Sign in to follow this  
Cheerio

Drugs in football

Had a very interesting conversation with a couple of ..... pro footballers tonight.Cocaine use amongst footballers is rather predictably rife. The random checks promised by the FA are non existant - there is ample warning telegraphed to agents way before any tests are done - as the bleached hair syndrome would suggest / confirm.Is this possibly the reason why so many teams (no names mentioned ahem) prove so unpredictable? Lets face it, you''re 20 - 30 years old, getting £5k+ a week...... you''re a target for coacine dealers left right and centre. Lets not be naive, how many people here DON''T know where to buy the stuff.... every other bar has a contact.... or five. So imagine the approaches the players get. Lots of cash, lots of social time.....Just what controls are in place to ensure we, the paying punter are getting what we pay for? Naff all.....I dont blame the players, but rhe people who manage these kids lives need a wake up call........

so 2 footballers are going to tell a random stranger.. who could easily sell the story to the press and make a few quid... that footballers are smack heads?

which dream was this then diesel?

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

......a random stranger.......

[/quote]Your words not mine.....Assumption is the mother......

Its what I`ve been hinting at for a long time , Spilt Diesel !   the clubbing culture , easy access to hard drugs , huge wages , loads of time on their hands .....   don`t look to the FA though , they are thoroughly corrupt !   drug tests will be pathetically few , and any  positive tests will be rapidly  whitewashed out of existance  ......  wouldn`t want the prem profit gravy train to be  halted , now would we ?  

Question  aimed at NCFC  specifically , are your players regularly tested for banned drugs ?  if so  , do you publish the results ?    its the public who are paying sizeable dosh through the turnstiles ,  they deserve an answer to that question !  we don`t want to see the result of a match   dominated by drugged up players !      simple as that !

I asked if they''d ever been tested. The policy is apparently only to test anyone ''suspected'' of using drugs. LOLIts long been the opinion of the terraces that its the most likely explanation for the massive inconsistancy shown by certail players, yet the media by and large leave it alone. I''m not suggesting the instigation of a witch hunt - I''m not particularly anti drug - but it is rather strange that the drug / gambling culture in football is largely overlooked.

No fear of our current lackadaisical and ''ho hum'' squad being tested for performance enhancing substances.......[|-)]

No Drugs, (and not just in pro-sport) thank-you! With heavy penalties including instant dismissal if tested positive, and with no departing financial handshake. If they can afford to fund a cocaine habit, and pay a substantial amount of their over-inflated wages to the sleazy pushers......."Cheerio, Bye! Enjoy the job-search Mr ex-pro!" No sympathy either, if they ''blubber'' for the media and promise not to do it again. If, which is a distinct and likely possibility, they also have gambling debts then sell their assets and also punish their ''reputable'' and ''straight as they come'' agents

Illness and addiction my ar$e!.......Too much free cash and time on their hands.......Drugs are for Duffers! [N]

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

No fear of our current lackadaisical and ''ho hum'' squad being tested for performance enhancing substances.......[|-)]

No Drugs, (and not just in pro-sport) thank-you! With heavy penalties including instant dismissal if tested positive, and with no departing financial handshake. If they can afford to fund a cocaine habit, and pay a substantial amount of their over-inflated wages to the sleazy pushers......."Cheerio, Bye! Enjoy the job-search Mr ex-pro!" No sympathy either, if they ''blubber'' for the media and promise not to do it again. If, which is a distinct and likely possibility, they also have gambling debts then sell their assets and also punish their ''reputable'' and ''straight as they come'' agents

Illness and addiction my ar$e!.......Too much free cash and time on their hands.......Drugs are for Duffers! [N]

[/quote]

Performance enhancing drugs  Mellow ?    surely they are for players  who care?   there`s drugs which , actually , do the opposite !  aren`t there ?   

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

......Drugs are for Duffers! [N]

[/quote]

Tea. Coffee. Chocolate. Tobacco (def ban that one) Alcohol...... Lot of ''duffers'' (?) out there

[/quote]

Since when has chocolate been a drug.......Smartie!

[quote user="sheded"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

Performance enhancing drugs  Mellow ?    surely they are for players  who care?   there`s drugs which , actually , do the opposite !  aren`t there ?   

[/quote]

Performance enhancing drugs are for those that care? Your hallucinating chum........Careful with the mushrooms you pick for your brekkie![:P]

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

......Drugs are for Duffers! [N]

[/quote]

Tea. Coffee. Chocolate. Tobacco (def ban that one) Alcohol...... Lot of ''duffers'' (?) out there

[/quote]

Since when has chocolate been a drug.......Smartie!

[/quote]

Chocolate contains approx 0.5-2.5% Theobromine an alkaloid similar to caffeine.

Prince Charles once had a racehorse disqualified from winning a valuable race for failing a doping test. Turned out the stable lad had given the nag just one half of a mars bar one week before the race. Animals can''t metabolise Theobromine very quickly at all which is why you should never give a dog chocolate.

Thought that would stop your snickering..........

Mello Yello wrote "Since when has chocolate been a drug.......Smartie!"

Since the Aztecs and Incas used to drink a hot unsweetened chocolate drink for ceremonial purposes (and probably before), it was certainly regarded as a drug that produced an enhanced sense of well being on its introduction to Europe in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries  - I also think you will find that a lot of medical practitioners and nutritionists would currently agree that it is a drug.  

Sorry to be pedantic but you did ask.   

Performance enhancing drugs are for those that care? Your hallucinating chum........Careful with the mushrooms you pick for your brekkie!Stick out tongue [:P]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What you read , Mellow ,  was a heavily censored version of the post I sent !  so it came out  little short of  completely daft !  ........ 

