Sign in to follow this  
Smudger

Cureton

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="Big A"][quote user="VAUX"]I thought I saw him at Reading a few years ago, he has performed at this level before!![/quote]

never PERFORMED though did he!!!  Come on guys he has been pretty much non-existent on the pitch for 5 years and now having had 1 good season people use it as an excuse to say they were right and the club was wrong.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing but i certainly haven''t lost any sleep since we got rid of him, he was crap for us and was rightly disposed of......just like Akinbiyi who also had a good spell in his career.......he''ll still be remembered as a crap player though!!!

Lets see how he performs next season.  many crap players have had one good season ( we''ve just sent one out on loan!) doesn''t make them quality players though.

[/quote]

What is all this hindsight thing???

I stated at the time that we shouldn''t of got rid of Cureton (as I did when we got shot of Malky).

They said on the radio today that Cureton scored something like 6 in 23 games for City

Colchester 25 goals in 48 (2) games

Swindon 7 goals in 22 (9) games

QPR 7 goals in 23 (23) games

Reading 54 goals in 87 (48) games

Bristol Rovers 76 goals in 182 (10) games

The stats for City goals that I found say 10 goals in 14 (15) games.

http://www.cu-fc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Squad/PlayerProfiles/0,,10424~9399,00.html

By those peoples standards who say that we were correct to get rid of Cureton... surely they should be saying that we would be right to get rid of Chris Martin now then also (he has a pretty similar strike rate to that of Cureton having played slightly less games).

The figures above prove without any dobt that Cureton is absolute class (always has been and always will be in my eyes)... I was at that infamous match where he shaved his hair off, dyed it green and ran in front of the North Stand patting his head after equalising at Portman Road....

He will forever be a god in any City fans eyes that witnessed that and the remarkable respect that he has shown when netting against this sad excuse for a team that we have at the moment!!!

[/quote]

I don''t remember much of an uproar from the fans when he was sold. He is a decent striker at the lower levels but we were in the Prem at the time and he was neither big enough or quick enough for that.

As for "absolute class", I don''t think so. His one claim to fame for City fans is the goal he scored against Ipswich. All in all he is a decent striker and I am glad to see him doing well at this level but has any big club ever been in for him?

No, and that says it all, the biggest club he ever played for was us.

[/quote]

I wasn''t happy when he left RICARDO....

We were not in the Prem when he was sold either.... we were in this league....  I may be wrong but I do not believe that jamie has ever played a game in the Prem....  see the stats above.... Jamie scored 10 goals in 14 starts and 15 sub appearances for Norwich in this division prior to being sold.

As I have already stated the likes of Chris Brown and even Chris Martin have some way to go in matching those achievements.

It is because there are so many c**p managers out there that a team going for promotion from this league or a Premiership team has never been in for him.... he is a tidy little player and his record speaks for itself I think you will find....   With the exception of Earnie and Hucks I do not think that too many of our current crop  of players will match Cureton''s record at hitting the back of the net over the years.

Great player and we could do far worse than consider taking another look at him if we were to sell Earnie in the summer!!!

[/quote]

You are indeed wrong Smudger. In the 1994/95 Premiership season Cureton scored 4 goals in 9 league and 1 F.A. Cup appearances plus he was a substitute in a further 8 league and 2 cup matches.

In the following season (Div 1) he played 4 games and was substitute 8 times scoring 2 goals.

Stats from "Norwich City The modern Era, A Complete Record"

Sorry Smudger got to disagree with you on this one - just because somebody leaves and turns his career around does not mean that Norwich done the bad deed in getting rid of him in the first place - He was not cutting the mustard with us and we got rid of him due to this fact - how many players leave clubs and then flourish elsewhere - look at that midfielder at Liverpool who has just left West Ham and played a blinder on Saturday against Arsenal.  Could not even get in the West Ham team.  No - it is easy to blame the club for everything but I am afraid that it does not work out like that.  So Cureton has had a good season this year but how long ago was it he left us prior to us mentioning his name again.  Did not hear anyone wishing he was back when we were in the Premiership or when Colchester were in the First Division last year.  How many years do we have to go back before we say we were right in letting someone go.   If Henderson leaves cant see many people arguing with that but that does not mean to say he cant flourish elsewhere and if he does will we all be saying we should have kept him.  Catch 22 is''nt it - if they leave and they are rubbish elsewhere club made a good decision but if they flourish then club is in the wrong.  Thats life and we just need to get on with it.

