Sign in to follow this  
The Machine

SHAX

I''m not saying this is gonna happen, but my mate works with a Wigan scout and he was at carra rd watching the stoke game, he was sent to watch shax, so don''t be surprised if we get a summer bid for him!!

If the money is good I’d take it. Highly overrated. The lads ok but that''s all. Weak headers that fall to the next attacking midfielder will be harshly punished in the premiership.

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]

If the money is good I’d take it. Highly overrated. The lads ok but that''s all. Weak headers that fall to the next attacking midfielder will be harshly punished in the premiership.

[/quote] I guess you don''t watch Shackell much and you must be confusing him with Doherty.  The majority of Shackell''s headers go forward and well into the opposition half, unlike Doherty who heads the ball upwards and backwards.  If Shackell has a weakness it is his distribution, but that can be improved by the current coaching staff.  Shackell has the potential to make captain and I''m sure Grant has no intentions of selling him.

shacks is a good defender but he can''t play the ball out of defence other than head down and a cross field wedge to the right mid fielder, watch him i guarantee you that he do it 8 or 9 times....

I think I have to disagree with you mate. Shacks is one of our most underrated performers. It is because he does the simple things well, and his good positional sense so he isnt chasing the game that doesnt make him all that noticeable.

Shacks coped pretty well in a poor team against some top class strikers in 2004/5. I wouldnt want him to leave. Apart from the huge hole he would leave in defence, we need to be building a club around talented young players like him.

If Wigan were serious, I would hold out for £2.5 / 3m at least.

PS Jarvis just had chance for Orient.

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]

[/quote]

Really? Perhaps you have very high standards?

I''d say he''s now our first choice centre back and certainly streets ahead of the Doc.

My standards are a lot higher than the dross we have turned out this season. I never said he wasn''t our best defender I said if the money was right I''d take it. And £3m is right as far as I can see. I don''t see a top flight defender and I don''t see a player to build a team around. I am a little confused as to why many fans on here are only prepared to blame Doc for our short fallings and nobody else. If the whole damn team is so wonderful then why are we so crap. We always get some one on here defending to the hilt every player. Colin'' he''s great same goes for his replacement Huges and Etuhu and fortheringham and Croft and Drury. So if everybody is so good why are we so $hite. Shackell make mistakes and a fair few of them. I don''t think that he would be that hard to replace at this level and we''d have £2m left over to buy other players. And we need them cos if we kept Shackell and the rest and changed nothing we would finish up as midtable fodder again next term. Some sacrifice is needed to build a team in this league with the resources we have. And if the “SHAX” sale could help to do that then I’d be right behind it. Do derby have a centre back worth £3m no they have a team.

I await all the posts pointing out the £5m pound rated centre back that Derby probably have now but you know what I mean.

I think that Shax is a cut above the average in the Champuionship and showed that with the right players around him he can cope with the Premiership.  There is little doubt about his defensive prowess - positioning (-look and see how often he is the last line of defence on the goal line when Gallacher or whoever has boobed, powerful enough to resist the most phsyical attackers, and seldom failing to make his header.I agree with other posters that he does usually get distance on his headers, so the only question is his distribution. Some of the best central defenders are not too good at this. John Terry, if he is one, is determined to get the ball away, into the crowd or wherever, if there is a threat. Shackell is regularly under pressure becuase the midfield have not stopped attacks as they should.If I have one complaint about Shax it is that he is so terribly one-footed, but this is something, like the distribution, which could be worked on by the coaches.My feeling is that unless we were offered a biggish fee, say £3m at least, we would struggle to find someone as good with the proceeds, bearing in mind all the people who will taker a cut from the income.

As I''ve mentioned in other places on these boards I think he has been defending better in recent weeks but before that I''d always thought he was a fairly weak defender.

Strikers with a bit of guile used to give him the run around far too easy and he also used to lose out on headers to players inches shorter than him. Not to mention his passing used to be an absolute disgrace for a professional footballer.

But yeah... he''s done better in recent weeks.

As he''s a left-footed centreback he''d probably get a higher fee than what he''s really worth as there ain''t too many left footers in that position and lots of managers like the balance.

Because he''s a young lad who has come through the ranks I always get the feeling some people are inclined to think a bit too highly of him. It''s a bit like Ryan Jarvis...if he''d been brought into the club for a fee people would think he was tosh but because he came through the ranks some think he''s got some brilliant ability that the foolish Nigel Worthington couldn''t see. (for the record I think Shacks is a notch above Jarvis)

Hardhouse wrote "If the whole damn team is so wonderful then why are we so crap."

