LOAN WHO GOT SPLINTERS IN THEIR A***S KEEPING THE BENCH WARM!![/quote]

remind me, did we not get promotion and a playoff final under the old regime, must have done something right at some time, may i repeat, 16 yr olds will not get us promotion. We need to buy, playing these lads is a nice gesture but how many will make up the team next year, lets see shall we. So stop going overboard and stop running on about the old regime, you are like the labour party, still blaming Maggie for all our countries ills.

he did get things right.

He also developed a taste for pointless loan signings that wasted money we didn''t have.

I''d much rather see the youth in, to see IF they have a shot of making it, than some pointless loan from another team.

The only way we will know if these kids have it (and thereby saving us keeping them here for 2/3 years longer than we need to) is to get them in the team at times like this.

We won''t know for sure, but I feel we would of seen at least 3/4 loans come in if Worthington was still here.

[quote user="mbncfc"]

The only reason people champion Grant for playing youth at all is because people still feel so aggrieved by Worthington''s alleged ''non-use'' of our younger players.

This, of course, despite Spillane getting a few games at the end of last season, with Ryan Jarvis, Ian Henderson, Jason Shackell and Robert Green to name a few others.

Both managers have used our youth players in the past when they have seen fit, but what PG has is the ability to avoid loaning in players for the sake of it, an acceptance in loaning out players to get experience, and a better way of handling those young players at the club.

Different horses for different course. Not everything is black and white. (cliche batch run over)

[/quote]

Absolutely spot on mbncfc.

I am still reading posts today criticising Worthington for getting rid of Paul Hayes in 2002! Yet Hayes has still not proved himself at the level we are now let alone at the level we want to be. Of course Worthington played the youth players, sometimes out of choice but in most cases out of neccessity because of injury. Does anybody else remember Lewis on the bench at 15 at West Ham? If Robert Green had hurt his back in the warm up Lewis would have played too!!

The criticism of the poor players brought in on loan in the last few seasons is a fair one. Especially at the end of last season where Worthington brought in Rehmann and Johanson. In his defence I guess we still had play off aspirations at the time they came in, but in my eyes they proved to be an awful waste of money.

Very astute post....and exactly my view too.  It''s nice to see them getting a run out...but these kids are likely to be first-teamers next year when the cash dries up completely.  It''s a measure of the desperation around the place these days....and we should all be very worried indeed.

Should Ipswich give us a hiding at the weekend, it certainly won''t be the kids fault as it goes far deeper than that. I just hope their spirits don''t get broken while covering up the cracks for others.

[quote user="savenell"]ive been thinking about this for a while. the only reason he is backing youth is because he has no one else left.[/quote]

It may only be "because he as to" but at least the Academy players may begin to believe they do have a chance at  Norwich which certainly wasn''t the case whilst Worthy was in charge.  I am sure it will be very good for the future of the youngsters.

[quote user="ricky knight"]

[quote user="baldyboy"]ID RATHER SEE THESE KIDS IN THAN WHAT WE HAD UNDER THE OLD REGIME, A JOBBING LOAD OF FREELOADER JOURNEYMEN HERE ON LOAN WHO GOT SPLINTERS IN THEIR A***S KEEPING THE BENCH WARM!![/quote]

remind me, did we not get promotion and a playoff final under the old regime, must have done something right at some time, may i repeat, 16 yr olds will not get us promotion. We need to buy, playing these lads is a nice gesture but how many will make up the team next year, lets see shall we. So stop going overboard and stop running on about the old regime, you are like the labour party, still blaming Maggie for all our countries ills.

[/quote]

Of course not all of them will make it. That happens everywhere

We need to buy but we also need some good young players who can come in and do a job when we have injuries.

Having good squad players with some first team experience is very important.

Its not fair to throw in young players into an important game with no experience.

In our promotion season we were incredibly lucky with injuries. People forget that.