Sign in to follow this  
Matt_1

DION DUBLIN

..has been rather overshadowed during recent speculation around who will stay and who will go.

Particularly with the Drury story about wanting to stay...and therefore must be feeling a little insecure....Dion Dublin MUST surely be the man to take a captains armband for maybe his last season. 

He has shown enormous leadership qualities in his time here, and is the refreshing experience we have been lacking in recent times.

I for one,  sincerely hope he is here next year, along side our Hucks, Earnshaw, and emerging talent (at last) in the form of Martin.

[quote user="Matt"]

Dion Dublin MUST surely be the man to take a captains armband for maybe his last season. 

He has shown enormous leadership qualities in his time here, and is the refreshing experience we have been lacking in recent times.

I for one,  sincerely hope he is here next year, along side our Hucks, Earnshaw, and emerging talent (at last) in the form of Martin.

[/quote]

I agree we must sign Dublin for another year. However I wouldn''t give him the captains armband for two reasons.

1, Dion will not be able to play week in week out. He will have to be handled very carefully.

2, With or without the armband Dion will lead the team anyway.

Hopefully some of the younger boys will learn a lesson from Dion about looking after themselves and not going down the same road as Mulryne and Mcveigh.

A real leader doesnt need the captains armband as Dion has already shown.

At his age Dion is not likely to play more the 50% of the games, assuming we are able to keep hold of him next season.  As such I think another player should be captain as some continuity is needed from game to game. 

Shackell has become less like a leader this season and none of the others appear to be capable,  so Drury is should remain; 

Maybe it is the boost Dickson needs to become more influential for longer? 

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

A real leader doesnt need the captains armband as Dion has already shown.

At his age Dion is not likely to play more the 50% of the games, assuming we are able to keep hold of him next season.  As such I think another player should be captain as some continuity is needed from game to game. 

Shackell has become less like a leader this season and none of the others appear to be capable,  so Drury is should remain; 

Maybe it is the boost Dickson needs to become more influential for longer? 

[/quote]

Dickson !!    a captain ??     the only boost dickson needs   is a rocket in his arse !    Grant has given the band to Hucks twice recently ......form your own conclusions !

A good point about the number of games he will be involved in. I overlooked that.  Club captain perhaps? 

Team captain .. who shouts a lot? ala John Terry style?  I cant really think of anyone else apart from maybe huckerby but thats usually shouting at the ref.....

How about the two new guys, fotheringham and lappin?  Assuming they pick up a regular slot have they shown any leadership qualities yet?  Haven''t seen them play yet so just wondering from any of you that have.

you can argue that dublin will lead the team with or without the armband.... but if he is doing it without the armband - what is the person with the armband going to be doing? could it cause conflicts?

i personally think that as dion has shown that he can lead the team, and he can spurr the other players into doing something then he should be REWARDED with the band of captaincy, as a sign of appreciation from the club.

he is a great man, he wont be playing for much longer.

captain?......... why not.

Generally I think we have done rather well when captained and led from centre half. My vote goes to Shackell - leader of the ''next generation" and a local lad to boot.

OTBC

I don''t think Dion will be here next season. He will move somewhere where he can play and coach, which is not here following PG''s backroom reshuffle.

Personally I do not see this as a problem, providing the squad is strengthened by PG in the right areas over the summer. I have a hope/feeling PG will bring in a player over the summer who he will consider to be his new captain - someone with bite and leadership. At that point the need for Dion diminishes significantly.

I think Dion has been both excellent and extremely important in our survival this year. But the point still remains that I''m sure he''s earning a fair whack for his trouble, and there really is no future in it.

In my mind it is thank you Dion, and rebuild away in the summer PG.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Generally I think we have done rather well when captained and led from centre half. My vote goes to Shackell - leader of the ''next generation" and a local lad to boot.

OTBC

[/quote]

I know he has been around for some time, but I don''t think he is a local lad, I thought he came from Stevenage or somewhere like that.