Sign in to follow this  
ncfc4eva

svensson

i would just like to say i find the critisism matt svensson has come in to its a tad harsh.
i think we all know NW brought him here as a target man to replace the irreplaceable iwan roberts. we all know the physical and mental presence iwan has on our team.especially in the air. and i cant think of anyone who can bring to our team what he has-except of course mr crouch...svensson has come here and has been told he is here for a target man.but as soon as he doesnt win a 50-50 header he is in for critsism.svensson has incredible footwork and if people noticed at the palace game, the amount of times he picked the ball up and spread the play was superb.he will not win as many headers as roberts has and will not make a big as impact as huckerby has on the club.but i went to the palace game and thought when the crowd started chanting ''iwan''...that this was unacceptable and disgusting.what must that have done to svensson''s confidence as i think we all know it was directed to take svensson off.and i must admit svensson did not set the world alight at palace.and was not as strong as he should have been.but people are comparing him to iwan,this cannot be done.many players on saturday were not pulling there weight for a team fighting for promotion.mcveigh has been poor for a number of games now and needs a rest.the young lads brought in were not gd enough.i belive in time they will be, but not enough quality was there.is brennan injured???instead of moaning AT the players at this point in the season we should be encouraging them and giving them support and apart from the ''iwan'' incident on saturday i thought the crowd were fantastic.keep it up.lets acknowledge the good things the players do.i just found that singling out svensson for critisism on saturday was not fair.the whole team were not good enough,although i thought mr holt was superb and mulryne was very good too.
sorry for that....dont shout at me too much!

ncfc4eva

I take your points. I wouldn''t be so disappointed if Sven won, say, 40% of the balls knocked up to him. But at the moment he is winning virtually none. I agree that he can spread the ball about well but so can McKenzie. McKenzie looked a lot more lively when he came on than Sven did all day. What''s the point in playing a target man who doesn''t win the ball in the air? He is skillful, but if were going to play a skillful player with Hucks, give McKenzie a chance.

i agree with 100% of your points.just thought the critsism he is recieving is unfair and must have knocked his confidence a great deal which cannot have done any good.he was great against west brom and west ham and at the cardiff game was man of the match..according to the pink un..so i just found it very surprising how many people have been quick to slate and have a good moan about him.

DD,
Agree with you on this one,he doesn''t do it for me either and I think its time to give Leon a start with Hucks,will need to keep the ball on the ground and cut out the high balls though.Can I also add that the supporters,behind me in block T who were moaning at Sven and chanting for Iwan,should be ashamed of themselves.No he didnt have a good game but chanting for Iwan when he made mistakes wouldn''t have done his confidence any good at all.Stay at home if you cant support the eleven on the pitch!

As I have said on a number of boards now, although Svensson hasn´t set the world alight, he has some good qualities, and does, despite some people´s comments, try hard. He is going to play an important part in the run in, it will not help by getting on his back

Give Sven a break, if it''s not Hendo, it''s Rivers, Easton or Muller''s, the pitch, the weather or misalignment of the planets etc. etc. The bloke had a bad game, so did a large percentage of the team! I rate him! Huck''s contribution was below par, are we calling for his head? Constructive criticism is welcome, but the team don''t need reminding that they were poor! NW and their own self assessment plus the unfortunate result will highlight their shortcomings and deficiences and will hopefully be resolved for the future.

Everyone seems to be looking for a scapegoat! Nerves and tension are creeping in [the last few results indicate that!] It''s not a stroll in the park it''s more like having to walk across the Arctic Tundra in winter without snowshoes. Anyone who says they don''t feel it, is either mentally deficient or a compulsive liar! I''m mentally deficient and a compulsive liar, but every game between now and cease of play 9th May 2004 is costing me my hair, fingernails, beyond repair vocal chords and possibly what remains of my sanity!

Yes! we all can be armchair managers and tactical geniuses, but keep the faith and get behind the team, because what we have is all we have! and the likely addition of "new-blood," is highly unlikely till the close season...

I have to agree that Sven is receiving far too much criticism for the failings of other players, mainly the midfield.

His strength is not winning balls at head height for flick ons etc. For one the midfield are never close enough to take advantage and 9 times out of 10 an opponent picks up the ball - it is no longer a real tactic in the modern game to base a game plan around. Despite this he does win his share of aerial ball and matches Iwan in this respect despite what the blind faithful may beleive.

Unfortunately the quality of ball from the midfield and further back means that far to frequently Sven his having to chase 30 yards to reach the ball before having to jump for it. Even when Crouch was here and I lost count of the number of times he either could not reach the ball as it was too high (at 6''7!) or had to jump to take it high on the chest! Sven has shown that his he gets the ball at chest level or below his ability to bring players in to the game is superb. That is what a target man is about - offering himself as available for the back 8, holding the ball and laying the ball off. However no target man can play the ball if it is not playable.

Sven v Iwan - its no contest - Sven is more mobile, brings players into the game better, conceeds fewer needless free kicks and has an infinitely better touch - how many times has a good ball into Iwan been lost because he had to chase it for 5 yards as the ball spun away from him??? And didnt he have a couple of good efforts saved on Saturday and looked more likely to score than Hux?

Give the bloke some support.

OTBC