[quote user="paul moy"]I would just like to confirm that I saw Jamie Cureton play in the Premier League at QPR the season we were relegated. I too believe that he was disposed of far too soon and could have been very productive the following season in the league below. I think he went probably for financial reasons as the club were in a dire situation at the time. I can remember Ashley Ward and Jon Newsome being sold at knockdown prices prior to an away game I watched at Swindon.     [/quote]

Yes ou are right so it seems Paul...  They said on The Championship this morning that Jamie has scored a few at Premiership level also...

Like I said Chris Martin still has a very long way to go in order to match what Jamie Cureton has done in the game.

He would need about 50 goals in this league, plus a few Premiership goals, plus over a hundred goals at a lower level.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="Big A"][quote user="VAUX"]I thought I saw him at Reading a few years ago, he has performed at this level before!![/quote]

never PERFORMED though did he!!!  Come on guys he has been pretty much non-existent on the pitch for 5 years and now having had 1 good season people use it as an excuse to say they were right and the club was wrong.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing but i certainly haven''t lost any sleep since we got rid of him, he was crap for us and was rightly disposed of......just like Akinbiyi who also had a good spell in his career.......he''ll still be remembered as a crap player though!!!

Lets see how he performs next season.  many crap players have had one good season ( we''ve just sent one out on loan!) doesn''t make them quality players though.

[/quote]

What is all this hindsight thing???

I stated at the time that we shouldn''t of got rid of Cureton (as I did when we got shot of Malky).

They said on the radio today that Cureton scored something like 6 in 23 games for City

Colchester 25 goals in 48 (2) games

Swindon 7 goals in 22 (9) games

QPR 7 goals in 23 (23) games

Reading 54 goals in 87 (48) games

Bristol Rovers 76 goals in 182 (10) games

The stats for City goals that I found say 10 goals in 14 (15) games.

http://www.cu-fc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Squad/PlayerProfiles/0,,10424~9399,00.html

By those peoples standards who say that we were correct to get rid of Cureton... surely they should be saying that we would be right to get rid of Chris Martin now then also (he has a pretty similar strike rate to that of Cureton having played slightly less games).

The figures above prove without any dobt that Cureton is absolute class (always has been and always will be in my eyes)... I was at that infamous match where he shaved his hair off, dyed it green and ran in front of the North Stand patting his head after equalising at Portman Road....

He will forever be a god in any City fans eyes that witnessed that and the remarkable respect that he has shown when netting against this sad excuse for a team that we have at the moment!!!

[/quote]

I don''t remember much of an uproar from the fans when he was sold. He is a decent striker at the lower levels but we were in the Prem at the time and he was neither big enough or quick enough for that.

As for "absolute class", I don''t think so. His one claim to fame for City fans is the goal he scored against Ipswich. All in all he is a decent striker and I am glad to see him doing well at this level but has any big club ever been in for him?

No, and that says it all, the biggest club he ever played for was us.

[/quote]

I wasn''t happy when he left RICARDO....

We were not in the Prem when he was sold either.... we were in this league....  I may be wrong but I do not believe that jamie has ever played a game in the Prem....  see the stats above.... Jamie scored 10 goals in 14 starts and 15 sub appearances for Norwich in this division prior to being sold.

As I have already stated the likes of Chris Brown and even Chris Martin have some way to go in matching those achievements.

It is because there are so many c**p managers out there that a team going for promotion from this league or a Premiership team has never been in for him.... he is a tidy little player and his record speaks for itself I think you will find....   With the exception of Earnie and Hucks I do not think that too many of our current crop  of players will match Cureton''s record at hitting the back of the net over the years.

Great player and we could do far worse than consider taking another look at him if we were to sell Earnie in the summer!!!

[/quote]

You are indeed wrong Smudger. In the 1994/95 Premiership season Cureton scored 4 goals in 9 league and 1 F.A. Cup appearances plus he was a substitute in a further 8 league and 2 cup matches.

In the following season (Div 1) he played 4 games and was substitute 8 times scoring 2 goals.

Stats from "Norwich City The modern Era, A Complete Record"

[/quote]

Ahh but who is to say that he stats ou have found are right and the ones that I have found are wrong Ricardo???

I must admit I was wrong on one thing... Jamie Cureton has played and scored in the Premiership for Norwich.

Navman... considering the strike rate that Jamie had prior to us letting him go I believed that it was an error at the time (and apart from the time that he spent with Swindon, QPR and in the Far East have seen little to change my mind).

I certainly was saying that I hoped we could of signed him back when he was banging them in for Reading!!!

He is probably getting on a bit to consider bringing back now (I believe he is 32 this year) but would still consider it if he was available on the cheap or on a free (I know that ain''t going to happen though)...  I did say to my friends & family last year though (when he was at Colchester on loan I believe and being left out of the team after scoring a few) that we could do worse than getting him back here.

Henderson is c**p.... never rated him and never will do!!!