Sign in to follow this  
Cantiaci Canary

Anyone Miss Brown?

It''s funny that despite losing 3-0 to a poor team and playing a 16 and 19 year old upfront I have heard nobody lament Brown''s absence. In fact ever since he got injuried - few people seem to ''care''.

Is this an indicator that his absence is not missed? Would we rather see Martin and Renton upfront and Brown benched (or knackered)? For me it has nothing to do with him not scoring for us yet - or feeling that he must be given time to settle in - or that he is more of a ''holding man'' ... I honestly believe that he is not good enough (even for how we are playing at the moment at times).

[quote user="Konstantin Pobedonostsev"]

It''s funny that despite losing 3-0 to a poor team and playing a 16 and 19 year old upfront I have heard nobody lament Brown''s absence. In fact ever since he got injuried - few people seem to ''care''.

Is this an indicator that his absence is not missed? Would we rather see Martin and Renton upfront and Brown benched (or knackered)? For me it has nothing to do with him not scoring for us yet - or feeling that he must be given time to settle in - or that he is more of a ''holding man'' ... I honestly believe that he is not good enough (even for how we are playing at the moment at times).

[/quote]

Totally agree, he is utter c**p.... offload him in the summer (if we can get any kind of fee for him whatsoever) I say...

I for one do not want to see players with sub-standard skills in a yellow & green shirt!!!

Hughes OUT, Doc OUT also!!!

Well he would have made a huge difference last night. There were some really good performances at Burnley and we certainly didn''t deserve a 3-0 scoreline but we had nobody there to hold the ball up and so we didn''t have enough ball in the final third. We still made chances though and I think we wouldn''t have been flattered if we had drawn the game.

When I''ve Brown he wasn''t utter cr*p. What game are you talking about Smudger?

I hate to say it...but I said he was crap from the outset.  Keane was pleased to unload him fast...and we were the mugs who took him on.

Another worrying sign of Shrek''s inability to assess talent....and more valuable money blown.

[/quote]

Who''s Miss Brown ?[:D]

[quote user="Cluck "]

I hate to say it...but I said he was crap from the outset.  Keane was pleased to unload him fast...and we were the mugs who took him on.

Another worrying sign of Shrek''s inability to assess talent....and more valuable money blown.

[/quote]

yeh... he judged Chris Martin all wrong didn''t he? and i suppose bringing in a player who is actually decent from set peices (Lappin) was crap judgement too? or what about David Marshall? people were wanting him here permanantly so i guess he must have been doing a terrible job during his spell as 1st choice keeper?

[quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]Cluck, i appreciate the manner in which you replied to my last post following your familiar derogatory generalisations (ref "new age lad de das!"), so i hope you might do the same again here. Because at face value this comment is deluded and short sighted in the extreme. I''m not even going to waste the wear on my keyboard on Smudger''s post before yours but at least i can hope for a sensible response from you.Deluded because the, ''i told you so'' manner of your post seems to assume that you are right becuase somehow general consensus has been reached that Chris Brown is crap. This, in itself, is crap, as evidenced by this post:http://new.pinkun.com/cs/forums/880389/ShowPost.aspxShort sighted because the guy only had a handful of games before getting injured, nowhere near enough to judge, and despite this many people could see from those games how useful he could be to us, particularly through his hold up play. Yet you seem happy to slate him on the grounds of, well, little more than the fact that Roy Keane let him go. Just ''cos Keane didn''t need him for the squad he wanted to build, doesn''t mean he''s no good or that he can''t do a job in a squad that someone else is building. That''s the whole reason players change hands in the first place. Can you see a place for Paul McVeigh in our squad? Many can''t, with good reason. Is he crap? Certainly not. So having barely seen him (have you in fact seen him playing as those commenting in the post above, and i, have?), i''m struggling to see what your problem is with Brown at this stage. With a pool of strikers available to us of Brown, Earnie, Hucks and Martin, (and Renton) we are building a little squad of forwards that has a look of the Hucks, Mckenzie, Svensson and McVeigh group that fired us to promotion.

[quote user="WEEN_NASTY"][quote user="Konstantin Pobedonostsev"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think Miss Brown got married and is now Mrs. Brown

[quote user="Lambo"][quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

yeh... he judged Chris Martin all wrong didn''t he? and i suppose bringing in a player who is actually decent from set peices (Lappin) was crap judgement too? or what about David Marshall? people were wanting him here permanantly so i guess he must have been doing a terrible job during his spell as 1st choice keeper?

[/quote]

Lappin and Marshall are not exactly world beaters and i hardly think Martin was his judgement coming through the ranks long before Grant was here. Martin is a player who has made a great start, but lets wait and see how he developes, i remember Power years ago, described as a new gazza, what happened to him..

