Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

A "Senior" Moment

If the younger posters can forgive the older posters for a senior moment, how many posters ( apart from me ) were actually there through the games of our never to be forgotten fabulous FA Cup run of 1958/59 ( and in those days the FA Cup was really, really special ) ? Let''s have a list so that, if I find myself in England before the end of this calendar year, there''s a reference list of posters that might share a memory or two over a half a glass of ale ( all I can manage nowadays ).

I''m too young Yankee for those memories but I''d still like have a glass of ale with you. [:)]

I saw every match bar one YC, yes the match we lost the Luton one.

Over a mere half pint the conversation may be limited to debating roughly one game. Ha Ha !

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]If the younger posters can forgive the older posters for a senior moment, how many posters ( apart from me ) were actually there through the games of our never to be forgotten fabulous FA Cup run of 1958/59 ( and in those days the FA Cup was really, really special ) ? Let''s have a list so that, if I find myself in England before the end of this calendar year, there''s a reference list of posters that might share a memory or two over a half a glass of ale ( all I can manage nowadays ).[/quote]

Need you ask Yankee. Ricardo was present at all of them except Swindon away (Rnd 2) and the semi final replay at St Andrews (listened to it on the radio at school though).

The Cup Run was what made me a lifelong Norwich fan.  I was 7 and not from a football supporting family so never went to any of the games, but at school the Cup fever was intoxicating.  It will always be linked in my mind with the skiffle craze, as some of the older boys had formed a skiffle group complete with tea chest bass and washboard, and the head let them play in one of the classrooms during wet lunch breaks.  "Last Train to Sacramento" anyone?

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]If the younger posters can forgive the older posters for a senior moment, how many posters ( apart from me ) were actually there through the games of our never to be forgotten fabulous FA Cup run of 1958/59 ( and in those days the FA Cup was really, really special ) ? Let''s have a list so that, if I find myself in England before the end of this calendar year, there''s a reference list of posters that might share a memory or two over a half a glass of ale ( all I can manage nowadays ).[/quote]

If I was 20 years younger, I might have ''senior'' at the games........

I bought tickets for every match of the Cup run - yet only saw one game (Sheff Utd replay when Sandy Kennon made his debut).

The reason? My dad sent me down to Carrow Road on the days that the tickets first went up for sale.

However, one abiding memory, was when the tickets were on sale on a Saturday afternoon. City were away somewhere but the reserves were playing at home. To stop people going in the ground, out and re-entering so they could buy endless tickets, the gates were locked.

Quite a few arguments there as well with officials.

It was on this occasion I reckon that the record was set for a Reserves'' home game - the ground was absolutely packed. However, at half-time the gates were opened and the attendance magically shrunk to just a few hundred.

I remember my father''s excitement during the run...and his devastation at the "fixed" result against Luton (He always said it was because the Football League didn''t want the embarrassment of a lower league club at Wembley).

Sadly I cannot claim to be amongst the elite...but clearly remember the buzz around the City at the time.

[quote user="Budgie"]

I bought tickets for every match of the Cup run - yet only saw one game (Sheff Utd replay when Sandy Kennon made his debut).

The reason? My dad sent me down to Carrow Road on the days that the tickets first went up for sale.

However, one abiding memory, was when the tickets were on sale on a Saturday afternoon. City were away somewhere but the reserves were playing at home. To stop people going in the ground, out and re-entering so they could buy endless tickets, the gates were locked.

Quite a few arguments there as well with officials.

It was on this occasion I reckon that the record was set for a Reserves'' home game - the ground was absolutely packed. However, at half-time the gates were opened and the attendance magically shrunk to just a few hundred.

[/quote]

Yep I remember that Budgie. It wasn''t for tickets though, it was for a voucher to buy tickets for the semi-final at White Heart Lane. It was a reserve game against Plymouth I think, and the gate was over 15,000. I wanted 2 vouchers for me and my dad but they were only giving 1 per person. Luckily on the way home while walking down Riverside Rd, I found one lying on the path.

The actual tickets went on sale the following week and I remember joining the queue outside the Pineapple pub. (Thats the Trowse side of the County Hall roundabout for you of tender years)

Oh Happy Days.

I went to my first games with my Dad and Grandad during that cup run.  Brilliant!

[quote user="cityangel"]I''m too young Yankee for those memories but I''d still like have a glass of ale with you. [:)][/quote]

Apart from my 1/2 glass of ale, I always like to have a whole glass of shandy ( obviously I lost my manhood some time ago ). I am saving the shandy portion of my "pub crawl" for you angel.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="cityangel"]I''m too young Yankee for those memories but I''d still like have a glass of ale with you. [:)][/quote]

Apart from my 1/2 glass of ale, I always like to have a whole glass of shandy ( obviously I lost my manhood some time ago ). I am saving the shandy portion of my "pub crawl" for you angel.

[/quote]

( obviously I lost my manhood some time ago ). ?????

Was the operation a complete success?

