Sign in to follow this  
BRAVEHEART

McVEIGH CAN DO A JOB FOR NORWICH

Concerning Paul McVeigh I''ve noticed that Grant has decided to put him out on loan to Burnley.
I know its to do with his career.

But personally I would be sad to see him leave because he has been a good player for us in the past. In my opinion he can still do a job for us. He is very capable of reproducing that sort of form and performances we saw when he scored 14 goals.

I think the problem with McVeigh is trying to fit him into the first team.
His best position is as an attacking midfielder. The problem with this is we would have to change the system though to fit him in. But for me I think he could play as a striker because this where he played best scoring 14 goals one season. The problem is do you then drop Huckerby or Martin who are in such fine form? - NO but then somehow you have to fit him in the team. I think you could have Martin and McVeigh upfront. Huckerby could then go back to his best position on the left wing. Or you could have him as a left winger but you''ve got Huckerby and Lappin who are always going to be 1st or 2nd choice left wingers.

----------------------------------------------------
                          GALLACHER

COLIN       DOHERTY        SHACKELL          DRURY

SAFRI

CROFT                                                      HUCKERBY

McVEIGH

EARNSHAW             MARTIN
---------------------------------------------------------------
                             GALLACHER

COLIN       DUBLIN                  SHACKELL          DRURY

CROFT       SAFRI                    ETUHU           HUCKERBY

MARTIN                  McVEIGH

-----------------------------------------------------
                          GALLACHER

COLIN       DUBLIN                 SHACKELL          DRURY

CROFT       SAFRI                    ETUHU            McVEIGH

MARTIN                 HUCKERBY

The guy has had his time, he will never be more than a squad player with PG.  I''m sure he earns a decent wage, so by freeing up that we can at least get a younger pair of legs in who''s going to be more hungry than McVeigh is now.

I agree that McVeigh could indeed still do a job for Norwich, however he is very short on match practice and has not been played in his rightful position since about the time of saving Worthy''s job some 15 months or so ago.

Hopefully Paul can get a run of games under his belt at Burnley and bang in a few goals (he has more chance of doing that there than here at Norwich at this moment in time)... Granty then may find that he is in a better position to offer McVeigh some kind of contract in the summer (however unlikely that may look at the moment).

The one striker that we should be looking to offload imo is Chris Brown!!!

I''m sure McVeigh could do a job for Norwich if played correctly.Question is, does McVeigh want to do a job for Norwich? On recent form you''d have to say no... he seems to be yet another Phil Mulryne or Mark Rivers.

Regardless of how he''s best utilised it''s really all about managers getting the best out of players - Worthington got some good out of him, Grant has got nothing from him and if the rumours are true & McVeigh does go to Charlton there''s every chance that a bloody good manager like Pardew will reap the best of him. 

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]After only 6 apperances? based on your logic Iwan Roberts would have been sold in his first season for us...

Mcveigh was finished here before grant arrived.

Far too concerned about to Delaneys to worry about playing.

Paul McSmall has stagnated at norwich and needs the move, can''t see him improving here. Getting heaved out on arse should make him pick himself up, that does mean that someone else will get the benefits of his obvious talent though.

Can''t see him doing much for us again so I think its worth us getting him off the wage bill. If this leads to him getting his act together then good luck to him.

Spot on Megson. McVeigh needs a move for the sake of his career. The loan to Burnley is a great chance for him to show other clubs what he can do for them. I hope he does well there and another club comes in for him.

He goes in the hog in armour more then delaneys now, he was in there last week taking over the pub quiz!

proberley be there tonite as well

If he can do a job then why isn''t he or why hasn''t he. He can''t and from what I gather won''t keep fit. He has not played well for us on a long term basis since the time before our promotion and he is in no shape to do so. His leg have gone as far as I can see. Get rid and move on.

[quote user="Greg Sayer"]

He goes in the hog in armour more then delaneys now, he was in there last week taking over the pub quiz!

proberley be there tonite as well

[/quote]

Won''t he be in Burnley tonight, checking out their local hostelries??

I can''t really believe we are still raking over this one - yes WLY is potentially one of our better players but for whatever reason has rarely achieved that potential (last time we saw prolonged decent form from him was when his contract was up), and it would probably be best for all involved if he left to try elsewhere.

I''m pretty sure that most people''s list of players who could probably leave without too much of a problem, when PG took over, included Flem, Hendo, WLY, Robbo, MLJ, Thorne (I personally liked Robbo but was well outnumbered).  Most of these are either gone or in the pipeline for going - surely that is a good thing?  I personally don''t think we''d really miss any of those who''ve not already left, and the the wages saved would top £1m (if the £9k/wk for Thorne is to be believed!). Of course they need replacing, but that saving would be dead useful (and presumably we are already saving part of that cost with players out on loan).

I think it''s time for him to go, as much for his sake as ours. He messed up his big chance by getting sent off in PG''s first game in charge and has looked pretty disinterested since. Hopefully, for his sake, a move will be the fresh start he needs and will encourage him to get back into shape and prove what a good footballer he can be.