I would assume Chris Brown''s name has been missing recently as a lot of us haven''t had a chance to make up our mind on him in a Norwich shirt. The jury was still out when he first got his injury, and it wouldn''t be unfair to say he''s been pretty much forgotten since.

As I''ve said before, the injury sounds similar to the one Neil Emblen and MLJ have had in the passed. So I hope he actually comes back fully fit for the start of next season so we can judge fairly whether he''s any good or not.

The people who have already made up their minds on his Norwich career are the same who had decided his fate before he''d even arrived, so I wouldn''t take too much notice of them... I don''t [:D]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Well he would have made a huge difference last night. There were some really good performances at Burnley and we certainly didn''t deserve a 3-0 scoreline but we had nobody there to hold the ball up and so we didn''t have enough ball in the final third. We still made chances though and I think we wouldn''t have been flattered if we had drawn the game.

When I''ve Brown he wasn''t utter cr*p. What game are you talking about Smudger?

[/quote]

But surely we can find a player who can hold the ball up well AND pose at least a minimum threat to the opposition goal? It really isn''t either/or.

You are right, he hasn''t played poorly - he has looked okay but are you content with this? I would rather play five across the middle and one dangerous striker upfront.

[quote user="Lambo"][quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Don''t forget Lee Camp or Tony Warner. Plus, Shackell''s game has improved overall too since PG''s been in charge.

[quote user="Konstantin Pobedonostsev"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

But surely we can find a player who can hold the ball up well AND pose at least a minimum threat to the opposition goal? It really isn''t either/or.

You are right, he hasn''t played poorly - he has looked okay but are you content with this? I would rather play five across the middle and one dangerous striker upfront.

[/quote]

Players who can do both are like gold dust but he could be that player, will have to wait to find out I''m afraid. I heard all the same arguments when Iwan joined us and he cost a hell of a lot more than Brown. Iwan got there in the end so lets hope Brown does too.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Konstantin Pobedonostsev"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Players who can do both are like gold dust but he could be that player, will have to wait to find out I''m afraid. I heard all the same arguments when Iwan joined us and he cost a hell of a lot more than Brown. Iwan got there in the end so lets hope Brown does too.

[/quote]

Iwan had a better goals per game ratio at both Leicester and Wolves prior to signing for us than Brown did for Sunderland however... hence the reason why Iwan cost the best part of a £million and was worth taking the gamble on coming good in the end.

I would be very surprised indeed if Brown manages to become a regular first team starter for us, let alone achieve half of what Iwan achieved for us... I can honestly say hee and now that if Brown scores any more than 10goals for us in his entire career at NCFC I will be shocked... he is quite simply a terrible centre forward!!!

The again the other option could be... that we have this fool stumbling around upfront for us as we get relegated....

Thank god he got injured when he did... otherwise we could of and probably would of been relegated this year!!!

what a shockin thing to say !!!!!!! i am surprised you get away with posts like that. wishing injurys on players is a terrible thing !!   

[quote user="duke100"]what a shockin thing to say !!!!!!! i am surprised you get away with posts like that. wishing injurys on players is a terrible thing !!   [/quote]

Excuse me???

I never realised Chris Brown was a footballer!!!

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Konstantin Pobedonostsev"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don''t think that just because of Iwan Roberts we have to believe that every big holding striker that comes will be good enough eventually (and has just been mentioned above Iwan was far more proven and talented) - otherwise why didn''t we keep Trevor Benjamin? I know that it is unfair to criticise Brown as he has only just arrived and I fell sorry for him regarding his injury ... I certainly will and am going to give him a chance my original posting was more to state my interest in the fact that nobody was lamenting his lengthy absence - and whether that indicated anything.

My gut feeling is that he isn''t talented enough but I am not calling for his removal. I''m desperate to be proved wrong about him. 

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="WEEN_NASTY"][quote user="Konstantin Pobedonostsev"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think Miss Brown got married and is now Mrs. Brown

[/quote]

Lucky lady.

Didn''t have to change her name.

OTBC

[quote user="Konstantin Pobedonostsev"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Konstantin Pobedonostsev"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don''t think that just because of Iwan Roberts we have to believe that every big holding striker that comes will be good enough eventually (and has just been mentioned above Iwan was far more proven and talented) - otherwise why didn''t we keep Trevor Benjamin? I know that it is unfair to criticise Brown as he has only just arrived and I fell sorry for him regarding his injury ... I certainly will and am going to give him a chance my original posting was more to state my interest in the fact that nobody was lamenting his lengthy absence - and whether that indicated anything.

My gut feeling is that he isn''t talented enough but I am not calling for his removal. I''m desperate to be proved wrong about him. 

