Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Manager's commissions on player sales.

I see that it has emerged after ''the Mike Newell revelations'' that it is not unusual for football club managers to have a clause in their contracts entitling them to a percentage (or similar) of the fees received for players sold. Unless matched by a payment the other way for players bought, this arrangement seems to me lopsided - and rather weird, to say the least!

I wonder if Worthy was on such an ''incentive scheme''?

But I will lay a wager that the NCFC board will not comment on the matter.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

I see that it has emerged after ''the Mike Newell revelations'' that it is not unusual for football club managers to have a clause in their contracts entitling them to a percentage (or similar) of the fees received for players sold. Unless matched by a payment the other way for players bought, this arrangement seems to me lopsided - and rather weird, to say the least!

OTBC

[/quote]

I''ll bung you a fiver for writin'' that post bly.........I agree, that ''no comment'' would be forthcoming regarding the ''incentive scheme''........"All the transfer dealin'' is above board" or somethin'' similar, I seem to remember the Cheese Executive sayin'' sometime ago.......

norwich have been using bungs for ages, cardiff payed nigel worthington £4.99 to take peter thorne, and bryan hamilton made a total of £12.45 for all of his forigen signings (de waard etc)

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

if worthy was on the scheme then the club are laughing! we released most of players on frees!

jas :)

I''d understood that the commision was paid on the profits made, not the fee.

This would make more sense as a manager could buy a good prospect for a low price, bring him on and later sell him for a good proffit. Everyones a winner, club, manager and player.

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half"]Officially it would b illegal
[/quote]

Apparently Newell''s clause of a 10% share on transfer profits was within regulations...

[quote user="mbncfc"]

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half"]Officially it would b illegal
[/quote]

Apparently Newell''s clause of a 10% share on transfer profits was within regulations...

[/quote]

Sorry, I also wanted to say that I guess it is similar to when a manager has a stake in the club too. At that point they would also be set to make or lose money depending on the club''s success.

I think it is right that the system can be abused though, and it doesn''t really help Mr Newell after his rantings. He made good points and brought a worthwhile issue into discussion, but clearly his own contract raises more questions about his own interests. Not that he needs to worry about these anymore of course... [:P]

Dario Gradi at Crewe is one of the best payed managers in the football league due to a high percentage fee he receives for youngsters sold on having been brought through the youth system

I suppose it''s all down to what the Club and any would be manager actually negotiate at the time that the latter signs his contract.

Luton were clearly happy to agree it in the first place, so they shouldn''t really moan about it afterwards, especially as they know they are probably going to have to sell players on a regular basis anyway to make ends meet.

Not sure if it''s common practice or not but might help explain why certain managers are bigger "wheeler dealers" than others. Just a thought.