Sign in to follow this  
Smudger

Cureton

Never shoould of got rid of him...

Class striker who was probably disposed of due to his attitude more than anything else imo.

Has performed consistently well at whatever club he has been at and it is a shame that he has not been given the chance at a higher level.

I thought I saw him at Reading a few years ago, he has performed at this level before!!

[quote user="Chris Meadows"]this is the first season he has performed at this level[/quote]

I beg to differ.......

[quote user="VAUX"]I thought I saw him at Reading a few years ago, he has performed at this level before!![/quote]

Yeah, was at Reading and was at QPR last season too. He has played in this division before, and, of course, The Premiership with us.

[quote user="VAUX"]I thought I saw him at Reading a few years ago, he has performed at this level before!![/quote]

Yes he was at Reading and scored more than a few for them at this level too!!!

[quote user="VAUX"]I thought I saw him at Reading a few years ago, he has performed at this level before!![/quote]never PERFORMED though did he!!!  Come on guys he has been pretty much non-existent on the pitch for 5 years and now having had 1 good season people use it as an excuse to say they were right and the club was wrong.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing but i certainly haven''t lost any sleep since we got rid of him, he was crap for us and was rightly disposed of......just like Akinbiyi who also had a good spell in his career.......he''ll still be remembered as a crap player though!!!Lets see how he performs next season.  many crap players have had one good season ( we''ve just sent one out on loan!) doesn''t make them quality players though.

[quote user="Chris Meadows"]this is the first season he has performed at this level[/quote]

us, QPR, Reading and Colchester.. yep..  1st time at this level

jas :)

take away this season and he has a record of 15gls in 69 league games at this level, very effective as you all say.

I rated him whilst he was here but we needed the money and he hasn''t exactly been a consistent performer at this level for the majority of the last 10years has he

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

where have i said this is his first time at this level?

[quote user="Big A"][quote user="VAUX"]I thought I saw him at Reading a few years ago, he has performed at this level before!![/quote]

never PERFORMED though did he!!!  Come on guys he has been pretty much non-existent on the pitch for 5 years and now having had 1 good season people use it as an excuse to say they were right and the club was wrong.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing but i certainly haven''t lost any sleep since we got rid of him, he was crap for us and was rightly disposed of......just like Akinbiyi who also had a good spell in his career.......he''ll still be remembered as a crap player though!!!

Lets see how he performs next season.  many crap players have had one good season ( we''ve just sent one out on loan!) doesn''t make them quality players though.

[/quote]

What is all this hindsight thing???

I stated at the time that we shouldn''t of got rid of Cureton (as I did when we got shot of Malky).

They said on the radio today that Cureton scored something like 6 in 23 games for City

Colchester 25 goals in 48 (2) games

Swindon 7 goals in 22 (9) games

QPR 7 goals in 23 (23) games

Reading 54 goals in 87 (48) games

Bristol Rovers 76 goals in 182 (10) games

The stats for City goals that I found say 10 goals in 14 (15) games.

http://www.cu-fc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Squad/PlayerProfiles/0,,10424~9399,00.html

By those peoples standards who say that we were correct to get rid of Cureton... surely they should be saying that we would be right to get rid of Chris Martin now then also (he has a pretty similar strike rate to that of Cureton having played slightly less games).

The figures above prove without any dobt that Cureton is absolute class (always has been and always will be in my eyes)... I was at that infamous match where he shaved his hair off, dyed it green and ran in front of the North Stand patting his head after equalising at Portman Road....

He will forever be a god in any City fans eyes that witnessed that and the remarkable respect that he has shown when netting against this sad excuse for a team that we have at the moment!!!

[quote user="Chris Meadows"]

take away this season and he has a record of 15gls in 69 league games at this level, very effective as you all say.

I rated him whilst he was here but we needed the money and he hasn''t exactly been a consistent performer at this level for the majority of the last 10years has he

[/quote]

Yep spot on again Chris...  Cureton scored 9 goals for Reading in this division in the 2002-03 season and 10 for us (prior to being sold) in a total of 28 games (30 as sub).

Lets see how many goals Chris Martin and Chris Brown get between themm in 28 games shall we?

So far they have about 5 between them in about 8 games each???  Both have a long way to go to matching Cureton''s record at this level 9even prior to this season).

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="Big A"][quote user="VAUX"]I thought I saw him at Reading a few years ago, he has performed at this level before!![/quote]

never PERFORMED though did he!!!  Come on guys he has been pretty much non-existent on the pitch for 5 years and now having had 1 good season people use it as an excuse to say they were right and the club was wrong.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing but i certainly haven''t lost any sleep since we got rid of him, he was crap for us and was rightly disposed of......just like Akinbiyi who also had a good spell in his career.......he''ll still be remembered as a crap player though!!!

Lets see how he performs next season.  many crap players have had one good season ( we''ve just sent one out on loan!) doesn''t make them quality players though.

[/quote]

I stated at the time that we shouldn''t of got rid of Cureton (as I did when we got shot of Malky).

They said on the radio today that Cureton scored something like 6 in 23 games for City

http://www.cu-fc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Squad/PlayerProfiles/0,,10424~9399,00.html

By those peoples standards who say that we were correct to get rid of Cureton... surely they should be saying that we would be right to get rid of Chris Martin now then also (he has a pretty similar strike rate to that of Cureton having played slightly less games).

The figures above prove without any dobt that Cureton is absolute class (always has been and always will be in my eyes)... I was at that infamous match where he shaved his hair off, dyed it green and ran in front of the North Stand patting his head after equalising at Portman Road....