I don''t think that we have been crap for the last few games - in fact before we went on to this break I thought that the team had been performing rather well. Still, everyone''s entitled to their own opinion...  

[quote user=""]

Hardhouse wrote "If the whole damn team is so wonderful then why are we so crap."

I don''t think that we have been crap for the last few games - in fact before we went on to this break I thought that the team had been performing rather well. Still, everyone''s entitled to their own opinion...  

[/quote]

As per you only see what you want. The quote is yet again taken out of context and yet again we pat ourselves on the back before we''ve done anything. Look at the table it shows the facts and it shows our performance as a team for the season not 2 games.

Okay, just saying what I see. You think the team is crap and I think that the current line up (certainly since the January additions) has looked like it has the makings of a decent team with a couple of potential additions. We''ll have to agree to differ.    

The only time that shackell makes mistakes is when he is playing with Doc and therefore covering for that useless twat.

The stats show that when Dublin and Shackell play together we dont leak that many goals and thats because not only can Dublin control the back four but shackell doesnt have to worry what errors his partner is making!!

If we sell shackell it will something we will regret....but saying that any large offer has to be considered.

[quote user=""]Okay, just saying what I see. You think the team is crap and I think that the current line up (certainly since the January additions) has looked like it has the makings of a decent team with a couple of potential additions. We''ll have to agree to differ.    [/quote]

Agreed my canary friend. Let hope those additions are good ''un

We''ll all get to see how good Shacks really is in the years to come anyways.

If you look at say Lescott, Dawson and Davenport they''re all young centrebacks from this league who (biggish) Premiership clubs were prepared to pay money for.

If he never gets any further than a club like Norwich then we''ll all know he''s just ordinary.

[quote user="Steven Smart"]

The only time that shackell makes mistakes is when he is playing with Doc and therefore covering for that useless twat.

The stats show that when Dublin and Shackell play together we dont leak that many goals and thats because not only can Dublin control the back four but shackell doesnt have to worry what errors his partner is making!!

If we sell shackell it will something we will regret....but saying that any large offer has to be considered.

[/quote]

What stats Steven?

Last time I looked the stats showed our best central defence partnership was undoubtedly Dohert and Shackell.

I think we should look at the recent actim stats he is placed 27th in the championship not bad for a defender, also how many defenders in this league have 3 goals without the misses he had.Think that when we play as a team he shows that he has the ability to go on to better things and also this is his first full season in the championship.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Steven Smart"]

[/quote]

What stats Steven?

Last time I looked the stats showed our best central defence partnership was undoubtedly Dohert and Shackell.

[/quote]

It was on a previous post but can not find it at mo...will keep looking tho.

And its based on games played together and goals leaked.

[quote user="Steven Smart"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Steven Smart"]

[/quote]

What stats Steven?

[/quote]

It was on a previous post but can not find it at mo...will keep looking tho.

And its based on games played together and goals leaked.

[/quote]

http://new.pinkun.com/cs/forums/877125/ShowPost.aspx

Try this one Steven.

I am totally convinced that are strongest partnership is Doherty and Shackell. Eight of our ten clean sheets have come with Doherty and Shackell at the back.

It will be interesting to see what happens with The Doc in the summer. I would imagine he is a high earner but he wouldn''t be easy to replace cheaply.

Interesting link which shows that we have 4 players in the Top 100 for the Championship (Ipswich have 2) and if these Stats are to be believed then our best 4 Players are - Hucks (8th) Shack (27th) Etuhu (64th) and Croft (95th). Particularly interesting to see one of our most criticised players, (Etuhu) figuring in the List, but it certainly supports Shacks as a top defender.

word was at the stoke game that we''ve had a 1.5 million bid from middlesboro for shackell.

its quite a bit of money but i don''t see why he''d wan''t to go there.

[quote user="deano"]

word was at the stoke game that we''ve had a 1.5 million bid from middlesboro for shackell.

its quite a bit of money but i don''t see why he''d wan''t to go there.

[/quote]

If he did want to go there I''m guessing it''d be because they''re a fairly big club that plays in the Premiership and aren''t short of a few quid.

Just a guess though.

my mate lives across the road from Shacks.. shacks lives next door to Hendo.

cant see Grant selling him... and doubt he''d want to go.. Wigan arent assured of their premiership status and i think are a small club who have got lucky in recent seasons.. they belong in league 1!

jas :)