[quote user="Yellow Rages"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

( obviously I lost my manhood some time ago ). ?????

Was the operation a complete success?

[/quote]

I don''t know YR. One of the side effects of the surgery is memory loss. One might say that''s a blessing.

I was a teenager at the time and to this day it is still the most exciting football experience of my life. Even more so than watching England win the World Cup at Wembley.

My only regret is that I had a complete set of Pink ''Uns for that whole season stashed away at my dear old mum''s house for donkey''s years - well into the ''90s - only to be mortified one visit to discover that she had thrown them out some months previously in a fit of spring cleaning. Still it was my fault for leaving them there!

I think it appropriate Yankee that we should remember our great manager Archie Macaulay, a Scot, and his wonderful team (2-3-5 formation!)

Ken Nethercott/SandyKennon

Bryan Thurlow     Ron Ashman

Roy McCrohan    Barry Butler     Matt Crowe

Errol Crossan  Terry Allcock   Terry Bly   Jimmy Hill   Bobby Brennan

Even in those days the team was a polyglot bunch (including a South African, a Canadian, two Irishmen, and two Scotsmen) and containing only two local lads Thurlow and Bly.

Moreover the run was characterised by City outfootballing the big guns. It was that as much as anything that captivated the national press.

And to top it all their pay packets were capped by the maximum wage of those days.

Salad days indeed.

Thanks for letting us share your ''senior'' moment, Yankee.

On The Ball City.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

I was a teenager at the time and to this day it is still the most exciting football experience of my life. Even more so than watching England win the World Cup at Wembley.

My only regret is that I had a complete set of Pink ''Uns for that whole season stashed away at my dear old mum''s house for donkey''s years - well into the ''90s - only to be mortified one visit to discover that she had thrown them out some months previously in a fit of spring cleaning. Still it was my fault for leaving them there!

I think it appropriate Yankee that we should remember our great manager Archie Macaulay, a Scot, and his wonderful team (2-3-5 formation!)

Ken Nethercott/SandyKennon

Bryan Thurlow     Ron Ashman

Roy McCrohan    Barry Butler     Matt Crowe

Errol Crossan  Terry Allcock   Terry Bly   Jimmy Hill   Bobby Brennan

Even in those days the team was a polyglot bunch (including a South African, a Canadian, two Irishmen, and two Scotsmen) and containing only two local lads Thurlow and Bly.

Moreover the run was characterised by City outfootballing the big guns. It was that as much as anything that captivated the national press.

And to top it all their pay packets were capped by the maximum wage of those days.

Salad days indeed.

Thanks for letting us share your ''senior'' moment, Yankee.

On The Ball City.

[/quote]

Sorry to Hear about your Pinkuns BBB. I just had to get up the loft to check that mine are still there!

Do you remember the Pre Match Pinkuns that were produced at the time? I''ve still got most of them too. I also found up some ticket stubs and programmes and a rosette I wore at the Man Utd game. I have never been able to chuck any of it out because it just brings back too many memories.

I also read an article that I had cut from a national newspaper after our semi-final defeat. It went on about how wonderful it was that class always tells in sport and how good it was to see that mighty Luton had triumped over those brave triers from little old Norwich. It made me angry at the time but you and I both know who was the best team over the two games. It still hurts me to think that we were beaten by the poorest team that we played during that run.

Great team, great days, great memories

I have too agree with you that It was the most exciting time of my football life.

I didn''t start going to Carrow Road until the late sixties so I missed out on the excitement of the 59 cup run. It''s always been a big part of the club for me and it was fresh in peoples minds when I started going.

The only "59er" I saw play was Terry Allcock who used to play half back beside a centre half called Laurie Brown when I first went. I remember an Easter Monday game against Huddersfield where we had injuries to all our forwards and Allcock played up front and scored the only goal of the game. I think it was maybe 1969.

I did meet Sandy Kennon in the early 90''s when he was a sales executive for Famous Grouse. He still looked fit enough to play football even though he must have been nearly 60.

I am a bit jealous of you guys!

The Ballard of Crossen & Bly

I remember if today

It was nineteen fifty nine

We’d just heard the score, It was the end of the line

And with mud caked on my knees

And a duffle bag full of dreams

And a tear in my eye, for what should have been

My mum she said

“Don’t worry boy another season they’ll be there”