It''s a shame really because when he''s fit and his heads right he''s probably the most naturally skilfull player we have at the club, and also one of the best finishers. If we''re going to have a fresh start though and look to get promoted next year we can''t afford to have players here who are not fully committed.

He''s probably on a fair wage as well considering he''s now our longest serving player, so if we add that to the money we''ll save when Thorne''s contract runs out at the end of the season it should release some funds to bring in new players.

If it is true, a move to Charlton would be a good move for Paul. He hasn''t been able to recapture the form that took us to that play-off final, and he''s getting on a bit now. So a fresh challenge may help him get back to being the player he can be.

[quote user="UEA Canary"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

After only 6 apperances? based on your logic Iwan Roberts would have been sold in his first season for us...
[/quote]

No he wouldn''t because even Iwan managed to find the net once or twice in his first season... he was also relatively proven at this level with Leicester and Wolves prior to us signing him (so it was obvious that it was just a matter of time until Iwan came good).

He was a good player for us, but his attitude does seem to be problematic. He looks a little heavy too. A move would be good for him - especially if he gets to play as a forward (I hate seeing forwards used on the wing - it never seems to work).

I think he will leave and do well and then we''ll all wonder why he had to go.

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]If it is true, a move to Charlton would be a good move for Paul.

He hasn''t been able to recapture the form that took us to that play-off final, and he''s getting on a bit now. So a fresh challenge may help him get back to being the player he can be.

[/quote]

and when exactly has he been given a chance to reproduce that kind of form (excluding the brief period when he was played upfront 15 months ago and saved Worthy''s kneck for a while in the process)?

He scored something like 5 goals in about as many games during that run before being hung out to dry in the reserves again didn''t he???  Dropping him after that spell would be the equivalent of dropping Chris Martin when Earnie is fit in a couple of weeks time... can you imagine what that would do to poor Chris''s confidence?  It was not the first time that McVeigh had been treated in that way however...

It was just the latest occasion that poor man-management by Worthy & Co had p*$$ed WLY off... One of Worthy''s infamous faults imo was purchasing too many of a particular type of player while ignoring the principles of how to build a team.

McVeigh has been treated very poorly by the club over a number of years imo and it is easy to see why a player with his undoubted ability has become so frustrated with the way that things have gone for him here....  any decent manager would of built a team around him and as the squad improved kept him as involved as possible.

Good Luck Paul wherever you go.... If Pardew and Charlton are interested then at least somebody seems to have faith in your ability to perform consistently at a high level again!!!

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]If it is true, a move to Charlton would be a good move for Paul.

He hasn''t been able to recapture the form that took us to that play-off final, and he''s getting on a bit now. So a fresh challenge may help him get back to being the player he can be.

[/quote]

Good Luck Paul wherever you go.... If Pardew and Charlton are interested then at least somebody seems to have faith in your ability to perform consistently at a high level again!!!

[/quote]

charlton wont be at a higher level next season smudger

jas :)

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="UEA Canary"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]After only 6 apperances? based on your logic Iwan Roberts would have been sold in his first season for us...[/quote]

No he wouldn''t because even Iwan managed to find the net once or twice in his first season... he was also relatively proven at this level with Leicester and Wolves prior to us signing him (so it was obvious that it was just a matter of time until Iwan came good).

[/quote]Regardless, you are prepared to write off a player you''ve never seen and he''s only made 6 brief apperances, I don''t know whether he will be good certainly looks more promising than thorne, I hope brown comes good. But Based on your recent predictions of doom, its looking good for him then!

McVeigh has been treated very poorly by the club over a number of years imo and it is easy to see why a player with his undoubted ability has become so frustrated with the way that things have gone for him here....  any decent manager would of built a team around him and as the squad improved kept him as involved as possible

Absolute tosh,the overweight waster has been nothing but a drain on the wage bill for far too long!

Smudger''s right Paul Mcveigh could still do a good job for us .....  AS A BALL BOY/GIRL.

Wake up people stop living in the past, even if you don''t think Mcveigh''s been given enuf of a chance this season it is because he is fat; which in itself is unproffessinal and has probably shown nothing in training. I guarantee you he will not prove me wrong when he leaves, he will fade into obscurity because of his lack of effort.

He (McVeigh) does appear to have a lazy streak about him. He was a Northern Ireland international up until a while ago, but retired for no apparent reason, despite most motivated footballers seemingly willing to chew their own fingers off to play for their country. One can only wonder how Huckerby feels about McVeigh turning his nose up at his country, bearing in mind the recent discussions with Hucks about not having made the ultimate step-up to full international level.

To me, McVeigh just doesn''t appear to be willing to slog his guts out to prove a point to anyone. I suspect that his tenure at Burnley will prove a false dawn, and interest from afar will amount to little more than interest.

Stay tuned for the next installment of The McVeigh Chronicles...