Sign in to follow this  
Evil Monkey

Earnie counting his comeback in days...

Well, about two weeks more specifically...Earnie still wants a 20 goal seasonThis could prove an interesting and probably most welcome quandry for Grant:Does he stick Hucks back on the left and play Martin with Earnie?Or will Earnie have to fight for his place? Maybe a 4-3-3, with Martin spearheading and Earnie and Hucks picking up the flick-ons in the box?Interesting decisions for Grant to make, but what would you do?

However everyone is slotted into place it will be exciting to see how Martin and Earny work together I just hope that it can be a leathal combination without any serious injuries in next season''s campaign. 

It will be very exciting to see how it works EM...

I think the key thing is that the front two are not sacrificed for Earnie as soon as he is fit. Huckerby and Martin have made the most of the chance they''ve been given and it should be up to them to perform at that standard. When that level drops is when Earnshaw should get his chance.

That is real and fair competition for places.

Well i am sure I am not alone in hopeing that with the return of Earnie up front with Martin will deliver the best strike force in the division.The potential of next season with both getting 20 goals + a peace would surely have us heading for the play offs at the very least.I think it will be a matter of Hucks returning to the left side with Chadwick and Croft battling for the right side.Personaly I would go with Chadwick when possible. I feel Crofts final ball/shot is appauling something he has to work on pre season.With perhaps a new keeper,centre back (to replace Doc) and a central midfielder we would be well on our way.

Would be excellent if he is back in time for Grant to experiment with partnerships at the end of this season and not the start of next;   or is it that a 20 goal season would show he is fit, scoring and ready for a move?

I need Earnie back and scoring to help my finances!!

I had a bet with a Man U fan at the start of the season Earnie would score more than their leading scorer, including domestic and euro cups!!

Earnie''s 1 behind Ronaldo as it stands...

ive got a bet on him, placed in august, to become top scorer this season in the league! i hope he comes back scoring as i still have a chance of winning my money!

jas :)

Would be great if Earnie comes back in time to top twenty goals for the season. He got his 17 so fast that twenty was a certainty before he got injured. Some club records could have even been under threat had he stayed fit.

The emergence of Chris Martin and the brilliant goals from Hucks have rather put Earnies achievements in the shade, but it should be remembered that 20 goals a season strikers are rare and very valuable. In modern times only Iwan Roberts, Chris Sutton, Kevin Drinkell, John Deehan, Justin Fashanu and Ted MacDougal (twice!) have scored 20 or more for us.

Its a very exciting ''problem'' to have isn''t it. As I see it, they all have to fight for their place and those that perform best spearhead our attack which is exactly as it should be. My only concern is that Hucks could be forced back on to the wing and (apart from leaving Drury exposed) I think that he has shown that he is most effective when he can mix it up and change positions/flanks during the game. He is so much easier for the opposition to control when he is forced into playing a predictable role. But, as I said, it is the best type of problem to have!

And yes, NN, I was going to point out that Supermac (the real one, not that Geordie plum[:D]) has done the ''twenty'' twice.  

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Would be great if Earnie comes back in time to top twenty goals for the season. He got his 17 so fast that twenty was a certainty before he got injured. Some club records could have even been under threat had he stayed fit.

The emergence of Chris Martin and the brilliant goals from Hucks have rather put Earnies achievements in the shade, but it should be remembered that 20 goals a season strikers are rare and very valuable. In modern times only Iwan Roberts, Chris Sutton, Kevin Drinkell, John Deehan, Justin Fashanu and Ted MacDougal (twice!) have scored 20 or more for us.

[/quote]

I remember one of Bruce Rioch''s seasons when we would have had Bellamy and Iwan up front together if it hadn''t been for Craig''s knee injury. IMO they would have got 20 goals apiece in that season...

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

ive got a bet on him, placed in august, to become top scorer this season in the league! i hope he comes back scoring as i still have a chance of winning my money!

jas :)

[/quote]

Me too, got it at 10/1

[quote user="mbncfc"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I remember one of Bruce Rioch''s seasons when we would have had Bellamy and Iwan up front together if it hadn''t been for Craig''s knee injury. IMO they would have got 20 goals apiece in that season...

[/quote]

Was 98/99 mbncfc, and it was Rioch''s first season. After the Muscat incident at Wolves Bellers was only out for just over a month though. However, as he finished the season on 19 goals I have no doubt he could joined Iwan on 20 goals if he hadn''t have got that injury.

It''s a shame because it would have been the only time in my memory that we would have had two players each getting 20 goals!

People say that if Bellamy hadn''t been injured we would have made the play offs that season. I have my doubts, we finished 9th but an huge 14 points off 6th place.