[/quote]

No you are right about using the Iwan Roberts example. It was a poor choice by me because he was more proven. But I was trying to use it in respect to the negative views of the fans when he was first here.

Why he hasn''t been missed is I guess because Chris Martin burst on the scene and immediately hit it off up front with Huckerby and they scored the goals that helped get us safe. It''s also fair to say that with Martin and Huckerby up front they had to try and keep the ball on the floor and play in the way most fans like to see. And alsoat times we have still had the option of using Dublin when we needed a more physical presence.

But its good to have options and be able to mix it up especially away from home. I have seen enough of Brown to know he can give us different options when needed, I have been impressed with his contribution when he played, but I agree he has never looked like a goalscorer  yet. Grant paid good money for him so surely he must be part of his long term plans for the team.

It really looks like Grant intends to make Brown, Etuhu and Fotheringham a big part of his plans for next season so I really hope the fans give them a proper chance too.

Will Chris Brown ever be a world class player? no of course not. However how many in this league are.

From the guys time here so far my general feeling is he could be useful for us. Not a 20 goals guy, but a decent enough player at this level to have in the squad.

Not all our players have to be superb first teamers. We need a squad and I see him as being a good part of that. Another option to change the team for certain games, and something to come off the bench.

He still needs time to settle, but given the close season, some good coaching I think he''l'' have a useful impact next season.

Useful may not be enough for some, but all squads need useful biut part players to be successful.

Smudger Wrote:

Iwan had a better goals per game ratio at both Leicester and Wolves prior to signing for us than Brown did for Sunderland however... hence the reason why Iwan cost the best part of a £million and was worth taking the gamble on coming good in the end.

- Peter Thorne had a better goals per game ratio when at Cardiff before he came here, so are you Smudger saying that Thorne is a better player for Norwich than Chris Brown is/could ever be???

As for you being glad he is injured, you should be ashamed of yourself. How can you call yourself a fan of this Club wishing injuries on squad players? Albeit a "fan" of this Club which you choose to boycott games due to some personal crusasde to oust the Board. Idiot...

Despite the venom being spat by the board puff-adders, I have to say, Roy Keane got rid of him and is now pushing for promotion - if he was any good at all, Keane would have kept him.  On the evidence I have seen of him, he extremely limited as a player and does not have a single attribute that will make him a certain starter in any game.

[/quote]

[quote user="JC"]

Despite the venom being spat by the board puff-adders, I have to say, Roy Keane got rid of him and is now pushing for promotion - if he was any good at all, Keane would have kept him.  On the evidence I have seen of him, he extremely limited as a player and does not have a single attribute that will make him a certain starter in any game.

[/quote][/quote]

In some ways it will always come down to the Board and the club''s finances.

Roy Keane has a lot of money and probably little patience to develop players.

Grant continually expresses his desire to teach and coach, and has no where near the same budget.

Norwich City has a long tradition of centre forwards who couldnt score for toffee - Rosario, Biggins, Coney for example, all were better players than Brown. I havent yet forgiven brown for stupisly getting sent off in the FA cup and very nearly getting us knocked out, so he has a way to go to convince me. In my opinion the impact of Martin has been far more influential than Browns contribution when he is avalable.   

[quote user="djcat"]

Smudger Wrote:

- Peter Thorne had a better goals per game ratio when at Cardiff before he came here, so are you Smudger saying that Thorne is a better player for Norwich than Chris Brown is/could ever be???

As for you being glad he is injured, you should be ashamed of yourself. How can you call yourself a fan of this Club wishing injuries on squad players? Albeit a "fan" of this Club which you choose to boycott games due to some personal crusasde to oust the Board. Idiot...

[/quote]

Thorne''s legs had gone though prior to us signing him... The only person that didn''t seem to know this was Worthy it seems.

I think that Brown will be just as bad a signing for us as Thorne... and Brown will not score half the goals that Thorne has scored in his career either!!!

Brown has shown a few nice touches but he is a striker and therefore meant to score goals....

He has headed across goal a few times when he should of headed it in and looked nothing like a goal threat at all... U miss chances through ineptitude not through fitness... his positioning at times also seems questionable.

jas :)

He will go down as Grant''s worse signing..........ever!.

I find the fact that Grant signed him in the first place worries me greatly.

I said so at the time we signed him, and nothing I''ve seen (Yes I have seen him) or heard on this messageboard will not change my view on that.

Whilst I''ll stop short on wishing an injury on the bloke, I''m not guttered that he is injured either, so I think I know where Smudger is coming from on this. If it has forced Grant to try a few of our talented youths who, in my opinion, are already superior to Brown in many ways, then so much the better.