He will forever be a god in any City fans eyes that witnessed that and the remarkable respect that he has shown when netting against this sad excuse for a team that we have at the moment!!!

[/quote]

I don''t remember much of an uproar from the fans when he was sold. He is a decent striker at the lower levels but we were in the Prem at the time and he was neither big enough or quick enough for that.

As for "absolute class", I don''t think so. His one claim to fame for City fans is the goal he scored against Ipswich. All in all he is a decent striker and I am glad to see him doing well at this level but has any big club ever been in for him?

No, and that says it all, the biggest club he ever played for was us.

Didn''t we have a surplus of such quality players at the club when he left?  Only in 2007 would he be considered a superstar at Carrow Road given the dire lot currently on show. He was a quality act....and dispensable only because of his attitude. Personally I''m chuffed that he has done so well since leaving....and no doubt he enjoyed the 3-0 hiding our lot took today.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don''t remember much of an uproar from the fans when he was sold. He is a decent striker at the lower levels but we were in the Prem at the time and he was neither big enough or quick enough for that.

As for "absolute class", I don''t think so. His one claim to fame for City fans is the goal he scored against Ipswich. All in all he is a decent striker and I am glad to see him doing well at this level but has any big club ever been in for him?

[/quote]

I seem to remember Jamie, scoring with a header after coming on as a sub against Chelsea at Carra when, he was but a ''bambino''.......His only ''preventable'' problems were; being a young impressionable lover of the sauce and frequent attendee our local nightlife.....and unfortunately the inability to maintain an acceptable level of fitness during the close-season.......Therefore, on his return, and consultation with the disappointed manager, off he went to Bristol Rovers and scored a few an'' stuff - before signing for Reading and various other clubs.

I personally thought he would have been a ''true legend'' at City, if he''d not been a tadge wayward - and had been quickly counselled on how to become a pro-footyballer, and not a Frank Worthington "Booze, Birds ''n'' Boots" bloke. Still, the old chestnut of ''hindsight'' raises its usual head again.

But, even for all his misdemeanor''s - I rated him then........and I still do.[Y] ;~)  

I don''t think Cureton is a player that would be seen as ''class'' by many. Class to most would be Bergkamp, Cantona, Van Basten, Maradona, Cruyff, Best, Shearer etc. To be honest, if Martin keeps his head down, I''ll bet anyone he goes alot further than Cureton...

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I wasn''t happy when he left RICARDO....

We were not in the Prem when he was sold either.... we were in this league....  I may be wrong but I do not believe that jamie has ever played a game in the Prem....  see the stats above.... Jamie scored 10 goals in 14 starts and 15 sub appearances for Norwich in this division prior to being sold.

As I have already stated the likes of Chris Brown and even Chris Martin have some way to go in matching those achievements.

It is because there are so many c**p managers out there that a team going for promotion from this league or a Premiership team has never been in for him.... he is a tidy little player and his record speaks for itself I think you will find....   With the exception of Earnie and Hucks I do not think that too many of our current crop  of players will match Cureton''s record at hitting the back of the net over the years.

Great player and we could do far worse than consider taking another look at him if we were to sell Earnie in the summer!!!

Jamie Cureton What a Bargain!

Without his late, late equalizer on the last day of the season a few years ago at Brentford to get promoted out of League One/Divison 2/Division 3 (delete depending on your age). Reading wouldn''t be playing at Spurs in Premier League tomorrow, Pardew would have been sacked by Reading and never managed West Ham, so Grant wouldn''t have been his assistant and become manager of Norwich.

Nice one Jamie!

He''s done well this season. It was inevitable he was going to score today. When he signed for Colchester he said that one of the main reasons was because of Iwelumo and their partnership. Clearly shows that he values his strike partner and it''s certainly worked for Colchester!

On another note I saw that Colchester''s crowd today was under 6000! That''s pathetic when they''re doing well. It would be a joke if they got promoted to the premiership!

So if Cureton had a very quiet game yesterday Smudge, would you still be saying how we should never have got rid of him?

Failry predictable I guess...

[quote user="Alex Harvey-Jones"]

He''s done well this season. It was inevitable he was going to score today. When he signed for Colchester he said that one of the main reasons was because of Iwelumo and their partnership. Clearly shows that he values his strike partner and it''s certainly worked for Colchester!

On another note I saw that Colchester''s crowd today was under 6000! That''s pathetic when they''re doing well. It would be a joke if they got promoted to the premiership!

[/quote]

Their capacity is only 6100!!

Again, my take on Cureton is that he is a decent striker at the lower levels. The real questions as to his ability are these............

Has any Prem manager ever come in for him

Err No

Would anyone swap him for Earnie, Hucks or young Martin

Err  No

Therefore should we buy him?

[quote user="Chris Meadows"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

where have i said this is his first time at this level?

[/quote]

Ha ha! u have just proven that u did

"this is the first time he has performed at this level" means "this is the firs season he has performed at this level."

EG: "im going shopping tommorow" means the same as "tommorow i will go shopping". the words mean exatcly the same!

I would just like to confirm that I saw Jamie Cureton play in the Premier League at QPR the season we were relegated. I too believe that he was disposed of far too soon and could have been very productive the following season in the league below. I think he went probably for financial reasons as the club were in a dire situation at the time. I can remember Ashley Ward and Jon Newsome being sold at knockdown prices prior to an away game I watched at Swindon.     

Great interview on Radio Essex after the game.

He thanked the Norwich fans for the wonderful reception he''d received and said he''d never celebrate a goal against us because we gave him his career and we''ll always be special to him..

Nice lad and I ''m pleased hes doing so well at Colchester