But third division hero’s they don’t come every year

The canaries they’d been singing

But tonight you could hear them cry

For what should have been the year….Of Crossen and Bly

They never saw him coming

That crew cut down the wing

Like a flash of gold in the floodlit air, they never saw a thing

He’d float that ball over

Young Terry ‘d make his run

And like a bullet out of nowhere, the farmers boy ’d shoot home

There was Brennan, Hill and Alcock

Ashy playing the captains game

Thurlow, Crowe, McCrohen, with Nethercart injured Kenyon came

And big Barry was in the middle

Fighting for every ball

He gave his heart for this old city, a legend to us all

They played in yellow and green

From Norfolk down to Wales

Got mustard in their boots, got the Broads wind in their sails

They put the skids underneath the Busby Babes

Beat the Blades second time around

Then they went and they plucked the Spurs, all that was left was Luton Town

What a battle, what a fight

That return at St Andrews ground

Fifty thousand cried for glory between the City and the Town

And then Bingham stuck one home

You could feel the City die

In what should have been the year…Of Crossen and Bly

You can keep your four two four,

Your lying deep, your sponsored gear

Your million pound prima donnas, with fancy shorts and puffed up hair

They get a thousand quid a week

No wonder the games gone wrong

Who’d take his kid to stand in a cage where a load of thugs belong

And you can keep you coloured playback

Your electric scores and digital time

I’ll just have my memories of nineteen fifty nine

And that yellow and green army

Reaching for the sky

In what will always be the year…Of Crossen and Bly

[quote user="Gorleston Jim"]Mystic Megson, Or even "..last train to San Fernando..", but I suppose Sacremento is nice too, sorry , ha ha.[/quote]

Now that''s what I call a "senior moment" Jim!

Whatever, it was a classic, especially the penultimate line:  "Last Train to San Fernando/Last Tray-EEN to San Fernando/If you miss/This one/You''ll never get another one/Biddybiddy bumbum/To San Fernando".  I thank you.

[quote user="ricardo"]Yeah Bly

Even now that still brings tears to my eyes whenever I play it.

[/quote]

Rawhide does that to me...Rowdy Yates and all that.

Happy days....and the only care being whether my mum had forgotten the fruit gums or not.       [:''(]

[quote user="Cluck "][quote user="ricardo"]Yeah Bly

Even now that still brings tears to my eyes whenever I play it.

[/quote]

Rawhide does that to me...Rowdy Yates and all that.

Happy days....and the only care being whether my mum had forgotten the fruit gums or not.       [:''(]

[/quote]

Are you sure it''s not all that dust kicked up by the cattle thats getting in your eyes Cluck?

Gil Favour, Rowdy Yates and Wishbone. Yeah, they don''t make westerns like that anymore.

Did any of you know that Roy McCrohan used to teach dancing during the summer - he and his wife taught my friends and me at our local youth centre. 

[quote user="No 9 - Bly"]

The Ballard of Crossen & Bly

I remember if today

It was nineteen fifty nine

We’d just heard the score, It was the end of the line

And with mud caked on my knees

And a duffle bag full of dreams

And a tear in my eye, for what should have been

My mum she said

“Don’t worry boy another season they’ll be there”

But third division hero’s they don’t come every year

The canaries they’d been singing

But tonight you could hear them cry

For what should have been the year….Of Crossen and Bly

They never saw him coming

That crew cut down the wing

Like a flash of gold in the floodlit air, they never saw a thing

He’d float that ball over

Young Terry ‘d make his run

And like a bullet out of nowhere, the farmers boy ’d shoot home

There was Brennan, Hill and Alcock

Ashy playing the captains game

Thurlow, Crowe, McCrohen, with Nethercart injured Kenyon came

And big Barry was in the middle

Fighting for every ball

He gave his heart for this old city, a legend to us all

They played in yellow and green

From Norfolk down to Wales

Got mustard in their boots, got the Broads wind in their sails

They put the skids underneath the Busby Babes

Beat the Blades second time around

Then they went and they plucked the Spurs, all that was left was Luton Town

What a battle, what a fight

That return at St Andrews ground

Fifty thousand cried for glory between the City and the Town

And then Bingham stuck one home

You could feel the City die

In what should have been the year…Of Crossen and Bly

You can keep your four two four,

Your lying deep, your sponsored gear

Your million pound prima donnas, with fancy shorts and puffed up hair

They get a thousand quid a week

No wonder the games gone wrong

Who’d take his kid to stand in a cage where a load of thugs belong

And you can keep you coloured playback

Your electric scores and digital time

I’ll just have my memories of nineteen fifty nine

And that yellow and green army

Reaching for the sky

In what will always be the year…Of Crossen and Bly

[/quote]

Wow, No-9. Great stuff.

What''s the story behind it?

OTBC

[quote user="Cluck "]

I remember my father''s excitement during the run...and his devastation at the "fixed" result against Luton (He always said it was because the Football League didn''t want the embarrassment of a lower league club at Wembley).

Sadly I cannot claim to be amongst the elite...but clearly remember the buzz around the City at the time.

[/quote]

Shame your Dad didn''t take you with him Cluck...  I was rather hoping that you were going to join Yankee & Co for a half glass of ale!!!  [:D]

BBB Its called the Ballard of Crossan and Bly.

Its on a CD which you can get from the club shop called strangely enough, "On The Ball City"

It was released many moons ago and as I said, it still brings a tear to the eye of all us old ''uns who experienced those great days.

There is also a 2 part Documentary on the CD called "The 59 ers". You will love it.