A lot of posters here  seem to have some difficulty in grasping  the concept of  serious drug abuse !   maybe they wont  want to admit the possibility  that  some of our players  could be  , for instance , in the habit of smoking pot regularly ?     and that we might be shelling out our hard earned at the turnstiles   , to watch   these players strolling about as if they couldn`t care less !      all I asked is do our players get checked  for drugs? and , if not , why not ?  

If I am being perfectly honest, as long as a player isn''t taking a drug to enhance performance and is only doing it recreationally outside of football, I don''t see what the problem is.What makes smoking pot recreationally any worse than drinking recreationally? Nothing!Of course it''s a different story if a player is hooked on something more sinister (coke/crack, heroin, alcohol) and its ruining them!The problem is, most people''s knowledge on such substances comes almost entirely from the popular media which makes most peoples opinions rather ill-informed.If it''s not effecting their football, whats the problem?

Captain Obvious  ,  heres the prob ,  taking  your " recreational  " drugs   might pass unnoticed  among  the general population , but when a footballer , who depends  on athleticism and  sharp  responses  starts taking them  , it really does go tits up !   

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The short-term effects of marijuana can include problems with memory and learning; distorted perception; difficulty in thinking and problem solving; loss of coordination; and increased heart rate. Research findings for long-term marijuana abuse indicate some changes in the brain similar to those seen after long-term abuse of other major drugs. For example, cannabinoid (THC or synthetic forms of THC) withdrawal in chronically exposed animals leads to an increase in the activation of the stress-response system5 and changes in the activity of nerve cells containing dopamine6. Dopamine neurons are involved in the regulation of motivation and reward, and are directly or indirectly affected by all drugs of abuse.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not a pretty picture eh ?   footballer have NO business taking these drugs ,  they are cheating  the fans  if they do so  ,  the big question is , IF they are found  positive  ....... exactly WHAT is the club  , and the FA going to DO about it ?    ........... any answers to that question ?

I think you''ve got it about right here CO, it does seem strange that people are much less concerned that a player might be drinking alcohol recreationally when I would think that this is just as likely to result in substandard performances as the other drugs mentioned. Simply because something is legal/illegal seems to be an arbitrary basis for condemning/condoning its use in this context.   

In reply to the informative ''cocoacaine'' replies, I stand corrected in my comment regarding choccy not being a drug. I have therefore, booked my kids into the Betty Ford clinic - after they seriously over-indulged in creme eggs, and are currently half-smilin'' and semi-comatose on the settee - and are causing me great concern.

Maybe it''s just that I''d prefer to stand on a discarded Mars Bar wrapper - than a used syringe in a kiddies playground.

Wouldn''t a bit of the green stuff just before a game give our players increased awareness and more time on the ball? Works for me... [;)]Seriously though, regardless of the origins of the story or any cynicism, it''s certainly an important point.  I agree that the whole drug and gambling culture in football is all but ignored by the FA, with tests being lax in nature and predictable. It''s strange that the FA don''t want to go upsetting their precious prized assetts and the key to so much money for the clubs from Sky, but not entirely unsurprising...

[quote user="sheded"]

....... exactly WHAT is the club  , and the FA going to DO about it ?    ........... any answers to that question ?

[/quote]Ask Chelsea and Mutu

Sheded, yes you make a valid point about pot but, for the sake of balance, lets see a similarly medical analysis of the effects of alcohol - both long and short term.

Its all beeen going on a long time now.  Whether a person chooses to use drugs is totally their own prerogative.  Its only when others get involved that it should become an issue.  I myself saw a certain ex-city player popping pills in Time nightclub.  It didn''t enhance or take away any football ability, he was crap.  Cocaine, ecstasy are 2 drugs which are totally out of your system within 24 hrs so if a player chooses to do some on a saturday after a game is up to him, it won''t do anything to how he plays on the following Wednesday or Saturday.  Unless of course, he becomes an addict.

[quote user="bigbear"] Cocaine, ecstasy are 2 drugs which are totally out of your system within 24 hrs so if a player chooses to do some on a saturday after a game is up to him, it won''t do anything to how he plays on the following Wednesday or Saturday. [/quote]Complete fantasy. Cocaine can be traced in hair follicles for up to three months. Remember the Romanian team who turned up for France 98 with bleached hair..... Its the only way to hide it.

LOL   Perm , I think the  booze thing  is well    researched  !      to say the least  ..... 

How about a cocktail of both ?    who goes into a club  and drinks water ?    so we have  booze AND  pot  ( if not worse )   .   Now , I don`t give a flying  flick  if your  average  joe wants to wreck their health  ,  but   I sure as hell  DO  if I`m paying hard earned dosh   to watch some hung over . semi drugged up , player , taking the piss  on the field !    drug tests  are regular  for athletes  ( at least I hope they are ! )    so why not  footballers ?      hell !  we all know why not ... don`t we ? [;)]

Drugs tests are mandatory in football and Agents are not given 1 months notice... what is it to them if a player has to have a drugs test.. an Agent wont give 2 hootsa as thres no money to be made from it... they get paid when a player leaves their current club.. the rest of the time they dont give a hoot.

As drugs test can be done on the spot any player (such as Mutu and Ferdinand) can be found to be guilty at any tijme.. Adrian Mutu is lucky he isnt stacking shelves in his local Romanian supermarket for a living because of the way Cheslsea tried to ensure he never played again after his drugs ban.. teams and th FA/Fifa whoever are tough on this sort of thing.. and rightly so.

jas :)